AM reception ??? radios and antennas

Benzopia Topia

Dec 20, 2005, 4:33:26 PM12/20/05
What is the best types of antenna to optomize AM reception? Also what
are some of the better AM recievers on the market? What about the
antennas that are just set next to an AM radio without any actual
connection. I believe CC Crane sells 2 models. Thanks

GYT

Dec 20, 2005, 5:10:58 PM12/20/05
A General Electric Super Radio is a cheap start. There are always better
radios and they are limited only to how much cash you are willing to
sacrifice.

I'll let someone else chime in about the antennas you asked about.

"Benzopia Topia" <johnn...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

David

Dec 20, 2005, 6:51:48 PM12/20/05

The cheap SelectaTenna is the best oneIMNHO. The Super Radio is
analog. If I wanted to ,ess with cheap analogs I'd get an old 5 tube
superhet plastic radio.

I'm currently AM DXing with my ICOM R75 and an MFJ-1024 external
wideband active antenna on a 20' pole in my back yard. It's like
sitting in the front seat of my '56 Cadillac (without the vibrator
hum).

mcdona...@yahoo.com

Dec 20, 2005, 6:54:47 PM12/20/05

an inexpensive " Loop " antenna is a good investment..

Terk AM Advantage comes to mind

- ALso the C Crane / Justice antennas are supposed to be good..

anint NOTHING beats 1-3,000 feet of directional wire and a good
preselector

Telamon

Dec 20, 2005, 7:41:57 PM12/20/05
In article <3882-43A...@storefull-3277.bay.webtv.net>,
johnn...@hotmail.com (Benzopia Topia) wrote:

Loop type antennas that are air core or use ferrite cores.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

RHF

Dec 21, 2005, 2:34:31 AM12/21/05
BT,

THREE AM/MW RADIOS TO CONSIDER :

GE Superadio III {Analog Only}
- - - and older GE Superadio II would be better.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/spcialty/0547.html
http://www.ccrane.com/radios/am-fm-radios/ge-superadio-iii.aspx

Grundig S350 / Tecsun BCL-2000 {Analog Tuner with Digital Read-Out}
- - - or the newer Eton S350DL / Tecsun BCL-3000
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/portable/3500.html
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/portable/0036.html

CC Radio Plus {PPL Tuner and Digital Read-Out}
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/spcialty/4403.html
http://www.ccrane.com/radios/am-fm-radios/ccradio-plus/index.aspx

THREE AM/MW ANTENNAS TO CONSIDER :

Select-A-Tenna Model 541-M
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/mwant/4316.html
http://www.ccrane.com/antennas/am-antennas/select-a-tenna-hardwire-model.aspx
http://www.ccrane.com/antennas/am-antennas/select-a-tenna-model-m.aspx

Crane Twin Coil AM/MW Ferrite Rod Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/mwant/3675.html
http://www.ccrane.com/antennas/am-antennas/twin-coil-ferrite-am-antenna.aspx

Quantum QX Ferrite Rod AM/MW Antenna
http://dxtools.com/QX.htm
http://dxtools.com/PRODUCTS.htm

F Y I - THAT LITTLE SOMETHING EXTRA :

Best "Desk Top" Receivers for AM/MW/BCB DXing
http://dxtools.com/BestDXrx.htm

Best 'portable' Radios for AM/MW/BCB DXing
http://dxtools.com/BestDXrx.htm

THREE MESSAGES TO READ ABOUT AM/MW DXING :

AM/MW DXing with the GE Superadio III
or the Grundig S350 / Tecsun BCL-2000 Radios
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/7d9d216f62a0a6dd

Casual AM/MW DXing ? Grundig S350 -=V=- Sony ICF-SW7600GR
Plus the Select-A-Tenna
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/42775fa5f377a2a5

Improving AM Broadcast Band Reception
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/a214420bd2aa34de

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF
.
.
. .
.

nm...@wt.net

Dec 21, 2005, 4:09:48 AM12/21/05
What is the best types of antenna to optomize AM reception?

Beverages, flags, loops, etc...

Also what
are some of the better AM recievers on the market?

There are half a zillion models that will do the job.
I prefer digital readout, and decent selectivity, but
not so tight as to pinch up the audio.

What about the
antennas that are just set next to an AM radio without any actual
connection. I believe CC Crane sells 2 models. Thanks

You can build one that will work about as well as anything else
for peanuts... I have one design I've been using that uses a very
simple and cheap PVC frame.
http://web.wt.net/~nm5k/loop5.jpg
Those can be placed next to a radio to couple, or you can add
a coupling loop, if you want to feed it with coax.
I have one in this room that I use with my IC-706mk2g.
It's a diamond , and each wire side is appx 48 inches. It
sits in a rotating stand, and is nearly as tall as the ceiling
when in the mount. It's even simplier than those plans, as
that one uses a single fat support PVC mast, and crossarms
like the plans, with the "T's" on the ends to run the wire through.
I use a multigang capacitor, that is switchable as far as the
number of gangs, or which particular one I want to use.
The way mine is set up, it's a "two range" loop , if you switch
cap settings. It tunes from below the MW-BC band up to above
the 160m ham band. Except for my lack of regeneration, it's
as good as anything you would buy. I could always add a
regen circuit to increase the Q, but have never felt the need.
That design is set for 7 turns on a 35 inch per side frame.
My 48 inch per side loop uses only 5 turns. I use a single
coupling loop that is appx 6-8 inches inside the main loop
wires. I feed mine with coax.
But I made one for one guy that used to hang out on this
group, and he directly coupled his while sitting on a lazy
susan. He said it worked fine. His was exactly like the one
in that plan on my page. I dunno if he has been around here
lately or not...Haven't seen him in a while. He used the
name "bearcats" or sumtin like that...As in sports fan...
One of those loops, just passively coupled, can turn even
a semi dead cheap radio into a pretty good performer. Loops
are great for daytime regional listening. Those signals
are mostly ground wave, and you can really see the nulls
you can get from the loops. A decent loop will make a
daytime groundwave station disappear if you turn the null
to it.. IE: broadside to the loop.
MK

Message has been deleted

cuh...@webtv.net

Dec 21, 2005, 5:55:08 PM12/21/05
I own ann old Sears Travler AM/FM/SHORTWAVE transistor radio that in my
opinion is unexcelled at AM dxing.The pushbuttons on the top of the
radio are worn out and the off/on/volume control knob/switch is worn out
and if I want to use the radio,I have to mess around with it a long
time.The radio was worn out when I bought it at a Goodwill store years
ago.
cuhulin

cuh...@webtv.net

Dec 21, 2005, 6:05:10 PM12/21/05
www.devilfinder.com How to build your own long distance AM Radio
Antenna

Something I never could understand (and this is only me opinion) is why
spend a small fortune for so-called super antennas,when you can build
your own.
cuhulin

David

Dec 21, 2005, 9:28:14 PM12/21/05

Never underestimate the power of comfort.