What's wrong with Radio Shack

DP

Aug 1, 2002, 12:09:51 PM8/1/02
This I believe is a Radio Shack Canada thing. Stores in the US still have a
good selection of that stuff.

DP

"Bammit" <bmatt...@attbi.com> wrote in message
> I believe all Radio Shacks are company owned but the way they merchandise
> allows regional managers some leeway in determining the inventory mix for
> his individual stores. So rather than Corporate saying that ALL Rat Shack
> stores must carry 2m radios etc, etc, they can eliminate items or lines
that
> don't move well for them.
> The store in my town sells absolutely no car audio equipment anymore. It
> wasn't worth it. But I can drive half an hour to a Rat Shack in another
town
> and find plenty of car audio equipment.
> It just makes good business sense.
>
> Cheers.
>
> "WG" <noj...@mail.com> wrote in message
> > Unfortunately it is not a franchise store but a company store and one of
> the
> > largest in Vancouver.
> >
> > "M. Schneider" <marki...@juno.com> wrote in message
> > > I suspect your RS store is a franchise operation, and decided on it's
> own
> > > drop the CB,Ham,Scanner equipment. The company-owned store in my city
> has
> > > an extensive radio section, complete with lots of antennas and other
> > > accessories. RS isn't dropping comm gear, don't forget they are
> > introducing
> > > a new amateur dualband HT. There is also a rumor out that they are
> > > contracting with GRE for a digital trunking scanner, to be introduced
> next
> > > year. Rest assured, Radio Shack is NOT discontinuing it's non-FRS
radio
> > > lines. The local people say sales of scanners, always strong, has
> > increased
> > > since 9/11.
> > >
> > > Mark
> > >
> > > "WG" <noj...@mail.com> wrote in message

> The
> > the
> single
> > > looked
> in-door
> asked
> > > the
> CB
> > > and
> meter
> > > rig
> in
> maybe
> > > more.
> > but
> > > no
> they

Clarus

Aug 1, 2002, 12:49:47 PM8/1/02
Even the Canadian online store radioshack.ca is missing the good stuff...

"DP" <jetta...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

WG

Aug 1, 2002, 7:59:35 PM8/1/02
I do believe this to be true. I was in Bellingham Washington at a R/S and
asked them for a key chain remote for my R/S car alarm. The guy took one
look at it and said, "did you get this in Canada". I said, "yep". He said,
"can't help you we are different companies". Just another piece to this. I
was at one of the ham shops today talking to one of the owners and he said
that R/S has decided to drop all of the Ham, CB and scanner stuff because of
no sales across Canada. They are just selling off the stock in the
Warehouses then you will have to order all that stuff from the US with all
the blocked frequencies and fixed repeter offsets.

David L. Wilson

Aug 2, 2002, 7:53:36 AM8/2/02
"Jim Higgins" <UseAddr...@pandora.orbl.org> wrote in message
> On Thu, 01 Aug 2002 06:25:05 GMT, in
> <5v429.16448$Ru5....@rwcrnsc52.ops.asp.att.net>, "Dave"
> <local_4...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Seems most Radio Shacks are going this way. I haven't been in a RS with a
> >decent electronics section in 6 or 7 years. Hell, check out the RS in
> >Ridgecrest. Don't dare ask them a question about anything but cell
phones,
> >cause they don't know. More than once I caught them peddling inaccurate
> >information to customers.

One has to appreciate it as entertainment. About 20 years ago I was in a
Radio Shack store in a mall in western Pennsylvania. A lady wished to buy a
TV antenna. As the location was rather far from the area TV stations, she
needed good separate VHF and UHF TV antennas. She asked which one should be
on top on the antenna mast. The salesperson told her the VHF should be on
top as UHF had shorter wavelength and therefore could not reach as high
above the ground