WBZ Boston has shut off their HD tonight!

jimwi...@labs.net

Jan 2, 2009, 8:07:47 PM1/2/09
WBZ Boston has shut off their HD tonight! This is very good news!
They've a huge sgnal here and their HD hash was tremendous. Hope this
is the wave of the future!

Dave

Jan 2, 2009, 9:54:28 PM1/2/09

Sanity rears it ugly head at CBS.

Dave

Jan 2, 2009, 9:57:04 PM1/2/09

Very odd re: KNX seems to hav reduced, but not completely dropper their
IBOC. I can clearly receive the Mexican on 1080, but KNX is still warbling.

jimwi...@labs.net

Jan 2, 2009, 10:16:52 PM1/2/09
On Jan 2, 9:57 pm, Dave <d...@dave.dave> wrote:

I hope it stays off. WHAS, Lousiville, KY is also off tonight. These
are good signs.

Brenda Ann

Jan 2, 2009, 10:45:58 PM1/2/09

"Dave" <da...@dave.dave> wrote in message

Which Mexican are you receiving on 1080? Only one I've heard around there
was 1090 XEPRS (Back then it was the 1090 Soul Express with Wolfman Jack)
Wasn't going to hear much on 1080 other than the 50KW flamethrower local
(then KWJJ).

elaich

Jan 2, 2009, 10:48:01 PM1/2/09
jimwi...@labs.net wrote in news:92ce26ba-fee2-4f76-9e34-e459b693b8b8
@x14g2000yqk.googlegroups.com:

> I hope it stays off. WHAS, Lousiville, KY is also off tonight. These
> are good signs.

Now, if KFBK would follow suit. I haven't heard anything on 1520 and 1540
in years.

Dave

Jan 3, 2009, 12:13:17 AM1/3/09
Could be an American station playing accordion music and singing in
Spanish. I think I hear some HD hash, but not much.

David Eduardo

Jan 3, 2009, 3:17:39 AM1/3/09

"Dave" <da...@dave.dave> wrote in message

KNX was off HD for several months; they have been back on for the last three
weeks. The reason they were off is apparently some major construction at the
transmitter site.

David Eduardo

Jan 3, 2009, 3:18:30 AM1/3/09

"Dave" <da...@dave.dave> wrote in message

I get it to the same contour as always driving east... around Rancho
Cucamonga on the 210.

David Eduardo

Jan 3, 2009, 4:30:56 AM1/3/09

"Brenda Ann" <bre...@shinbiro.com> wrote in message

1080 is usually Cd. Morelos, a "suburb" of San Luis Rio Colorado. XEDY,
Radio Gallo, 5 kw CP.

elaich

Jan 3, 2009, 7:52:12 AM1/3/09
"Brenda Ann" <bre...@shinbiro.com> wrote in

> Only one I've heard around there
> was 1090 XEPRS (Back then it was the 1090 Soul Express with Wolfman
> Jack)

Remember "Crusin' Oldies" with Huggy Boy? Wish I could find an aircheck of
that!

1090 is now "Double X" with Sporting News Radio.

Dave

Jan 3, 2009, 9:14:52 AM1/3/09

This morning the 1080 station has some kind of religious twaddle, in EE.

Dave

Jan 3, 2009, 9:18:30 AM1/3/09
Yuma.

Dave

Jan 3, 2009, 9:36:54 AM1/3/09

The border powerhouse quickly reappeared in the 1940s as XERF, 1570 kHz,
and still all in English. The station was supposedly down to "only" 250
kW, omnidirectional, on one of those Mexican clear channels it had
helped create. There were, however, regular rumors that sometimes, in
the dead of night, when the electric bill was paid up, the engineers
couldn't resist cranking the thing un poquito mas, permanently fading
the paint on every south wall clear to Alberta. The "RF" stood for
"Radio Fifteen," but all the world's nerds knew what it really stood for.

For all its wattage, XERF was kind of a nowhere station. It tried the
same time-brokered format of Texas radio preachers, yee-hah bands,
chatty DJs, and quack cures, but without Brinkley to pull it off. It
lost money. The owner was forever in and out of legal trouble.

Fortunately, Ciudad Acuña still drew larger-than-life figures to its
larger-than-life radio. The next one to happen along was Bob Smith, a
skinny white kid from a tough section of Brooklyn, who had drifted from
one southern US station to the next, learning his DJ gig the tough way.
He had one major career problem - he insisted on playing the real, urban
blues, the cynically named "race records" by the original black artists.
White boys just didn't do that in the late 50s and early 60s - they
played the vapid cover versions aimed at nice Caucasian folks. In
Virginia, it is said, the Klan burned a cross on his lawn.

That's right - this skinny white kid with the black voice who could
reach Canada without a transmitter was Wolfman Jack, the legendary radio
figure who stoked a generation on the blues, and pretty much invented
the sixties. Yes, he's the guy George Lucas put in the movie. Better
Lucas should have told the real story though. The Wolfman did not hang
out in some hayburner sucking Popsicles. The Wolfman did not play
anything as sissy as the Del-Vikings. The one thing he did do was "blast
that thing clear around the world," as the dorky actor said.

Now, the Wolfman washed up at XERF during a strike. He wound up more or
less running the place. XERF's media karma was at work. Magic was alive.
The owner had defaulted, repeatedly, on payroll and taxes, and the
Federales were getting ready to sieze the station again. Somehow,
though, Wolfman and others raised the money to keep the border blaster
on the air. They played music people wanted to hear, all the time
selling all manner of dubious products on-mike.

Wolfman lived in Del Rio and commuted over the border, his Cadillac
filled with recordings and $100 bills. With no consultants, no rating
books, no focus groups, no audience research, no tests, no wired-up
teenagers holding red and green buttons, none of that crap, he
re-invented night time radio. He plugged it into That Big Amp In The
Sky, and cranked it to eleven - or at least 110% modulation - on his
signature howls. If you were halfway hip in the sixties, you knew where
to listen. That's all.

There was one problem. Nobody was quite sure who owned the station.
Nasty letters were written, death threats were exchanged, and XERF
started fitting out a private corps of security guards. The station
stocked up on some gear not normally seen at a broadcast site, such as
automatic weapons and plenty of ammo. The once beautiful transmitter
building, already minus most of its original detailing, became even more
like a fort.

Wolfman Jack liked to tell a story about what happened next. Now,
everyone agrees that there was a real, border shootout, just like in the
movies, the DJ diving for cover, bullets flying every which way.
Wolfman, of course, always said he was there, having heard pistol shots
on the air, and broken the speed record down from Del Rio in his Caddy.
Others say he probably wasn't there, but that the gun battle definitely
happened, followed by lots of cops poking around, lots of investigations
and legal complications. No matter how you want to tell the story, it
was not the Wolfman's best year.

Wolfman moved on, as all radio gypsies must, to another border blaster
in a marsh by the Tijuana River, with a dead shot up to Los Angeles, and
yet another emisadora muy grande. This was XERB, Rosarito Beach, BC.
XERB's signal could hold its own with such L.A. giants as KFI and KNX,
and certainly had no trouble whatever shooting up the Central Valley as
depicted by George Lucas. It was perfect setup for the Wolfman. Now the
mystery man with the huge voice and the good music could own California
at night, and inspire everyone. The rest is history, and more than one
great movie.

http://www.modestoradiomuseum.org/story%20of%20xerf.html

SX-25

Jan 3, 2009, 10:28:26 AM1/3/09

These broadcasters are insane to do things like HD/IBOC to restrict and
limit their already-dwindling audiences. They should be working to INCREASE
their coverage area and listenership; not reduce it. All you have to do is
go to the FCC website and see the number of radio stations that are filing
to "go dark." Interestingly, those numbers reveal more FM stations are
shutting down for good than AMs.

It will be interesting to see the TV broadcasters at the wailing wall after
February 17 when they realize their coverage area has been reduced and they
have lost viewer ratings which will translate to advertising dollars. As an
industry no one had the balls to stand up and protest the ridiculous DTV
switchover. They, too, are heading for disaster in a time when they've got
so much more competition than just other TV channels.

After it is all said and done, will the TV and radio broadcasters LEARN
anything from their folly? Probably not. I was in the industry for many
years and know how the pack-mentality works there. Once the alpha male comes
up with an idea, no matter how stupid, the remainder of the pack feeds off
it and sustains itself by feeding off the hype.

jimwi...@labs.net

Jan 3, 2009, 11:20:46 AM1/3/09

Well said SX-25. You sound like a good guy.

David Eduardo

Jan 3, 2009, 2:06:46 PM1/3/09

"Dave" <da...@dave.dave> wrote in message

Near Yuma, but SLRC is a bigger city than Yuma.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

David Eduardo

Jan 3, 2009, 2:43:11 PM1/3/09

.

> The border powerhouse quickly reappeared in the 1940s as XERF, 1570 kHz,
> and still all in English. The station was supposedly down to "only" 250
> kW, omnidirectional, on one of those Mexican clear channels it had helped
> create. There were, however, regular rumors that sometimes, in the dead of
> night, when the electric bill was paid up,

XERF appeared after XERA was decomissioned. It never had more than 250 kw,
and had no electric bill... it had its own generator.

XERA disappeared prior to NARBA, per lists from the era. XERF appeared after
WW II, with 150 kw, going to 250 kw when a new RCA Ampliphase was installed
somewhere around 1960.

> For all its wattage, XERF was kind of a nowhere station. It tried the same
> time-brokered format of Texas radio preachers, yee-hah bands, chatty DJs,
> and quack cures, but without Brinkley to pull it off. It lost money. The
> owner was forever in and out of legal trouble.

When the station went to 250 kw under General Manager Sergio Ballesteros, it
was owned by Richard Eaton through a proxy. The former owners would
occasionally protest, once riding horses into the station compound while
firing weapons. Nothing came of it... the new owner had given free
electricity to the town to provide street lights so was well looked on.

In the 60's, the station was enormously profitable with the baby chicks and
prayer table cloths and the resurrection plant and non-stop record deals and
preachers.

> Fortunately, Ciudad Acuña still drew larger-than-life figures to its
> larger-than-life radio.

The town was called Villa Acuña through the 60's. It was not incorporated
until well into the 70's.

> Now, the Wolfman washed up at XERF during a strike. He wound up more or
> less running the place. XERF's media karma was at work. Magic was alive.
> The owner had defaulted, repeatedly, on payroll and taxes, and the
> Federales were getting ready to sieze the station again. Somehow, though,
> Wolfman and others raised the money to keep the border blaster on the air.
> They played music people wanted to hear, all the time selling all manner
> of dubious products on-mike.

Just not true.

> Wolfman lived in Del Rio and commuted over the border, his Cadillac filled
> with recordings and $100 bills. With no consultants, no rating books, no
> focus groups, no audience research, no tests, no wired-up teenagers
> holding red and green buttons, none of that crap, he re-invented night
> time radio. He plugged it into That Big Amp In The Sky, and cranked it to
> eleven - or at least 110% modulation - on his signature howls. If you were
> halfway hip in the sixties, you knew where to listen. That's all.

110% modulation causes carrier supression. And the Ampliphase could not do
positive peaks, and had a hard time on negs... just impossible.

The rest of the story you lifted is unadulterated drivel and lies and
exaggeration.

dxAce

Jan 3, 2009, 2:46:38 PM1/3/09

David Eduardo wrote:

Sounds like something straight from you, 'Eduardo'!

David Eduardo

Jan 3, 2009, 2:47:47 PM1/3/09

"SX-25" <teleg...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> These broadcasters are insane to do things like HD/IBOC to restrict and
> limit their already-dwindling audiences. They should be working to
> INCREASE their coverage area and listenership; not reduce it.

Stations make no money outside their home market or market area.

<All you have to do is
> go to the FCC website and see the number of radio stations that are filing
> to "go dark." Interestingly, those numbers reveal more FM stations are
> shutting down for good than AMs.

Yet, except for one or two, all are LPFMs that could not continue to operate
as non-profits due to lack of revenue.

Many AMs that are closing are doing so because they can't compete with FMs
and the cost of the large pieces of land needed by some is untenable...
taxes, maintenance, etc.

> It will be interesting to see the TV broadcasters at the wailing wall
> after February 17 when they realize their coverage area has been reduced
> and they have lost viewer ratings which will translate to advertising
> dollars.

Almost all TV viewing is via cable, and often way beyond the coverage areas
of analog or digital (look at the SLC DMA for an example... map at the
Nielsen site)

David Eduardo

Jan 3, 2009, 2:52:05 PM1/3/09

"Bob Dobbs" <chupa...@operamail.com> wrote in message

> Dave wrote:
>>
>>Wolfman moved on, as all radio gypsies must, to another border blaster
>>in a marsh by the Tijuana River, with a dead shot up to Los Angeles, and
>>yet another emisadora muy grande. This was XERB, Rosarito Beach, BC.
>>XERB's signal could hold its own with such L.A. giants as KFI and KNX,
>>and certainly had no trouble whatever shooting up the Central Valley as
>>depicted by George Lucas. It was perfect setup for the Wolfman. Now the
>>mystery man with the huge voice and the good music could own California
>>at night, and inspire everyone. The rest is history, and more than one
>>great movie.
>
> He did a stint at XERA 91X (91.1) serving SoCal from Tijuana for awhile
> back in the 80's, which was a fairly progressive station quite popular
> in the San Diego smsa.

That's XETRA.

David Eduardo

Jan 3, 2009, 2:59:29 PM1/3/09

"dxAce" <dx...@milestones.com> wrote in message

> Sounds like something straight from you, 'Eduardo'!

It's right from White's Radio Logs from the period, plus from Sergio
Ballesteros, who has lived in Puerto Rico since about 1974 where he has been
a record industry executive.

dxAce

Jan 3, 2009, 3:05:07 PM1/3/09

David Eduardo wrote:

Try to pay attention, boy! I was referring to your "...unadulterated drivel and
lies and exaggeration" comment.

Message has been deleted

elaich

Jan 3, 2009, 4:02:18 PM1/3/09
Bob Dobbs <chupa...@operamail.com> wrote in news:4961bcb8.2256359
@chupacabra:

> Just checked XX - 1090 (19:29 UTC) and no IBOC sidebands visible here,
> cant see or hear anything from 1080, next bump down is KNX (1070).

KNX is the culprit. They obliterate 1060 and 1080 here. Never heard any
IBOC on XX.

cuh...@webtv.net

Jan 3, 2009, 4:11:14 PM1/3/09
What is that website of that Boston Irish online chatroom? I used to get
in there, drunker than a skunk.
cuhulin

David Eduardo

Jan 3, 2009, 4:57:51 PM1/3/09

> At the time they IDed in Spanish as XERA-FM sin la letra "T"

No, they didn't.

David Eduardo

Jan 3, 2009, 4:57:25 PM1/3/09

"dxAce" <dx...@milestones.com> wrote in message

Ah, a subject you know a lot about, having created most of that content on
this ng yourself with your rants about all the groups you hate, like
Canadians, Hispanics, etc.

dxAce

Jan 3, 2009, 5:02:08 PM1/3/09

David Eduardo wrote:

> "dxAce" <dx...@milestones.com> wrote in message
> >

> > David Eduardo wrote:
> >
> >> "dxAce" <dx...@milestones.com> wrote in message

> >> It's right from White's Radio Logs from the period, plus from Sergio
> >> Ballesteros, who has lived in Puerto Rico since about 1974 where he has
> >> been
> >> a record industry executive.
> >
> > Try to pay attention, boy! I was referring to your "...unadulterated
> > drivel and
> > lies and exaggeration" comment.
> >

> Ah, a subject you know a lot about, having created most of that content on
> this ng yourself with your rants about all the groups you hate, like
> Canadians, Hispanics, etc.

Oh come on. I only hate dumbass Canucks and faux Hispanics, such as yourself,
boy!

Brenda Ann

Jan 3, 2009, 5:17:49 PM1/3/09

"David Eduardo" <da...@davideduardo.com> wrote in message

I seem to remember their AM plant identifying in the early 70's as XTRA
(un-id?) The first AM stereo broadcast in some strange precursor of the
Kahn system (independant sidebands, you could listen in stereo using two
radios tuned to either side of the carrier)

Dave

Jan 3, 2009, 5:49:21 PM1/3/09

I suspect the English religious program is for Yuma.

Monty Hall

Jan 3, 2009, 5:52:41 PM1/3/09

>> These broadcasters are insane to do things like HD/IBOC to restrict and
>> limit their already-dwindling audiences. They should be working to
>> INCREASE their coverage area and listenership; not reduce it.

The only coverage that counts is in their home markets.

DX listeners don't count in the business model.

Dave

Jan 3, 2009, 5:58:10 PM1/3/09
David Eduardo wrote:

> The town was called Villa Acuña through the 60's. It was not
> incorporated until well into the 70's.

They identified in English as "X E R F Ciudad Acuna Coahilla Mexico"
during the Wolfman Jack/Brother Al period, which I remember as being the
early mid '60s.

Brenda Ann

Jan 3, 2009, 6:38:13 PM1/3/09

"Monty Hall" <HallM...@Hall.com> wrote in message

They don't count because these days some bean counter doesn't care. At one
time, they were quite important, and a large number of high power stations
programmed specifically for them. KWJJ and KGA used to have nighttime
programming aimed specifically at coast to coast truckers and sold time to
businesses that catered to them, such as truck stops, oil companies, etc.
WSM still figures in distant listeners for the Grand Ole' Opry. Nearly
every station had someone on their staff that would answer signal reports.

David Eduardo

Jan 3, 2009, 6:39:43 PM1/3/09

>>> At the time they IDed in Spanish as XERA-FM sin la letra "T"
>>
>> No, they didn't.
>
> I seem to remember their AM plant identifying in the early 70's as XTRA
> (un-id?) The first AM stereo broadcast in some strange precursor of the
> Kahn system (independant sidebands, you could listen in stereo using two
> radios tuned to either side of the carrier)

That was how Arbitron, which couldn't (and still can't) accommodate calls of
more than 4 letters, listed them in the book... but they always ID'ed as
XETRA when they had to... most of the time it was "Extra" which is a name
that goes back to Gordon McLendon's early efforts at all news... "Extra News
over Los Angeles." That was the first all news station serving a US market,
around 1960, although the format was invented in Cuba around 1948.

When the news format failed, in part due to the border restrictions on
sending US programming to a foreign transmitter (thanks to Doc Brinkley)
they did Top 40 and Beautiful Music for the next two decades.

David Eduardo

Jan 3, 2009, 6:42:01 PM1/3/09

"Dave" <da...@dave.dave> wrote in message

Possible, but I wonder if it was not another station, like KSCO. Mexican
stations have to go through an extensive permit process to broadcast in
another language, and it would not make sense to do it in a market that size
for one program. Further, there are considerable restrictions on religious
programming in Mexico, as well, and I don't think a religious show would be
allowed in English...

David Eduardo

Jan 3, 2009, 6:42:28 PM1/3/09

"Monty Hall" <HallM...@Hall.com> wrote in message

They never have since the early 50's.

David Eduardo

Jan 3, 2009, 6:43:14 PM1/3/09

"Dave" <da...@dave.dave> wrote in message

Cd. Acuña came in the 70's... it was Villa Acuña in the 60's.

David Eduardo

Jan 3, 2009, 6:51:04 PM1/3/09

> "Monty Hall" <HallM...@Hall.com> wrote in message

>> The only coverage that counts is in their home markets.
>>
>> DX listeners don't count in the business model.
>

> They don't count because these days some bean counter doesn't care. At
> one time, they were quite important, and a large number of high power
> stations programmed specifically for them. [/quote]

True. If you look at the ads in Broadcasting Magazine in the 40's, many
talked about mail count from many, many states.

After TV "arrived," meaning the two to three years after the freeze was
lifted, radio at night was barely listened to. So skywave reception (or DXX
reception) became of little use as there were few listeners and fewer
advertisers.

With the advent of Top 40 and rock and roll, a few stations like KOMA and
WKBW and such, in smaller markets but with big night signals, got the teen
audience across large areas. As FM took those listeners and more stations
came on the air, that, too, disappeared.

By the early 70's, there was no use for night skywave in most of America.
After docket 80-90 and with the coming of the Internet, there is totally no
use today.

< KWJJ and KGA used to have nighttime
> programming aimed specifically at coast to coast truckers and sold time to
> businesses that catered to them, such as truck stops, oil companies, etc.

By the late 70's, none of these shows made money.... although stations
continued to carry them since they got good programming on a barter basis.
Most overnight shows didn't take the barter spots in overnight, either. Even
today, to get Coast To Coast you have to run daytime barter spots. Nobody
wants overnight ad time.... even in the big markets.

> WSM still figures in distant listeners for the Grand Ole' Opry.

WSM, today, is the the lowest billing of the former 1A and 1B clears. It is
not even in the top 15 locally, with an AM preaching and teaching religious
station outbilling it, even.

< Nearly
> every station had someone on their staff that would answer signal reports.

That has not been true since the late 60's... even in the early 60's, about
a third of DX reports had to be followed up with a second or third request
to get a verification.

Dave

Jan 3, 2009, 6:52:21 PM1/3/09

I remember it like it was yesterday. I was a total XERF junkie when I
was a kid in Scottsdale.

David Eduardo

Jan 3, 2009, 6:56:20 PM1/3/09

"Dave" <da...@dave.dave> wrote in message

And the manager recalls it was always Villa Acuña, Coahuila, México for his
tenure, which ended around 1972.

Dave

Jan 3, 2009, 7:09:56 PM1/3/09
David Eduardo wrote:

> "Dave" <da...@dave.dave> wrote in message
>> David Eduardo wrote:
>>>
>>> "Dave" <da...@dave.dave> wrote in message

>>> Cd. Acuña came in the 70's... it was Villa Acuña in the 60's.
>>
>> I remember it like it was yesterday. I was a total XERF junkie when I
>> was a kid in Scottsdale.
>
> And the manager recalls it was always Villa Acuña, Coahuila, México for
> his tenure, which ended around 1972.

The manager is mistaken. The ID quoted here is the one I remember.

"Paul Kallinger

The booming bass voice of Paul Kallinger was used to sell many of the
products on XERF. At night, his recorded spots between the different
sponsored shows served as a jingle break. Paul Kallinger remained on the
Texas side of the border and recorded his spots at a studio in Del Rio,
because he did not want to become embroiled with the lawlessness that
swirled around the XERF studio and transmitter on the other side of the
border. In between the different religious programs Paul Kallinger would
tell XERF listeners in various versions, that:

It’s always good to know that we have some fine people out there
listening to the most powerful commercial voice in the world … From
alongside the beautiful Rio Grande, this is XERF, Ciudad Acuña,
Coahuila, Mexico. Our mailing address is Del Rio, Texas. This is Paul
Kallinger.

To satisfy the Mexican authorities, the portion identifying the
station’s call letters and the station’s location in Mexico, would then
be repeated in the Spanish language."

David Eduardo

Jan 3, 2009, 7:59:39 PM1/3/09

> David Eduardo wrote:
>>

>> And the manager recalls it was always Villa Acuña, Coahuila, México for
>> his tenure, which ended around 1972.
>
> The manager is mistaken. The ID quoted here is the one I remember.

You are amusing. Your recollection, reinforced by a book that is just chock
full of errors, is better than the word of the guy who lived at the station
for about 12 years, negotiated with the town, and handled all the licensing
requirements.

Many DXers from the 60's have the XERF verie letter signed by Sergio
Ballesteros.

msg

Jan 3, 2009, 9:54:54 PM1/3/09
David Eduardo wrote:

What is your understanding of the market coverage for clear channel WCCO 830
during the 1960s and into the mid 1980s? During all of that time, as a listener,
I heard them advertising to a Minnesota state-wide and upper midwest area market
during the day and national spots were common at night. They even promoted their
clear channel status and nationwide focus on each ID. Programming was always
wide-area oriented and rarely was restricted to the Mpls/St.Paul metro. Everyone
over the entire state regarded it as a cherished voice of a people and region,
and the station widely promoted that image with various state-wide awards,
outreach programs, frequent remotes, etc. Its changes in recent decades are
still lamented by older listeners, and I would appreciate knowing if any
other clear channels were held in the high regard, as an institution, that
was WCCO. Folks of a certain age in our area still wax nostalgic about WGN,
WBBN and others, but none of them held as much importance as WCCO to folks
in our five state area.

Michael

Dave

Jan 3, 2009, 10:05:05 PM1/3/09

That's all well and good, but I remember hearing the IDs and the
"see-you-dad" pronunciation by Mr. Kallinan was quite unmistakable. How
come you never listened?

David Eduardo

Jan 3, 2009, 11:02:18 PM1/3/09

"msg" <msg@_cybertheque.org_> wrote in message

> David Eduardo wrote:
>

>> "Monty Hall" <HallM...@Hall.com> wrote in message

>>> The only coverage that counts is in their home markets.
>>>
>>> DX listeners don't count in the business model.
>>

>> They never have since the early 50's.
>>

> What is your understanding of the market coverage for clear channel WCCO
> 830
> during the 1960s and into the mid 1980s? During all of that time, as a
> listener,
> I heard them advertising to a Minnesota state-wide and upper midwest area
> market
> during the day and national spots were common at night.

The daytime coverage is groundwave, not DX.

That a spot be for a national client does not mean it is intended to be
heard nationally on a single station. In fact, on a CBS affiliate like WCCO,
the dead night commercial time was often used to run the network spots that
they had to clear as part of the affiliation agreement. Paid national spots,
with few exceptions, have not been the rule at night on AM's since TV took
over most of the night audience.

< They even promoted their
> clear channel status and nationwide focus on each ID. Programming was
> always
> wide-area oriented and rarely was restricted to the Mpls/St.Paul metro.
> Everyone
> over the entire state regarded it as a cherished voice of a people and
> region,
> and the station widely promoted that image with various state-wide awards,
> outreach programs, frequent remotes, etc.

Again, not DX but normal, groundwave coverage. And, as I said, as each
community got more AMs and new FMs in the 60's, 70's and 80's, the need to
listen to a distant AM was reduced to near nothing.

Today, KTLK FM with a news talk format on FM has more under-55 listeners in
the Mppls. metro than WCCO. In Mamkato, St. Cloud and Rochester, wehre WCCO
used to have double digit shares, it is now not even in the top 15 in the
under-55 age group.... and that listening, such as it is, is almost all
daytime listening, too.

< Its changes in recent decades are
> still lamented by older listeners, and I would appreciate knowing if any
> other clear channels were held in the high regard, as an institution, that
> was WCCO.

Nearly all are or were... WSB, WBZ, KDKA, WTAM, KMOX, KOA, KFI, WBAP, WOAI,
WGN, etc., were enormously influential in the era when for many miles around
there were scant few stations. Today, AM is irrelevant for younger
listeners and there has been such an increase in stations that the need to
listen to distant AMs is fairly limited.

David Eduardo

Jan 3, 2009, 11:04:31 PM1/3/09

"Dave" <da...@dave.dave> wrote in message

I did not find the station particularly amusing or entertaining after first
discovering it in about 1958. By the early 60's, I was more interested in
stations like XEB and HJED, which I taped nightly to listen to the next day.
Far better music than the stuff on XERF.

Telamon

Jan 4, 2009, 12:04:26 AM1/4/09
In article <ixW7l.12284$yr3....@nlpi068.nbdc.sbc.com>,
"David Eduardo" <da...@davideduardo.com> wrote:

< SNIP >

> > Its changes in recent decades are still lamented by older
> > listeners, and I would appreciate knowing if any other clear
> > channels were held in the high regard, as an institution, that was
> > WCCO.
>
> Nearly all are or were... WSB, WBZ, KDKA, WTAM, KMOX, KOA, KFI, WBAP,
> WOAI, WGN, etc., were enormously influential in the era when for many
> miles around there were scant few stations. Today, AM is irrelevant
> for younger listeners and there has been such an increase in stations
> that the need to listen to distant AMs is fairly limited.

I still do it. I listen to distant stations to hear programs that do
not air on local stations. I listen to KOGO almost every day or night.
Night time I listen to Bay area stations and KOH in Nevada on a regular
basis. For a while KABC was broadcasting that IBOC crap at night making
KOH unlistenable. Thankfully that stopped but I still can't listen to
them around sunset until that IBOC crap gets turned off for the night by
KABC.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Dave

Jan 4, 2009, 9:06:40 AM1/4/09

How abnormal.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

RHF

Jan 4, 2009, 12:46:22 PM1/4/09
On Jan 3, 8:02 pm, "David Eduardo" <da...@davideduardo.com> wrote:
> "msg" <msg@_cybertheque.org_> wrote in message

> > David Eduardo wrote:
>
> >> "Monty Hall" <HallMoni...@Hall.com> wrote in message

- Nearly all are or were... WSB, WBZ, KDKA, WTAM,
- KMOX, KOA, KFI, WBAP, WOAI, WGN, etc., were
- enormously influential in the era when for many miles
- around there were scant few stations.  Today, AM is
- irrelevant for younger listeners and there has been
- such an increase in stations that the need to listen
- to distant AMs is fairly limited.

Things Have "Changed" in Radio Over the Last 50 Years :
# 1 FM Radio "IS" Now 'Local' Everywhere across the
Nation both Urban, Sub-Urban and Rural.
# 2 Plus the Vast Majority of Public, Educational and
Religious Broadcasting is on FM Radio.
# 3a The Number of FM Radio Stations is Much Greater
that AM Radio Stations.
# 3b The Number of FM Radio Listeners is Much Greater
that AM Radio Stations and they are Younger.
# 3c Most Importantly the Combined Revenues of FM
Radio Stations is Much Greater that AM Radio Stations.
Conclusion : AM Radio is no longer King-of-the-Air-Waves

FCC Data : AM and FM Broadcast Radio Station Totals

From a Year 1968 'base' of AM & FM Radio Stations
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/totals/pdf/19681231.pdf
AM Radio Stations : 4236 = 65%
FM Radio Stations : 1944 = 30%
EDU FM Radio Stations : 362 = 5%
Total Radio Stations : 6542 = 100%

Basically - Two-out-of-Three US Radio Stations
were AM back then.

Here is the latest FCC Data for AM and FM Broadcast
Radio Station Totals Licensed as of 30 June 2008 :
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/totals/bt080630.html
Total AM Radio Stations = 4,778 ~ 34%
Total FM Radio Stations = 6,382 ~ 45%
Total FM {Educational} PBS/NPR Radio Stations = 2,964 ~ 21%
[ Total FM Radio Stations = 9346 ~ 66% ]

TODAY - Two-out-of-Three US Radio Stations
are 'Local' FM Radio Stations.

GRAND TOTAL FOR ALL RADIO STATIONS = 14,124

PLUS - The [Hidden] Numbers :
FM Radio Stations Translators and Boosters = 6095
Low Power FM Radio Stations = 851
Bring the True {Real} Total FM Radio Stations = 16,292
Then the AM Radio Station Total : 4778 ~ 29%

THE REALITY IS - That the True Number Is
Seven-out-of-Ten US Radio Stations are in-fact
'Local' FM Radio Stations.

Presently in the SF Bay Area there are about 80 FM
Radio Stations to Listen-To : While there are only
20 AM Radio Stations on the Air.

Back when I was a Kid in High School the 1960s
I and my friends listened to AM Radio.

Today's Kids in High School Listen to FM Radio; and
their Celfones iPods and MP3 Plays 'may' have an
FM Radio feature -but- No AM Radio at all. You play
your iPod through your FM Radio in a Car.

yes many things have changed in the radio business
over the last 50 Years ~ RHF
.

Message has been deleted

RHF

Jan 4, 2009, 12:52:00 PM1/4/09
On Jan 4, 9:47 am, Bob Dobbs <chupaca...@operamail.com> wrote:
> David Eduardo wrote:
>
> >"Monty Hall" <HallMoni...@Hall.com> wrote in message
- Your only experience with what counts depends on
- someone with extra time filling out a diary truthfully
- and having their circumstance being actually
- representative of a desirable demographic rather than
- the fantasy many of those people present as you do
- in this forum.
-
- --
-
- Operator Bob
- Echo Charlie 42

Do people over the age of 50 even get Diaries ?

To be counted ? ? ?

Or is that another sin of omission ? ? ?
.

David Eduardo

Jan 4, 2009, 1:40:55 PM1/4/09

> David Eduardo wrote:
>
> I'm talking about the 91.1 FM, and yes they did with a female voice.
> She would say in spanish - "X E R A F M Tijuana Baja California Mexico"
> If I had a time machine I could simply record it
> but an argumentative twit like you aren't worth the trouble.

I know many people who worked in the market at the time, and all say that
the station never skipped the "T" particularly in the Spanish ID, which is
an element closely supervised by the SCOP (now SCT). Mexico has had much
stricter ID requirements than the US for many years.

Perhaps your Spanish was not good enough to catch the rapid flow of letters?

David Eduardo

Jan 4, 2009, 1:43:34 PM1/4/09

> David Eduardo wrote:
>>
>>After TV "arrived," meaning the two to three years after the freeze was
>>lifted, radio at night was barely listened to. So skywave reception (or
>>DXX
>>reception) became of little use as there were few listeners and fewer
>>advertisers.
>
> That blatant lie
> just goes to illustrate what an uninformed jerk you are

Evening listening, by the end of the 1955, was down to about 1/4 of the
daytime radio listening levels. While there are no national figures, looking
at a variety of local market reports supports this conclusion.

Add in the explosion of new stations in the decade after W.W. II, there was
less reason to listen to non-local stations at any time, and little reason
to listen to them at night.

BoobleStubble

Jan 4, 2009, 1:44:10 PM1/4/09
> From a Year 1968 'base' of �AM & FM Radio Stationshttp://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/totals/pdf/19681231.pdf

"News/Talk/Sports: Radio's Last Bastion"

"Music FMs of any flavor are utterly screwed... Right now -- while FMs
are losing the music audience to new media -- satellite radio is
offering more News/Talk/Sports programming than we can fit on AM
radio."

http://ftp.media.radcity.net/ZMST/daily/IS031005.htm

David Eduardo

Jan 4, 2009, 1:50:22 PM1/4/09

> Your only experience with what counts depends on someone with extra time
> filling out a diary truthfully and having their circumstance being
> actually representative of a desirable demographic rather than the
> fantasy many of those people present as you do in this forum.

The mere size of the national ratings sample is adequate to reach a broad
conclusion that there is no measurable skywave listening, and that, in any
event, the listening to AM at night is much smaller than that in the
daytime, so even were skywave listenable, few people use it.

There are literally only a handful of stations today that produce a usable
skywave, listenable consistently night after night. Even many of the former
1-A clears have so much interference from new domestic stations and Latin
American station that the skywave is useless. An example is KFI, which is
not usually listenable in its skywave area because two Mexican stations in
the state of Chihuahua interfere so badly as to make it very unpleasant
until the XE's sign off late in the evening.

The ratings in the US, Arbitron since 1965, are accurate enough for
advertisers to use the data for over $15 billion in radio buys.

David Eduardo

Jan 4, 2009, 1:52:28 PM1/4/09

"RHF" <rhf-new...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

Every age group, every ethnicity, each gender, and each geographic subset in
a market (usually counties) is sampled in a form proportional to their
presence in the market.

<To be counted ? ? ?

Always have been. 55-64 and 65+ are two of the Arbitron demos.

<Or is that another sin of omission ? ? ?

Nope. Only in your mind.
.

David Eduardo

Jan 4, 2009, 1:56:18 PM1/4/09

"BoobleStubble" <ibiqu...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

FM listening is relatively stable over the last 25 years, while AM is off by
30%.

Satellite had a net loss of subscribers last year, with a horrible Christmas
season and low sales of new cars with pre-installs sealing that coffin. XM
Sirius has no cash and nearly a half-billion in debt due in April.

PocketRadio

Jan 4, 2009, 3:32:01 PM1/4/09
On Jan 4, 1:56�pm, "David Eduardo" <da...@davideduardo.com> wrote:
> "BoobleStubble" <ibiquity...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Right! TSL is way down for all of radio. So goes HD Radio:

"2 and 2 Count on HD Radio"

"Has the financial crisis given HD Radio its second strike in a few
months? Let us explain. The first strike for HD Radio was definitely
the financial market collapse... The second strike is clearly the
collapse of the auto market... Since we are making baseball analogies,
we would like to issue two foul balls attributed directly to HD
Radio... The first foul ball is for iBiquity releasing an HD Radio
solution which broadcasts at too low a power... The second foul ball
has to be issued for HD Radio's lackadaisical programming efforts to
date... Thus, HD Radio is sitting on a 2-2 count. The two strikes
against it are not really its fault, but the two foul balls on
meatball pitches are inexcusable."

http://tinyurl.com/5cvgtz

Mark Ramsey states that within 5 years, FMs will have switched to news/
talk/sports.

dxAce

Jan 4, 2009, 3:34:54 PM1/4/09

David Eduardo wrote:

Only in your mind.

Hmmmm, kinda like those radio stations you claimed to have "owned"!

And, like the amateur radio license you claimed to have "had"!

PocketRadio

Jan 4, 2009, 3:39:32 PM1/4/09
On Jan 4, 1:56�pm, "David Eduardo" <da...@davideduardo.com> wrote:
> "BoobleStubble" <ibiquity...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

"Radio TSL drops again"

In Arbitron data just crunched by Public Radio's Radio Research
Consortium, some nice trends for Public Radio were noted through
Spring - not surprising considering the interest in political news
over the past year.

Specifically, CPB-Stations (P12+, Mon-Sun 6a-12m) have recovered to a
5.2% share - an all-time high AQH share percentage.

Thanks to more recent newsworthy events, I would expect this share to
rise again this Fall.

This news was tempered by a broader review of radio listening trends
overall. Says the report:
In 2008, 92.5% of the population tuned in radio in an average week,
down from 92.6% last year. The time spent listening to radio by this
cume, on average, was just under 18 hours per week, roughly 45 minutes
less than a year ago.

So while the proportion of the population tuning in radio is
relatively steady, the time they spend listening is off by 45 minutes
in just one year.

How this trend has been influenced by what I presume are mixed PPM/
diary data is not clear to me. Nor is it clear what the effect is of
listening to station streams which are very poorly recorded in diaries
and - where they are recorded - often count against the host station
in ratings since the spots don't match exactly.

Here's the RRC chart showing declines in AQH Rating for radio overall
since 1980. Note that this Spring marks a new low. This is not for
PUBLIC radio, it's for ALL radio.

So it's clear, I don't publish this to be "negative." I do so to be
practical.

Unless we develop strategies that deal with the world as it is rather
than as we wish it to be, we will never be effective in addressing the
threats and opportunities which face us.

http://www.hear2.com/2008/11/radio-tsl-drops-again.html

"So while the proportion of the population tuning in radio is
relatively steady, the time they spend listening is off by 45 minutes
in just one year."

Eduardo - EVERYONE is sick of your constant lies!

Brenda Ann

Jan 4, 2009, 3:40:50 PM1/4/09

"Bob Dobbs" <chupa...@operamail.com> wrote in message
> David Eduardo wrote:
>>
>>After TV "arrived," meaning the two to three years after the freeze was
>>lifted, radio at night was barely listened to. So skywave reception (or
>>DXX
>>reception) became of little use as there were few listeners and fewer
>>advertisers.
>
> That blatant lie
> just goes to illustrate what an uninformed jerk you are
>
> --
>
> Operator Bob
> Echo Charlie 42

It took a lot longer than two or three years for television to penetrate..
most people couldn't begin to afford a set. I think the first TV we had was
in 1962. Mind you, not all were as poor as we were, but almost nobody I knew
when I was very young had a television. It was still several months' pay to
buy one new, and most of the "older" sets were still in use by their
original owners because they were a heavy investment.

Message has been deleted

Count Floyd

Jan 4, 2009, 4:49:12 PM1/4/09
On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 20:40:50 UTC, "Brenda Ann" <bre...@shinbiro.com>
wrote:

My Grandfather bought an RCA B&W set in 1951, huge cabinet, front
closing/opening doors, I think it was around 20". It lasted until he
wanted a color set, so bought a GE 21" round tube model in 1959 just
so he could watch "Bonanza" in living color, and of course football
games!

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

RHF

Jan 4, 2009, 5:49:32 PM1/4/09
On Jan 4, 12:40 pm, "Brenda Ann" <bren...@shinbiro.com> wrote:
> "Bob Dobbs" <chupaca...@operamail.com> wrote in message

My Family got our Fist B&W TV about 1955 -or- 1956
and watching the "Medic" staring Richard Boone who
was later casted as Paladin in "Have Gun will Travel" 1957.

On Saturday Nights there was "Your Hit Parade" along
http://www.clevelandseniors.com/people/amykhitparade.htm
with "The Lawrence Welk Show" and later followed by
"Sing Along with Mitch"

On Sunday Nights the mandatory Family Viewing was
"The Ed Sullivan Show"

The whole family sat around the TV "Watching" : Watching
the TV in the Evenings had replace 'listening' to the Radio.
But not after Midnight cause the TV Stations went Off-the-Air
at that time. IMHO more Americans heard the Star Spangled
Banner daily during those years due to the Nightly TV Sign
Off then any time before or after. Then came the Night-Owl
Theater . . . followed by All Night TV and Radio Listening
for the vast majority of Americans was dying and dead.

Before That - We had a Big AM and Shortwave Radio Console
sitting where the TV stood and now it was in the Corner and
Un-Used; and with-in a few years that Console Radio was
in my Bed Room where i listen to it way into the night and
early morning. Plus there was the 'Kitchen AM {Only}
Radio which was 'silent' during Dinner -but- Always On
during Breakfast in the Mornings. Strangely with TV came
the TV-Tray and the bad habit of Eating while you watch TV.

We still had only and AM {Only} Radio in the Kitchen
until the late 1960s when the old RCA Tube Radio Died.
Then it was replace by a Transistorized AM & FM
"Stereo" Radio. But by then the Old B&W TV was also
in my Bedroom and a New Color TV was in the Front
Room.

the Kitchen; and a 19 Color TV in every Bedroom.

Cable TV hook-up also came in the late 1970s; until
then everything on TV came Over-the-Air from three
Antennas and a distribution amp.
* The lower Antenna pointed at West at San Francisco;
* The middle Antenna pointed South at San Jose
* The Top Antenna pointed Nor-East at Walnut Grove {SAC}

Question : Does anyone under the Age of 21
know what "B&W" stands for today ?
-hint- Black-and-White [B&W] TV cause for many
years TV was only in Black and White and Color
TV was still a work-in-progress . . .

ah those were the years . . . when radio listening
was transformer into tv watching ~ RHF
.
.

David Eduardo

Jan 4, 2009, 7:32:04 PM1/4/09

"PocketRadio" <sidwell...@aol.com> wrote in message

On Jan 4, 1:56�pm, "David Eduardo" <da...@davideduardo.com> wrote:
> "BoobleStubble" <ibiquity...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> On Jan 4, 12:46 pm, RHF <rhf-newsgro...@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
> <"Music FMs of any flavor are utterly screwed... Right now -- while FMs
> <are losing the music audience to new media -- satellite radio is
> <offering more News/Talk/Sports programming than we can fit on AM
> <radio."
>
> FM listening is relatively stable over the last 25 years, while AM is off
> by
> 30%.
>
> Satellite had a net loss of subscribers last year, with a horrible
> Christmas
> season and low sales of new cars with pre-installs sealing that coffin. XM
> Sirius has no cash and nearly a half-billion in debt due in April.

<Right! TSL is way down for all of radio. So goes HD Radio:

TSL for FM is down slightly... for AM it is off about 30% over the last 20
years.
.

David Eduardo

Jan 4, 2009, 7:33:02 PM1/4/09

"dxAce" <dx...@milestones.com> wrote in message

Both of which are true, making all of your statements false. Why don't you
go count your rounds of ammo?

David Eduardo

Jan 4, 2009, 7:38:01 PM1/4/09

"Brenda Ann" <bre...@shinbiro.com> wrote in message

TV started right after W.W. II, and they fury to get licenses was so great
the FCC stopped granting them for nearly 3 years during the "Freeze" so they
could revise the allocation system. Still, there were nearly 200 stations on
the air and when the freeze lifted, several hundred more were granted, and
got on very quickly. By 1955, the time I indicated, TV had over 60%
penetration, a figure which was even higher in the large metros where there
might be as many as 7 stations on the air.

Data from Radio Daily's "Radio Annual" editions through the 50's.

David Eduardo

Jan 4, 2009, 7:39:39 PM1/4/09

>> Even though we had a somewhat novel device in the TV, I still listened
> to the radio for XERF Del Rio TX and the Randy's record shop adds.

The FCC and the SCOP would have been amused to know that XERF was in Texas.

David Eduardo

Jan 4, 2009, 7:42:24 PM1/4/09

> David Eduardo wrote:
>>
>>The ratings in the US, Arbitron since 1965, are accurate enough for
>>advertisers to use the data for over $15 billion in radio buys.
>
> Because accuracy is an intangible concept
> that they'd rather not admit to lacking.

We know with great precision the margin of error of any random proability
survey. The accuracy of radio ratings is perfectly adequate for advertisers
to make decisions and investments, and for stations to evaluate programming.

> If there's any doubt why the quality of radio has suffered it's because
> some gullible PDs bought into the myth of what some numbers salesman was
> peddling as popular. I remember when station personnel would go to the
> parking lot at a local supermarket, peek into car windows and see where
> the dial was, Of course that's no longer possible.

Program Directors don't subscribe to ratings... station owners and managers
do, as ratings are 95% a sales tool. In rated markets, stations do
proprietary research to evaluate programming issues.

Dave

Jan 4, 2009, 7:49:25 PM1/4/09
Bob Dobbs wrote:
> David Eduardo wrote:
>> "Monty Hall" <HallM...@Hall.com> wrote in message
>>> The only coverage that counts is in their home markets.
>>>
>>> DX listeners don't count in the business model.
>> They never have since the early 50's.
>
> Your only experience with what counts depends on someone with extra time
> filling out a diary truthfully and having their circumstance being
> actually representative of a desirable demographic rather than the
> fantasy many of those people present as you do in this forum.

So KFI's reputation as a powerful station with listeners afar doesn't
help its local ratings?

David Eduardo

Jan 4, 2009, 7:52:28 PM1/4/09

"Dave" <da...@dave.dave> wrote in message

I don't see how it would. People listen if they like it, not because someone
200 miles away can hear it (which with the two Mexicans on, they can't)

flashdrive

Jan 4, 2009, 7:54:24 PM1/4/09
Brenda Ann wrote:

The first color sets were the equivalent to a years pay for many.

Dave

Jan 4, 2009, 7:56:19 PM1/4/09
David Eduardo wrote:

> Evening listening, by the end of the 1955, was down to about 1/4 of the
> daytime radio listening levels. While there are no national figures,
> looking at a variety of local market reports supports this conclusion.
>
> Add in the explosion of new stations in the decade after W.W. II, there
> was less reason to listen to non-local stations at any time, and little
> reason to listen to them at night.

That's nuts. Everybody routinely listened to whatever came in on their
radios at night, regardless of origin.

Light dimmers, band-splitting, coarse digital tuners, and 4 kHz
ceramic filters destroyed AM.

Don't you think it odd that you and your ilk whined for more stations
back in the '70s, and now that you have them, you whine 'cause nobody
can make any money?

Dave

Jan 4, 2009, 7:58:19 PM1/4/09
They will declare bankruptcy and reorganize lean and mean. They are not
going anywhere but up.

Dave

Jan 4, 2009, 8:10:29 PM1/4/09
RHF wrote:

> know what "B&W" stands for today ?

Monochrome?

Dave

Jan 4, 2009, 8:19:09 PM1/4/09

Stans' Record Shop

728 Texas Street

Shreveport Louisiana, Baby.

Remember it like it was yesterday,

http://www.recordsbymail.com/stan_lewis.php

David Eduardo

Jan 4, 2009, 8:29:48 PM1/4/09

> David Eduardo wrote:
>>

>> Evening listening, by the end of the 1955, was down to about 1/4 of the
>> daytime radio listening levels. While there are no national figures,
>> looking at a variety of local market reports supports this conclusion.
>>
>> Add in the explosion of new stations in the decade after W.W. II, there
>> was less reason to listen to non-local stations at any time, and little
>> reason to listen to them at night.
>
> That's nuts. Everybody routinely listened to whatever came in on their
> radios at night, regardless of origin.

No, they did not. When Top 40 began in 1952, it helped move most radio
listening to local radio stations. TV simply killed night listening to radio
over a period of only a few years.

> Light dimmers, band-splitting, coarse digital tuners, and 4 kHz ceramic
> filters destroyed AM.

No, FM did, once the FCC mandated the end to simulcasting in most cities in
1967.

> Don't you think it odd that you and your ilk whined for more stations back
> in the '70s, and now that you have them, you whine 'cause nobody can make
> any money?

Nobody whined for more stations in the 70's. In fact, the number of viable
stations in each market virtually tripled in the 70's as all the full signal
FMs became competitive. That was disruptive enough to AM and the industry.
Docket 80-90 came at the very end of the 80's, and was a result of the FCC
not people wanting more stations... it was the direct outcome of the Bonita
Springs decision redefining major changes.

David Eduardo

Jan 4, 2009, 8:31:22 PM1/4/09

"Dave" <da...@dave.dave> wrote in message

They lost a collective $12 billion since launching, and are, even merged,
not profitable. With the auto industry in crisis, they may not survive or
will be sold to a media company... although few would want to take on the
operating losses.

RHF

Jan 4, 2009, 8:34:51 PM1/4/09
On Jan 4, 4:52 pm, "David Eduardo" <da...@davideduardo.com> wrote:
> "Dave" <d...@dave.dave> wrote in message

> > Bob Dobbs wrote:

> >> Your only experience with what counts depends on someone with extra time
> >> filling out a diary truthfully and having their circumstance being
> >> actually representative of a desirable demographic rather than the
> >> fantasy many of those people present as you do in this forum.

- - So KFI's reputation as a powerful station with
- - listeners afar doesn't help its local ratings?

- I don't see how it would.
- People listen if they like it, not because someone
- 200 miles away can hear it (which with the two
- Mexicans on, they can't)

In The USA "Free" Over-the-Air Radio Is A 'Local' Commodity

? Does someone 750 Miles away : Drive all the way
to the LA Metro Area to buy a Car from the local
Hollywood Chevy Dealer - NO !

For the AM and FM and now "HD" Radio Broadcaster
in 2000s the Signal Follows the Revenue and that
Revenue is 'Local'. Or part of a National Buy that is
distributed on a 'Local' Basis via 'Local' Radio Stations.

in the usa radio is a 'local' commodity - idtars ~ RHF
.

RHF

Jan 4, 2009, 8:45:12 PM1/4/09
On Jan 4, 4:54 pm, flashdrive <flashdr...@bluesky.net> wrote:
> Brenda Ann wrote:
> > "Bob Dobbs" <chupaca...@operamail.com> wrote in message

- The first color sets were the equivalent to a years pay for many.

Maybe One Months Pay or 2~3 Months Pay at most
-but- Not a Whole Years Pay in the early 1960s.

IIRC - I paid cash for my parents 2nd Color TV for
a Christmas present; and a HeathKit Color TV Kit
to build for myself in the Mid-1960s the first year
I was out of High School. ~ RHF
.

RHF

Jan 4, 2009, 8:47:32 PM1/4/09
On Jan 4, 5:10 pm, Dave <d...@dave.dave> wrote:
- - RHF wrote:
- - know what "B&W" stands for today ?
-
- Monochrome?

Dave "U" Ain't under the age of 21 Years.

RHF

Jan 4, 2009, 8:52:58 PM1/4/09
On Jan 4, 2:05 pm, Bob Dobbs <chupaca...@operamail.com> wrote:

> Count Floyd wrote:
> >My Grandfather bought an RCA B&W set in 1951, huge cabinet, front
> >closing/opening doors, I think it was around 20".  It lasted until he
> >wanted a color set, so bought a GE 21" round tube model in 1959 just
> >so he could watch "Bonanza" in living color, and of course football
> >games!

- Back then you could get a plastic overlay that was static attached
- the screen with blue up in the sky region, green down in the grass
- region, and a reddish tint where the cowboys faces usually were.

-
- --
-
- Operator Bob
- Echo Charlie 42

-aka- Genuine "Colored" TV for only $29.95 ::-}}
.

elaich

Jan 4, 2009, 8:58:20 PM1/4/09

> I don't see how it would. People listen if they like it, not because
> someone 200 miles away can hear it (which with the two Mexicans on,
> they can't)

Well, I'm 600 miles away and I don't have any trouble hearing it. I'd
actually like to hear the Mexicans for a change.

Why don't you try listening to KNBR and KGO some evenings, and listen to
them get callers from all over the Western US? You take a local scenario,
which is the situation of KFI probably within a 100 mile radius of LA, and
try to apply it across the board.

David Eduardo

Jan 4, 2009, 9:05:01 PM1/4/09

"elaich" <x@y.z> wrote in message news:6sd7prF...@mid.individual.net...

No, I checked KFI in early evening (post sunset and prior to the CST sign
offs of the Cd. Juárez and Parral stations) in locations from the Palm
Springs area to Phoenix to Prescott, AZ, in the last two weeks, and while
the Mexican stations are on, listening to KFI is unpleasant to unbearable.

The fact that KGO and KNBR get calls means nothing more than that they have
a few dozen listeners outside their groundwave coverage areas. They
certainly don't have enough to show up in the ratings anywhere else.

RHF

Jan 4, 2009, 9:36:49 PM1/4/09
On Jan 4, 6:05 pm, "David Eduardo" <da...@davideduardo.com> wrote:
> "elaich" <x...@y.z> wrote in messagenews:6sd7prF...@mid.individual.net...

> > "David Eduardo" <da...@davideduardo.com> wrote in
>
> >> I don't see how it would. People listen if they like it, not because
> >> someone 200 miles away can hear it (which with the two Mexicans on,
> >> they can't)
>
> > Well, I'm 600 miles away and I don't have any trouble hearing it. I'd
> > actually like to hear the Mexicans for a change.
>
> > Why don't you try listening to KNBR and KGO some evenings, and listen to
> > them get callers from all over the Western US? You take a local scenario,
> > which is the situation of KFI probably within a 100 mile radius of LA, and
> > try to apply it across the board.
>
> No, I checked KFI in early evening (post sunset and prior to the CST sign
> offs of the Cd. Juárez and Parral stations) in locations from the Palm
> Springs area to Phoenix to Prescott, AZ, in the last two weeks, and while
> the Mexican stations are on, listening to KFI is unpleasant to unbearable.

- The fact that KGO and KNBR get calls means
- nothing more than that they have a few dozen
- listeners outside their groundwave coverage areas.
- They certainly don't have enough to show up
- in the ratings anywhere else.

d'Eduardo,

Those would be Persistent AM Radio Listeners :
Who Persistently Call-In To Hear Themselves Talk.

Seams Like There Are Real Numbers Out There :
To Be Counted and Be Sold to the Right Advertisers.

~ RHF
.

Telamon

Jan 4, 2009, 9:42:18 PM1/4/09
In article <kVd8l.12353$yr3....@nlpi068.nbdc.sbc.com>,
"David Eduardo" <da...@davideduardo.com> wrote:

How else am I going to listen to Dr. Bill Wattenburg but tune in KGO?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

David Eduardo

Jan 4, 2009, 10:17:12 PM1/4/09

"Telamon" <telamon_s...@pacbell.net.is.invalid> wrote in message

> How else am I going to listen to Dr. Bill Wattenburg but tune in KGO?

There's this newfangled device called a computer....

,-)

Seriously, KGO even has podcasts of most shows, as well as the stream.

Telamon

Jan 4, 2009, 10:24:23 PM1/4/09
In article <0Ze8l.8192$hc1....@flpi150.ffdc.sbc.com>,
"David Eduardo" <da...@davideduardo.com> wrote:

It is my preference to listen using the radio. I already spend enough
time listening/watching news web casts.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Bob Campbell

Jan 4, 2009, 10:25:13 PM1/4/09

> The fact that KGO and KNBR get calls means nothing more than that they
> have a few dozen listeners outside their groundwave coverage areas. They
> certainly don't have enough to show up in the ratings anywhere else.

Both also stream their broadcasts on the net, as do most stations these
days. KGO is even in iTunes. Callers can come from anywhere in the
world.

m II

Jan 4, 2009, 10:30:37 PM1/4/09
Bob Dobbs wrote:

> Back then you could get a plastic overlay that was static attached to

> the screen with blue up in the sky region, green down in the grass

> region, and a reddish tint where the cowboys faces usually were.

The Live Sea Monkeys (see them frolic) and X-Ray Vision Glasses were a
lot cheaper.

mike

Dave

Jan 4, 2009, 10:31:05 PM1/4/09

One would think that would be less of an issue as one went further away
from Mexico.

People like adopting winners.

It is loading more messages.