Quotefalls freeware?

MitchellWMA

Jan 31, 2007, 4:52:41 PM1/31/07
Does anyone know of a freeware Quotefalls creator? Or at least
something that makes creating Quotefalls a lot easier? I'm having
trouble doing it manually.

tia.

MitchellWMA

Feb 1, 2007, 4:16:23 PM2/1/07
Any comments appreciated re this. I'd prefer software to help do the
legwork but will settle for anything I can get that is free in terms
of instructions, etc. I've tried making a simple quotefall but find
that it will take too much time if I don't figure out an easier way.
There must be a good resource somewhere on the net but I've done some
googling and haven't come up with much. Anyway, tia for any links and
help. :)

Oliver Wong

Feb 1, 2007, 6:37:08 PM2/1/07
"MitchellWMA" <mitche...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I wrote a small applet in Java to help the creation of Quotefalls. I'll post
it later tonight when I get home, but as a ObPuzzle and a demonstration of
its output:

IecaneingieeaheaheeedacmpleebaIad dead
Iodirhosolifakenrfngedeourhenre m
I mornot notdnmtthoiopoowws s y
L totnot ssve oy irmrrro s
T t r w o tr y
---------------------------------------
_#____#__#__#_______#______#___,
___#______#____#_____#______.
________#__#_______#___.
_#__#___#____#__#_______#____#_'_#____.
_#______#____#__#________'_#_____.

Under scores are where you need to place the letters. Hash marks are empty
spaces in the solution, and punctuation is as in the original solution. So
"Hello world!" would be encoded as "_____#_____!"

- Oliver

CBFalconer

Feb 1, 2007, 10:08:48 PM2/1/07

What is a Quotefalls?

-- Francis Crick, co-discover of DNA
-- Thomas Matthews

Ed Murphy

Feb 1, 2007, 10:51:25 PM2/1/07
CBFalconer wrote:

> MitchellWMA wrote:

>> Does anyone know of a freeware Quotefalls creator? Or at least
>> something that makes creating Quotefalls a lot easier? I'm having
>> trouble doing it manually.
>
> What is a Quotefalls?

Google is your friend. :)

http://www.pennypress.com/order/quotefalls.shtml
http://www.funwaytoteach.com/fwgw/quotefalls.htm
http://www.csc.calpoly.edu/~jdalbey/308/Assign/ExtraCredit/quotefalls.html

Oliver Wong

Feb 2, 2007, 9:44:28 AM2/2/07

"Oliver Wong" <ow...@castortech.com> wrote in message

> "MitchellWMA" <mitche...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Any comments appreciated re this. I'd prefer software to help do the
>> legwork but will settle for anything I can get that is free in terms
>> of instructions, etc. I've tried making a simple quotefall but find
>> that it will take too much time if I don't figure out an easier way.
>> There must be a good resource somewhere on the net but I've done some
>> googling and haven't come up with much. Anyway, tia for any links and
>> help. :)
>>

> I wrote a small applet in Java to help the creation of Quotefalls. I'll
> post it later tonight when I get home, but as a ObPuzzle and a
> demonstration of its output:
[...]

http://nebupookins.net/programs/Quotefalls.php

The page starts off with a (poorly phrased... I'll have to work on that)
explanation of what Quotefalls is. The applet that allows you to easily
generate your own puzzles is towards the bottom of the page. I've tweaked
the format of the output a bit, basically eliminating the hashmarks to
represent the space. Now a space character represents a space, so "Hello
World!" would appear as "_____ _____!" instead of "_____#_____!"

Here's another demonstration in the new format that doubles as an ObPuzzle:

QeanangonWeecahaacgieeelbeeifeereecndeemandpant
feondnirushhelittllmememgeltlerspiipieiseortro
lossits thsntn usorus tifn pe ssmmslvrypt
muuto t w p vs o r th mott
__________ ____ __ ________ ___ ______ ___ ___-
_____ ______ ____ ____ ____ ___________ ___
_______. ____ __ _____ __ ____'_ ____ _________
_______, __ ___ ___ ___ ______ _________.

- Oliver

Arthur J. O'Dwyer

Feb 2, 2007, 12:19:23 PM2/2/07

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007, Oliver Wong wrote:

> http://nebupookins.net/programs/Quotefalls.php
>
> The page starts off with a (poorly phrased... I'll have to work on that)
> explanation of what Quotefalls is. The applet that allows you to easily
> generate your own puzzles is towards the bottom of the page. I've tweaked
> the format of the output a bit, basically eliminating the hashmarks to
> represent the space. Now a space character represents a space, so "Hello
> World!" would appear as "_____ _____!" instead of "_____#_____!"

FWIW, a puzzle such as Quotefalls would normally be presented in a
crossword-style grid (or acrostic-style, or kakuro-style, or so on;
everyone copies the crossword design! :) Black squares for spaces,
white squares for letters. Words wrap at the borders of the rectangle,
so you don't have those "gimmes" at the end of the longest line.
You could do that using a table in plain HTML, server-side, and you
wouldn't need an applet. I can't see the applet myself; when I turn on
Java, my browser (Firefox) just says
Applet net.nebupookins.quotefalls.Quotefalls notinited

-Arthur

> Here's another demonstration in the new format that doubles as an ObPuzzle:

> QeanangonWeecahaacgieeelbeeifeereecndeemandpant
> feondnirushhelittllmememgeltlerspiipieiseortro
> lossits thsntn usorus tifn pe ssmmslvrypt
> muuto t w p vs o r th mott

> Quotations help us remember the simple yet pro-
> found truths that give life perspective and
> meaning. When it comes to life's most important
> lessons, we can all use gentle reminders.

Oliver Wong

Feb 2, 2007, 1:17:25 PM2/2/07

"Arthur J. O'Dwyer" <ajon...@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote in message

> On Fri, 2 Feb 2007, Oliver Wong wrote:
>>
>> http://nebupookins.net/programs/Quotefalls.php
>>
>> The page starts off with a (poorly phrased... I'll have to work on that)
>> explanation of what Quotefalls is. The applet that allows you to easily
>> generate your own puzzles is towards the bottom of the page. I've tweaked
>> the format of the output a bit, basically eliminating the hashmarks to
>> represent the space. Now a space character represents a space, so "Hello
>> World!" would appear as "_____ _____!" instead of "_____#_____!"
>
> FWIW, a puzzle such as Quotefalls would normally be presented in a
> crossword-style grid (or acrostic-style, or kakuro-style, or so on;
> everyone copies the crossword design! :) Black squares for spaces,
> white squares for letters.

I had considered making a "graphical" version, but:

(1) It would have been more work and I'm lazy.
(2) Using ASCII gives me the added benefit of letting me send puzzles to
my friends via MSN or text-only newsgroups, and to copy and paste the puzzle
into notepad for solving, as opposed to printing it out.

> Words wrap at the borders of the rectangle,
> so you don't have those "gimmes" at the end of the longest line.

Personally, I found the mid-word cutoffs unattractive, but the applet
certainly supports that style of puzzle, if you prefer it. You type in the
quotations, manually inserting the newlines where they are desired, and the
applet just sorts each column's letters (leaving the punctuation alone).

> You could do that using a table in plain HTML, server-side, and you
> wouldn't need an applet. I can't see the applet myself; when I turn on
> Java, my browser (Firefox) just says
> Applet net.nebupookins.quotefalls.Quotefalls notinited

One other person had the same problem, but fixed it by upgrading their
java from 1.5 to 1.6. What version of Java are you running? When I get home
tonight, I'll try messing around with the compiler to see if I can get it
working with older versions of Java.

Converting the application to be server side is interesting, though
again it'll be more work, and I think the applet allows you to play around
with the layout of the puzzle interactively until you're pleased with the
results, as opposed to constantly submitting and downloading the results.
That said, if a lot of people are having problems with the applet, I guess I
can save them all a lot of grief by making it a PHP script or something.

[snip correct solution to the ObPuzzle]

- Oliver

MitchellWMA

Feb 2, 2007, 5:44:21 PM2/2/07
I had a lot of trouble with this. I'm here at the office and I'm
guessing things are locked up so that we can't install things like
this, just like programs are, so no go. Also, that was in IE. I also
tried on my Firefox portable from my USB flash drive and I got the
popup blocker on that page, so I'm reluctant to try this from home
where I wouldn't be locked up tight like here Who knows what will be
able to pop up if I allow this to go through. I don't know. I'm not
that computer savvy even though I'm a power user in many other ways.

So I guess that I'm coming around to trying to figure out how to do
this manually. (I'm not a natural puzzle maker, either, I guess <lol>
which is why I need help). I've googled now for several days and not
much comes up re quotefalls to begin with except lots of Bible ones to
solve <lol>. I haven't managed to find a tutorial site or anything
that explains how to create quotefalls. Has anyone seen anything?
I've tried to make them myself but don't know why I end of having
difficulties. I guess my brain can't wrap around this as easily as
I'd hoped <g>.

Again, any comments to figure out quotefall creation would be greatly
appreciated, esp. if doing this manually.

Thanks so much. Appreciate it.

Arthur J. O'Dwyer

Feb 2, 2007, 7:48:28 PM2/2/07

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007, MitchellWMA wrote:
[...]

> So I guess that I'm coming around to trying to figure out how to do
> this manually. (I'm not a natural puzzle maker, either, I guess <lol>
> which is why I need help). I've googled now for several days and not
> much comes up re quotefalls to begin with except lots of Bible ones to
> solve <lol>. I haven't managed to find a tutorial site or anything
> that explains how to create quotefalls. Has anyone seen anything?
> I've tried to make them myself but don't know why I end of having
> difficulties. I guess my brain can't wrap around this as easily as
> I'd hoped <g>.

beadakindandickjtbleeakecaengobeecoible
ihehoning ofosoouishscleldiqouthosqlime
th tovly tr trrust telett rs tp srotn
Wt wn Y u t ou t yu y wuuty
____ ____ __ _______ _____ ___ ________
__ ______? ___ ____ ____ _ _____, _____
__ ____, ___ ____ ___ _______ __ ______.
___ ____ "_____" __ _________ ___ _____.

-Arthur,
puzzled

MitchellWmA

Feb 3, 2007, 12:16:29 PM2/3/07
On 2 Feb 2007 14:44:21 -0800, "MitchellWMA"
wrote:

Anyone? <g>

Thanks.

Arthur J. O'Dwyer

Feb 3, 2007, 4:51:58 PM2/3/07
> Anyone? <g>
>
> Thanks.

Didlaot pead
my ysu rost
___ ___ ____
__ ____ ____?

-Arthur,
still puzzled

Oliver Wong

Feb 5, 2007, 1:13:41 PM2/5/07

> On Fri, 2 Feb 2007, MitchellWMA wrote:
> [...]
>> So I guess that I'm coming around to trying to figure out how to do
>> this manually.
[...]

> beadakindandickjtbleeakecaengobeecoible
> ihehoning ofosoouishscleldiqouthosqlime
> th tovly tr trrust telett rs tp srotn
> Wt wn Y u t ou t yu y wuuty
> ____ ____ __ _______ _____ ___ ________
> __ ______? ___ ____ ____ _ _____, _____
> __ ____, ___ ____ ___ _______ __ ______.
> ___ ____ "_____" __ _________ ___ _____.

Right, this is basically what the Java applet does to help automate the
process. The applet doesn't choose a quote for you, and it doesn't decide
where the line breaks should go because both of these are mainly issues of
aesthetics. So you, as a human, have to do manually.

BTW, Arthur, I've found out that previously I had compiled the applet in
such a way so that it would only run in Java 1.6. I've now recompiled it for
1.3. Can you try the applet again and let me know if it'll run on your
computer now?

- Oliver

MitchellWMA

Feb 6, 2007, 4:55:50 PM2/6/07
The applet works at home but not here at the office so that means it
will probably not be a reliable way to make quotefalls
programmatically. Since I'd like to make puzzles frequently for
posting to the web, was wondering if anyone knew of a website that had
something like this java applet that would work offline? That would
complete this whole issue.

btw, I came up with an Excel spreadsheet that converts the output from
this java applet into a quotefalls puzzle. I'd be willing to share
the file. The macros are simplistic but they "clean up" the text and
put each letter into its own cell, etc. I'd be interested in "beta
testers", as it were. I'm not an advanced programmer or anything, in
fact know little, but know that there are probably better ways of
doing what I did re the macros.

Let me know and I'll find a way to put the file up somewhere for dl or
to post it somewhere.

Anyway, let me know re offline code, if anyone knows of anything.
thanx

Barry

Feb 6, 2007, 9:48:49 PM2/6/07

"MitchellWMA" <mitche...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
I wrote an ugly little test program in java that puts the puzzle in
clickable edit boxes, and has save/open buttons. However I
only implemented it as a java application and you would need
to be able to extract a jar and execute java. The GUI isn't very
pretty but I could easily fix it up if someone was actually going
to use it.
Link: http://barryg.110mb.com

r.e.s.

Feb 7, 2007, 5:39:28 AM2/7/07
"MitchellWMA" <mitche...@yahoo.com> wrote ...

> The applet works at home but not here at the office so that means it
> will probably not be a reliable way to make quotefalls
> programmatically. Since I'd like to make puzzles frequently for
> posting to the web, was wondering if anyone knew of a website that had
> something like this java applet that would work offline? That would
> complete this whole issue.

> Anyway, let me know re offline code, if anyone knows of anything.
> thanx

Others are offering Java applets, so I made something different
that will run on- or off-line in the Internet Explorer browser
(it was quick & dirty, nothing fancy -- the usual caveats apply):

http://r.s.home.mindspring.com/Misc/Quotefalls.htm

This is a VMS script, so I think Internet Explorer is required.
To run it offline, just save the webpage to your disk and open
it in IE. You can read and/or modify the source code as you wish
(in IE click View/Source).

--r.e.s.

Barry

Feb 7, 2007, 6:56:51 AM2/7/07

"r.e.s." <r...@ZZmindspring.com> wrote in message

Actually mine is a java application, not applet. That is, it will only run
offline, not in a browser. Java applications have a "main" like a C
program and are based on a different class than applets.

r.e.s.

Feb 7, 2007, 11:15:59 AM2/7/07
"Barry" <bar...@nullhighstream.net> wrote ...
> "r.e.s." <r...@ZZmindspring.com> wrote ...

>> Others are offering Java applets, so I made something different

>> This is a VMS script, so I think Internet Explorer is required.
^^^
Heh, that's VBS (Visual Basic Script).
I did use VAX VMS about 30 yrs ago ;)

> Actually mine is a java application, not applet.
> That is, it will only run offline, not in a browser.
> Java applications have a "main" like a C program
> and are based on a different class than applets.

Poor choice of words on my part, sorry.

John Roshi

Feb 7, 2007, 4:17:11 PM2/7/07

YES!
There is a new web site that is all about Quotefalls:

http://www.quotepuzzles.com/quotefalls/index.jsp

It features an interactive quotefall puzzle solving applet
with a new quotefall puzzle posted every day.

If you become a member (free signup), you can create
your own puzzles, using an online puzzle generator. You provide
the quote and it creates a puzzle for you! It then has an option to
print the resulting puzzle for solving with paper and pencil, or you
can submit it to the database for others to solve online.

They also sell quotefall puzzle e-books.

--john

Oliver Wong

Feb 7, 2007, 5:09:26 PM2/7/07

"r.e.s." <r...@ZZmindspring.com> wrote in message

FWIW, mine is both an applet and an application (for Java programmers, I
mean it extends JApplet, and also has a static void main(String[]) method),
so you can run it offline or online, in a browser or outside of it.

But if the OP's office's computer have some sort of firewall or other
tool blocking Java, then my applet/application probably won't be useful to
him there.

- Oliver

MitchellWMA

Feb 22, 2007, 1:38:26 PM2/22/07
On Feb 7, 5:39 am, "r.e.s." <r...@ZZmindspring.com> wrote:

[snip]

> Others are offering Java applets, so I made something different
> that will run on- or off-line in the Internet Explorer browser
> (it was quick & dirty, nothing fancy -- the usual caveats apply):
>
> http://r.s.home.mindspring.com/Misc/Quotefalls.htm
>
> This is a VMS script, so I think Internet Explorer is required.
> To run it offline, just save the webpage to your disk and open
> it in IE. You can read and/or modify the source code as you wish
> (in IE click View/Source).
>
> --r.e.s.

Hi, everyone. Sorry for the delay in responding. I was out of town
and have spent last few days catching up.

This is excellent! The above link _does_ work perfectly in IE as a
saved page. I can't thank you enough. When I was away I kept working
at my puzzles but ran into the difficulty re the internet that needed
sorting out. That's my fear with online solutions. You're fine until
you find yourself without access, something that does happen <g>.

I just finished making up my first successful acrostic puzzle and will
fine-tune that and then I'll turn my attention to making my first
quote fall. I'm planning on starting up a webpage that has all sorts
of different themed puzzles so having software to take away a lot of
the drudgery is a big help. I did up an Excel spreadsheet with
various macros that "cleans up" the quotefall that comes out of this
script. It adds the box borders and sets each letter in its own cell,
etc., etc. So I'm nearly there with two types of puzzles.

Have a great day, everyone. :oD

r.e.s.

Feb 22, 2007, 10:04:58 PM2/22/07
"MitchellWMA" <mitche...@yahoo.com> wrote ...

> I did up an Excel spreadsheet with
> various macros that "cleans up" the quotefall that comes out of this
> script. It adds the box borders and sets each letter in its own cell,
> etc., etc.

Since Excel macros are in VB, the VB script on my webpage can
of course also be used almost as-is in Excel (tweaked as you
like to put one letter per cell, etc).

MitchellWMA

Feb 23, 2007, 4:58:05 PM2/23/07
On Feb 22, 10:04 pm, "r.e.s." <r...@ZZmindspring.com> wrote:
> "MitchellWMA" <mitchellw...@yahoo.com> wrote ...

Kewl! I'm a real novice re vb. I've been learning bits and pieces
for a few years but admit that I find it on the tough side to work
with. Re the Excel spreadsheet, I recorded keystrokes mostly. But it
seems to work every time.

I'll definitely take a good look at your script next time I work on
making a quotefall. Perhaps I can figure out how to incorporate from
the outset some of the Excel functions of the sheet into the saved
webpage. Thanks for the idea.\

Cheers.

r.e.s.

Feb 24, 2007, 5:43:59 PM2/24/07
"MitchellWMA" <mitche...@yahoo.com> wrote ...

>>> I did up an Excel spreadsheet with
>>> various macros that "cleans up" the quotefall that comes out of this
>>> script. It adds the box borders and sets each letter in its own cell,
>>> etc., etc.

For making Quotefalls in picture form, here's an
Excel sheet adaptation of my previous VB Script:

http://r.s.home.mindspring.com/Misc/Quotefalls.xls

(Modify it as you wish; the usual caveats apply.)

MitchellWmA

Feb 24, 2007, 7:48:59 PM2/24/07
On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 22:43:59 GMT, "r.e.s." <r...@ZZmindspring.com>
wrote:

OMG, that is truly excellent! Boy, when I look at my puny XL2K file
..., well, it certainly doesn't compare. Your file above does
_everything_. Thanks so much from my end. Quotefall puzzles now done
in 2 seconds and right into bitmap format. My future puzzlers thank
you, too <g>.

cheers

MitchellWMA

Mar 13, 2007, 6:13:49 PM3/13/07
On Feb 24, 6:43 pm, "r.e.s." <r...@ZZmindspring.com> wrote:
> "MitchellWMA" <mitchellw...@yahoo.com> wrote ...

> For makingQuotefallsin picture form, here's an

> Excel sheet adaptation of my previous VB Script:
>
> http://r.s.home.mindspring.com/Misc/Quotefalls.xls
>
> (Modify it as you wish; the usual caveats apply.)

Thanks again for this! It's awesome.

There is one thing, though. Can the script be amended to include
putting the solution in the bottom portion? Just that. That's all
that's missing. Then after saving the entire puzzle as the solution,
it's just a question of erasing the bottom letters of the solution so
that the puzzle is left ready to solve. I'm finding that it takes
more than one attempt to make a good puzzle and the only way we see
this is by typing in the solution. It's turned out to be deceptively
quite time-consuming to keep re-typing in the fill part until one sees
that a puzzle is good <g>.

At any rate, thanks. This is a great job. I'm years away from
knowing how to do scripting like that <g>.

MitchellWMA

Mar 16, 2007, 1:12:43 PM3/16/07
Does anyone know how to do this? It's a question of having the boxes
below the scrambled letters have the actual letters dumped into them
as well.

Thanks. :oD

MitchellWMA

Mar 20, 2007, 4:46:38 PM3/20/07

Well, I guess I'm going to have to search for and register to some
Excel forums. Perhaps someone can help there. I still have had no
luck with this.

r.e.s.

Mar 20, 2007, 5:45:23 PM3/20/07
"MitchellWMA" <mitche...@yahoo.com> wrote ...

Oh ... Somehow I didn't notice your recent postings. It was easy to
add the feature you wanted. The revised version is at

http://geocities.com/r_e_s_01/misc/Quotefalls.xls

(My old web address, given elsewhere in this thread, is now obsolete.)

MitchellWmA

Mar 23, 2007, 6:45:05 AM3/23/07
On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 14:45:23 -0700, "r.e.s." <r_e_...@ZZZyahoo.com>
wrote:

Very, very kewl. Thanks for this, it works just great.

Can I give you credit for this on my website (when I get it finally
get a new hosting co. ... *g*).

r.e.s.

Mar 23, 2007, 4:55:58 PM3/23/07
"MitchellWmA" <nospa...@nonsense.com> wrote ...

> Can I give you credit for this on my website (when I get it
> finally get a new hosting co. ... *g*).

No, thanks; but this does bring up some points ...

The sorting subroutine used in the script was a quick-and-dirty
adaptation of several found on the web (quicksort is one of the
simplest and most common-place sorting algorithms); e.g., at
this code-sharing site:

http://www.outlookcode.com/codedetail.aspx?id=461

QSort is apparently offered there with no restriction on use --
but I'm no lawyer, and don't know whether this could somehow be
an issue. If it seems to be an issue, don't use the script.

NOTE: The "usual caveats" mentioned earlier should definitely
be understood to exclude for-profit use, in keeping with the
*free* in freeware.