Solved Olympus Digital Camera and Windows XP USB

Jason (last name withheld)

Dec 14, 2001, 3:05:27 AM12/14/01
After Searching, searching and searching I have Michel Gallois from
fr.rec.photo.numerique to thank for the solution to the "My Olympus Camera
Doesn't work on Windows XP". After these changes your camera will work
with the Wizards and you can drag and drop the images off the camera as if
it were a disk drive (Shows up in My Computer as "Olympus Digital Camera"
This worked for my C-3030Z, It should also work for these models:
D360L ,D400Z ,D450Z ,D460Z ,D490Z ,C2000Z
,C2020Z,C211Z,C2500L,C3000Z,C3030Z,C2100 based the information in Microsoft
Knowledge base articles

Q281090 - Olympus Digital Cameras Require Olympus Camedia Utility Software
Q293168 - Digital Cameras That Are Supported by WIA in Windows XP

Unfortunately Microsoft had to drop native support for Olympus in Windows
XP.
Legal issues, was the official answer I got. I'm afraid Olympus doesn't want
Microsoft to get our life easier.
Anyway. I found the way to make it work.

You have to edit the file:

c:\windows\inf\srusbusd.inf

You'll have to remove two semicolons.

The section:
[Manufacturer]
;%MfgNikon%=ModelsNikon
;%MfgEpson%=ModelsEpson
remove this semicolon=>;%MfgOlympus%=ModelsOlympus

Must become:
[Manufacturer]
;%MfgNikon%=ModelsNikon
;%MfgEpson%=ModelsEpson
%MfgOlympus%=ModelsOlympus

And

The section:
[ModelsOlympus]
remove this semicolon=>;%USB\VID_07B4&PID_0100.Device%=Olympus,
USB\VID_07B4&PID_0100
must become:
[ModelsOlympus]
%USB\VID_07B4&PID_0100.Device%=Olympus, USB\VID_07B4&PID_0100

After this, if you have already the Olympus C-2100 in your Device Manager,
uninstall it and run again the new hardware wizard. Let Windows XP find the
correct driver. Windows will attempt to frighten you with a catastrophe
prophecy. Just ignore it and go on (it works perfectly).
You're done. Now your Windows XP will see your Olympus C-2100 Ultra Zoom
without any additional software.

fl...@nospamnospam.com

Dec 14, 2001, 9:35:17 AM12/14/01

Interesting. The c2100 wasn't supposed to work that way.

Of course, working under all conditions may be an issue.

I wonder if you could get it to work with win98 using the drivers for the
newer cameras.

Did Olympus have some obsession with Camedia master ?

John S

Dec 14, 2001, 11:40:43 AM12/14/01
Apparently, Olympus would like us to scrap our old digicams and buy a new
one with USB storage class (drive letter access). IMO, a USB card reader is
the best solution to avoid Camedia software which I do not like; however, I
love my C3000 and C2100. I would hate to think that my camera will only work
on any OS, but with a card reader this problem is elimated.

<fl...@nospamnospam.com> wrote in message

daytripper

Dec 14, 2001, 4:01:54 PM12/14/01
You can use whatever you like to get pictures from the card into your system,
but Camedia Master is the only software that can "undistort" your shots
correctly...

/daytripper (Card reader - and Camedia - user)

Michelle Cox

Dec 15, 2001, 9:05:17 PM12/15/01
Could you explain what you mean by "undistort"? The only thing I've found
Camedia useful for is identifying my pano shots when I have a lot of similar
images. I haven't noticed any distortion in my images. I'm using a d490z if
that makes a difference...

Thanks,

Michelle

"daytripper" <day_t...@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message

daytripper

Dec 15, 2001, 11:20:27 PM12/15/01
On Sat, 15 Dec 2001 20:05:17 -0600, "Michelle Cox" <mc...@charter.net> wrote:

>"daytripper" <day_t...@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> You can use whatever you like to get pictures from the card into your
>system,
>> but Camedia Master is the only software that can "undistort" your shots
>> correctly...
>>
>> /daytripper (Card reader - and Camedia - user)
>
>Could you explain what you mean by "undistort"? The only thing I've found
>Camedia useful for is identifying my pano shots when I have a lot of similar
>images. I haven't noticed any distortion in my images. I'm using a d490z if
>that makes a difference...

If you haven't noticed any distortion in your images, you probably aren't
trying hard enough ;-)

I'm not familiar with your camera, but from the C2000Z upward (and onward) the
3X optical zoom lens systems present barrel distortion at one end and
pin-cushioning (or whatever the opposite of barreling is) at the other.

The Camedia Master kit for these cameras provides a distortion correction
filter that sources the EXIF header data to determine what the focal length of
the lens was for each picture, and applies the appropriate correction factor
to remove the distortion and "flatten" the image.

You can't do this anywhere near as easily without Camedia Master...

hth

/daytripper

fl...@nospamnospam.com

Dec 16, 2001, 10:10:27 AM12/16/01