Antenna for Office Radio

loaf...@adelphia.net

May 24, 2006, 6:03:02 PM5/24/06
I finally have an office where I can have a radio. Unfortunately it
is on the bottom floor - more or less a basement and has no window. I
am getting a CCRadio Plus (yes I have read the pros and cons but I got
a good deal relatively speaking to the list price, and have a 30-day
trial). My opinion is that I may need some sort of other antenna
especially for AM and maybe FM too for that matter due to the possibly
poor building location, plus it is a small town so the best stations
are at least 50 - 100 miles. I know about the selct-a-tenna etc. Crane
sells but am not eager to pony up more $ should I need an external
antenna. Is there anything that will look suitable for office use that
I can add to the external antenna jack on the Crane if I need it that
won't set me back a lot more cash? Thanks.

David

May 24, 2006, 6:10:51 PM5/24/06

dxAce

May 24, 2006, 6:14:06 PM5/24/06

David wrote:

He was asking about an antenna for a RADIO, 'tard boy, not that damn satellite
crap you're shilling for.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Bob Miller

May 24, 2006, 6:25:41 PM5/24/06
On 24 May 2006 15:03:02 -0700, loaf...@adelphia.net wrote:

The radio has a built-in 8-inch ferrite bar antenna, so simply
rotating the radio should be sufficient for bringing in most stations.
Otherwise, the manual recommends a 50 foot wire on the jack as an
external AM antenna. You could try that as a cheapo option.

I have the Select-a-tenna device, and it works extremely well on weak
AM stations, "if" they are in the clear, frequency-wise.

There's no jack for an external FM antenna, so short of coupling
something to the built-in whip, your options are limited.

It's a good radio, but don't expect miracles.

bob
k5qwg

Doug Smith W9WI

May 24, 2006, 10:50:26 PM5/24/06

I don't think satellite radio is going to work very well in a windowless
basement.

--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Eric F. Richards

May 24, 2006, 11:19:06 PM5/24/06
Bob Miller <NOS...@neosoft.com> wrote:

> The radio has a built-in 8-inch ferrite bar antenna, so simply
> rotating the radio should be sufficient for bringing in most stations.
> Otherwise, the manual recommends a 50 foot wire on the jack as an
> external AM antenna. You could try that as a cheapo option.

I had excellent results using copper alarm tape from Rat Shack to use
as an antenna. Even soldering wire to it (not while it's on the
window!) turned out to be pretty easy. Put the tape along the edge of
a window but not up against the frame itself -- if you have window
shades, the top of the window may be your best bet.

--
Eric F. Richards, efr...@dim.com
"It's the Din of iBiquity." -- Frank Dresser

cd...@bfn.org

May 25, 2006, 8:14:08 AM5/25/06

Art Harris

May 25, 2006, 8:27:53 AM5/25/06
loaf...@adelphia.net wrote:
> I finally have an office where I can have a radio. Unfortunately it
> is on the bottom floor - more or less a basement and has no window. I
> am getting a CCRadio Plus (yes I have read the pros and cons but I got
> a good deal relatively speaking to the list price, and have a 30-day
> trial). My opinion is that I may need some sort of other antenna
> especially for AM and maybe FM too for that matter due to the possibly
> poor building location, plus it is a small town so the best stations
> are at least 50 - 100 miles.

If this is a steel frame office building, your reception in the AM band
and lower frequency SW bands will be very poor. You'll need to sneak a
wire outside and up toward the roof.

Even FM reception in a basement will be limited to local stations. You
gotta get something up on the roof.

Art N2AH

RHF

May 25, 2006, 1:34:55 PM5/25/06
EFR,

Yes Copper {Foil} Alarm Tape can be put to use as
Loop Antenna around the Window about an Inch or
two away from the Metal Frame of the Window.

If the Loop does not work 'cut' the Tape in the middle
of the Loop and try it as a Folded {Bent} Dipole. The
Dipole-on-the-Window usually works better for FM Radio.

Also if the Copper {Foil} Tape is too much of a Eye
Sore - Then try very thin Magnet Wire with a few
pieces of Scotch {Clear} Tape to hold it in-place on
the Window. The Magnet Wire on the Window
usually allows for several turns about and Inch
apart either as a Loop Antenna or as a bent spiral
Random Wire Antenna.

just my two cents worth - iane ~ RHF
.

/ \
-------!-------

RHF

May 25, 2006, 1:42:51 PM5/25/06
Bob [K5QWG],

Yes the Select-A-Tenna placed near a Window or
Out-Side {Exterior} Wall where the AM/MW Radio
Reception is good can be one way of 'importing a
Signal from a remote location to a Desk inside an
Office.

Use Speaker Wire {Twisted} with an 1/8" Mono-Plug
on one end to plug into the Select-A-Tenna and
connect the two Wires on the other end to the
Terminals of the Radio.

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF
.

/ \
-------!-------

Bob Miller

May 25, 2006, 2:30:57 PM5/25/06
On 25 May 2006 10:42:51 -0700, "RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net>
wrote:

>Bob [K5QWG],
>
>Yes the Select-A-Tenna placed near a Window or
>Out-Side {Exterior} Wall where the AM/MW Radio
>Reception is good can be one way of 'importing a
>Signal from a remote location to a Desk inside an
>Office.

Wrong, it doesn't have to be where the reception is "good" or near a
window.

bob
k5qwg

sdan...@nyc.rr.com

May 25, 2006, 4:27:43 PM5/25/06
RHF, you'll appreciate this rather funky loop:

http://tinyurl.com/z97kx

RHF

May 25, 2006, 10:44:33 PM5/25/06
Steve,

New - Low Impedance AM {Medium Wave} VLF LF
Loop Antenna design by W1VLF
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/9756

Actually - I have looked at this new Loop Antenna
that was designed by W1VLF and find it interesting.
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ9729415901
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Low-impedance-AM-VLF-LF-loop-No-tuning-low-noiz_W0QQitemZ9729415901

W1VLF Says - - - Hello Folks,
Here it is!! Buried deep in the hills of Harwinton Connecticut
the W1VLF Antenna Research Facility has developed a new
Low Impedance Loop Antenna.

This Loop Antenna is Round for those of you who prefer
that Shape and to the Stodgy Square.

The Round Shape Loop Antenna allows me to eliminate 7
of the 8 Solder Connections which Lowers the Impedance.

The Flat Solid Copper Strap is 4" Wide and has about 3
Times the Surface Area of the Square Loop Antenna.
The Copper Strap is 0.064" Thick which is plenty Strong
to hold its Shape.

The Diameter of this Loop Antenna 18" which is significantly
Smaller than the former Square Loop Antenna design.

HOWEVER

The Improvements in the Materials used in Construction,
and lack of Solder Joints make this Loop Antenna very
efficient.

Many Hours were spent on Testing Signal Levels on
Frequencies from 24 KHz to 1700 KHz. Signal Levels
are only 1 to 1.5 DB down from the much Larger Square
Loop Antenna.

The Copper has been Brushed, and then Coated with
Several Coats of Lacquer and looks beautiful!!

The Loop Antenna is 'lower profile' than the Square
Loop Antenna and should blend nicely where covert
operations are needed.

For 'lower profile applications' the Copper would be
not be Coated and left to form its own Patina.

This Loop Antenna comes with the standard recessed
UHF Female Coax Connector {SO-239} , that is protected
from the elements by the Detachable Mast. The pictured
Wooden Base is for Show {Demonstration Purposes Only}
and not included in this Auction Sale.

The Amplifier for this new Round Loop Antenna remains
the same; except it has been Labled more Professionally.
{please forgive the old pictures}

Ask me about the new Active Antenna in the Skunk Works
{under Design and Development} even as we speak!!

Questions, Comments, Please let me know
Paul C @ s net . net
[ W1VLF ]

W1VLF = eBay Seller : vanagon
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZvanagon
-aka- Rescue Electronic Surplus
http://stores.ebay.com/RESCUE-ELECTRONIC-SURPLUS
Look-Up W1VLF => http://www.qrz.com/

- - - NOTE - Above "Text" was Modified by RHF - - -

keeping you in the 'loop' - iane ~ RHF
.
Shortwave Listener Antennas => http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
SWL Antenna Group => http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
.
The Shortwave Listener's Blessing :
SWL BLESSING => http://tinyurl.com/s2bjm
May You Never Tire of Listening to the Radio and Always
have Strong Signals and Noise Free Reception ~ RHF {ibid}
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/9233
.

/ \
-------!-------

cuh...@webtv.net

May 25, 2006, 11:28:12 PM5/25/06
KVOO FM,Tulsa,Oklahoma (wonderfull Western Ranch music) used to be on AM
and sometimes at night,I could pick it up on any of my radios that
work.Then they went to FM,messed me up!
cuhulin

David Eduardo

May 25, 2006, 11:41:38 PM5/25/06

<cuh...@webtv.net> wrote in message

> KVOO FM,Tulsa,Oklahoma (wonderfull Western Ranch music) used to be on AM
> and sometimes at night,I could pick it up on any of my radios that
> work.Then they went to FM,messed me up!

I guarantee that what messed you up was not a radio station in Oklahoma.

cuh...@webtv.net

May 25, 2006, 11:32:40 PM5/25/06
Buried in the hills of Conneticut,eh? Well,that rules that out!
cuhulin

an_old_friend

May 25, 2006, 11:47:40 PM5/25/06
you know for once I think you and I are in absolute agreement

OTOH to his credit he does admit to being messed up even if he does nt
know the reason he is messed up

RHF

May 26, 2006, 3:19:28 AM5/26/06
Bob [K5QWG],

Your AM/MW Radio plus AM/MW Loop Antenna
- Three Ways to Use Them Together
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/9766

1 - YES - You are right the Select-A-Tenna can be used beside the
AM/MW Radio for improved reception; and often doing just that works OK.

READ - AM/MW DXing = Your Radio + Lazy Susan + Select-A-Tenna
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/1787

READ - About the 'alternative' to the common Loop Antenna
The Long "LoopStick" Antenna for AM/MW/BCB DXing
-by- Bill Bowden
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/3075

2 - Sometimes inside and Office Building it is necessary
to run a Wire to an Out-Side Area or Window to
'import' a Signal to the Office Space {Desk} which is
the Listening Area for the Radio. The Select-A-Tenna
is then used as a AM/MW Tuner-Coupler for the
External Wire Antenna. -Example-
http://www.ccrane.com/antennas/am-antennas/select-a-tenna-model-m.aspx

READ - Using a AM/MW Loop Antenna as a Tuner-Coupler
with your GE Superadio / CCRadio+ / Grundig S350
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/2272

READ - For Improved AM/MW DXing - Think Loop Antenna
as a Coupler Tuner
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/2240

3 - Other times when a single AM/MW Radio Station
is the Target-of-Interest of the Radio Listener and
Interior AM/MW Radio reception is difficult. The
Select-A-Tenna can be located near a Window or
Exterior Wall and a feed-in-line {Twisted Speaker
Wire} can be used to 'import' the selected AM/MW
Radio Station's Signal into the Radio via the Radio's
AM/MW Antenna Input Terminals or Jack. -Example-
http://www.ccrane.com/antennas/am-antennas/select-a-tenna-hardwire-model.aspx

READ - "HOW TO USE" a AM/MW Loop Antenna
with a 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/1865

More to read about AM / MW Radfio Reception :

* Improving AM Radio Reception - Carlos
http://www.ccrane.com/library/am-reception.08.25.03.aspx

* Improving AM Reception In An Office Building - Carlos
http://www.ccrane.com/library/office-am-reception.04.29.02.aspx

* AM / MW Radio Reception Tips - Carlos
http://www.ccrane.com/library/am-reception-tips.10.29.01.aspx

* C. Crane Co. "Carlos" - About the Author
http://www.ccrane.com/library/carlos-perez-bio.aspx

READ - Using the Built-in WHIP Antenna
for Better AM/MW Radio Reception
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/875

READ - AM/MW Radio Reception : Whip Antenna Up? -or- Down?

READ - About - The three 'small' commercial AM/MW/BCB
Loop Antennas and more...

am - a medium wave goodbye - iane ~ RHF
.

RHF

May 26, 2006, 3:29:57 AM5/26/06
Art [N2AH],

I would agree the deeper that you get into the Core
{Interior} of a Steel Frame Office Building the more
difficult it is to get a Strong Clean Signal for all kinds
of Radio Reception. Getting a piece of Wire Out-Side
and Up-in-the-Air {On-the-Roof} is on of the better
solutions to correcting this problem and usually
easier then gettting promoted to a job with a Corner
Office Window :o)

RHF

May 26, 2006, 3:34:50 AM5/26/06
DE - Not your usual Style and Tenor of Posting . . .

Wait a Day and then Re-Read It : Ask Yourself
"Now Did I Really Want To Say That ?"

something to think about ~ RHF
.
.
. .

sdan...@nyc.rr.com

May 26, 2006, 8:38:15 AM5/26/06
An interesting link. I've heard numerous business commentators remarks
that both Sirius and XM are in real trouble. Part of the problem is
that they're poorly run companies, part is that people are beginning to
realize that the technology is obsolete, and part is that the
programming is still extremely "commercial", despite lacking
commercials. Too bad, I guess. They should have known better.

homepc

May 26, 2006, 10:59:34 AM5/26/06
http://tinyurl.com/jdchp

I just got this loop antenna in the mail a couple of days ago. I haven't
tried it at the office yet, but it works well at boosting weak AM stations
in the early evening.

I'm in southern Manitoba and usually listen to KFAB 1110 Omaha Nebraska at
night (just for a laugh). In the winter the station usually comes in clear,
but in the summer it's hit and miss. This loop antenna was able to boost a
barely audible signal to a listenable level. It's probably just the same as
a select a tenna or the Terk 1000 , and it works between 515 to 1920 kHz.
My results with the TG-33 antenna didn't even come close.

The seller marked it as a gift, so no customs or sales tax :)

<loaf...@adelphia.net> wrote in message

Telamon

May 26, 2006, 3:10:06 PM5/26/06
In article <1148647095.7...@j55g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
sdan...@nyc.rr.com wrote:

XM and Sirius are both speculative stocks. Both companies have high
startup costs launching those satellites and current operating costs so
the EPS is still negative for both.

They both need a large numbers of subscribers to be profitable. Their
subscription base keeps growing but they are not there yet. Radios
installed by the auto manufactures are their best bet for this to happen.

<http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ae?s=SIRI>

<http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ae?s=XMSR>

The last two years have had good news for both companies with auto
companies committing to putting the receivers in their cars and a lot
of press for on the air talent that was signed up but it looks like
that news has run its course and the stock price is dropping. Looks
like Sirius has been selling off since last Sept. and XM since last
Jan. I have not looked at them that closely but their subscription base
is growing and the operating costs should not be going up so at some
point they should be profitable.

If either company comes up with more positive press like more new talent
being signed up to boost subscriptions then you can expect the price to

I'll stick with terrestrial radio and when there is nothing I want to
hear on it I put in a CD of music.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Stephanie Weil

May 26, 2006, 3:15:52 PM5/26/06
sdan...@nyc.rr.com wrote:
> part is that people are beginning to
> realize that the technology is obsolete,

How is the technology obsolete? It's just subscriber-based bird-feed
radio.

Stephanie

Lisa Simpson

May 26, 2006, 4:32:50 PM5/26/06
Definitely an interesting approach: "This is an easy to use Antenna that
you simply place beside your radio, no wires to attach !"

"homepc" <wie...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

cuh...@webtv.net

May 26, 2006, 4:24:15 PM5/26/06
I love Oklahoma,(been there a few times before) and Oklahoma
wimmins.Oklahoma never messed me up.
www.hometownfreepress.com OKLAHOMA
cuhulin

cuh...@webtv.net

May 26, 2006, 4:31:48 PM5/26/06
You want a loop antenna? Showed up in your snail mail,eh? Poor baby,wind
some wire around a piece of cardboard or around a window.There is your
cheap effective loop antenna.
cuhulin

James Douglas

May 27, 2006, 6:59:22 PM5/27/06
David wrote:
> On 24 May 2006 15:03:02 -0700, loaf...@adelphia.net wrote:
>
>> I finally have an office where I can have a radio. Unfortunately it
>> is on the bottom floor - more or less a basement and has no window. I
>> am getting a CCRadio Plus (yes I have read the pros and cons but I got
>> a good deal relatively speaking to the list price, and have a 30-day
>> trial). My opinion is that I may need some sort of other antenna
>> especially for AM and maybe FM too for that matter due to the possibly
>> poor building location, plus it is a small town so the best stations
>> are at least 50 - 100 miles. I know about the selct-a-tenna etc. Crane
>> sells but am not eager to pony up more $ should I need an external
>> antenna. Is there anything that will look suitable for office use that
>> I can add to the external antenna jack on the Crane if I need it that
>> won't set me back a lot more cash? Thanks.
>>

> www.sirius.com
>
> www.xmradio.com

www.sirius.com does not work in my office, 5th floor next to the window,
Dallas, TX! Wish I never spent the $120.00 + monthly
fees. Wife has one in the car also and she likes it there but inside
pretty much everywhere it does not work very good at all.