What About the G5RV 'type' Dipole Antenna made of Slinkys ?

RHF

Sep 24, 2005, 12:45:34 PM9/24/05
For One and All,
.
What About the G5RV 'type' Dipole Antenna made of Slinkys ?
http://www.qsl.net/aa3px/g5rv.htm
http://www.cebik.com/wire/g5rv.html
http://www.wb0w.com/g5rv/g5rv_antennas.htm
http://www.roadkill.com/~unwin/G5RV.html
http://www.packetradio.com/g5rv.htm
.
First the G5RV is a Center Fed 'Dipole' type Antenna :
Where one Side is 'equal' to the other Side !
.
What makes the G5RV Antenna 'unique' from the Dipole is the
Dual Section Feed-Line composed of a 300 Ohm Twin Lead or
450 Ohm Ladder Line Matching Section 'connected' to a
Coax Cable main Feed-in-Line.
.
To put it simply a G5RV Antenna made of Slinkys will have
an Equal Number of Slinkys on both Sides.
.
Basics - The standard Full Size Slinky has about 100 Turns
with a Diameter of 2 3/4 Inches and a Circumference of
8.64 Inches for a Total Wire Length of 72 Feet.
.
How Long Does It Get ? - I Calculate that the Optimum*
"Stretched-Out" Length of a Slinky would be about 22.9 Feet.
.
* Note - Based on the "Spacing" of the Coil being 'equal'
to the Diameter of the Coil.
.
.
SIZING THE G5RV "SLINKY" ANTENNA :
.
A Two (2) Slinky G5RV Antenna (1 Slinky per Arm of the Dipole)
would be about 45.8 Feet Tip-to-Tip. The 300 Ohm Twin Lead
would be 15 Feet long and the Antenna Rigged at 23 Feet.
.
A Three (3) Slinky G5RV Antenna (1.5 Slinkys per Arm of the
Dipole) would be about 68.7 Feet Tip-to-Tip. The 300 Ohm
Twin Lead would be 23 Feet long and the Antenna Rigged at
34 Feet.
.
A Four (4) Slinky G5RV Antenna (2 Slinkys per Arm of the Dipole)
would be about 91.6 Feet Tip-to-Tip. The 300 Ohm Twin Lead would
be 30 Feet long and the Antenna Rigged at 46 Feet.
.
Feed-in-Line - The 300 Ohm Twin Lead to Coax Cable Hook-Up can
be a direct Wire-to-Wire Connection.
.
TIP - Use a 1:1 or 4:1 Matching Transfromer (Balun) between
the Twin Lead and the Coax Cable Feed-in-Line with your G5RV
Antenna for Shortwave Listening use.
.
READ - Which SWL Antenna ?
The G5RV Antenna -=V=- The Low Noise Inverted "L" Antenna
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/780
.
Any Comments and Corrections ?
[ No Rock Throwing - Please ! ].
.
.
iane ~ RHF
.
All are WELCOME and "Invited to Join" the
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna Group on YAHOO !
SWL ANTENNAS GROUP => http://tinyurl.com/an6tw
.
Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
.
I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night . . .
You Can Hear Forever and Beyond, The BEYOND !
With a Shortwave Listener SWL Antenna of your own making.
"If You Build It {SWL Antenna} You Will Hear Them !"
.
.
. .

David

Sep 24, 2005, 1:57:31 PM9/24/05
On 24 Sep 2005 09:45:34 -0700, "RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net>
wrote:

What is this obsession with Slinkys?

Seems open-line would work as well elecrically and much better
mechanically. A section of a slinky could be used for an air-core
inductor I suppose.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/822

RHF

Sep 24, 2005, 4:21:29 PM9/24/05
David - Oh Slinkys . . .
Their Just Something To Toy Around With :o) ~ RHF
{ I have been waiting to use that line for a while. :o}
.
.
. .

RHF

Sep 24, 2005, 4:54:40 PM9/24/05
Thank You David for the Idea :o)
.
Quick All-in-One Vertical Antenna and Air Core Matching Transformer
and It's a Slinky !
.
* Stretch-Out a single Slinky InDoors from Floor to Ceiling.
.
* Stretch-Out a single Slinky OutSide from Ground Rod
to the Eaves, or to the Peak of the Roof, or to a Tree Limb.
.
Next attach the Shield of a Coax Cable at the Bottom of the Slinky.
.
Then Count-Up 25 Turns on the Slinky from the Bottom and Attach
the Center-Wire of the Coax Cable.
.
You now have a 75 to 25 Turn or 9:1 Matching Transformer and
Vertical Antenna All-in-One !
.
Connect the Coax Cable to your Radio and Enjoy Listening.

.
Any Comments and Corrections ?
[ No Rock Throwing - Please ! ]
.
.
iane ~ RHF
.
All are WELCOME and "Invited to Join" the
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna eGroup on YAHOO !

David

Sep 24, 2005, 6:10:22 PM9/24/05
On 24 Sep 2005 13:21:29 -0700, "RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net>
wrote:

Now that's a hoot.

http://othello.mech.northwestern.edu/ea3/book/string/text_string.html

Greg

Sep 25, 2005, 1:28:43 PM9/25/05

> From: "RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net>
> Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
> Date: 24 Sep 2005 13:21:29 -0700
> Subject: Re: What About the G5RV 'type' Dipole Antenna made of Slinkys ?

I that the first thought that springs to mind?

Greg

Greg

Sep 25, 2005, 1:33:44 PM9/25/05

> From: "RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net>
> Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave

> Date: 24 Sep 2005 13:54:40 -0700
> Subject: Quick All-in-One Vertical Antenna and Air Core Matching Transformer

Pretty slick. I'm assuming that's a 100-turn slinky. Is that pretty
standard for metal wire slinkys?

Greg

Greg

Sep 25, 2005, 2:55:49 PM9/25/05

> From: Greg <gfi...@tampabay.rr.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
> Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 17:28:43 GMT

> Subject: Re: What About the G5RV 'type' Dipole Antenna made of Slinkys ?
>

>> From: "RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net>
>> Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
>> Date: 24 Sep 2005 13:21:29 -0700
>> Subject: Re: What About the G5RV 'type' Dipole Antenna made of Slinkys ?
>>
>> David - Oh Slinkys . . .
>> Their Just Something To Toy Around With :o) ~ RHF
>> { I have been waiting to use that line for a while. :o}
>> .
> I that the first thought that springs to mind?
>
> Greg

I meant : Is that the first thought that springs to mind?

Greg

RHF

Sep 25, 2005, 7:21:43 PM9/25/05
Greg - Springs... Springs You Say !
.
Why Springs spring into my Mind !
and Springs spring out of my Mind !
.
Why some people have said :
That I Am "Sprung" Clean Out-of-my-Mind !
{ You may agree - Big Smile and Head Nodding }
.
you might say - i am sprung on springs ~ RHF
[ I Am A High Sprung Person - In or Out of Person ]
.
.
. .

cuh...@webtv.net

Sep 25, 2005, 8:01:52 PM9/25/05
I reckon tomorrow,I will check out the Toys R Us store near me for
Slinkys.
cuhulin

cuh...@webtv.net

Sep 25, 2005, 8:05:51 PM9/25/05
Are there any picture/photo instructions of how to construct Slinky
Antennas? sort of like Slinky Antennas for Dummies.
cuhulin

cuh...@webtv.net

Sep 25, 2005, 8:10:30 PM9/25/05
I lost the little spring on my telescoping tree limb lopper a few months
ago,but I found it a couple of weeks later lying in the grass by the
side of my house.Good thing my lawnmower blade didn't spring upon that
little spring.
cuhulin

Greg

Sep 25, 2005, 10:06:02 PM9/25/05

> From: "RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net>
> Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave

> Date: 25 Sep 2005 16:21:43 -0700

> Subject: Re: What About the G5RV 'type' Dipole Antenna made of Slinkys ?

I guess you sprung that one on me by surprise. I'm gonna slink outa here.

Greg

RHF

Sep 26, 2005, 3:43:35 AM9/26/05
Greg - I Have Never One to Be Shy or to Hold Back
I have been called a Walking-and-Talking
. . . Yo-Yo my whole life ~ RHF
.
.
. .

Greg

Sep 26, 2005, 10:24:37 AM9/26/05
> From: "RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net>
> Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
> Date: 26 Sep 2005 00:43:35 -0700

> Subject: Re: What About the G5RV 'type' Dipole Antenna made of Slinkys ?

Well, your antenna postings are driving me nuts. I don't know which to
build first - the vertical slinky, a sloper, an inverted L! Keep 'em
coming.

Greg

RHF

Sep 26, 2005, 1:34:08 PM9/26/05
Greg - There You Go Again - The "Slinky" Sloper Antenna !
.
Will the Angle of the Dangle . . .
cause a Commotion in the Trans-Ocean DX ?

.
Basics - The standard Full Size Slinky has about 100 Turns
with a Diameter of 2 3/4 Inches and a Circumference of
8.64 Inches for a Total Wire Length of 72 Feet.
.
How Long Does It Get ? - I Calculate that the Optimum*
"Stretched-Out" Length of a Slinky would be about 22.9 Feet.
.
* Note - Based on the "Spacing" of the Coil being 'equal'
to the Diameter of the Coil.
.
THE "SLINKY" SLOPER ANTENNA :
A simple single (1) "Slinky" Sloper set at a 45* Angle
would have about a 16 Foot Ground Foot-Print with a
Height of about 17 Feet (16+1) with a Ground Level
Feed-Point starting at a Ground Rod with the Top about
One Foot (1') above ground level.
.
? ? ? What About Super Sizing It ! ! !
The Super Size "Slinky" Sloper Antenna would be made of
Three (3) Slinkys set at a 45* Angle would have about a
48 Foot Ground Foot-Print with a Height of about 50 Feet
(48+1) with a Ground Level Feed-Point starting at a Ground
Rod with the Top about One Foot (1') above ground level.
.
TIPS :
- Use a 9:1 Matching Transformer (UnUn) between the
Coax Cable Feed-in-Line with your Sloper Antenna for
better Shortwave Listening use.
- Feed the Slinky Sloper from the Far-End with a remotely
located Ground Rod and the Coax Cable directly underneath
the Slinky on the ground or buried under the ground.
.
FWIW - One advantage of the Sloper Antenna Design is that
it only requires One "Elevated" Mounting Point to Rig the
Antenna Element along with a ground level mounting point.

Greg

Sep 26, 2005, 5:14:32 PM9/26/05

> From: "RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net>
> Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave

> Date: 26 Sep 2005 10:34:08 -0700
> Subject: The "Slinky" Sloper Antenna ! - Will the Angle of the Dangle . . .

As always, thanks for the excellent info.

Geg