Monitor for Photoshop Elements

Phil

Dec 3, 2006, 12:27:32 PM12/3/06
I'm looking to buy a new flat panel monitor for editing in Elements.
I'm an above average amateur but not a dedicated full Photoshop guy.
I've heard well of the Sony SDM HX95 19 inch. I'm in the UK and don't
want to spend more than £300 tops. Is the Sony good or are there
better brands?

Bill

Dec 3, 2006, 4:02:32 PM12/3/06
"Phil" <phi...@conway2.plus.com> wrote in message

>I'm looking to buy a new flat panel monitor for editing in Elements.
>I'm an above average amateur but not a dedicated full Photoshop guy.
>I've heard well of the Sony SDM HX95 19 inch. I'm in the UK and don't
>want to spend more than Ł300 tops. Is the Sony good or are there
>better brands?

I can't comment on the Sony, but for detailed and accurate photo
editing, you want to get an 8-bit per colour panel that displays all
16.7m colours. A 6-bit panel can only display 256k distinct colours,
so the panel dithers the display to simulate 16 million colours. The
trade-off is speed - most fast panels like 8ms or under use only
6-bits per colour since it's a lot easier and cheaper to manufacture.
The 8-bit panels tend to be slower, but have more colours. If you're
not a gamer, then look for a monitor that specifically states it has
an 8-bit panel.

If you find a model you like, but it doesn't say if it's 8-bit, then
look at the specs for speed and colours. If it states that is has
anything other than 16.7 million (like 16m or 16.2m), then it's a
6-bit panel.