Kaito DE-1106 : Any Information on Radio ?

Jay

Jul 14, 2005, 9:56:42 AM7/14/05
I am considering a DE-1102 & found this pic on web.
Is the DE-1106 an ungrade to DE-1102 ?
Anyone know anything about the DE-1106 radio?

http://www.radioscanner.ru/uploader/2005/de1106.jpg

Thanks

John S.

Jul 14, 2005, 10:09:05 AM7/14/05

Degen has sold the design and copyright to another company according to
an article on the website below. So the 1106 design may be sold by
someone but not under the Degen logo and poissibly not labeled as a
1106 model. The article on the wesite below is silent about whether
Degen will produce the 1106 design for the unnamed company. My guess
is that the unnamed company is Eton since they are the remaining
marketer of portables of any size.

http://www.radiointel.com/

Jay

Jul 14, 2005, 6:24:25 PM7/14/05
On 14 Jul 2005 07:09:05 -0700, "John S." <hjs...@cs.com> wrote:
>Degen has sold the design and copyright to another company according to
>an article on the website below. So the 1106 design may be sold by
>someone but not under the Degen logo and poissibly not labeled as a
>1106 model. The article on the wesite below is silent about whether
>Degen will produce the 1106 design for the unnamed company. My guess
>is that the unnamed company is Eton since they are the remaining
>marketer of portables of any size.

Thanks, John S

Based on your info I will not look further.
I am interested in the KA-1102 due to fact it has double conversion
and can receive SSB. Do you have any knowledge of this radio really
being able to hear intelligent SSB voice ? Or is it like using the BFO
on my old SX-16 to get SSB and retune every few seconds to keep it
clear ?
I am looking for a very small SW set with SSB capability and better
sensitivity and selectivity- nothing big like my Sony 2010.

Thanks

fcat...@msn.com

Jul 14, 2005, 7:15:54 PM7/14/05
I use the 1102 for SSB and it works quite well with little or no drift.
It uses a true variable BFO that is adjustable to USB or LSB with the
side thumbwheel. IT does have a quirk in that you have to be in Page 9
to use the BFO but I don't find that a problem. Although main tuning
increments are 1 kHz minimum it still performs well on SSB for a small
portable. At least the AGC action is satisfactory for SSB reception
which was not the case in my DX-398. SSB sounded horrible on this
radio due to the AGC pumping and overall piss-poor AGC and detector
design.

Frank

John S.

Jul 14, 2005, 7:28:40 PM7/14/05
Either the 1102 or the 1103 will handle ssb reasonably well. Once opn
frequency they don't drift at all. Because the receiver only tunes in
1khs increments you will have to figgle with the fine tuning knob a
fair amount. No biggy, it is just a bit slower tuning around than with
usb lsb buttons and finer main tuning resolution.

John S.

Jul 14, 2005, 7:30:13 PM7/14/05
One last thought...the fact that it has double conversion doesn't buy
you much imho. There are images aplenty, again no big deal as long as
you don't try to QSL one!