FRT-7700 (Yaesu Antenna Tuner)

Knut Otterbeck

Mar 14, 2003, 4:19:58 PM3/14/03

Hi All!

I suppose this is an active tuner; where and how and how much current do I
feed this tuner , please?

From the back of the tuner there are two insulated ,shielded wires. A GREY
one and a RED one.

The shields are interconnected in the end and marked "E" (for EARTH, I
suppose ?)

The grey wire is marked "SW/BC" , and the red wire is marked "BC".

How do I connect current to this setup , and is it 12V - please?

BTW: If anyone knows of a link to a downloadable manual or other FRT-7700
info , please advise ......

Greetings,
Knut Otterbeck
Oslo - Norway

http://www.geocities.com/grundig_satellit
Grundig Satellit info & Radio links
(Alternate e-mail: otte...@c2i.net)

N8KDV

Mar 14, 2003, 4:21:52 PM3/14/03
It's a passive tuner. You might want to try a Google search. They were meant
to be used with the Yaesu receivers, and I don't recall exactly how they were
plugged in.

N8KDV

Mar 14, 2003, 4:22:44 PM3/14/03
PLEASE!!!!!!! Do not plug it into 12 volts!!!!!!!!!!!

Knut Otterbeck

Mar 14, 2003, 6:04:21 PM3/14/03

Fine , it's passive! Thanks for this important info :)

Then the grey "SW/BC" wire must be for the antenna-in terminal of the
receiver , and "E" for the Earth terminal.

Having sorted out the active/passive question ,I take it no harm can be done
by hooking the wires to the receiver.

Then what's the "BC" wire for?... Broadcast?

Thanks again......

--

Knut Otterbeck
Oslo - Norway

http://www.geocities.com/grundig_satellit
Grundig Satellit info & Radio links
(Alternate e-mail: otte...@c2i.net)

"N8KDV" <n8...@iserv.net> wrote in message

N8KDV

Mar 14, 2003, 8:38:43 PM3/14/03

Knut Otterbeck wrote:

> Fine , it's passive! Thanks for this important info :)
>
> Then the grey "SW/BC" wire must be for the antenna-in terminal of the
> receiver , and "E" for the Earth terminal.
>
> Having sorted out the active/passive question ,I take it no harm can be done
> by hooking the wires to the receiver.
>
> Then what's the "BC" wire for?... Broadcast?

As I recall, the FRG-7700 had a separate antenna connection for the broadcast/MW
connection. That would be the "BC" wire.

I think that allowed the FRT-7700 to work better in the broadcast/MW area.

So if you are using the tuner primarily for short-wave, I'd go with the other
wire.

It can of course be used with other receivers than the Yaesu line.

Knut Otterbeck

Mar 14, 2003, 8:43:37 PM3/14/03

For your information , I just found a link to an online manual for the
FRT-7700. http://dsp.jpl.nasa.gov/members/payman/

QUOTE
1. Connect the gray coaxial cable coming from the rear apron of the
FRT-7700 to the SW/BC terminal on the rear apron of the FRG-7700. Connect
the red coaxial cable to the BC terminal. Both outer cables of the coaxial
cable should be connected to the terminal E.
UNQUOTE

So should I use the "SW/BC" cable or the "BC" cable , when hooking up to the
antenna terminal of a NON FRG-7700 receiver?

Cheers,

Knut Otterbeck
Oslo - Norway

http://www.geocities.com/grundig_satellit
Grundig Satellit info & Radio links
(Alternate e-mail: otte...@c2i.net)

"Knut Otterbeck" <knut.o...@chello.no> wrote in message

N8KDV

Mar 14, 2003, 8:49:45 PM3/14/03

Knut Otterbeck wrote:

> For your information , I just found a link to an online manual for the
> FRT-7700. http://dsp.jpl.nasa.gov/members/payman/
>
> QUOTE
> 1. Connect the gray coaxial cable coming from the rear apron of the
> FRT-7700 to the SW/BC terminal on the rear apron of the FRG-7700. Connect
> the red coaxial cable to the BC terminal. Both outer cables of the coaxial
> cable should be connected to the terminal E.
> UNQUOTE
>
> So should I use the "SW/BC" cable or the "BC" cable , when hooking up to the
> antenna terminal of a NON FRG-7700 receiver?

I'd give a try with either of them to see which one works the best.

RHF

Mar 14, 2003, 11:57:56 PM3/14/03
KO,

The Yaesu FRT-7700 has a front panel "OUT" DX-BC & SW/BC Switch and
two Antenna Output cables DX-BC & SW/BC with a common ground. This is
to switch In -or- Out the "EXTRA" DX-BC (AM/MW) Filtering Circuity
that is a unique feature of the FRT-7700. This feature of the
FRT-7700 is what endears it to many AM/MW DXers using the common
random wire antennas and other antenna designs that are not a full
wave length for the AM/MW Band.

The other front panel controls are common to most 'passive' Antenna
Tuners.

As I look across the room the FRA-7700 and FRT-7700 look very nice
sitting side-by-side on top of the FRG-7700. A Classic Looking Trio
of BCL/SWL Radio receiving gear.

NOTE: I have also used a second FRT-7700 with one of my Kenwood
R-5000s from time to time.

~ RHF

= = = "Knut Otterbeck" <knut.o...@chello.no>

Knut Otterbeck

Mar 15, 2003, 12:55:46 PM3/15/03

This was just the kind of information I was looking for , thanks so much for
Your help!

So there's no point in using the cable for the "Extra" DX-BC (AM/FM)
Filtering Circuitry for other receivers then the FRG-7700 ,then?

First and foremost I am going to use the FRT-7700 with a Grundig Satellit
400. A very capable, smooth, and sensitive radio. But the Satellit 400
easily overloads , and needs a little help when trying to cope with
wire-antennas and such....

Greetings,
Knut Otterbeck
Oslo - Norway

http://www.geocities.com/grundig_satellit
Grundig Satellit info & Radio links
(Alternate e-mail: otte...@c2i.net)

"RHF" <rhf-...@usa.com> wrote in message

RHF

Mar 15, 2003, 6:18:55 PM3/15/03
"Knut Otterbeck" <knut.o...@chello.no> wrote in message news:<oOJca.13910$oe.20961@amstwist00>...

> This was just the kind of information I was looking for , thanks so much for
> Your help!
>
> So there's no point in using the cable for the "Extra" DX-BC (AM/FM)
> Filtering Circuitry for other receivers then the FRG-7700 ,then?

KO,

If the radio/receiver has dual antenna inputs the FRT-7700 can be use
with both of the radio's antenna inputs. Then the Radio's Antenna
Selection Switch (A/B or 1/2) can be used to select one of the two
outputs (DX-BC or SW BC) from the FRT-7700.

REMEMBER: The FRT-7700 has its own Antenna Selector Switch (A/B) on
its front panel. So the FRT-7700 can be set-up to 'match' and 'tune'
both an External Random Wire Antenna for Shortwave and a Indoor Loop
Antenna for AM/MW.

> First and foremost I am going to use the FRT-7700 with a Grundig Satellit
> 400. A very capable, smooth, and sensitive radio. But the Satellit 400
> easily overloads , and needs a little help when trying to cope with
> wire-antennas and such....

KO,

The FRT-7700 is has 'selectable' 0, 10, 20, 40 and 60 dB Attenuator on
its front panel to help in dealing with antenna overload.

> Greetings, Knut Otterbeck, Oslo - Norway

~ RHF
.
-o/m- "Grundig S350" eGroup at YAHOO!
.
-o/m- "Grundig Satellit 900" eGroup at YAHOO!
.
-o/m- "Grundig_Yacht_Boy_Radios" eGroup at YAHOO!
.
-o/m- "Kenwood R-5000" eGroup at YAHOO!
.

.

Elias Ragi

Apr 30, 2022, 5:49:28 AM4/30/22
Very useful information from all contributors. I am resurrecting my communication receivers' interest, considering the ICOM's 8600, and in the process resurrecting the potential use of the FRT-7700, which has been sitting in its box since several years, having tried (to negligible effect – although I blame my ignorance in it use) it on the NRD-535. Thank you all for this forum. Elias, UK