Antenna Switches - What's In Your Radio Shack ?

RHF

Aug 28, 2007, 9:23:12 PM8/28/07
FM,
.
Antenna Switches - What's In Your Radio Shack ?
.
I have used the Two and Four Position Alpha Delta Antenna
Switches for years and they have been trouble free.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/switch/2415.html
.
I also like the Alpha Delta's because all the connections
are on one side (back) and you do not have to deal with
the Coax Cable running out the front and routing it around.
.
As a Shortwave Radio Listener (SWL) I have my Antenna Switches
right on the Deck Top next to the Radios and Easy-to-Reach.
.
More Antenna Switches to consider . . .
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/switch.html
.
.
hope this helps - iane ~ RHF
.
.
- - - In Shortwave-...@yahoogroups.com,
- - - "frankiemills41" <frankiemills41@...> wrote:
-
- I was wondering if anyone had trouble with antenna swiches
- like I have been having.Iv'e bought those daiwa ones and mfj
- ones too and after a few years they are shorting out.
- would it hurt to maybe use rotary swiches for this?
- after all they use these in my tuner I could build a rig
- like this in a aluminum box for sheilding and it's only for
- recieving only
- Fran Miller SWL since 1956
-
.
.
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antennas Group => http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
The SWL Antenna Discussion Group => http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna HELP => http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna NEWS => http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna INFO => http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
* * * All Are Welcome : Including ELMERS and 'Want-to-be-Elmers'
plus plain old "Mister-Know-It-Alls"; and even those Newbees with
"I Know This Is A Really Dumb Question - But _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ "
.
The Shortwave Listener's Blessing :
SWL BLESSING => http://tinyurl.com/s2bjm
May You Never Tire of Listening to the Radio and Always
have Strong Signals and Noise Free Reception ~ RHF {ibid}
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/9233
.
Tous Sont Bienvenus ! - - - Groupe par Radio
d'auditeur d'onde courte pour des Antennes de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Alle Sind Willkommen ! - - - Shortwave Radiozuhörer
Gruppe für SWL Antennen
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Tutti Sono Benvenuti ! - - - Gruppo Radiofonico
dell'ascoltatore di onda corta per le Antenne di SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Todos São Bem-vindos ! - - - Grupo de Rádio
do ouvinte do Shortwave para Antenas de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
¡Todos Son Agradables! - - - Grupo de Radio del oyente
de la onda corta para las Antenas de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
= = = = Plain Old American-English Translation = = = =
All are Welcome - - - To Join the Shortwave Listeners
(SWL) Antenna Group on YAHOO !
.

/ \
.......!.......

Steve

Aug 29, 2007, 7:22:45 AM8/29/07
On Aug 28, 9:23 pm, RHF <rhf-newsgro...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> FM,
> .

> .
> I have used the Two and Four Position Alpha Delta Antenna
> Switches for years and they have been trouble free.http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/switch/2415.html

> .
> I also like the Alpha Delta's because all the connections
> are on one side (back) and you do not have to deal with
> the Coax Cable running out the front and routing it around.
> .
> As a Shortwave Radio Listener (SWL) I have my Antenna Switches
> right on the Deck Top next to the Radios and Easy-to-Reach.
> .
> More Antenna Switches to consider . . .http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/switch.html

> .
> .
> hope this helps - iane ~ RHF
> .
> .
> - - - In Shortwave-SWL-Ante...@yahoogroups.com,

> .
> Alle Sind Willkommen ! - - - Shortwave Radiozuhörer
> Gruppe für SWL Antennenhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/

> .
> Tutti Sono Benvenuti ! - - - Gruppo Radiofonico
> dell'ascoltatore di onda corta per le Antenne di SWLhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/

> .
> Todos São Bem-vindos ! - - - Grupo de Rádio
> do ouvinte do Shortwave para Antenas de SWLhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/

> .
> ¡Todos Son Agradables! - - - Grupo de Radio del oyente
> de la onda corta para las Antenas de SWLhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/

> .
> = = = = Plain Old American-English Translation = = = =
> All are Welcome - - - To Join the Shortwave Listeners
> (SWL) Antenna Group on YAHOO !http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
> .
> |

> / \
> .......!.......

I use a switch made by Diamond: http://www.rffun.com/catalog/switch/1636.html.

I like it. Very, very sturdy.

Roadie

Aug 29, 2007, 8:28:55 AM8/29/07
On Aug 28, 9:23 pm, RHF <rhf-newsgro...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> FM,
> .

> .
> I have used the Two and Four Position Alpha Delta Antenna
> Switches for years and they have been trouble free.http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/switch/2415.html

> .
> I also like the Alpha Delta's because all the connections
> are on one side (back) and you do not have to deal with
> the Coax Cable running out the front and routing it around.
> .
> As a Shortwave Radio Listener (SWL) I have my Antenna Switches
> right on the Deck Top next to the Radios and Easy-to-Reach.
> .
> More Antenna Switches to consider . . .http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/switch.html

> .
> .
> hope this helps - iane ~ RHF
> .
> .
> - - - In Shortwave-SWL-Ante...@yahoogroups.com,

> .
> Alle Sind Willkommen ! - - - Shortwave Radiozuhörer
> Gruppe für SWL Antennenhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/

> .
> Tutti Sono Benvenuti ! - - - Gruppo Radiofonico
> dell'ascoltatore di onda corta per le Antenne di SWLhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/

> .
> Todos São Bem-vindos ! - - - Grupo de Rádio
> do ouvinte do Shortwave para Antenas de SWLhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/

> .
> ¡Todos Son Agradables! - - - Grupo de Radio del oyente
> de la onda corta para las Antenas de SWLhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/

> .
> = = = = Plain Old American-English Translation = = = =
> All are Welcome - - - To Join the Shortwave Listeners
> (SWL) Antenna Group on YAHOO !http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
> .
> |

> / \
> .......!.......

I use the built-in switch on the R-5000. Two is plenty.

BDK

Aug 29, 2007, 5:13:42 PM8/29/07
In article <1188390535....@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
hjs...@cs.com says...

I have 5 receivers now and a bunch of Daiwa switches to let me put any
radio on any antenna. There are six antennas:

A Discone (Backup in case my better antennas have problems)
A Windom Dipole outside.
An Alpha Delta Short sloper outside. (It's old and is being replaced
soon with a Slinky)
A Longwire in the attic above the radio room (pretty short)
A really big dipole that is zigzagged from one end of the house to
another.
A home brewed active antenna in the attic above the garage. Better than
most of the actives I've had, but still kind of noisy.

BDK

RHF

Aug 29, 2007, 5:55:02 PM8/29/07
> I use the built-in switch on the R-5000. Two is plenty.- Hide quoted text -

Roadie - That requires you to have 1 Antenna using
Coax Cable and 1 Antenna using Ladder-Line ~ RHF
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/commrxvr/r5000io.jpg
.
.
. .

how...@hisisp.com

Aug 30, 2007, 3:11:17 AM8/30/07
On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 18:23:12 -0700, RHF <rhf-new...@pacbell.net>
wrote:

>FM,
> .
>Antenna Switches - What's In Your Radio Shack ?
> .
>I have used the Two and Four Position Alpha Delta Antenna
>Switches for years and they have been trouble free.
>http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/switch/2415.html
> .
>I also like the Alpha Delta's because all the connections
>are on one side (back) and you do not have to deal with
>the Coax Cable running out the front and routing it around.
> .
>As a Shortwave Radio Listener (SWL) I have my Antenna Switches
>right on the Deck Top next to the Radios and Easy-to-Reach.
> .
>More Antenna Switches to consider . . .
>http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/switch.html
> .
> .
>hope this helps - iane ~ RHF

Well, I use RG-6 cable for my antennas (2) and use a Ratshack switch -
pushbutton, not as fancy or expensive as the AD or Diamond but it
works and is economical.

dxAce

Aug 30, 2007, 4:50:17 AM8/30/07

RHF wrote:

> FM,
> .
> Antenna Switches - What's In Your Radio Shack ?

I have an MFJ-1702 two position switch and an B & W 375 6 position switch.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Roadie

Aug 30, 2007, 11:38:04 AM8/30/07

Please reread your question. You asked what switches are in your
shack. The R-5000 has a built-in antenna switch. What could be
clearer.

D Peter Maus

Aug 30, 2007, 3:33:22 PM8/30/07

How's that Eavesdropper working for you?

dxAce

Aug 30, 2007, 3:47:22 PM8/30/07

D Peter Maus wrote:

> How's that Eavesdropper working for you?

Not sure! I haven't completed the installation yet. It is in the air, and has
been for a while, but I've not completed the coax run yet.

I was thinking about doing it today, but I had a lot of stuff to take care of
yesterday and my back she no feel too good.

Perhaps tomorrow.

Ye ol' procrastinator,

dxAce
Michigan
USA

cuh...@webtv.net

Aug 30, 2007, 3:53:56 PM8/30/07
About a year ago, I saw a big fat roach crawl into one of them gay
wimmins next door to me beer can.I didn't say a thing.She drank that
roach right on down.
cuhulin

RHF

Aug 30, 2007, 4:05:07 PM8/30/07

- - I use the built-in switch on the R-5000
- - Two is plenty

- Please reread your question.

- You asked what switches are in your shack.
- The R-5000 has a built-in antenna switch.
- What could be clearer.

Roadie,

Yes any Receiver with a 'built-in' Antenna Switch
can make things simpler and clean-up the Deck Top.
- - - You will have a "Nice Looking" Radio Shack.
.
But 'cleaner' is not necessarily a better Radio Shack that
is Set-Up for both "Safe" Operations and Non-Use Periods.
.
Using an External Antenna Switch using a Short 3-5 Foot
of Coax Cable "Jumper" between the Switch and the
Receiver; allows for easier Removal of the Coax "Jumper"
from the Switch when you Disconnect the Coax : When
the Receiver is Not-in-Use -or- If the Antenna Switch has
a "Common" Not-Connect {Shorted} Postion like the
Alpha Delta Antenna Switches do :
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/switch/2415.html
Then It can Save the Time connecting and un-connecting
the Coax each time the Receiver is Used and Not-in-Use.
Plus the Alpha Delta Antenna Switches have a built-in
'surge protector' using a D-4 Arc-Plug Cartridge {GDT}.
.
.
i b switched - iane ~ RHF

Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antennas Group => http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf

.
.
. .

dxAce

Aug 30, 2007, 4:08:11 PM8/30/07

dxAce wrote:

> D Peter Maus wrote:
>
> > How's that Eavesdropper working for you?
>
> Not sure! I haven't completed the installation yet. It is in the air, and has
> been for a while, but I've not completed the coax run yet.
>
> I was thinking about doing it today, but I had a lot of stuff to take care of
> yesterday and my back she no feel too good.
>
> Perhaps tomorrow.

One thing I forgot to add was that my neighbour was up on a job in Rockford, MI
doing some heating and cooling work and he spied a nice aluminium flagpole that
was being thrown away due to some storm damage at the base of it.

We cut off the bad part, (about 1 foot) and it's still 22' long. Now if I sink it
2-3' into the ground in a suitable piece of pipe I'll have a nice free-standing
center support for the Eavesdropper.

More projects is just what I need!

dxAce
Michigan
USA

dxAce

Aug 30, 2007, 4:09:12 PM8/30/07

cuh...@webtv.net wrote:

They're better fried.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

D Peter Maus

Aug 30, 2007, 4:52:05 PM8/30/07

Would you really want a 22 foot metal center support? Although it may
be one of the world's most extravagant ground lugs...there is that whole
lightning thing.....

dxAce

Aug 30, 2007, 4:57:49 PM8/30/07

D Peter Maus wrote:

Sure, why not. My scanner antenna is on a metal mast a bit higher than that.

Not hit... Yet!

Message has been deleted

cuh...@webtv.net

Aug 30, 2007, 4:57:15 PM8/30/07
I am not too sure Mr.Maus understands about roaches and beer.
cuhulin

dxAce

Aug 30, 2007, 5:10:37 PM8/30/07

D Peter Maus wrote:

> Oh, well then, screw it. Mount it high and solid, and put a US ensign
> atop, with a flood for night time.

It'll be strictly for the antenna once I get going on that part of the project. But if I
finally decide I'm not happy with the Eavesdropper then I'll either come up with another
antenna project or just use it for a flagpole.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

D Peter Maus

Aug 30, 2007, 5:20:32 PM8/30/07

You'll have to post pictures when you get it up.

dxAce

Aug 30, 2007, 5:38:25 PM8/30/07

D Peter Maus wrote:

> You'll have to post pictures when you get it up.

Yeah, I was thinking about some photos this morning.

Burr

Aug 30, 2007, 6:55:26 PM8/30/07

"dxAce" >

> We cut off the bad part, (about 1 foot) and it's still 22' long. Now if I
> sink it
> 2-3' into the ground in a suitable piece of pipe I'll have a nice
> free-standing
> center support for the Eavesdropper.
>
> More projects is just what I need!
>
> dxAce
> Michigan
> USA

Be sure to put a "good" lightning ground unit on the lead!

Burr

cuh...@webtv.net

Aug 30, 2007, 7:54:04 PM8/30/07
About five plus tree months ago, Mary (she is married,,, I love married
wimmin) DuRose in Sydney,Australia, she said to me, she said,,,, some
people think Australian Cattle Dogs are ugly.(Mary is originally from
Kansas) y'all ought to see my little Blue Heeler Australian Cattle Dog
licking my face all over.If that isn't doggy love, I don't know what is.
cuhulin

Telamon

Sep 1, 2007, 1:29:11 PM9/1/07
In article <46D7324D...@milestones.com>,
dxAce <dx...@milestones.com> wrote:

You might want to consider using it as a vertical antenna. It would
complement your existing horizontal antennas.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

dxAce

Sep 1, 2007, 1:36:19 PM9/1/07

Telamon wrote:

I'd only consider using a vertical as a last resort. Been there, done that. They
receive equally poorly in all directions.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Telamon

Sep 1, 2007, 5:38:34 PM9/1/07
In article <46D9A313...@milestones.com>,
dxAce <dx...@milestones.com> wrote:

You might want to give it another shot. Antennas at different
orientations will work better at different times of the day/night.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

dxAce

Sep 1, 2007, 5:42:41 PM9/1/07

Telamon wrote:

Been there, done that. No thanks.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Steve

Sep 1, 2007, 5:57:12 PM9/1/07
On Sep 1, 5:42 pm, dxAce <dx...@milestones.com> wrote:
> Telamon wrote:
> > In article <46D9A313.D1858...@milestones.com>,

> > dxAce <dx...@milestones.com> wrote:

> USA- Hide quoted text -

Have you ever gone the loop route? If so, how did it work for you?

Steve

dxAce

Sep 1, 2007, 6:03:42 PM9/1/07

Steve wrote:

What kind of loop?

Steve

Sep 1, 2007, 6:14:13 PM9/1/07
> What kind of loop?- Hide quoted text -

I was picturing a big, horizontal 'skywire' type loop, since you've
got some space to work with.

dxAce

Sep 1, 2007, 6:19:10 PM9/1/07

Steve wrote:

No, the only loop I can recall using was a box loop AM broadcast antenna.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

RHF

Sep 2, 2007, 3:06:27 AM9/2/07

dxAce

Sep 2, 2007, 7:17:19 AM9/2/07

RHF wrote:

> > > Have you ever gone the loop route? If so, how did it work for you?
> >

> - What kind of loop?
>
> DX Ace,
>
> Did you ever use or consider the K9AY Loop Antenna ?
> http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/K9AYc.html
> http://www.dxing.info/equipment/k9ay.dx
> http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx/antenna/loop/k9ay/
> http://home.comcast.net/~markwa1ion/exaol1/k9ay_ant.htm
> .
> -or- The "Large Aperture Loop Antenna" ALA 100
> by Wellbrook (UK)
> http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/ALA100b.html
> http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/ALA100Ma.html
> http://www.beaconworld.org.uk/files/ALA100review.pdf