20D NAILS IT!

Annika1980

Aug 30, 2006, 12:46:08 AM8/30/06

Gerrit 't Hart

Aug 30, 2006, 3:28:29 AM8/30/06

"Annika1980" <annik...@aol.com> wrote in message
news:1156913168....@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com...

> You can always count on the 20D to nail the shot!
>
> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/65953942
> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/65953988

Why the sudden plethora of long-necked birds?
And why couldn't a different camera have got a similar (if not better) shot?

Gerrit

Annika1980

Aug 30, 2006, 8:54:49 AM8/30/06

Gerrit 't Hart wrote:

> > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/65953942
> > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/65953988
> >

> Why the sudden plethora of long-necked birds?

I don't shoot all long-necked birds .... just the ones with spikes
through their throats.

> And why couldn't a different camera have got a similar (if not better) shot?

Don't know. I've never seen shots of long-necked birds with spikes
thorugh their throats taken with better cameras.

Joan

Aug 30, 2006, 9:03:18 AM8/30/06
Is anyone doing anything about the spike?

--
Joan

"Annika1980" <annik...@aol.com> wrote in message

:

:

Jer

Aug 30, 2006, 9:33:05 AM8/30/06
Joan wrote:
> Is anyone doing anything about the spike?

I don't think so, likely for the same reason nobody is doing anything
about the shrapnel lodged in my neck - it causes no additional harm to
leave it alone, but is likely very harmful to remove it.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Annika1980

Aug 30, 2006, 10:49:01 AM8/30/06

Joan wrote:
> Is anyone doing anything about the spike?

No.

There are two options that have been considered.

1. Leave the bird alone and let nature take it's course. The spike
doesn't seem to bother the bird at all, and it should eventually work
it's way out on it's own.

2. Try to capture the bird and remove the spike. This would prove
quite difficult and would probably traumatize the bird as well as
possibly seriously wounding it further in the attempt. How would one
catch a wild bird, anyway? I suppose they'd have to shoot it with a
tranquilizer gun, but then they'd have to hope the bird didn't fly up
in a tree where it could fall to it's death or where it would be
difficult to retrieve.

I suppose if I had the time and lotsa little fish, I could eventually
train Spike to come to me like I did Harry the Hawk.

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/61262554

JimKramer

Aug 30, 2006, 5:23:29 PM8/30/06

How about a shortneck bird with a starfish leg through its throat, same
camera, better lens?

http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/seafish.htm

Jim

gre

Aug 31, 2006, 10:52:57 AM8/31/06
how did you put the spike through its throat????

JimKramer

Aug 30, 2006, 6:09:12 PM8/30/06

They both did it to themselves:
The heron probably mistook the shiny nail as a fish.
The seagull was just in too much of a hurry to eat.

Jim

Bill K

Aug 30, 2006, 7:19:58 PM8/30/06

I respectfully submit that it's the person behind the camera who nailed
it as opposed to the camera. Well done and thanks for sharing. I guess
I'm going to have to get up early some morning and sit out on the dock
to catch with resident Great Blue Heron with the D200.
Cheers
--
Bill in Lake Charles LA USA

Cynicor

Aug 30, 2006, 10:54:17 PM8/30/06

Needs a thought bubble. "I feel like SUCH a tool."

Mark˛

Aug 31, 2006, 4:20:17 AM8/31/06

Surely you didn't miss the pun...regarding the ACTUAL NAIL sticking out of
this fellows throat...
?

www.pbase.com/markuson

Annika1980

Aug 31, 2006, 1:35:54 PM8/31/06

Annika1980 wrote:
> Joan wrote:
> > Is anyone doing anything about the spike?
>
> No.
>
> There are two options that have been considered.
>
> 1. Leave the bird alone and let nature take it's course. The spike
> doesn't seem to bother the bird at all, and it should eventually work
> it's way out on it's own.
>
> 2. Try to capture the bird and remove the spike. This would prove
> quite difficult and would probably traumatize the bird as well as
> possibly seriously wounding it further in the attempt. How would one
> catch a wild bird, anyway? I suppose they'd have to shoot it with a
> tranquilizer gun, but then they'd have to hope the bird didn't fly up
> in a tree where it could fall to it's death or where it would be
> difficult to retrieve.

As a followup, a TWRA (Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency) truck pulled
up in front of our offices about an hour ago. After the guys went
across the street for barbeque, I asked them into my office and showed
them some pics of Spike. They agreed that trying to capture the bird
would only traumatize it and they agreed with option #1 above.

Joan

Aug 31, 2006, 7:59:57 PM8/31/06
Interesting, I would have thought they'd be capable of catching and
releasing wildlife. From what we see and hear about, it happens
frequently all over the world.

--
Joan

"Annika1980" <annik...@aol.com> wrote in message

:
:
: As a followup, a TWRA (Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency) truck

:

Message has been deleted

Matt Clara

Aug 31, 2006, 10:51:52 PM8/31/06
"Mark˛" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message

> Bill K wrote:
>> Annika1980 wrote:
>>> You can always count on the 20D to nail the shot!
>>>
>>> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/65953942
>>> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/65953988
>>
>> I respectfully submit that it's the person behind the camera who
>> nailed it as opposed to the camera. Well done and thanks for sharing.
>> I guess I'm going to have to get up early some morning and sit out on
>> the dock to catch with resident Great Blue Heron with the D200.
>> Cheers
>
> Surely you didn't miss the pun...regarding the ACTUAL NAIL sticking out of
> this fellows throat...
> ?

Yeah, he has no taste _and_ he's dense.

--
Regards,
Matt Clara

Message has been deleted

Mark˛

Sep 1, 2006, 1:06:19 AM9/1/06

Turn the oven UP a bit, and the timer DOWN, and I'm sure he'll be tasty and
tender next time...
:)

Mark˛

Sep 1, 2006, 1:08:42 AM9/1/06
Joan wrote:
> Interesting, I would have thought they'd be capable of catching and
> releasing wildlife. From what we see and hear about, it happens
> frequently all over the world.

Who said they were "incapable"??
They merely said (and I agree) that catching it could well introduce new
damage.
Birds don't tend to sit idly by while you grab them. -They flail
away...having no idea that there's actually a large metal thingy sticking
out of their throat, and what they should/shouldn't do as they panick.

Mark˛

Sep 1, 2006, 1:25:16 AM9/1/06
Mark˛ wrote:
> Joan wrote:
>> Interesting, I would have thought they'd be capable of catching and
>> releasing wildlife. From what we see and hear about, it happens
>> frequently all over the world.
>
> Who said they were "incapable"??
> They merely said (and I agree) that catching it could well introduce
> new damage.
> Birds don't tend to sit idly by while you grab them. -They flail
> away...having no idea that there's actually a large metal thingy
> sticking out of their throat, and what they should/shouldn't do as
> they panick.

Oops.
Make that, "panic."
:)

Bill Funk

Sep 1, 2006, 2:17:01 PM9/1/06
On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 23:15:58 -0400, Bill <bill@c.a> wrote:

>Matt Clara wrote:
>
>>Yeah, he has no taste _and_ he's dense.
>

>The bird...?
>
>:-)

No, the bird has taste; they taste like chicken. :-)
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Frank ess

Sep 1, 2006, 6:56:50 PM9/1/06
Bill Funk wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 23:15:58 -0400, Bill <bill@c.a> wrote:
>
>> Matt Clara wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah, he has no taste _and_ he's dense.
>>
>> The bird...?
>>
>> :-)
>
> No, the bird has taste; they taste like chicken. :-)

Not exactly: they taste _a lot_ like chicken.

--
Frank ess

Rich

Sep 1, 2006, 8:20:59 PM9/1/06