Recommendations for antenna for sony ICF 7600GR

bugrunner

Nov 19, 2004, 10:29:05 PM11/19/04
Hello
I have this radio and was curious what other owners find to be the best
antenna to pair it with.

Radio Flyer

Nov 19, 2004, 11:16:18 PM11/19/04
the longest piece of copper wire you can get your hands on

"bugrunner" <bugr...@cox.net> wrote in message

Volker Tonn

Nov 20, 2004, 8:04:17 AM11/20/04

Radio Flyer schrieb:

> the longest piece of copper wire you can get your hands on

WRONG!

This radio is very sensitive already on the whip antenna. A peace of
15-30ft of wire just attached with an alligator clip surely will enhance
the perfornance, especially on the lower bands. Too much of wire will
overload the radio. At least there is an additional
preselector/bandpassfilter needed then.

Steve

Nov 20, 2004, 8:24:38 AM11/20/04
"bugrunner" <bugr...@cox.net> wrote in message news:<TUynd.3574$SA.2943@lakeread02>...
> Hello
> I have this radio and was curious what other owners find to be the best
> antenna to pair it with.

I have the best results with a piece of copper wire (20-30 ft. in
length) clipped to the external antenna.

Sony's AN-LP1 active loop also works well with the 7600GR. It's quite
a bit more expensive than the wire, though.

Steve

Message has been deleted

Drifter

Nov 20, 2004, 3:25:34 PM11/20/04
in case no one noticed- Universal Radio has a new one
on their used list for $73.00. an AN-LP1 antenna that is.
i use one with my 7600GR, in the car, hanging on the
pass. side window. i get a few strange looks, but it
works great. or, as Steve said, 20-30 foot of wire. at
home that is...
Drifter...

Joe Analssandrini

Nov 20, 2004, 6:40:06 PM11/20/04
Hello.

The very best antenna for use with the '7600GR that I have found is
the AOR WL500 Window Loop Antenna. (It also works extremely well with
table-top receivers.) The next best (and quite a bit less expensive)
is the Sony AN-LP1 Active Loop Antenna, available from AES or
Universal (check with both for availability). This one is excellent
for travel as well; though the AOR can be broken down for travel, it
is much less convenient than the AN-LP1. Both of the above should only
be used indoors (near a window) unless there is absolutely no breeze
outside. A very useful antenna for use outdoors is the Sangean ANT-60.
On trips I take both the AN-LP1 and the ANT-60.

I hope that helps you.

Best,

Joe

Radio Flyer

Nov 21, 2004, 12:07:29 AM11/21/04

"Volker Tonn" <screw...@despammed.com> wrote in message

> Radio Flyer schrieb:
>
>> the longest piece of copper wire you can get your hands on
>>

> WRONG!
>
> This radio is very sensitive already on the whip antenna. A peace of
> 15-30ft of wire just attached with an alligator clip surely will enhance
> the perfornance, especially on the lower bands. Too much of wire will
> overload the radio. At least there is an additional
> preselector/bandpassfilter needed then.

The sensitivity is a separate issue. Yes, you may need to add a filter
depending on the radio type. But add that filter and I guarantee you that a
200 meter copper wire will outperfrom a 10 meter one.

RHF

Nov 21, 2004, 1:12:54 PM11/21/04
= = = "bugrunner" <bugr...@cox.net> wrote in message
= = = news:<TUynd.3574$SA.2943@lakeread02>...

> Hello
> I have this radio and was curious what other owners find to be the best
> antenna to pair it with.

Bug Runner,

For 'portable radio like the Sony ICF-SW7600GR, consider the
"Portable Wire Antenna" (PWA) that was created and written about
by Tom Sevart [N2UHC].

Portable Wire Antenna "PWA" for the Sony ICF-2010. To 'quote'
Tom Sevant "This is an antenna I put together after having
problems with overload on my Sony 2010 portable shortwave receiver"
GoTo=> http://www.geocities.com/n2uhc/portablewire.html

FWIW: Basically, the PWA is a a short to medium length
"Random Wire Antenna" that is 'couple' via the 'portable'
Radio's Whip Antenna for improved reception.

HOW-TO-USE-IT - Place the "Coupling Coil":
[ Three Ways to Use the "Portable Wire Antenna" (PWA) ]
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/306

#1. Vertically [Over] the 'portable' Radio's "Partially Collapsed"
Whip Antenna for Improved Shortwave (SW) Radio Reception.
- Vary the "Length/Stub" of the Whip Antenna to 'adjust' the
amount of effective coupling and Signal Transfer.

#2. Vertically [Over] the 'portable' radio's "Fully Extended"
Whip Antenna for Improved FM Radio Reception.

#3. Horizontally [Near] the 'portable' radio's AM/MW Ferrite Rod
Antenna for Improved AM/MW and Longwave Radio Reception.
- Adjust the 'position' of the Coupling Coil to vary the amount
of effective coupling and Signal Transfer.
GoTo=> http://www.geocities.com/n2uhc/portablewire.html
The webpage written by by Tom Sevart [N2UHC] describes the
construction and set-up of the PWA [Portable Wire Antenna].

READ: Sony ICF-SW7600GR a few External Antenna Options
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/1088

Also, you may wish to "JOIN" one or both of these YAHOO eGroups
for Sony ICF-SW7600GR Owners.

* Sony ICF-SW7600 / G / GR eGroup
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/7600group/

* Sony ICF-SW7600GR eGroup
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/7600GR/
.
.
iane ~ RHF
.
Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night...
You Can Hear Forever and Beyond - THE BEYOND !
.
EXTRA READING: Here are a few Messages to Read about using
External Antennas with 'portable' AM/FM/Shortwave Radios like
the Sony ICF-SW7600GR:

* The simplest & easiest 'portable' Shortwave Antenna
to use 'portable' Radios
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/933

* External Antenna Options for the Grundig Yacht Boy 300 PE
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/476

* Sony ICF-SW7600GR and the Sony AN-LP1 Antenna
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/664

* Using the Sony ICF-2010 with the Portable Wire Antenna "PWA"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/583

* Three Ways to Use the "Portable Wire Antenna" (PWA)

* The "PWA" [Portable Wire Antenna]... for use with'portable' radios
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/249

iane ~ RHF
.
.