CAR 54 ,where are you?

cause&effect

Aug 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/12/98
Any Ideas, wizards?
I am looking for an antenna design that will
a...match(90%more or less) impedance of any xcvr it is connected to without
SWR checking.
b...have a very low angle of radiation
c..horizontal polarization
d..hung on a wall no higher than a person can reach
e..be physically indestructible
f...have a fixed length of feedline of not more than 15feet

I also need a couple of base stations and several handhelds for a
worthwhile(service to others) purpose.

--
Heed the spirit of 47USC227 et seq
drop the "nospam" to reply by email

ERLPN K4YZ

Aug 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/12/98
Marcel,

>a...match(90%more or less) impedance of any xcvr it is connected to
without
>SWR checking.

You asked for an antenna that will match "any xcvr"...I assume you mean
within the same frequency band?

I have been in the radio stuff since 1962 and have yet to see any antenna
that will operate all bands without SOME type of matching unit to keep the
transmitter happy.

If you meant any transceiver that is on the SAME BAND...the antenna
doesn't care what make or model of radio is attached to it, as long as the
impedance of the antenna and the output circuit of the transmitter are the same
(which is almost universally 50 ohms for modern radios)

But given even a brand new radio and a brand new antenna right out of the
box, you should still put an SWR bridge in there once and a while to make sure
everything is up to par.

As for the antenna you are asking for, I can't say it's "indestructible",
but a dipole can be made to hang indoors, is horizontally polarized, has a fair
angle of radiation, and can be made for pennies...well, a few bucks, anyway!
And if you hang it just above your rig you can make the feed line less than 15
feet.

If you are familiar with dipoles already, ignore this next sentenence
because I know it will sound patronizing(I'm sorry!), but if you'd like the
steps to make a pretty simple coax dipole, EM me and I will be glad to send you
the steps to make one....it's pretty easy, but I won't eat up space here for it
if you already know how.

73 and good luck.

Steve, K4YZ
77 Tenn 01

Toll Free

Aug 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/12/98
Log Periodics come close,

But they still have a matching network of some type at the feedpoint.
Usually an impedance transoformer / balun combo.

--
Remember.... Technicians make it happen!

Toll Free
http://www.bigradios.com/tollfree
One of the Big Johnson Boys in the Dome!

Every woman likes a man with a great big Johnson!!!
ERLPN K4YZ wrote in message
<199808122221...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...

Toll Free

Aug 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/12/98
The only part of the thread that I have is your response to him, so I was
unaware of the limitations of his antenna. Your right, an LP array would be
a bit big.

I am thinking of one for the house here, though. Wonder what my neighbors
would say.... The covenants and restrictions prevent any antenna higher
than the chimney, but I have the 3 element and the 8 element up now.... So
far so good. Maybe I should just count my blessings, eh?????

--

ERLPN K4YZ wrote in message

<199808130207...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...
>Hey Toll...
>
> He needs an antenna that he can "hang" on the wall, with 15 or less
feet
>of feedline.
>
> An LP for 11 meters would be a bit big for that, wouldn't it?
>
>Steve

ERLPN K4YZ

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98

ERLPN K4YZ

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98
Hey...

Yeah..just had to razz ya a bit! <<g>>

I wish I could have the LP's I used at MARS Station on Okinawa. 10
through 30MHz, could put 10KW ERP anywhere I aimed it....Oh, for those well
funded days!

I had 4 operating positions, 1 for phone patches and three for RTTY. Each
had a Harris RF Technolgy Transceiver and a Henry 4K Ultra amp...

73

Steve