Casual AM/MW DXing ? Grundig S350 -=V=- Sony ICF-SW7600GR + Select-A-Tenna

RHF

Apr 27, 2005, 8:41:32 AM4/27/05
For One and All,
.
The Sony ICF-SW7600GR paired with a Select-A-Tenna
and placed on a Lazy Susan; should out perform the
Grundig S350 / Tecsun BCL-2000 in most locations
for casual AM/MW DXing.
.
The 'advantage' of the Grundig S350 / Tecsun BCL-2000
over the Sony ICF-SW7600GR paired with a Select-A-Tenna
is CO$T. As a "Stand-A-Lone" AM/MW DXing Radio the
Grundig S350 / Tecsun BCL-2000 is 1/2 to 1/3 the CO$T
of the Sony ICF-SW7600GR paired with a Select-A-Tenna.
.
Some would also observe that the Grundig S350 /
Tecsun BCL-2000 "Sounds" much better that the
Sony ICF-SW7600GR and is the better over-all
Program Listener Radio. The addition of a Pair of
External Powered Speakers can make the Sony
ICF-SW7600GR sound better then the Grundig S350 /
Tecsun BCL-2000; but then again that adds to the
CO$T of the entire set-up for improved Radio
Listening Enjoyment.
.
.
TWO 'CASUAL' AM/MW DXING CHOICES : YOU DECIDE !
.
Grundig S350 / Tecsun BCL-2000 { By-Itself }
.
- - - = = = V = = = - - -
.
Sony ICF-SW7600GR paired with a Select-A-Tenna
and placed on a Lazy Susan plus a Pair of
External Powered Speakers.
.
.
~ RHF
. . . . .

Message has been deleted

Li-Changchun

Apr 27, 2005, 10:00:19 PM4/27/05
The 7600GR doesn't need a Select-A-Tenna to outperform the the S360 on any
band.

"Dan" <y...@momma.net> wrote in message
> In article <1114605692.0...@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,

> "RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
> > For One and All,
> > .
> > The Sony ICF-SW7600GR paired with a Select-A-Tenna
> > and placed on a Lazy Susan; should out perform the
> > Grundig S350 / Tecsun BCL-2000 in most locations
> > for casual AM/MW DXing.
>

> So it's your contention that a more expensive radio - coupled with an
> additional cost, extra antenna - will outperform a less expensive radio,
> using only it's built-in antenna?
>
> Congratulations, Captain Obvious!
>
> For One and All, RHF is a dumbass.
>
> Dan

RHF

Apr 28, 2005, 11:09:46 AM4/28/05
DAN - Now That Is An "Expert" Opinion ~ RHF

RHF

Apr 28, 2005, 11:44:51 AM4/28/05
Li-Cc,
.
Well I guess that this is one of those . . .
Your Mileage May Vary [YMMV] Things !
.
My personal experience using these two
Radios both in the Urban High RFI/EMF
Noise Environment of Ok-Land, Cali-4-Ni-A
and the 'Quiet' Up-in-the-Hills and 'Difficult'
Down-in-the-Valley (Twain Harte, CA) tells
me what I have written is a reasonable
assessment of the Sony ICF-SW7600GR
and the Grundig S350 / Tecsun BCL-2000
with respect to their AM/MW DXing abilities.
.
I attribute this the small size of the
Sony ICF-SW7600GR Radio's built-in
AM/MW Ferrite Rod Loop Antenna.
Plus the extra AM/MW Sensitivity of
the Grundig S350 / Tecsun BCL-2000.
.
I will also repeat my assertion that :

" the Grundig S350 / Tecsun BCL-2000
"Sounds" much better that the Sony
ICF-SW7600GR and is the better
over-all Program Listener Radio. "
.
at least this is what my ears tell me ~ RHF

Li.Changchun

Apr 28, 2005, 7:39:25 PM4/28/05

"RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

> .
> I will also repeat my assertion that :
> " the Grundig S350 / Tecsun BCL-2000
> "Sounds" much better that the Sony
> ICF-SW7600GR and is the better
> over-all Program Listener Radio. "

[snip & flip]

> I attribute this the small size of the
> Sony ICF-SW7600GR Radio's built-in
> AM/MW Ferrite Rod Loop Antenna.
> Plus the extra AM/MW Sensitivity of
> the Grundig S350 / Tecsun BCL-2000.

Your contradicting yourself. You don't need a "Select-A-Tenna" for that. I
find the MW sensitivity of the 7600, especially with the Synch Detector, to
be very sensitive. When you alegedly made your comparison did you turn the
S.D. on? And going further down the band it is equaly sensitive in the LW
band off the built-in rod antenna. Off the whip the 7600 will beat the best
of them in its price class.

How is the S350 when adjacent channel interference is a problem? What about
images? The 7600 has the tools to effectively deal with these issues. Are
the S350 tools effective? But a S9+20 program listener wouldn't need these
tools.

Any radio with a large speaker will sound "good" for S9+20 flamethrower
program listening. Anyone that would base there receiver decision mainly on
speaker size is fooling themselves among other things. Especially when the
price difference
between these two receivers is so small. Perhaps you forget that the 7600
also has audio out and can be used to feed a "pair" of superb speakers of
your choice for excellent audio with stereo on FM to boot. In which case
almost any decent pair of powered external speakers will make the S350
speaker sound like hell. And in case you were not aware, the Sony's are
known for having exceptionally clean audio output. What does the S350 sound
like on outboard speakers?

If all you want to do is listen to a hand full of flamethrowers without any
interest in portable weak signal work, then sure get yourself the cheapest
big speaker you can find. In my opinion that isn't SWL in the purist
definition .

Michael Black

Apr 28, 2005, 7:52:41 PM4/28/05

"Li.Changchun" (Li.Cha...@ccp.gov.cn) writes:

> Any radio with a large speaker will sound "good" for S9+20 flamethrower
> program listening. Anyone that would base there receiver decision mainly on
> speaker size is fooling themselves among other things. Especially when the
> price difference
> between these two receivers is so small. Perhaps you forget that the 7600
> also has audio out and can be used to feed a "pair" of superb speakers of
> your choice for excellent audio with stereo on FM to boot. In which case
> almost any decent pair of powered external speakers will make the S350
> speaker sound like hell. And in case you were not aware, the Sony's are
> known for having exceptionally clean audio output. What does the S350 sound
> like on outboard speakers?

And the odd thing is that "sound" seems to be a constant theme in
this newsgroup. "X isn't as good as Y, but it has better sound".

It's infinitely easier to attach an external speaker, as you suggest,
than it is to fix other things that a radio is not good at.

In the old days, many shortwave receivers didn't even have speakers
built in, and if they did it was a minimal one for convenience and
you were realistically expected to attach an external speaker for
most use.

You can't get good sound with a tiny speaker, and all you get is the
raw speaker with no attempt at making the box fit it. The minute you
go to an external speaker, you no longer have to worry about size of
the raw speaker, you can pick one with a nice big magnet which will
handle more power (the tiny speakers may not do well at higher volunes)
and you can put it in a box that will optimize the effect of that raw
speaker.

Even forget all that, many a cheap speaker box will be better than an
internal speaker.

Michael

Message has been deleted

RHF

Apr 30, 2005, 5:24:13 AM4/30/05
Li-Cc,
.
I do not recall that you have ever said that you in-fact
have done a side-by-side Test of these two Radios.
.
Question - So have you try these two Radios in a
side-by-side test with or without the Select-A-Tenna ? ? ?
.