Nikon 8008 and N70

Andrew Page

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
I have a chance to get a N70 for a good deal --- I would like a camera that
auto focuses faster than my 8008, but is the N70 a better camera? (the N70
is the 'replacement' for the 8008,right?)

Just by looking at a picture of it I know one thing - the LED 'idiot proof'
screen is quite annoying. Is the camera just as well built as the 8008?
Anybody has experience with the two.

Andrew Page

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
to reply personally, take out NOSPAM out my address

thanks

Anders Svensson

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
Andrew Page skrev:

Do you have to get rid of your 8008 to get the N70... ? :-)

You may find that the N70 (F70) is a "better" camera, but also a (shudder)
*different* camera. The interface turned me off (towards a mere F60) but the
F70 is still a pretty good camera in most respects.

Anders Svensson
Anders.-.Ei...@swipnet.se

Todd Leghorn

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
I've had an 8008 for about 10 years. I shoot only a few hundred rolls a year
with it, and it's been in the repair shop twice in the past 10 years.

I cannot answer your question about comparisons to the N70, but one major
consideration that I like about the 8008 is that it accepts AA batteries.
Good quality AA batteries are both cheap and available *anywhere* in the
world. I despise these newer cameras that require CR2 or xx123 (batteries).

If I had to replace my 8008 today, AA battery compatibility is a major
factor. I buy a bulk pack of AA alkaline batteries at Costco (48 batteries
for about US$11), while one measily CR2 or 123 battery runs between US$5-10
each. CR2s and 123s might be *convenient* for the leisurely point and shoot
snapshot crowd, but refuse to get stuck with them for my main camera.

Agpix

Nov 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/19/99
I have an use both of these cameras for wedding and bar/bat mitzvah
photography. The N8008 is definitely a sturdier and better built camera. Its
replacement was the N90 (not the N70), so the natural upgrade today would be
the N90s. It uses regular AA batteries and performs well.

What I dislike about the N8008 is the autofocus system, which is very slow
compared to the N70, so I often find myself using the N70 in preference to the
N8008, especially for candid reception coverage. The N70 is a great camera and
very light weight, by far Nikon's best value for the money. The interface is
logical, but awkward to get used to; I still prefer the N8008 interface.

For family pictures and such, I love the N70; even the built in flash has been
a great help many times. As for batter usage, I seem to get about 40 rolls (36
exp) on a set of lithium, with external flash. Using the built in flash
regularly would greatly shorten battery life.
Gene Hurwitz
A&G's Picture This!
Philadelphia PA

Henrik Egedorf

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
In article <FKWY3.7587$d6.1...@newsr2.maine.rr.com>,
apage1...@maine.rr.com says...

> I have a chance to get a N70 for a good deal --- I would like a camera that
> auto focuses faster than my 8008, but is the N70 a better camera? (the N70
> is the 'replacement' for the 8008,right?)
>
> Just by looking at a picture of it I know one thing - the LED 'idiot proof'
> screen is quite annoying. Is the camera just as well built as the 8008?
> Anybody has experience with the two.

Supposedly the N70 replaced 8008 but this really corresponds more
to the n90 in some respects: DOF preview - 1/250 sec flash sync.

Well built? Dunno. N70 has not been reported here to fall apart or
break down often. I don't know how the calculated "mean times to
failure" compares.

I guess that you won't feel n70 as much of an upgrade - except
for AF speed. Consider N90s - trade in the 8008, it should still
give you a good price.

Also, if you don't like the look, feel and handling of the camera
- don't buy it! I have it, and I like the oversightly LCD display.
But, it's not very fast in handling.

Good shooting!

Henrik
--