Velvia and DSLR test

MXP

Nov 13, 2005, 4:37:56 PM11/13/05
I made test of my film camera against my friends 8MP DSLR. Both tried to get
the same
frame in the viewfinder. Both cameras mounted on a tripod. Not same lens and
two
different brands of cameras. The film crop is about 8x9mm of film. Scanned
at 4000 dpi.
DSLR image is from RAW format converted to best JPEG.

Remember this is just for fun.......

DSLR:
http://www.pbase.com/mxp/image/52209028

Velvia:
http://www.pbase.com/mxp/image/52208509

This is also a test of PBASE. Have never tried this before.

Max

Kinon O'cann

Nov 13, 2005, 4:49:07 PM11/13/05
Although I appreciate the efforts, I can't tell anything from the test. Try
it this way:

1. Shoot the same scene using lenses of roughly equivilant quality at the
same angle of view. This is critical.

2. Present the full-frame results from both cameras.

3. Show us a crop of the same area of the image, showing a 100% crop of the
larger of the two images.

"MXP" <max_...@post11.tele.dk> wrote in message

MXP

Nov 13, 2005, 4:52:13 PM11/13/05
Both images can be viewed here.....along with the full frame 24x36 image.

http://www.pbase.com/mxp/test

"MXP" <max_...@post11.tele.dk> skrev i en meddelelse
> [...]

MXP

Nov 13, 2005, 5:04:43 PM11/13/05
It is 100% crops. The 24x36 scanned at 4000 DPI will appear larger then.
You need something like a 24MP DSLR to have about same size.

Both cameras was mounted just beside each other. I have added the
24x36 full frame very compressed. Don't know if I still have the
DSLR full frame image.

DSLR was a 28-70/2.8 pro zoom. Film camera a 50/1.8 lens. The
zoom setting was set so it approx gave the same frame as the 50mm
lens. Don't think the 28-70 is a limiting factor. Should with ease handle
a 8MP sensor?

Max

"Kinon O'cann" <Yes.it's.me.Bowser> skrev i en meddelelse

MXP

Nov 13, 2005, 5:22:00 PM11/13/05
DSLR full frame added. Different colors. Light changes fast in
Skotland......

http://www.pbase.com/mxp/test

Velvia scanned from AN glass frame so a little bit of film is hidden in the
frame.

Max

"MXP" <max_...@post11.tele.dk> skrev i en meddelelse

Colin D

Nov 13, 2005, 5:55:54 PM11/13/05

Why is the dslr crop only half the size of the film crop? makes it hard
to even see the writing at that size. What about a crop 100%, and with
the dslr RAW converted to TIF? What format was the scan of velvia in -
tif or jpeg?

Colin D.

MarkË›

Nov 13, 2005, 5:58:49 PM11/13/05

Those crops are SO tiny that it's tough to judge anything.
Try it with a much larger crop, or perhaps even an inflated crop...

MXP

Nov 13, 2005, 6:11:27 PM11/13/05
The DSLR crop is 100% .......the sensor is only 8MP.
The 4000 dpi scan gives about 24MP .....so therefore larger in 100% viewing.
Text can not be written in the original DSLR raw file (I don't have it) but
I asked my
friend if he could read it. The original film scan was in .tif

We have tested more than this image and if we talk pure resolution 8MP can't
beat
24x36 mm Velvia. That is my own conclusion. I know some claims that the 3MP?
Nikon D1 could show more details that Velvia 50 .....but that sounds
nonsense to me.

Max

"Colin D" <Col...@killspam.127.0.0.1> skrev i en meddelelse

MXP

Nov 13, 2005, 6:18:45 PM11/13/05

"MarkË›" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> skrev i en meddelelse
You can read the text in the film crop but not i the DSLR crop. You have
no more information in the DSLR crop than showed.....it is 100% viewing of
this crop.
I have seen many stupid tests where people want to show that a 5 or 6 MP
sensor
outperforms film (Velvia). I have never understood this.....and still does
not understand it.

Max

Canon F1 via PhotoKB.com

Nov 13, 2005, 7:44:09 PM11/13/05
MXP wrote:
>I have seen many stupid tests where people want to show that a 5 or 6 MP
>sensor
>outperforms film (Velvia). I have never understood this.....and still does
>not understand it.
>
>Max

You will never win this arguement with digital shooters. Don't even waste
your typing fingers.

I am with you however. To me, film will out do digital in most cases. I
have a shot of the Teton Mtns. in Western Wyoming that I shot back in August
of this year. I shot the photo from the top of a ski slope on the Idaho side.
It is an uncommon photo. I shot the photo with ordinary Fuji 100 ASA print
film (not slide) out of my Canon F1 through an FL 28mm on f16. I had the
negative scanned and I have a 20 x 30 full frame print matted/framed and
hanging in my living room. There is very little grain in the clouds or blue
sky even this big and with print film. You got to be within inches to see
any grain at all in the photo and then it is mostly in the clouds. You move
back even a foot from the photo and you can't see it anymore.

I have a sea sunset shot with a hanging fisherman's net hanging to dry I
shot in 1990 in Hong Kong I shot with ordinary Fijuchrome 100 ASA film
through an old Canon AE 1 and a 28-105 Knock off lens. With a high res scan,
I have gone to 30 x 40 and there is no noticable grain. I plan on a 40 x 60
of this shot customed framed and matted for the next photo show I go to. It
turns heads and sells at any size, 16 x 24 being the most popular.

Show all the photo's you like but you can't convince digital shooters they
might be on a bad path.

F1

MarkË›

Nov 13, 2005, 8:41:01 PM11/13/05

Bad path?
Perhaps that characterization is what you find argued, and rightly so.
I don't have a problem identifying where film performs in comparison to
digital.
There are some aspects of each that "out-do" the other. The benefits of
film exist independantly of the benefits of digital. -To characterize
digital as a "bad path" is pretty silly, though.
There is no need for such pronouncements one way or the other, and certainly
not in terms of "good" or "bad."
Each form of photography has areas where it shines, and areas where it
reveals its limitations.
I would suggest that the kind of blanket statements you are making in your
post only fan the flames of a very unnecessary fire.

Canon F1 via PhotoKB.com

Nov 13, 2005, 9:11:01 PM11/13/05
MarkË› wrote:
>>> I have seen many stupid tests where people want to show that a 5 or
>>> 6 MP sensor
>[quoted text clipped - 29 lines]

>> Show all the photo's you like but you can't convince digital shooters
>> they might be on a bad path.
>
>Bad path?
>>I would suggest that the kind of blanket statements you are making in your
>post only fan the flames of a very unnecessary fire.

OK, bad wording. I am sorry. I do beleive that digital photography as we
know it know will likely change into new technologies and all will try to
convert to the newest and latest. I just hope that film is still around.
Sad if my old Canon F1 out lives film.

de...@boisclair.freeserve.co.uk

Nov 14, 2005, 10:06:36 AM11/14/05
It is interesting to see that the waterfront scene(the only one that I
can view in a largish size)looks warmer - and far more pleasing - in
the digital version

Denis Boisclair
Cheshire, UK

MXP

Nov 14, 2005, 3:37:37 PM11/14/05
The DSLR image is a lot warmer. Probably adjusted a bit in Photoshop.
That kind of work can be done with the Velvia image also. But the Velvia
100F is a bit on the cool side.

Max

<de...@boisclair.freeserve.co.uk> skrev i en meddelelse

Kinon O'cann

Nov 14, 2005, 6:18:59 PM11/14/05
OK, but blow up the film crop to whatever size you want, and then blow up
the digital image to match in size. The DSLR image will appear chunkier with
less resolution, but that's because it is...

Either way, make the crops the same size; it's easier. A little bigger
wouldn't hurt, either.

"MXP" <max_...@post11.tele.dk> wrote in message

Scott W

Nov 14, 2005, 6:23:10 PM11/14/05
Kinon O'cann wrote:
> OK, but blow up the film crop to whatever size you want, and then blow up
> the digital image to match in size. The DSLR image will appear chunkier with
> less resolution, but that's because it is...
>
> Either way, make the crops the same size; it's easier. A little bigger
> wouldn't hurt, either.

I would like to see larger as well, maybe a crop size of around 400 x
400 pixels ?

BTW thanks for posting the photos.

Scott

MXP

Nov 14, 2005, 6:49:52 PM11/14/05
OK.

I have added a larger crop and upsampled the DSLR image to about same size
as
the film crop.

http://www.pbase.com/mxp/gallery/test

Max

"Scott W" <bip...@hotmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse

Scott W

Nov 14, 2005, 7:30:15 PM11/14/05
MXP wrote:
> OK.
>
> I have added a larger crop and upsampled the DSLR image to about same size
> as
> the film crop.
>
> http://www.pbase.com/mxp/gallery/test
>
> Max

Impressive detail, that is a far better scan then I have seen from 35mm
in the past.

Scott

Paul Furman

Nov 14, 2005, 10:41:33 PM11/14/05
MXP wrote:
> OK.
>
> I have added a larger crop and upsampled the DSLR image to about same size
> as
> the film crop.
>
> http://www.pbase.com/mxp/gallery/test
>
> Max

Wow those are very different. The velvia is much more contrasty and
lacks reflections on the windows as if a polarizer was used. The
background trees are much darker and less saturated. The histograms in
PS are really different too: the velvia histogram is 'taller' though I'm
not sure what that means <g>. No doubt there is more detail.

clif

Nov 14, 2005, 10:46:03 PM11/14/05

I shoot 8x10 film with ultimate resolution needed. While it takes 3
times as long (sometimes longer) to shoot, there is at least a hundred
fold difference in resolution. I would hate to try to store that shot,
even in the 64bit unix world. I use a modified zone system for
exposure and find that film color depth is much better too. Still,
getting the shot to digital is quite a challenge. The greatest
limitation I seem to run in is in scanning. I frequently find that
scanners cannot provide the color depth of the camera. Perhaps it is
my lack of digital processing knowledge. What scanner was used for
this demo?

MXP

Nov 15, 2005, 2:19:59 AM11/15/05

"Scott W" <bip...@hotmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse

When used correct the 9000ED can pull many details out of the film. It of
course
also requires that the input material is good (tripod, correct focus,
correct exposure,
good camera (flat film and precise mirror box), good lens, good
development).
The scan could probably be a bit better if I used a Gepe mount with only AN
glass
on the top so the emulsion side is free from glass. If you look in the high
contrast
transitions there is a bit of red/blue CA (about 1 pixel row). It ammost
disappears if I
do that and also running the scanner in the fine CCD mode where only 1 CCD
row
are used (scanner has a CCD with 3 rows). Then scan time takes 3 times
longer.
There are many options when scanning. In this scan I used x8 multi sample. I
can
chose from 1x, 4x, 8x and 16x multi sample. This is to outcompensate noise
from
the CCD. Then you get dark areas very clean and free from noise.

Max

MXP

Nov 15, 2005, 2:29:23 AM11/15/05

"clif" <cl...@posey.org> skrev i en meddelelse

The scanner I use now is a Nikon 9000ED. I think you get good price/quality
when buying this scanner. Next step is Imacon which is a big step.....very
expensive.
They are good for 4x5" ......but don't know if they make 8x10" scanners.
The largest format I use is 6x6. Then I don't count vintage 6x9 cameraes I
have.
The scanner can do 6x9 so I am looking for a good quality 6x9 camera. E.g. a
Linhof with 6x9 Rollex could be fun to play with.

When I scan 6x6 i 16 bit color mode (4000 dpi) the file size is 400 - 500 MB
pr. scan.
Then Photoshop adjustments takes some time also.......need a lot of RAM.

Max

MXP

Nov 15, 2005, 2:32:59 AM11/15/05

"Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> skrev i en meddelelse

I used a polarizer set to max. polarizing effect. I am not sure about my
friends DSLR. I know he has a filter...but if it was used and how it was
set I don't know.

Paul Furman

Nov 15, 2005, 11:58:48 AM11/15/05
MXP wrote:
> "Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> skrev i en meddelelse
>
>>MXP wrote:
>>
>>>OK.
>>>
>>>I have added a larger crop and upsampled the DSLR image to about same
>>>size as
>>>the film crop.
>>>
>>>http://www.pbase.com/mxp/gallery/test
>>>
>>>Max
>>
>>Wow those are very different. The velvia is much more contrasty and lacks
>>reflections on the windows as if a polarizer was used. The background
>>trees are much darker and less saturated. The histograms in PS are really
>>different too: the velvia histogram is 'taller' though I'm not sure what
>>that means <g>.

Here's the histograms for those:
http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=Misc/photography/histogram

> No doubt there is more detail.
>

> I used a polarizer set to max. polarizing effect. I am not sure about my
> friends DSLR. I know he has a filter...but if it was used and how it was
> set I don't know.

I don't think he used a polarizer. I'm not sure how much difference that
makes. Another thing I notice is your velvia shot shows highlights in
the hand rails in the foreground which are just flat gray on the DSLR
image. Overall much more contrasty.

MXP

Nov 15, 2005, 1:07:30 PM11/15/05

"Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> skrev i en meddelelse

OK.
To make more justice to the DSLR image I have made level adjustment and
USM in Photoshop and uploaded the image. The JPEG converted RAW
was probably direct from the camera and you always do some adjustments
in Photoshop or another program.

MXP

Nov 15, 2005, 1:21:07 PM11/15/05

"MXP" <max_...@post11.tele.dk> skrev i en meddelelse
After adjusting the DSLR it has better highlights than the Velvia. But
Velvia
still has more details. I could probably make the Velvia better by
rescanning
it and be a little more careful with levels and USM in Photoshop. I have
blown
out the highlights what you also see in the histograms.
For this image I did not save the original "raw" scan which would have been
nice. When we get 18-20 MP DSLR's I probably will get one but still use
film. Waiting for the new Fuji S4 Pro.......

Paul Furman

Nov 15, 2005, 1:40:24 PM11/15/05
MXP wrote:

I also played with levels, curves & sharpening without any huge
improvement. I'm still impressed with the Velvia. It's possible the
polarizer had a big impact though if this was a little competition
between you & your buddy, you clearly won <g>.

HvdV

Nov 15, 2005, 2:27:01 PM11/15/05
MXP wrote:
> It is 100% crops. The 24x36 scanned at 4000 DPI will appear larger then.
> You need something like a 24MP DSLR to have about same size.
>
> Both cameras was mounted just beside each other. I have added the
> 24x36 full frame very compressed. Don't know if I still have the
> DSLR full frame image.
>
> DSLR was a 28-70/2.8 pro zoom. Film camera a 50/1.8 lens. The
> zoom setting was set so it approx gave the same frame as the 50mm
> lens. Don't think the 28-70 is a limiting factor. Should with ease handle
> a 8MP sensor?
In your velvia scans I can't directly see the grain, whereas in my experience
scans with a Minolta 5400-II of velvia 50 do show grain. Did you use use an
anti grain filter, and if so which?

Thanks for posting this, Hans

MXP

Nov 15, 2005, 2:46:07 PM11/15/05

"HvdV" <noh...@svi.nl> skrev i en meddelelse

My scanner has GEM but I did not use it to blur out the grains as my
experience is that it also affects the details. GEM is pure software I think
and the software can't tell the difference between very fine details and
grains.
I only used digital ICE set to normal to remove the dust. I have checked
that
it does not affect the details.
There is a bit of visible grains in the sky but I think the AN glass from
the
scanning side (emulsion) has worked like a soft filter. The slide was
mounted
in a Gepe AN glass frame. If you look at the Gigabit scans you will see
grains
especially in the sky. For these scans I mounted the film in a Gepe frame
only
with AN glass on the glossy side (opposite the emulsion side).
I will try to rescan the Velvia using the same type of Gepe mount.
On the paper the Velvia 100F should be a bit more fine grained than the
Velvia 50.

Max

MXP

Nov 15, 2005, 5:05:57 PM11/15/05
I have now re-scanned using a Gepe mount with only AN glass on the top.
I think this is the best I can get out of the Velvia image with my 9000ED.
Re-scanned crop has been uploaded.

"Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> skrev i en meddelelse

HvdV

Nov 15, 2005, 5:10:10 PM11/15/05
MXP wrote:

> My scanner has GEM but I did not use it to blur out the grains as my
> experience is that it also affects the details. GEM is pure software I think
> and the software can't tell the difference between very fine details and
> grains.
Indeed, some grains are larger than some details...

> I only used digital ICE set to normal to remove the dust. I have checked
> that
> it does not affect the details.
I thought I could see some more noise or grain near contrasty boundaries, so
I thought you were using something like an adaptive gaussian or median filter.

> There is a bit of visible grains in the sky but I think the AN glass from
> the
> scanning side (emulsion) has worked like a soft filter. The slide was
> mounted

> in a Gepe AN glass frame. If you look at the Gigabit scans you will see
> grains
> especially in the sky. For these scans I mounted the film in a Gepe frame
> only
> with AN glass on the glossy side (opposite the emulsion side).

Were these the gigabit scans from the lighthouse?

> I will try to rescan the Velvia using the same type of Gepe mount.

ok!

> On the paper the Velvia 100F should be a bit more fine grained than the
> Velvia 50.

Yes, but isn't the 100F 'newer and better'?

-- Hans

MXP

Nov 15, 2005, 5:37:49 PM11/15/05

> MXP wrote:
>>
>> My scanner has GEM but I did not use it to blur out the grains as my
>> experience is that it also affects the details. GEM is pure software I
>> think
>> and the software can't tell the difference between very fine details and
>> grains.
> Indeed, some grains are larger than some details...
>> I only used digital ICE set to normal to remove the dust. I have checked
>> that
>> it does not affect the details.
> I thought I could see some more noise or grain near contrasty boundaries,
> so I thought you were using something like an adaptive gaussian or median
> filter.

>> There is a bit of visible grains in the sky but I think the AN glass from
>> the
>> scanning side (emulsion) has worked like a soft filter. The slide was
>> mounted
>
>> in a Gepe AN glass frame. If you look at the Gigabit scans you will see
>> grains
>> especially in the sky. For these scans I mounted the film in a Gepe frame
>> only
>> with AN glass on the glossy side (opposite the emulsion side).

> Were these the gigabit scans from the lighthouse?

Yes, the BW scans I have uploaded is from Gigabitfilm.

>> I will try to rescan the Velvia using the same type of Gepe mount.
> ok!

I have now uploaded a re-scan of the crop. Think you can see a bit more
grains here.

>> On the paper the Velvia 100F should be a bit more fine grained than the
>> Velvia 50.
> Yes, but isn't the 100F 'newer and better'?
>
> -- Hans

Velvia 100F is newer. But many still likes the old Velvia 50. The yet newer
Velvia 100 (no F) should be the best of them both. Fine grained like 100F
and
colors like Velvia 50. I look forward to try the new Velvia 100. It is then
assumed
that the old Velvia 50 will go out of production.

Max

MASL

Mar 7, 2006, 1:27:56 PM3/7/06

MXP Wrote:

> Remember this is just for fun.......
>
> Max

Well thanks, I had fun. Glad to see that 35mm holds it's own vs the
1DII. I can see why you were out there with your cameras too, pleasant
scene. Thanks for the effort,
-Mark

--
MASL