Kaito KA33 Active Antenna - Any Feedback?

green...@kato.net

Mar 24, 2008, 11:38:23 PM3/24/08
Every now & again I feel an urge to throw some money into cheap
shortwave stuff. I've played with the old RatShack amplified antenna
- not too impressed, and a few months ago bought a Grundig Mini-World
(digital) and though it doesn't compare to my Sony 7600G or Icom R75
it's kinda nice to carry around on my evening walk or to take fishing.
So, I was thinking that for when I travel and just for farting around
the Kaito active loop might be kinda fun. Has anyone here used one of
these and if so, how does it compare to just clipping about 20 feet of
wire to a whip antenna? Not interested in being pointed to links of
reviews, I can use Google myself; more interested in feedback from
this group.

Thanks in advance,
Greenhornet

note: Greenhornet is a chip dip a friend makes; sour cream, capers,
wasabe and a few other spices.......puts hair on your chest and
removes wallpaper also

Greg

Mar 25, 2008, 4:39:54 PM3/25/08

<green...@kato.net> wrote in message

I have the Kaito KA35 which has interchangable antennas one for SW and one
for MW. I bought it for MW and sitting next to my CCrane+ it does and
acceptable job on MW but the plug in, where the antenna connects to the
amplifier is really cheaply made and fell apart the first time I removed the
MW ferrite bar. I never did try the whip on SW. I did some repairs myself
to fix up the plug and it now works ok. I would not recommend buying this
antenna due to it's poor build quality. I am not sure about the KA33.

Greg

Igor

Mar 27, 2008, 6:17:27 PM3/27/08
On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 20:38:23 -0700, green...@kato.net wrote:

<snip>

>note: Greenhornet is a chip dip a friend makes; sour cream, capers,
>wasabe and a few other spices.......puts hair on your chest and
>removes wallpaper also

Sounds tasty. I'll have to try to make some.
--
A search engine that doesn't spy on you - http://clusty.com/

Cato

Mar 27, 2008, 9:57:09 PM3/27/08

Hi: I have the TG34 antenna which is the same antenna... different
label. tquchina on ebay is the dealer for this antenna and the
factory that makes them just puts TG34 on it for him instead of
DE31MS, or KA33

He claims to have made a deal with the factory to do more quality
checks of the ones the he purchases from them. Tao Qu has an excellent
feedback rating on Ebay.

TG34 is the same as the DE31MS is the same as the Kaito KA33.

I bought one from him and liked it enough to buy a second.
Delivery is fast and packaging is excellent.

It is not as sensitive as the Sony active loop, but it is better then
twenty feet of wire. If you have the money, and can find the Sony
active loop, buy it instead. It cost quite a bit more then the Degen
loop, and is not as compact, but it performs better.

But for the price, and being so compact, the Degen active loop is a
bargain, and performs very well for such a compact small loop. But
don't expect it to perform as good as the Sony active loop.

I like the TG34, (DE31MS, Kaito KA33)

Cheap price if you order it from tquchina on Ebay, it is not
constructed like a tank, so take care of it. Get a little pouch to put
it in.

Best regards. Rob

Cato

Mar 27, 2008, 11:40:47 PM3/27/08

I should have mentioned.. his Ebay store is called RADIO AND
COMPONENT ,
He sells it for $22.90 plus $9.00 shipping from China. Prices in
U.S. dollars.

U.S. dealers sell the same loop antenna under the Degen or Kaito
label for anywheres from $34.95 up to as high as $49.95.

The Sony AN-LP1 active loop is no longer in production or in
stores apparently.... but there may be stores that still have some if
you are lucky.
I found only one, on Ebay, and it is at $41.00 with nine bids and
five and a half days left in the auction, so it will go higher for
sure. I would guess it will go for more then $100.00 for sure, by the
time the hammer drops.

green...@kato.net

Mar 27, 2008, 11:43:44 PM3/27/08
On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 20:40:47 -0700 (PDT), Cato <cato...@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

Thanks for the first-hand review/info. Didn't expect it to be quite
up to the Sony in performance but am a bit intrigued being it is
better than a short wire.

Cato

Mar 29, 2008, 12:13:39 AM3/29/08

You're welcome.... The active loop is of course directional and
must be turned to receive the best reception. Also placing it in a
window will increase reception., but then it is difficult to turn it.
If you already know this, then my apologies. I guess I am saying the
obvious. As a wire antenna gets longer... it will of course outperform
the loop.
Next camping trip... I will take both the loop nad a wire, and try
a comparison.... the loop should be good outside as long as I take it
in if it rains.....it's not weather proof.
I like to think of it as being very useful for certain
situations.....,. it has a place in my SWL supplies....along with
wires of different lengths, roll ups, fold ups.... etc.

Best regards, Rob

RHF

Apr 2, 2008, 3:54:25 PM4/2/08

GH,

I do not recommend the Kaito KA33 Active Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3670.html
The Tuning Wheel is too small = Hard to use.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3670sys.html
The Tuning is too Iffy = Difficult to tune.

READ - The Sony AN-LP1 Active Shortwave Loop Antenna
-vice- the Degen / Kaito AM and Shortwave Loop Antennas
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/e4fbd42e96abbbb8

1 - Consider the Sony AN-LP1 Portable Active Antenna which
could be called a Narrow-Banded {Un-Tuned} Loop Antenna.
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ140214066985
* The Control Box is equipped with a Frequency Band
{Narrow Range} Selection Knob : ~4 MHz, ~5 MHz,
~6 MHz, ~7 MHz, ~10 MHz, ~12 MHz, ~14 MHz,
~16 MHz, and ~20 MHz
* This Knob {Switch} allows the Selection of any of these
Bands which cover the major Shortwave Radio Broadcast
Bands.
* It generally Amplifies "All" the Frequencies within these
Narrow Bands and Attenuates the Frequencies that are
out of the specific Band.
Note - There is NO Fine-Tuning within the Bands.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3676pre.jpg
+ Key-To-Do - Place the Antenna Element in/on/near
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/ec47f78cd1792a58
an Outside facing Window for a better RF Signal and
less RFI/EMF Noise pick-up.

Finding-It - It can be found 'new' on eBay offered
by the eBay Japanese seller : "buyfromjapan"
http://myworld.ebay.com/buyfromjapan/
* Sony AN-LP1 Portable Active Antenna
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ360039106613

KAITO KA35 {eBay TG35} Wide-Band Active Antenna :
1 - Charge It ! {Re-Chargeable}
2 - Connect It ! {Easy Hook-Up}
3 - Use It {Simply Turn-It-On / No Tuning Required}
WHAT COULD BE EASIER !

Kaito KA35 Amplified Active LW + MW + Shortwave Antenna
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ260224892616
http://www.radios4you.com/antenna-kaito-ka35.html
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/7293
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/4835.html
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/ka35whip.jpg
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/ka35dia.jpg

Also sold as the TG35 Solar USB Recharge Indoor
SW MW LW Active Antenna -on- eBay
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ140156238905

QUESTION : WHAT IS THE "GREEN" ANTENNA ?
The KA35/ TG35 is a Indoor AM {Medium Wave};
Shortwave and Longwave Active Antenna.
The KA35/TG35 Broadband {No-Tuning} Active Antenna
has the Frequency Coverage from : 30 kHz to 30 MKHz
using two Plug-In Antenna Elements :

* Ferrite "Rod" Element for the AM {Medium Wave} Band
Frequency Coverage : 520 kHz to 1710 kHz plus Longwave
along with the Ferrite Rod 'Coupler' for Radio's requiring it.
TIP - Rotate and Position the Ferrite Rod for the best
AM/MW Reception of the individual AM/WM Radio Station
because this is a Directional Antenna.

* Short "Whip" Antenna Element for the Shortwave Band
Frequency Coverage : 3.0 MHz to 30.0 MHz
TIP - This is an Omni-Directional Antenna : So fully extend
the Whip and Place the Antenna Element in/on/near
an Outside facing Window for a better RF Signal and
less RFI/EMF Noise pick-up.

QUESTION : WHAT MAKES IT "GREEN" ?
The KA35/TG35 Active Antenna has a 500mAh Ni-MH
'rechargeable' Battery built into the Antenna, this can
be 'recharged' by the Solar Cell that is also built into
the Antenna.
- - - This makes the KA35/TG35 Active Antenna a "Green" Product.
Plus - The KA35/TG35 Active Antenna can be recharge the Ni-MH
'rechargeable' Battery via the USB Port Connection of a PC.

ANTENNA SIGNAL OUTPUT ?
The KA35/TG35 Active Antenna uses a 1/8" (3.5mm)
Stereo Plug as it's Out-Put-Connection.

KA35/TG35 Users Instructions :
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/4835om.pdf

READ - The "Green" Antenna {TG35} for AM/MW Radio
Reception plus the Shortwave Radio Bands Too !
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/8aa1f6eb63507d83

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF {pomkia}
.
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antennas Group => http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
.
RHF's Standard "Shortwave Radio Listener (SWL) Antennas Group"
Reference Message Signature-Line => http://tinyurl.com/25zbrg
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/411dac3b4a1798e0
.
-=25ZBRG=-
.

Cato

Apr 2, 2008, 6:07:44 PM4/2/08

I have absolutely no problem with the tuning wheel on my TG34,
(DE31MS) active loop. Heard that some people find it to sensitve and
touchy.,... I dont find it to be too touchy at all.

Each to their own I suppose.

The Sony is of course more sensitive,... also at least
three times more pricey, and not as compact for backpacking. The
DE31MS/ TG34 folds up into a much smaller package. A friend of mine
has the Sony antenna. It's not as compact. And he paid a hell of a lot
more money then I did.

I would prefer the Sony at home. And if I want to pay
$100.00 or more for it... I might get it.

But for the price, and level of performance for the TG34,
DE31MS... it's a bargain. I've been listening to shortwave sincde I
was about ten years old. Fifty six now..... I've used lots of
different antenna setups for various situations.

Happen to like the TG34/DE31MS..... I bought a second one after
purchasing my first one and trying it out.. And still spent a lot less
then I would for one Sony antenna.

RHF

Apr 2, 2008, 9:45:39 PM4/2/08
On Apr 2, 3:07 pm, Cato <caton...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
Subject-Line was : Kaito KA33 Active Antenna
- Any Feedback? Options
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/28d197e8448d183c

- I have absolutely no problem with the tuning wheel on my
- TG34, (DE31MS) active loop.  Heard that some people find
- it to sensitve and touchy... I dont find it to be too touchy at all.
-
- Each to their own I suppose.
-
-  The Sony is of course more sensitive,... also at least three
- times more pricey, and not as compact for backpacking.
- The DE31MS/ TG34 folds up into a much smaller package.
- A friend of mine has the Sony antenna. It's not as compact.
- And he paid a hell of a lot more money then I did.
-
- I would prefer the Sony at home. And if I want to pay $100.00
- or more for it... I might get it.
-
- But for the price, and level of performance for the TG34,
- DE31MS...  it's a bargain. I've been listening to shortwave
- since I was about ten years old. Fifty six now... I've used
- lots of different antenna setups for various situations.
-
- Happen to like the TG34/DE31MS..... I bought a second
- one after purchasing my first one and trying it out... And
- still spent a lot less then I would for one Sony antenna.
-
- - - - - - - - - - New Subject-Line Reads - - - - - - - - - -

The Added Task of Tuning the Active Antenna -versus-
Simply Tuning the Radio and Being Focused on Listening-to-the-Radio

Cato,

I guess what makes me 'choose' the Sony AN-LP1 Active
Shortwave Loop Antenna or even the KA35/TG35 Active
Antenna over the TG34/DE31 Active Loop Antennas is
really the Issue of "Tuning" the Active Antenna itself.

With the AN-LP1 'select' the Shortwave Radio Band on the
Active Antenna and you can tune anywhere throughtout
that Band on your Shortwave Radio / HF Receiver. Your
'focus' is On-the-Radio {Tuning-the-Radio} and thus your
Attention is to Listening-to-the Radio.

With the KA35/TG35 Shortwave {Broadband 3.0 MHz to
30.0 MHz} Active Antenna you simply Turn the Antenna
"On"; and you can Tune anywhere throughtout entire range
of Shortwave Radio Bands on your Shortwave Radio /
HF Receiver. Again your 'focus' is On-the-Radio
{Tuning-the-Radio} and thus your Attention is to
Listening-to-the Radio.

SOAP-BOX-TIME {RANT} :
This is also 'why' I like using a 9:1 Matching Transformer with
a Random Wire {Long-Wire} Antenna. {Broadband 500 kHz
to 30.0 MHz} 'Passive' Antenna
NO TUNING REQUIRED ! {What Could Be Easier ! :o}
* Just Say No To Antenna Tuners - Stay-Out The Dials.
* Just Say No To Pre-Selectors - Stay-Out The Knobs.
These so-called Magnetic Long-Wire Baluns (MLB) allows you
to Tune anywhere throughtout entire range of Shortwave Radio
Bands on your Shortwave Radio / HF Receiver. Again your
'focus' is On-the-Radio {Tuning-the-Radio} and thus your
Attention is to Listening-to-the Radio.
{End-of-Rant}

i simply like listening to the shortwave radio - iane ~ RHF {pomkia}

Cato

Apr 3, 2008, 1:39:09 AM4/3/08

Well... no getting past the fact the Sony is a great antenna. I
admit that... and setting it and forgetting is is great.

However... for me... let's say I want to listen to Radio
Taiwan.... I turn the antenna for that direction... like you do the
Sony.... then enter 5950 on my radio... turn on my antenna... and
spend about three seconds bringing it in with the little
wheel.....doesn't seem like a lot of work to me.....

The I settle back and listen for the next hour to Jade Bells and
Bamboo Pipes etc.

With the backpacking and canoeing I do in the wilderness.....
taking a little Eton E100 and a TG24/DE31MS makes a lot of sense too.
Lighter weight, and they take up less room then a larger radio and
antenna. Every inch of room and every ounce of weight really count.

Yes... I do agree that the Sony is a more sensitive antenna.....
And I may add one to my collection very soon. But I do like my TG34.
For its price and size.... it is a good antenna.