SLR sales grew 39% last year

Sachin Garg

Apr 7, 2007, 5:26:33 PM4/7/07

Came across some interesting figures when looking for what to
purchase.

Total 5.3 million SLRs shipped in 2006, 39% growth over last year.

Canon shipped 2.46 million, 31% growth over last year. Nikon made 1.74
million shipments, 36 percent growth. Sony made 326,000 SLR shipments
in 2006. Samsung and Panasonic shipped 43,000 and 36,000 SLRs,
respectively.

The overall camera market grew 15 percent to 105.7 million in 2006.
The compact market grew 14 percent to 100.4 million.

Sachin Garg [India]
www.sachingarg.com | www.c10n.info

Source: http://news.com.com/SLRs+lead+digital+camera+sales+surge/2100-1041_3-6173084.html

Neil Ellwood

Apr 8, 2007, 4:13:04 AM4/8/07

Who shipped the rest then?

--
Neil
reverse 'r' and'a' - delete 'l' for email

Sachin Garg

Apr 8, 2007, 7:32:44 AM4/8/07
On Apr 8, 1:13 pm, Neil Ellwood <cral.elllwo...@btopenworld.com>
wrote:

Let me guess... the other brands.

The news.com story didn't mentioned figures for others. They took
figures from a IDC study, but that would cost a couple thousand bucks,
if you are really curious :-)

Joan

Apr 8, 2007, 8:04:10 AM4/8/07
Probably Nokia. :-)

--
Joan

"Neil Ellwood" wrote
:
: Who shipped the rest then?

ASAAR

Apr 8, 2007, 8:27:17 AM4/8/07
On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 22:04:10 +1000, Joan wrote:

>>> Came across some interesting figures when looking for what to
>>> purchase.
>>>
>>> Total 5.3 million SLRs shipped in 2006, 39% growth over last year.
>>>
>>> Canon shipped 2.46 million, 31% growth over last year. Nikon
>>> made 1.74 million shipments, 36 percent growth. Sony made
>>> 326,000 SLR shipments in 2006. Samsung and Panasonic shipped
>>> 43,000 and 36,000 SLRs, respectively.
>>>

>>> The overall camera market grew 15 percent to 105.7 million in 2006.
>>> The compact market grew 14 percent to 100.4 million.

> : Who shipped the rest then?
>
> Probably Nokia. :-)

Probably not, unless Nokia has been behind the manufacture of SLRs
for Pentax, Sigma and possibly other unidentified companies. :)

Neil Ellwood

Apr 8, 2007, 8:29:23 AM4/8/07
On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 22:04:10 +1000, Joan wrote:

> Probably Nokia. :-)

When did they start making dslrs?

Joan

Apr 8, 2007, 8:39:56 AM4/8/07
Depends on the question, which wasn't specific. If the question was
about camera sales then my answer is appropriate. If it was about
SLRs then Sachin Garg's answer is appropriate.

--
Joan

"Neil Ellwood" <cral.el...@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

Joan

Apr 8, 2007, 8:42:11 AM4/8/07
As I said in my later reply to Neil, his question wasn't specific.

--
Joan

"ASAAR" wrote
:
: Probably not, unless Nokia has been behind the manufacture of SLRs

:

ASAAR

Apr 8, 2007, 9:13:49 AM4/8/07
On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 22:42:11 +1000, Joan wrote:

>>> Who shipped the rest then?

> : Probably not, unless Nokia has been behind the manufacture of SLRs

> : for Pentax, Sigma and possibly other unidentified companies. :)

> As I said in my later reply to Neil, his question wasn't specific.

Sure it was. When talking about SLRs, Canon, Nikon, Sony, Samsung
and Panasonic were mentioned. It certainly makes sense for the
question to refer to SLRs when asking "Who shipped the rest then?"
because the total number of SLRs shipped was given as well as the
number shipped by each of the mentioned manufacturers. Subtract
individual shipments from the total shipped and you get the amount
that can be assigned to "the rest". But when talking about "the
overall camera market" and "the camera market" not only were no
actual "shipped" numbers provided, no companies were mentioned.
Saying that "Nokia" shipped the rest can't apply for either of these
two markets, since that implies that other companies were previously
named, but none had been, such as PDA/camera manufacturers Palm and
HP. Then too, the Subject's a clue. BTW, after mentioning Pentax
and Sigma I realized that Olympus had been left out. For shame. <g>

Neil Ellwood

Apr 8, 2007, 9:59:38 AM4/8/07
On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 22:39:56 +1000, Joan wrote:

> Depends on the question, which wasn't specific. If the question was
> about camera sales then my answer is appropriate. If it was about
> SLRs then Sachin Garg's answer is appropriate.

You got that wrong - look at the subject line . It specifically mentions
slr. How much more specific can you get?

Bill Funk

Apr 8, 2007, 12:09:16 PM4/8/07
On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 08:59:38 -0500, Neil Ellwood
<cral.el...@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 22:39:56 +1000, Joan wrote:
>
>> Depends on the question, which wasn't specific. If the question was
>> about camera sales then my answer is appropriate. If it was about
>> SLRs then Sachin Garg's answer is appropriate.
>>

>You got that wrong - look at the subject line . It specifically mentions
>slr. How much more specific can you get?

Then read the post:

"The overall camera market grew 15 percent to 105.7 million in 2006.
The compact market grew 14 percent to 100.4 million."

It is not at all uncommon for a post (even the OP) to cover more
thanjustt he topics given in the Subject line.

The White House gave John Kerry's
campaign nemesis Sam Fox, who funded
the Swift Boat Veterans, a recess
appointment to Belgium on Wednesday.
Nothing ever changes. John Kerry
insisted he was for the appointment
before he was against the appointment.

Spam THis

Apr 8, 2007, 12:28:20 PM4/8/07
The stats seem to miss Pentax, and Olympus that are bigger players in
the dSLR market than Panasonic's overpriced rebadged Olympus and Samsung

Alan Browne

Apr 8, 2007, 12:42:50 PM4/8/07
Spam THis wrote:

> The stats seem to miss Pentax, and Olympus that are bigger players in
> the dSLR market than Panasonic's overpriced rebadged Olympus and Samsung

""Sony wasn't in the market in 2005, but its 326,000 SLR shipments in
2006 were enough to vault the consumer electronics company over
established camera makers Olympus and Pentax into third place overall,
according to IDC data released Monday.""

At least you know they each had less than 326K SLR shipments.

ASAAR

Apr 8, 2007, 1:02:35 PM4/8/07
On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 09:09:16 -0700, Bill Funk wrote:

>> You got that wrong - look at the subject line . It specifically mentions
>> slr. How much more specific can you get?
>
> Then read the post:
> "The overall camera market grew 15 percent to 105.7 million in 2006.
> The compact market grew 14 percent to 100.4 million."
> It is not at all uncommon for a post (even the OP) to cover more
> thanjustt he topics given in the Subject line.

And nowhere does it mention any manufacturers belonging to either
of those market groupings (overall, compact). So "who shipped the
rest" makes no sense if applied to that part of the message. Nor
were any absolute numbers of shipments stated for those markets. On
the other hand several manufacturers of DSLRs were named and the
"shipped"numbers were given, where the individual numbers added up
to less than the total number shipped, so for DSLRs it makes sense
to wonder who "the rest" might have been. You can even do the math
and figure out how many DSLRs were shipped by "the rest" even if you
don't know who they might be. As applied to an overall compact
market that grew 15 percent and a compact market that grew 14
percent, "the rest" has no real meaning. But having put her foot in
her mouth, our Manly Joan has her justification, and weak as her
story is, she's sticking to it. You're under no obligation to help
defend her logic errors, unless you're trying to be seen here as a
Manly Man. <g>

Sachin Garg

Apr 8, 2007, 2:32:23 PM4/8/07

On Apr 8, 9:42 pm, Alan Browne <alan.bro...@FreelunchVideotron.ca>
wrote:

Oops, sorry I missed them in summary. But as Alan quoted the article
doesn't mentions the figures for them.

Robert Coe

Apr 8, 2007, 4:04:58 PM4/8/07
On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 08:27:17 -0400, ASAAR <cau...@22.com> wrote:

Er.... I think the point is that "the overall camera market" could be
construed to include cameras embedded in cell phones. ;^)

Bob

ASAAR

Apr 8, 2007, 4:36:43 PM4/8/07
On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 16:04:58 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:

> : > Probably Nokia. :-)
> :
> : Probably not, unless Nokia has been behind the manufacture of SLRs
> : for Pentax, Sigma and possibly other unidentified companies. :)
>
> Er.... I think the point is that "the overall camera market" could be
> construed to include cameras embedded in cell phones. ;^)

Possibly, but the overall market is much more extensive than DSLR
manufacturers and Nokia. Those who "shipped the rest", ie all
cameras other than DSLRs includes many more manufacturers than
Nokia. It includes many P&S manufacturers such as Casio, Kodak,
Sanyo, Ricoh, HP, Kyocera, Benq and (shudder) Bell & Howell and the
manufacturers of the disposable digital cameras. But there still
wasn't enough information given for an answer such as "Nokia" to
make any sense, since the total number shipped referred only to
DSLRs, not the overall market (for which the numbers shipped was not
given), and I'm not aware that Nokia has ever produced DSLRs. "Who
shipped the rest?" would make sense if the total number of all types
of cameras shipped was stated, and then the list would be quite
long, and Nokia would just be one among many companies, not *the*
company that "shipped the rest". Still, Joan@home can construe what
she meant any way she wants, and is doing just that. :)

Matt Clara

Apr 8, 2007, 7:21:58 PM4/8/07

> On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 22:39:56 +1000, Joan wrote:
>
>> Depends on the question, which wasn't specific. If the question was
>> about camera sales then my answer is appropriate. If it was about
>> SLRs then Sachin Garg's answer is appropriate.
>>

> You got that wrong - look at the subject line . It specifically mentions
> slr. How much more specific can you get?

I agree that Joan's comment was probably misplaced, but if you read the
thread you see there is a comment about "overall camera market" and then
compact sales. Considering the subject line and what the individual had
been discussing prior to his overall camera market comment, one could infer
that he meant the overall dslr market; however, that's not guaranteed, nor
is there any need to talk down to Joan over what may or may not be a
misplaced comment considering the non-specific language.

--
www.mattclara.com

gerrit

Apr 9, 2007, 6:04:22 AM4/9/07
It all seems very simple to me if you just logically read from the topic
through the body of the original post, which I have reproduced hereunder:

"Came across some interesting figures when looking for what to
purchase.

"Total 5.3 million SLRs shipped in 2006, 39% growth over last year.

"Canon shipped 2.46 million, 31% growth over last year. Nikon made 1.74
million shipments, 36 percent growth. Sony made 326,000 SLR shipments
in 2006. Samsung and Panasonic shipped 43,000 and 36,000 SLRs,
respectively.

"The overall camera market grew 15 percent to 105.7 million in 2006.
The compact market grew 14 percent to 100.4 million."

This is what it says:

Total Cameras sold 2005 91.9 million 2006 105.7 million
Compact cameras sold 2005 88.1 million 2006 100.4 million

dSLR cameras sold 2005 3.8 million 2006 5.3
million
Canon dSLRs sold 2005 1.9 million 2006 2.46
million
Nikon dSLRs sold 2005 1.3 million 2006 1.74
million
Sony dSLRs sold 2005 nil 2006 0.33
million
Samsung dSLRs sold 2005 nil 2006 0.043
million
Panasonic dSLRs sold 2005 nil 2006 0.036
million
OTHER dSLRs sold 2005 0.6 million 2006 0.691 million

The figures under OTHER are distorted because Sony took over the Minolta
stable. From the figures supplied it cannot be calculated.

Gerrit

DJB

Apr 9, 2007, 2:56:12 PM4/9/07
On Apr 8, 12:28 pm, Spam THis <dev/null> wrote:
> The stats seem to miss Pentax, and Olympus that are bigger players in
> the dSLR market than Panasonic's overpriced rebadged Olympus and Samsung

What, you didn't mention Sigma? ;)