a bad experience with a digital camera

bugbear

Jun 29, 2006, 6:44:40 AM6/29/06
The camera (Canon A510) has served me faithfully and well:
http://www.wdynamic.com/galoots/4images/categories.php?cat_id=177
http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/bugbear33/

but yesterday I loaded up a backpack
for a pleasant day at a country fair.

Gadgets, camera, Nikon binoculars, can of coke,
wallet, sub glasses.

After about an hour my back felt...cold.
5 Minutes later my back felt ... wet.

Checking the backpack revealed that the can
of coke had split, presumably due to
my body movements shaking it, and the high-ish
temperature.

Coke is messy, acidic, sugary stuff.

I no longer own a (working) camera.

BugBear

Joseph Meehan

Jun 29, 2006, 7:08:47 AM6/29/06

If you are not considering repairing the camera, you might try some good
flushing with clean water. Do it many times and let it dry out. It might
return to life.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Ian B

Jun 29, 2006, 8:15:59 AM6/29/06

"Joseph Meehan" <sligojo...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Was the camera in a case? Everywhere I take mine it is, so wet coke etc
> should not have gotten through?

tomm42

Jun 29, 2006, 8:34:38 AM6/29/06

As was said, dunk it in fresh water, you may even try distilled water.
Change the water a few times. Remember to remove the batteries. With
metal cameras you waould dry them in a toater oven at 200 degrees F,
with a plastic camera see if you can keep a temp of 120 F or so. Don't
take the camera out of the water until you have someplace warm for it.
Try to drain as much water as possible from the unit, then dry for
several hours. Can't hurt, I always keep the camera separate from food
when hiking or camping just for that reason, a small belt pack would be
good for that camera.
Sounds like you didn't have problems with the camera, but with the can
of Coke.

Tom

Freda

Jun 29, 2006, 8:34:56 AM6/29/06
"Ian B" <ian....@baesystems.com> wrote in message
Depends on the case, I've never had one in over 30 years that's been
watertight. Their main purpose is to protect the camera from knocks, not
liquids.

Jer

Jun 29, 2006, 8:52:25 AM6/29/06

Sorry to hear about that feller's camera, but it sounds like a
pressurized can of sugar water ruins more than one's waistline. How
anyone can ingest that garbage is a marketing miracle.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

bugbear

Jun 29, 2006, 8:54:54 AM6/29/06
Ian B wrote:

>>Was the camera in a case? Everywhere I take mine it is, so wet coke etc
>>should not have gotten through?

Yep. Nice little padded case from Tesco.
Some kind of neoprene I think.

Case is porous, zip is nothing special.

BugBear

bugbear

Jun 29, 2006, 8:56:56 AM6/29/06
tomm42 wrote:
> As was said, dunk it in fresh water, you may even try distilled water.
> Change the water a few times. Remember to remove the batteries. With
> metal cameras you waould dry them in a toater oven at 200 degrees F,
> with a plastic camera see if you can keep a temp of 120 F or so. Don't
> take the camera out of the water until you have someplace warm for it.
> Try to drain as much water as possible from the unit, then dry for
> several hours. Can't hurt,

I'll try it; I'm in a "no lose" situation here.

> I always keep the camera separate from food
> when hiking or camping just for that reason, a small belt pack would be
> good for that camera.

You're wiser than I :-(

> Sounds like you didn't have problems with the camera, but with the can
> of Coke.

Yes; I have no criticism of the camera, only my own
stupidity.

I wasn't really looking for help (although it's much
appreciated) more trying to warn others.

BugBear

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

Jun 29, 2006, 9:30:08 AM6/29/06

? "tomm42" <tmo...@wildblue.net> ?????? ??? ??????
Excellent advice.I saved my 10 years old VCR from an afternoon in the rain
(I threw it away when I thought it was toast after some kid switched it to
NTSC playback), by opening its case and running a fan heater in front of
it.But when it was wet it didn't work, so don't give up hope.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
542nd mechanized infantry batallion

T i m

Jun 29, 2006, 9:36:27 AM6/29/06

I just did this to a mates laptop keyboard .. now works a treat again
;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Ron Hunter

Jun 29, 2006, 1:50:18 PM6/29/06

Well, I hate to say this, but next time, don't put beverages in your
backpack with electronic, or optical equipment. Doing that wasn't the
best illustration of intelligence, now was it?
On the other hand, if you needed a good excuse to buy a new camera.....

ASAAR

Jun 29, 2006, 3:01:50 PM6/29/06
On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 12:50:18 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:

> Well, I hate to say this, but next time, don't put beverages in your
> backpack with electronic, or optical equipment. Doing that wasn't the
> best illustration of intelligence, now was it?

Packing the camera with a bottle of sugar free diet Coke would
have shown some intelligence and avoided this Classic mistake. <g>

John McWilliams

Jun 29, 2006, 3:18:46 PM6/29/06
On 6/29/06 10:50 AM, Ron Hunter posted the following:

> Well, I hate to say this, but n.... << Snipped bits out >>

Ron: Oh, well, then, just don't. Stifle yourself, Edith!

--
lsmft

Dave

Jun 29, 2006, 5:50:48 PM6/29/06
You might consider getting a front-loading chest pack for the camera.
You don't have to take the pack off every time you want to snap a pic, and
with the camera in front it can't be stolen as easily. Less likely to ding
the camera when you take the pack off, and no temptation to mix it with
food. Unless of course you drool.....

Dave

"John McWilliams" <jp...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Mojtaba

Jun 29, 2006, 6:28:55 PM6/29/06
Conclusion:

Cock is unhealthy for:

- Human beings
- Digital cameras

Paul Bartram

Jun 29, 2006, 9:49:48 PM6/29/06

"Ron Hunter" <rphu...@charter.net> wrote

> Well, I hate to say this, but next time, don't put beverages in your
> backpack with electronic, or optical equipment. Doing that wasn't the
> best illustration of intelligence, now was it?

To be fair, when was the last time you saw a leaking can of soft drink? I
used to carry one in my backpack when bushwalking in the mountains of New
Zealand, giving it a real workout, but never had a problem (opening it was
sometimes interesting though!)

It sounds like the can was faulty, so a letter to the Coke distributors
might result in at least a free slab of drinks!

> On the other hand, if you needed a good excuse to buy a new camera.....

You need an excuse?

Paul

Paul Bartram

Jun 29, 2006, 9:52:09 PM6/29/06

"Mojtaba" <mo...@stwart.net> wrote

> Conclusion:

> Cock is unhealthy for:

Now *that's* a typo!

Paul

Lobby Dosser

Jun 30, 2006, 3:13:23 AM6/30/06
"tomm42" <tmo...@wildblue.net> wrote:

This is a bit odd, but I can report exceptional results from the water
treatment with parrot toys. Yes, parrot toys, AKA children's electronic
toys such as phones and musical games. All of them have PC boards and are
battery operated. Parrots are fairly messy and tend to get the toys
gummed up with food and 'other' debris. I take the toy out of the cage,
remove the batteries, wash it with soap and warm water, rinse completely,
shake out excess water and allow to dry in a sunny window until it works
again. Been doing this for almost ten years. Some of these toys have been
getting this treatment several times a year for several years and I've
yet to have one fail. I use plain tap water.

Ron Hunter

Jun 30, 2006, 4:00:35 AM6/30/06
Yes, such things have to go through the business manager, otherwise
known as 'spouse'. Grin.
As for the leaking can of softdrink, pretty frequently. I have even
bought 12 packs that had one or two that had leaked in shipment. Those
cans are REALLY thin, and vibration during transport can leave weak
spots that don't need much encouragement to lead to a puncture.

Randy Berbaum

Jun 30, 2006, 4:54:34 AM6/30/06
Lobby Dosser <lobby.dos...@verizon.net> wrote:

: This is a bit odd, but I can report exceptional results from the water

: treatment with parrot toys. Yes, parrot toys, AKA children's electronic
: toys such as phones and musical games. All of them have PC boards and are
: battery operated. Parrots are fairly messy and tend to get the toys
: gummed up with food and 'other' debris. I take the toy out of the cage,
: remove the batteries, wash it with soap and warm water, rinse completely,
: shake out excess water and allow to dry in a sunny window until it works
: again. Been doing this for almost ten years. Some of these toys have been
: getting this treatment several times a year for several years and I've
: yet to have one fail. I use plain tap water.

One proviso. Some cameras with built in flashes that flash automatically
when needed (no warm up before use) keep the flash charged any time the
camera is turned on. So even with the batteries removed there is a large
charged capacitor sitting there waiting to flash the flash. If this charge
gets shorted where it shouldn't (like when the camera gets wet) it could
do major damage. So, if you have a camera with a "pop-up flash", it is a
good idea to remove the batteries and wait at least a day before trying
the water wash to give the charge time to leak away. I had one camera die
from a sudden rain storm even tho the camera was under my shirt. It only
took a couple of drops of water to get through the heavy fabric to kill
it dead. From the burn marks across the circuit board it looks like that
was what happened. Just a drop of water and stored lightning turns a nice
camera into an expensive paperweight.

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL

Randy Berbaum

Jun 30, 2006, 4:58:46 AM6/30/06
Ron Hunter <rphu...@charter.net> wrote:

: Yes, such things have to go through the business manager, otherwise

: known as 'spouse'. Grin.
: As for the leaking can of softdrink, pretty frequently. I have even
: bought 12 packs that had one or two that had leaked in shipment. Those
: cans are REALLY thin, and vibration during transport can leave weak
: spots that don't need much encouragement to lead to a puncture.

Even without can leakage I would worry about condensation on the cans.
That's why I would tend to wrap either the can or the camera (or both)
with a towel or some other absorbent item. Besides, if your nice cool can
of Coke is wrapped in a towel it will remain cool, longer. :)

bugbear

Jun 30, 2006, 6:02:19 AM6/30/06
Ron Hunter wrote:

> Well, I hate to say this, but next time, don't put beverages in your
> backpack with electronic, or optical equipment. Doing that wasn't the
> best illustration of intelligence, now was it?

Agreed, whole heartedly, with head hung in shame.

> On the other hand, if you needed a good excuse to buy a new camera.....

yeah - but I was (to be honest) really happy with the camera.

It did all the things I bought it for; mainly still
lifes (which is where the manual controls
came in).

It was a bit poor as a "party" camera, due to very slow flash cycle
time, and long shutter lag.

BugBear

Jethro Bodine

Jun 30, 2006, 7:17:20 AM6/30/06

"bugbear" <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote in message

Maybe a Nikon would have done better with Coke

J. Clarke

Jun 30, 2006, 8:54:39 AM6/30/06
Randy Berbaum wrote:

For condensation put it in a Nissan Thermos JCA350 or JCE350 (froogle those
and you'll find many sources). Thing works a treat and will keep it cold
for hours. They also have a 750ml carbonated beverage bottle FDD500 that
holds the contents of two cans of soda and will keep it cold for 8 hours or
so.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

J. Clarke

Jun 30, 2006, 8:46:43 AM6/30/06
bugbear wrote:

Seems to me that Providence is giving you a message, "Bugbear, Thou Shalt
Buy An Environmentally Sealed Camera". Now it's up to you whether you want
to go with an Olympus or Pentax point-and-shoot or a semi-pro or pro
DSLR . . .

Duncan Chesley

Jun 30, 2006, 10:00:37 AM6/30/06
On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 07:52:25 -0500, Jer <gd...@airmail.ten> wrote:

>How
>anyone can ingest that garbage is a marketing miracle.

45 years ago my brother had some old chrome wheel covers he'd dug out
of a dump. They looked incredibly corroded. He would take a swig from
his can of Coke, and then pour a bit into the wheel cover. After a 2
minute wait he wiped the wheel cover with a rag on the end of a stick
without applying very much pressure. After less than one can of Coke,
some of which he drank, he had wheel covers that looked brand new.

So Coke isn't total garbage. But I'm not optimistic about the innards
of that camera!

Cheers,
DuncanC

Ron Hunter

Jun 30, 2006, 6:47:34 PM6/30/06
Put it in a heavy plastic bag, then wrap with the towel. Best of both
worlds.

John Turco

Jun 30, 2006, 11:24:33 PM6/30/06
bugbear wrote:

> The camera (Canon A510) has served me faithfully and well:
> http://www.wdynamic.com/galoots/4images/categories.php?cat_id=177
> http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/bugbear33/
>
> but yesterday I loaded up a backpack
> for a pleasant day at a country fair.
>
> Gadgets, camera, Nikon binoculars, can of coke,
> wallet, sub glasses.
>
> After about an hour my back felt...cold.
> 5 Minutes later my back felt ... wet.
>
> Checking the backpack revealed that the can
> of coke had split, presumably due to
> my body movements shaking it, and the high-ish
> temperature.
>
> Coke is messy, acidic, sugary stuff.
>
> I no longer own a (working) camera.
>
> BugBear

Hello, BugBear:

Sorry, about your traumatizing event. Coincidentally, being
a "Coke-aholic," myself, I usually consume a 24 oz. bottle
of the delightful liquid, while browsing this newsgroup
(news:rec.photo.digital).

I've yet to spill any of it, on my keyboard, either. <g>

Good luck!

Cordially,
John Turco <jt...@concentric.net>

John Turco

Jun 30, 2006, 11:24:39 PM6/30/06

Hello, Ron:

Don't ask why, but I've been saving an unopened can of Coke that I'd
bought, 'way back in 1970. Its sheet metal is noticeably thicker than
anything found on today's flimsy beverage containers, and it even
has a "seam," down the side.

They just don't make 'em like that, anymore! :-J

Cordially,
John Turco <jt...@concentric.net>

Paul Bartram

Jul 1, 2006, 2:33:32 AM7/1/06

"Lobby Dosser" <lobby.dos...@verizon.net> wrote

> This is a bit odd, but I can report exceptional results from the water
> treatment with parrot toys. Yes, parrot toys, AKA children's electronic
> toys such as phones and musical games. All of them have PC boards and are
> battery operated. Parrots are fairly messy and tend to get the toys
> gummed up with food and 'other' debris. I take the toy out of the cage,
> remove the batteries, wash it with soap and warm water, rinse completely,
> shake out excess water and allow to dry in a sunny window until it works
> again. Been doing this for almost ten years. Some of these toys have been
> getting this treatment several times a year for several years and I've
> yet to have one fail. I use plain tap water.

How often do you wash the parrots?

Paul

Ron Hunter

Jul 1, 2006, 4:29:45 AM7/1/06

Well, I haven't done that at home, but did spill a can of Dr. Pepper
into one at work once. Fortunately the guys that repaired such things
owed me one (actually quite a few), so nothing ever came of it.