I need help making a choice (re-post)

1 view

mcqz

Aug 16, 2006, 8:17:35 PM8/16/06
I'm considering 2 different shortwave receivers and would appreciate the
benefit of your experience. I want to be able to copy SSB and CW as well as
general radio, so that limits the market.

The 2 I'm considering are the Eton/Grundig 4000A and the Sony 7600GR. They
appear to be pretty much equivalent in features. What would be your
preference? Or is there something else that's better in the same
portable/feature/price range?

Thanks,
Fran McHugh
Winslow, AZ

dxAce

Aug 16, 2006, 8:31:41 PM8/16/06

mcqz wrote:

www.universal-radio.com/

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Douche Bag

Aug 16, 2006, 8:34:40 PM8/16/06
Save your money shortwave is dead!

Harveya...@aol.com

Aug 16, 2006, 9:19:04 PM8/16/06

mcqz

Aug 16, 2006, 9:54:37 PM8/16/06
I saw the Eton E1 when I was perusing their site. It isn't quite as
portable as I'd like and we already have XM radio on our motorcycles. With
the story re: Satellite Radio's huge financial losses, it may not be a long
time phenom anyway...

I have a Radio Shack communications receiver in the repair shop in Tucson -
I haven't been able to talk to them recently which has me somewhat
concerned - but I'm really interested in something made for stowing away and
quick setup. We have a stowaway telescope to take with us when we go
camping and the two voyeuristic "activities" seem to complement each other
very well.

The Kaito's are inexpensive, but the Grundig and Sony seem to have the best
reputations followed closely by the Sangean line.

I know that SW broadcasting is way down and ham radio is diving in the face
of the internet as well, but I still enjoy the SW experience.

Thanks,
fran

<Harveya...@aol.com> wrote in message

Harveya...@aol.com

Aug 16, 2006, 10:06:47 PM8/16/06

Steve

Aug 16, 2006, 10:15:34 PM8/16/06

Get the Sony.

cuh...@webtv.net

Aug 16, 2006, 10:25:16 PM8/16/06
Buy a Sony 7600GR Radio and be happy.
cuhulin
Somebody ought to come up with a software program that looks like those
strumming strings at the start of The Third Man movie (which started on
tv about twenty five minutes ago.When I was in the Army at Fort
Hood,Texas,one evening I saw a pretty girl that worked behind a counter
in a down town Killeen cafe.I put some coins in that thingy and I
selected The Third Man theme song on the jukebox.She said,Who picked
that Song? I didn't say anything to that dummy) and a keyboard can be
used to play those strings,with audio,of course.

Telamon

Aug 16, 2006, 11:48:22 PM8/16/06
In article <12e7de2...@corp.supernews.com>,
"mcqz" <fm...@cableone.net> wrote:

Buy the Sony.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

RHF

Aug 17, 2006, 12:38:04 AM8/17/06
MCQZ,

Stuck on a Desert Island 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio ?
- - - My Choice Is . . . the Sony ICF-SW7600GR 'portable'
AM/FM Shortwave Radio.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/470edf2c2feb7923

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/f5acbe683366a500

* The Sony ICF-SW7600GR 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio
for the Price is a Better Radio.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/ea86e2c6735c3459

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/02f28501c5e834e7

* the Sony ICF-SW7600GR 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio
has more Good Features then any other Radio in it's Price Range.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/e4d078c37631cae7

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/24c4c12c1284c635

Plus - Consider the Sony AN-LP1 Active Shortwave Loop Antenna
to use with the Sony ICF-SW7600GR for a great Travel Radio Combo.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/fb71f5107eef0b02
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/2bac24735bdffee3

sony no boloney ~ RHF
.
.
. .

Geary Morton

Aug 17, 2006, 1:02:04 AM8/17/06
Hmmmmmmm, I think if I were stuck on a desert Island (is there such a
thing - island, desert?) I would want one of those Chinese solar/crank
generator things. Of course if there was a D-cell battery tree growing
somewhere, I would prefer a Drake SW8.

In article <1155789484.6...@74g2000cwt.googlegroups.com>,

Brenda Ann

Aug 17, 2006, 1:21:20 AM8/17/06

"Geary Morton" <gin...@ipass.net> wrote in message

> Hmmmmmmm, I think if I were stuck on a desert Island (is there such a
> thing - island, desert?) I would want one of those Chinese solar/crank
> generator things. Of course if there was a D-cell battery tree growing
> somewhere, I would prefer a Drake SW8.

Freeplay "Lifeline" Not a screamer, but it does work OK. AM/FM/SW 3-18 MHz
in two bands. Rechargable batteries, crank generator, solar panel charger.
Decent audio, but not Hi-Fi by any stretch. Right now, you can get one from
Universal for $50, and they send you yours, and send one to a kid in Africa
as well. Only place you can buy one for yourself at all.

latitude61

Aug 17, 2006, 1:51:39 AM8/17/06
I have had both radios, and prefer the Sony. I think the Sony is easier
to deal with on ssb and cw, and sync detection is a nice plus. I don't
do motorcycle portable, but I do popup camper portable, so my radio gets
used in rustic environments. The Sony seems a little sturdier with its
metal speaker grill. If I recall, the battery compartment cover is
detached on the Grundig, and thus easily lost. The Sony's is attached
to the case. One thing that bugs me on the Grundig is that it uses 6
batteries. The Sony takes 4. Easier to buy and charge in 4's than 6's.
I eventually gave my Grundig away. I now have 3 of the Sony's.

Han

Aug 17, 2006, 2:55:59 AM8/17/06

> The 2 I'm considering are the Eton/Grundig 4000A and the Sony 7600GR. > Thanks,
> Fran McHugh
> Winslow, AZ

hello frank , I would go for the sony. Because of the sync detection.

Greetings

Han Hardonk, the Netherlands

http://home.hetnet.nl/~hanhardonk/ is my website where you can listen
to over 100 recordings I made during several years.
Have fun listening

weatherall

Aug 17, 2006, 3:28:23 AM8/17/06

mcqz Wrote:
> I'm considering 2 different shortwave receivers and would appreciate
> the
> benefit of your experience. I want to be able to copy SSB and CW as
> well as
> general radio, so that limits the market.
>
> The 2 I'm considering are the Eton/Grundig 4000A and the Sony 7600GR.

Fran:
I own an SW7600GR and I really like it. I have handled a G4000A in a
store and I didn't like the feel of the keypad.

Here is a classic side-by-side radio review from radiointel.com, which
covers the YB400PE (earlier version of the G4000A), ATS-909, and
SW7600G (earlier version of the SW7600GR):

http://www.radiointel.com/portwars.htm

Some of the points mentioned in the review:
* SSB reception on the YB400PE is distorted
* SW7600G/SW7600GR features synchronous detection, which is a feature
that reduces signal fading
* SW7600G takes 4 AA batteries; YB400PE takes 6 AA batteries
* YB400PE supposedly is better for FM reception

The Eton E5 is another radio in that price class, and is one of the
newest products available. It is based on the electronics in the
Degen/Kaito 1103 but with a much better user interface. I have one of
these as well, and I really like it (for its size, audio quality, user
interface, shortwave sensitivity), but it seems to use up my
rechargeable batteries a lot quicker than the SW7600GR.

--
weatherall

SeeingEyeDog

Aug 17, 2006, 12:29:01 PM8/17/06
Buy the Sony 7600GR (best in class by far).

"mcqz" <fm...@cableone.net> wrote in message

SeeingEyeDog

Aug 17, 2006, 12:30:55 PM8/17/06

"weatherall" <weathera...@news.radiobanter.com> wrote

> Here is a classic side-by-side radio review from radiointel.com

radiointel is full of sheisse

Steve

Aug 17, 2006, 3:54:35 PM8/17/06

I find radiointel.com to be hit or miss. I've read some great reviews
there with extremely helpful information. At other times, I'd be
willing to swear that money had changed hands. I think it's worth
reading but, as always, a degree of caution is in order.

mcqz

Aug 17, 2006, 5:37:09 PM8/17/06
I took the info and suggestions and looked around a little more and a little
more deeply and I've ordered the Sony.
Thanks.

cuh...@webtv.net

Aug 17, 2006, 8:34:29 PM8/17/06
You might be interested in ordering that Sony ANPL whatever it is
antenna too.Joe might be along sooner or later to explain about that,or
somebody else might.

y'all know what a Sooner Dog is?
cuhulin

mcqz

Aug 17, 2006, 11:43:14 PM8/17/06
I have no idea what an ANPL antenna is.
I seem to recall that Sooners are from Oklahoma, but I'd bet that there is
no connection to the Sooner Dog, so I'll bite - No, what is a Sooner Dog?
fran

<cuh...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Telamon

Aug 18, 2006, 1:14:53 AM8/18/06
In article <1155844475....@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
"Steve" <sdan...@speakeasy.net> wrote:

It depends on the person that wrote the review and what possible ax they
may have to grind.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

cuh...@webtv.net

Aug 18, 2006, 1:15:53 AM8/18/06
A sooner dog just as soon eat .... as anything else.
cuhulin