K K V V 1060 kHz [43 Watts] "The Power Hour" 01:45 AM PDT

RHF

Jul 7, 2010, 6:30:16 AM7/7/10
K K V V 1060 kHz The Power Hour
01:45 AM PDT Wed 07 July 2010

Heard The Power Hour with Joyce Riley
and Bob Chapman at 1:45 AM PDT from
Las Vegas, NV here in Twain Harte, CA
Joyce's voice sounded weak with atmospherics;
but Bob's voice came in loud and clear with
hardly any noise.

KKVV 1060 kHz in Las Vegas, NV
http://www.radio-locator.com/info/KKVV-AM
* Antenna Mode : Non-Directional - 1 Pattern
* Number of Towers : 1
* Nighttime Power : 43 Watts
[K K V V] - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KKVV
-note- That's 43 Watts and Air 310 Miles LV-to-TH

"The Power Hour" Radio Program
http://www.thepowerhour.com/
-host- Joyce Riley
http://www.thepowerhour.com/welcome.htm

Bob Chapman & The International Forecaster
http://www.theinternationalforecaster.com/
.
List of AM/FM Radio Stations that Broadcast
The Power Hour with Joyce Riley:
http://www.thepowerhour.com/faqs.htm
.
WWCR Shortwave Broadcasts "The Power Hour"
http://www.wwcr.com/
http://www.wwcr.com/program-guides/WWCR_Program_Guide.pdf
M~F at 12:00~15:00 UTC on 7490 kHz & 13,845 kHz
M~F at 07:00~10:00 UTC on 4840 kHz
SUN at 20:00~23:00 UTC on 9980 kHz
.
"The Power Hour" -via- the Internet on GCN
Genesis Communications Network
GCN-Live : http://www.gcnlive.com/
* GCN Listen Live
http://www.gcnlive.com/directory.php
.
yes i heard it on the radio ~ RHF
Twain Harte, CA -usa-
.
Shortwave Listener QSL Reports
http://groups.google.com/group/shortwave-listener-qsl-reports
.

VegasNightOwl

Jul 7, 2010, 7:13:46 AM7/7/10
Type, or paste, the transmitter location co-ordinates, 36.15611°N
115.25667°W and it's funny to see an AM tower taking up an entire city
block.

Good catch RHF.

VegasNightOwl

"RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

dave

Jul 7, 2010, 8:46:14 AM7/7/10
>> Bob Chapman& The International Forecaster

>> http://www.theinternationalforecaster.com/
>> .
>> List of AM/FM Radio Stations that Broadcast
>> The Power Hour with Joyce Riley:
>> http://www.thepowerhour.com/faqs.htm
>> .
>> WWCR Shortwave Broadcasts "The Power Hour"
>> http://www.wwcr.com/
>> http://www.wwcr.com/program-guides/WWCR_Program_Guide.pdf
>> M~F at 12:00~15:00 UTC on 7490 kHz& 13,845 kHz

>> M~F at 07:00~10:00 UTC on 4840 kHz
>> SUN at 20:00~23:00 UTC on 9980 kHz
>> .
>> "The Power Hour" -via- the Internet on GCN
>> Genesis Communications Network
>> GCN-Live : http://www.gcnlive.com/
>> * GCN Listen Live
>> http://www.gcnlive.com/directory.php
>> .
>> yes i heard it on the radio ~ RHF
>> Twain Harte, CA -usa-
>> .
>> Shortwave Listener QSL Reports
>> http://groups.google.com/group/shortwave-listener-qsl-reports
>> .

Every heard of GROUND Radials?

http://fccinfo.com/MapIt5.php?lat_deg=36&lat_min=9&lat_sec=22&lat_dir=N&lon_deg=115&lon_min=15&lon_sec=24&lon_dir=W&datum=27&calls=KKVV(AM)&bubble=KKVV(AM)<br+%2F>Las+Vegas%2C+NV&city=Las%2BVegas&Button=Map+It

RHF

Jul 7, 2010, 8:49:56 AM7/7/10
On Jul 7, 5:46 am, dave <d...@dave.dave> wrote:
> VegasNightOwl wrote:
> > Type, or paste, the transmitter location co-ordinates, 36.15611°N
> > 115.25667°W and it's funny to see an AM tower taking up an entire city
> > block.
>
> > Good catch RHF.
>
> > VegasNightOwl
>
> > "RHF"<rhf-newsgro...@pacbell.net>  wrote in message

> >> K K V V 1060 kHz The Power Hour
> >> 01:45 AM PDT Wed 07 July 2010
>
> >> Heard The Power Hour with Joyce Riley
> >> and Bob Chapman at 1:45 AM PDT from
> >> Las Vegas, NV here in Twain Harte, CA
> >> Joyce's voice sounded weak with atmospherics;
> >> but Bob's voice came in loud and clear with
> >> hardly any noise.
>
> >> KKVV 1060 kHz in Las Vegas, NV
> >>http://www.radio-locator.com/info/KKVV-AM
> >> * Antenna Mode : Non-Directional - 1 Pattern
> >> * Number of Towers : 1
> >> * Nighttime Power : 43 Watts
> >> [K K V V] -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KKVV
> http://fccinfo.com/MapIt5.php?lat_deg=36&lat_min=9&lat_sec=22&lat_dir...)<br+%2F>Las+Vegas%2C+NV&city=Las%2BVegas&Button=Map+It

What at one time must have been a vacant {Desert}
lot {patch of ground} surrounded by nothing -is- now
surround by the suburban sprawl of Las Vegas, NV
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=36.15611,+-115.25667+%28KKVV-AM%29&om=1

-note- The close-up Satellite Image sure does
appear to show a lot of ground scaring radiating
out from the Antenna {Ground Radials} .
.

dave

Jul 7, 2010, 10:26:06 AM7/7/10
RHF wrote:
>Las+Vegas%2C+NV&city=Las%2BVegas&Button=Map+It
>
> What at one time must have been a vacant {Desert}
> lot {patch of ground} surrounded by nothing -is- now
> surround by the suburban sprawl of Las Vegas, NV
> http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=36.15611,+-115.25667+%28KKVV-AM%29&om=1
>
> -note- The close-up Satellite Image sure does
> appear to show a lot of ground scaring radiating
> out from the Antenna {Ground Radials} .
> .
On the old topo maps there are no neighborhoods adjacent.

http://fccinfo.com/MapIt5.php?lat_deg=36&lat_min=9&lat_sec=22&lat_dir=N&lon_deg=115&lon_min=15&lon_sec=24&lon_dir=W&datum=27&calls=KKVV(AM)&bubble=KKVV(AM)<br+%2F>Las+Vegas%2C+NV&city=Las%2BVegas&Button=Map+It

dave

Jul 7, 2010, 10:30:50 AM7/7/10
VegasNightOwl wrote:
> Type, or paste, the transmitter location co-ordinates, 36.15611°N
> 115.25667°W and it's funny to see an AM tower taking up an entire city
> block.

Here's the 'hood 16 years ago. The more recent scarring indicates they
need better performance from the ground and have buried some "screen".

http://msrmaps.com/map.aspx?t=1&s=10&lon=-115.260830772762&lat=36.1560825546265&w=600&h=400&opt=0&f=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial&fs=8&fc=ffffff99

DEFCON 88

Jul 7, 2010, 2:35:54 PM7/7/10
On Jul 7, 10:30 am, dave <d...@dave.dave> wrote:
> VegasNightOwl wrote:
> > Type, or paste, the transmitter location co-ordinates, 36.15611°N
> > 115.25667°W and it's funny to see an AM tower taking up an entire city
> > block.
>
> Here's the 'hood 16 years ago.  The more recent scarring indicates they
> need better performance from the ground and have buried some "screen".
>
> http://msrmaps.com/map.aspx?t=1&s=10&lon=-115.260830772762&lat=36.156...

Years ago I saw a USA soil conductivity map from the FCC. IIRC the
southwest basin and range desert areas had poor conductivity, implying
shorter ground wave coverage areas, among other things.

VegasNightOwl

Jul 7, 2010, 8:21:41 PM7/7/10

"dave" <da...@dave.dave> wrote in message

Yes I have. I used to work on towers and their systems. Do you want to
know how multiple towers are phased?

It's just funny to see it directly from overhead and in the middle of a
residential area. What happened was the system was in place out in the
middle of nowhere for years, but as growth occured it built up around the
transmitter site.

VegasNightOwl

VegasNightOwl

Jul 7, 2010, 8:23:24 PM7/7/10

"RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

You can clearly see the trenches for the radials. Under requirement per FCC
regulations 120 radials must be buried for each vertical radiator.

VegasNightOwl

Brenda Ann

Jul 8, 2010, 2:09:54 AM7/8/10

"VegasNightOwl" <joshuatre...@cox.net> wrote in message

> It's just funny to see it directly from overhead and in the middle of a
> residential area. What happened was the system was in place out in the
> middle of nowhere for years, but as growth occured it built up around the
> transmitter site.

And, like KGA in Spokane, the idiots that moved into those new projects
started bitching about the radio tower in "their" neighborhood....

VegasNightOwl

Jul 8, 2010, 2:38:39 AM7/8/10

"Brenda Ann" <newsg...@fullspectrumradio.org> wrote in message

As far as I known nobody has complained about a tower in their neighborhood
in this town. I'm certain that when they came in or checked the
neighborhood they saw it sticking up, all 200 feet of it, and maybe said
something to the realtor and they said it's been there before you and it
will be there no matter what you say. The smart ones latched on to it and
knew what was said. It never affected the dumber ones since they weren't
concerned about it in the first place.

VegasNightOwl

VegasNightOwl

Jul 8, 2010, 2:49:45 AM7/8/10

"dave" <da...@dave.dave> wrote in message

I also recall seeing a 3 or 4 tower array along Silverado Ranch Road between
Gillespie and Bermuda. The area has been built up but you can clearly see
where the building was and the foundations for the 4 towers along with some
ground trenching for the radials. I don't have the the lat-long but look on
google maps for Silverado Ranch Road east of LV BLVD. The last tower came
down in 2003. I've been trying to find out what station it was but not
having any luck.

VegasNightOwl

RHF

Jul 8, 2010, 5:41:15 AM7/8/10
On Jul 7, 11:09 pm, "Brenda Ann" <newsgro...@fullspectrumradio.org>
wrote:
> "VegasNightOwl" <joshuatreescorp...@cox.net> wrote in message

> > It's just funny to see it directly from overhead and in the middle of a
> > residential area.  What happened was the system was in place out in the
> > middle of nowhere for years, but as growth occured it built up around the
> > transmitter site.

- And, like KGA in Spokane, the idiots
- that moved into those new projects
- started bitching about the radio tower
- in "their" neighborhood....

That Radio Tower is such an Eye Sore
and at night the Fluorescent Light in the
Bathroom never quite goes off again;
once you turn it on.

That Radio Tower is SO CLOSE to my
backyard; that I get headaches when
Rush Limbaugh is talking on the Radio

That Radio Tower is SO CLOSE to my
House; sometimes at night I can hear
Coast-to-Coast AM with George Noory
on my Toaster in the Kitchen ;;-) ~ RHF
.

.

RHF

Jul 8, 2010, 5:48:58 AM7/8/10
On Jul 7, 7:30 am, dave <d...@dave.dave> wrote:
> VegasNightOwl wrote:
> > Type, or paste, the transmitter location co-ordinates, 36.15611°N
> > 115.25667°W and it's funny to see an AM tower taking up an entire city
> > block.

- Here's the 'hood 16 years ago.  The more recent scarring indicates
they
- need better performance from the ground and have buried some
"screen".
-
- http://msrmaps.com/map.aspx?t=1&s=10&lon=-115.260830772762&lat=36.156...

With a Nighttime Power of just 43 Watts :
They need all the help from the ground that
they can get. ~ RHF
.

VegasNightOwl

Jul 8, 2010, 6:07:15 AM7/8/10

"RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

A good radial system reduces the ground losses and make the system more
efficient and with the desert being one of the worse places for good ground
conductivity, every little bit helps.

VegasNightOwl

dave

Jul 8, 2010, 9:48:43 AM7/8/10

dave

Jul 8, 2010, 9:53:21 AM7/8/10
720 has a 4 tower array in Henderson, but I think they've always been
there. I got a contact at Cox in LV, he'd know. I'll try to remember
his name...

dave

Jul 8, 2010, 9:54:22 AM7/8/10

43 Watts is plenty if the frequency's clear.

m II

Jul 8, 2010, 10:19:12 AM7/8/10
RHF wrote:

> That Radio Tower is SO CLOSE to my
> backyard; that I get headaches when
> Rush Limbaugh is talking on the Radio

I hadn't realized you needed proximity for that to happen.

mike

Krypsis

Jul 8, 2010, 10:49:32 AM7/8/10

You don't! He even gives us headaches here in Aus!

Do us a favour and keep him off the media!

Krypsis

VegasNightOwl

Jul 8, 2010, 4:35:41 PM7/8/10

"dave" <da...@dave.dave> wrote in message

It's actually a 3 tower array. Plug these co-ordinates into Google Maps and
it is smack right on.

36° 04' 22" N, 114° 58' 20" W

VegasNightOwl

VegasNightOwl

Jul 8, 2010, 4:40:02 PM7/8/10

"dave" <da...@dave.dave> wrote in message

There was a station back in Pennsylvania, WESA, that used to be daytime
only. Then they were granted permission for night time transmissions.
Their night time power was 10 watts down from their 250 daytime power. Not
sure how it ever faired but it was interesting to even think if anybody
copied them outside of 200 miles or so.

VegasNightOwl

Brenda Ann

Jul 8, 2010, 5:00:32 PM7/8/10

"VegasNightOwl" <joshuatre...@cox.net> wrote in message

When the new (at the time) station in Milwaukie (suburb of Portland, OR)
came on the air on 1010 KHz a couple decades or so ago, it had a daytime
power of 10KW, and a nighttime power of 10W. I couldn't figure out why they
bothered. They may have been heard within a few blocks of the tower site
(omni stick), but further than that they would have been destroyed by
splatter from KOMO 1000 in Seattle, which puts in a 'local' level signal at
night.

VegasNightOwl

Jul 8, 2010, 6:22:31 PM7/8/10

"Brenda Ann" <newsg...@fullspectrumradio.org> wrote in message

I'd have to wonder why bother either at 10 watts. Then again, you have alot
of people who are up all night and you never know who will be tuning in.
However, 10 watts on even a somewhat open frequency and depending on the
surround terrain, hills, flat, etc., coverage could be further than you
anticipate, even with a regional powerhouse like KOMO on a nearby frequency.

VegasNightOwl

dave

Jul 8, 2010, 8:34:43 PM7/8/10
Whatever. KDWN comes in like a local here in SoCal.

dave

Jul 8, 2010, 8:36:53 PM7/8/10

There's a TIS station on 810 at UCLA. They destroy KGO at night all
over West Los Angeles.

VegasNightOwl

Jul 8, 2010, 7:57:45 PM7/8/10

"dave" <da...@dave.dave> wrote in message

During the winter months I can copy KFI-640 at 10am or even at 11am without
much of a problem. After that, I loose it for a bit then very late in the
afternoon it comes in again.

VegasNightOwl

RHF

Jul 8, 2010, 10:52:12 PM7/8/10
On Jul 7, 11:49 pm, "VegasNightOwl" <joshuatreescorp...@cox.net>
wrote:
> "dave" <d...@dave.dave> wrote in message

> > VegasNightOwl wrote:
> >> Type, or paste, the transmitter location co-ordinates, 36.15611°N
> >> 115.25667°W and it's funny to see an AM tower taking up an entire city
> >> block.
>
> > Here's the 'hood 16 years ago.  The more recent scarring indicates they
> > need better performance from the ground and have buried some "screen".
>
> >http://msrmaps.com/map.aspx?t=1&s=10&lon=-115.260830772762&lat=36.156...

- I also recall seeing a 3 or 4 tower array along Silverado Ranch Road
between
- Gillespie and Bermuda.  The area has been built up but you can
clearly see
- where the building was and the foundations for the 4 towers along
with some
- ground trenching for the radials.  I don't have the the lat-long but
look on
- google maps for Silverado Ranch Road east of LV BLVD.  The last
tower came
- down in 2003.  I've been trying to find out what station it was but
not
- having any luck.
-
- VegasNightOwl

VNQ,

1 - Yeah something must have moved
in the middle of the night . . .
-but- WHO ?

2 - With 4 Antenna Towers in a row; it was
not likely to be an FM Radio or TV Station
Transmitter Site.

3 - The local Las Vegas City or Clark County
Building & Planning Commission Offices should
have Records that go back to when it was
originally build; and when it was torn-down.
.
Las Vegas Radio Stations -circa- 1963
http://gapfel.com/vegasradio/?page_id=229
.
RadioLocator.Com - List of AM Radio Stations
in Las Vegas, NV
http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/locate?select=city&city=Las+Vegas&state=NV&band=AM&is_lic=Y&is_cp=Y&format=&dx=0&radius=&freq=&sort=freq&sid=
.
The Sticks of Las Vegas
http://www.fybush.com/site-020403.html
.
Las Vegas Radio Towers on Black Mountain
http://www.fybush.com/sites/2006/site-061117.html
.
Radio Towers on Mount Potosi, Las Vegas
http://www.fybush.com/sites/2006/site-061110.html
.
KDWN 720 and KLSQ 870 in Las Vegas
http://www.fybush.com/sites/2006/site-061124.html
.
KWWN 1100, Las Vegas
http://www.fybush.com/sites/2009/site-090417.html
.
Radio Towers on Mount Arden, Las Vegas
http://www.fybush.com/sites/2009/site-090424.html
.
a towering question - wondering what they were . . . ~ RHF
.

dave

Jul 9, 2010, 12:06:16 AM7/9/10
VegasNightOwl wrote:

> During the winter months I can copy KFI-640 at 10am or even at 11am without
> much of a problem. After that, I loose it for a bit then very late in the
> afternoon it comes in again.
>

> VegasNightOwl

You can get KTLK 1150 AM at night better than it comes in here.

dave

Jul 9, 2010, 12:13:28 AM7/9/10
RHF wrote:

> .
> Las Vegas Radio Towers on Black Mountain
> http://www.fybush.com/sites/2006/site-061117.html
> .

I used to work in the building on the extreme left. That's where
K-Weiner is. They are #1.

My station's antenna is on the northernmost tower photo. It is the 12
bay UHF antenna on the lower left. One of the microwave dishes was mine
as well.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

RHF

Jul 9, 2010, 7:19:54 AM7/9/10
On Jul 7, 3:30 am, RHF <rhf-newsgro...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> K K V V 1060 kHz The Power Hour
> 01:45 AM PDT Wed 07 July 2010
>
> Heard The Power Hour with Joyce Riley
> and Bob Chapman at 1:45 AM PDT from
> Las Vegas, NV here in Twain Harte, CA
> Joyce's voice sounded weak with atmospherics;
> but Bob's voice came in loud and clear with
> hardly any noise.
>
> KKVV 1060 kHz in Las Vegas, NVhttp://www.radio-locator.com/info/KKVV-AM

> * Antenna Mode : Non-Directional - 1 Pattern
> * Number of Towers : 1
> * Nighttime Power : 43 Watts
> [K K V V] -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KKVV
> -note- That's 43 Watts and Air 310 Miles LV-to-TH
>
> "The Power Hour" Radio Programhttp://www.thepowerhour.com/
> -host- Joyce Rileyhttp://www.thepowerhour.com/welcome.htm
>
> Bob Chapman & The International Forecasterhttp://www.theinternationalforecaster.com/

>  .
> List of AM/FM Radio Stations that Broadcast
> The Power Hour with Joyce Riley:http://www.thepowerhour.com/faqs.htm
>  .
> WWCR Shortwave Broadcasts "The Power Hour"http://www.wwcr.com/http://www.wwcr.com/program-guides/WWCR_Program_Guide.pdf
> M~F at 12:00~15:00 UTC on 7490 kHz & 13,845 kHz

> M~F at 07:00~10:00 UTC on 4840 kHz
> SUN at 20:00~23:00 UTC on 9980 kHz
>  .
> "The Power Hour" -via- the Internet on GCN
> Genesis Communications Network
> GCN-Live :http://www.gcnlive.com/
> * GCN Listen Livehttp://www.gcnlive.com/directory.php

>  .
> yes i heard it on the radio ~ RHF
> Twain Harte, CA -usa-
>  .
> Shortwave Listener QSL Reports
> http://groups.google.com/group/shortwave-listener-qsl-reports
>  .

Once again tonight on 1060 kHz KKVV-AM
at 1:30 AM PDT there was The Power Hour
with Joyce Riley. ~ RHF

-wrt- K K V V 1060 kHz [43 Watts] "The Power Hour"
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/3c538f6cc165b2af
.

VegasNightOwl

Jul 9, 2010, 3:32:37 PM7/9/10

"RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

Gives a whole new meaning to "The Power Hour". All 43 watts of it. :)

VegasNightOwl