What Kind of Dog is That?

gretchen_a._turner

May 6, 1994, 8:34:13 AM5/6/94
ALI...@MAINE.MAINE.EDU writes:
[stuff deleted to save bandwidth]

>To people who don't recognize Belgian Tervuren,
>may appear to be part or all wild critter (coyote or wolf, etc.).
>While hiking in the White Mountains with my dogs (on lead of
>course), I've actually had people squeak "Look, a wolf!"

This leads me to ask the question, for what other breeds do
people mistake your dogs?

I have had people ask if our chocolate Lab is a Cocker Spaniel
and a Rottweiler. Luckily, some people don't even try to
guess and just ask "What kind of dog is that?" I bet there
have been some really interesting guesses on some of the less
familiar breeds!

Gretchen, Harper (Rottweiler? There was another Rottweiler
there in class when this woman asked! I have a tail like a
baseball bat!), & Volpert (everyone recognizes a black Lab!)

John Stomieroski

May 6, 1994, 9:52:44 AM5/6/94
In article <1994May6.0...@inet.d48.lilly.com>, Gretchen A. Turner writes:
|> ALI...@MAINE.MAINE.EDU writes:
|> [stuff deleted to save bandwidth]
|>
|> >To people who don't recognize Belgian Tervuren,
|> >may appear to be part or all wild critter (coyote or wolf, etc.).
|> >While hiking in the White Mountains with my dogs (on lead of
|> >course), I've actually had people squeak "Look, a wolf!"
|>
|> This leads me to ask the question, for what other breeds do
|> people mistake your dogs?

Breeds?!? Try species. I have a schipperke and I've had people
tell me they thought it was a cat, a fox and a piglet on different
occasions!!!

--
John & Robin

Toby and Cleo, Am. SH Tabbies from NVHS
Maggie, stray Calico
Sable, Schipperke, our newest family member.
STILL waiting for those AKC papers!

jo...@marcam.com, st...@aol.com

Rhonda Paprocki

May 6, 1994, 10:14:48 AM5/6/94
jo...@marcam.com (John Stomieroski) writes:
: Breeds?!? Try species. I have a schipperke and I've had people

: tell me they thought it was a cat, a fox and a piglet on different
: occasions!!!
:
: --
: John & Robin
:
: Toby and Cleo, Am. SH Tabbies from NVHS
: Maggie, stray Calico
: Sable, Schipperke, our newest family member.
: STILL waiting for those AKC papers!
:

Well, occasionally people do call our great dane a *horse*. And
I do call him a cow when he's standing on my foot. But it's surprising
how many people have no idea what he is.

Rhonda & Zeus the great dane puppy

Craig B. Foltz

May 6, 1994, 10:43:14 AM5/6/94
In article 17...@inet.d48.lilly.com, Gretchen A. Turner () writes:

>This leads me to ask the question, for what other breeds do
>people mistake your dogs?

When Roxy the Bulldog was about 4.5 months old and looked a lot like
Stripe from the movie "Gremlins," I had her with me at one of my
daughter's soccer games. A teenaged boy was transfixed by her. After
watching her for a while he came up and said "Wow, sir, she's really
cool! She's a dog, right?"

---
Craig Foltz cfo...@as.arizona.edu
Multiple Mirror Telescope Observatory Tel: (602) 621-1269
Univ. of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721 Fax: (602) 670-5740
"Quasars! We've got quasars! We've got lots and lots of quasars!"

Mary Healey

May 6, 1994, 10:55:57 AM5/6/94

Gretchen A. Turner writes:
>This leads me to ask the question, for what other breeds do
>people mistake your dogs?

"Are those pitbulls?"

No, they're Australian Cattle Dogs. I've never seen an orange
"pitbull" (AmStaff, APBT, Mastiff, etc.) (True, I call Noah
"little piggy-eyed pitbull face" as a term of endearment, but that
doesn't mean anything!)

"Australian Shepherds?" No, CATTLE DOGS - not SHEEP dogs. Might as
well mistake them for Australian Terriers.
--
Mary and the Ames (Iowa, USA) National Zoo:
Raise a Fund ("Regis", 9yo TB)

Leslie Beck

May 6, 1994, 1:53:30 PM5/6/94

Because my German Sheperd mix is so beautiful, I often get asked
what kind of dog she is. My favorite was when a sweet little old
lady asked what *make* of dog she was.

Leslie (and Marlee)

aimee surprenant

May 6, 1994, 1:27:31 PM5/6/94
In article <2qdl22$n...@news.CCIT.Arizona.EDU> fo...@as.arizona.edu writes:
>In article 17...@inet.d48.lilly.com, Gretchen A. Turner () writes:
>>
>>This leads me to ask the question, for what other breeds do
>>people mistake your dogs?

Lots of people think Rumpole looks like a little deer.
He's fawn colored and the greyhounds have such a long
snout it's easy to understand.

-Aimee

Amy Moormann Zaremski

May 6, 1994, 1:58:49 PM5/6/94
In article <1994May6.0...@inet.d48.lilly.com> Gretchen A. Turner writes:

This leads me to ask the question, for what other breeds do
people mistake your dogs?

Well, at least people usually do guess that my basset, Raleigh
is a dog. However, so many people have said "ooh, look at the
weiner dog" that I'm tempted to get a T-shirt made that says
"no, he's not a wiener dog..." on the front and
"... he's a Hush Puppy dog" on the back.

Then we've had at least two people who were convinced he was
a Pit Bull (at least one of them was serious...)

Amy and Raleigh, who doesn't care what people think he is, as long as
he gets a pig ear...

----------
Amy Moormann Zaremski
am...@cs.cmu.edu

Mary Healey

May 6, 1994, 12:31:55 PM5/6/94
fo...@as.arizona.edu (Craig B. Foltz) writes:

>In article 17...@inet.d48.lilly.com, Gretchen A. Turner () writes:
>>
>>This leads me to ask the question, for what other breeds do
>>people mistake your dogs?
>
>When Roxy the Bulldog was about 4.5 months old and looked a lot like
>Stripe from the movie "Gremlins," I had her with me at one of my
>daughter's soccer games. A teenaged boy was transfixed by her. After
>watching her for a while he came up and said "Wow, sir, she's really
>cool! She's a dog, right?"

Noah is 16 months old, and he *still* looks like Stripe from
Gremlins! (I think the look is permanent - I *know* the attitude
is!)

Maria Gr|nberg

May 6, 1994, 3:30:07 PM5/6/94
When we meet new people they usually point on my Malamute/Siberian-mix
and say:
"Oh, what a beautiful Siberian Husky!"
And then on my Alaskan Malamute:
"But what kind of mix is that? Husky and Collie? An Alaskan Mmm....what???"
Honestly, I do try to speak very clearly...

//Maria - Zilba the Mix
Rani the Mal

___ __ ______ ___ ______ ___ __ ___ ___ ________ _______
/ \/ \ / __ \ / /\ / __ \ / \/ \ / /\/ //__ __// ____/\
/ /\_/ // /_/ // / / / /_/ // /\_/ // / / / / / / // ___/\\/
/ / // // __ // /_maria....@umdac.umu.se_/ / / / / // /___\/
/__/ //__//__/ /__//_______//__/ /__//__/ //__//_______/ / /__/ //_______/\
\__\/ \__\\__\/\__\\_______\\__\/\_http://doll.umdc.umu.se/Northern.html_\/

Tamara D. Hicks

May 6, 1994, 1:51:10 PM5/6/94

Quite often, when I take Heidi the wonderbeagle walking, people ask me if
she's a basset; I'm not sure why, because to me she looks nothing like
one. I think, however, that people think of a smaller dog size in relation to
beagles...but Heidi is of the largest variety and is 100% beagle.

Tamara

Laura Johnson

May 6, 1994, 4:44:35 PM5/6/94
Pippin is a GSD/Something mix: we were told Lab but we think really
Husky. I was walking him the other night when a neighbor called down
from her yard: "Nice dog! Is he a police dog?" Rather puzzled, wondering
how she'd gotten the impression that I or my husband was with the
police force, I answered "No." "Oh! Then what kind is he?" she asked,
to which I stammered out "Uh, he's a mix."

At that point I remembered that I have heard "police dog" used as a
synonym for "German shepherd" a few times in the past. I thought she
was inquiring his profession, not his breed.

On the way home I came up with the answer I should have given:
"Nice dog! Is he a police dog?"
"No, he's a dog of leisure."

Tracy Smith

May 6, 1994, 4:32:48 PM5/6/94
Mary Healey (A1....@ISUMVS.IASTATE.EDU) wrote:

: "Australian Shepherds?" No, CATTLE DOGS - not SHEEP dogs. Might as

: well mistake them for Australian Terriers.
: --

Yes! No matter how many times I say Cattle Dogs, the person always
says "Shepherd" right back to me SIGH.

But at least some people here out west know about Heelers & can identify
Karoo, poor Impi has to put up with "Akita?" "Keeshond?" "GShepherd mix"
"Husky mix".... the only time anyone comes up with the right answer,
Norwegian Elkhound, is that they had one as a kid.

And if I tell them I have an Elkhound and he's not there to see, they say,
Oh a HUGE dog... No, NOT an Irish Wolfhound, ELKHound!
Still, I'm glad they aren't popular!

Tracy Lorraine Smith Mom to Impi and Karoo

Kathy Nicklas-Varraso

May 6, 1994, 4:29:03 PM5/6/94

My favorite: What's That?

Me: This is Buckie, He's a Cairn Terrier.

Any Old Dope: Is that some kind of DOG?

Me: Usually. Cairn Terriers are the same kind of dog as Toto in the
Wizard of Oz.

Dope: Well, sure looks like a rat to me.

Me: Why, thank you.

Yes, of course, I'd be walking a rat on a leash in Boston. (Heavy Sarcasm)
And before I get a thousand emails from people telling that rats are great
pets and can be trained to walk on a leash, etc. I'm sure they're
just wonderful, but Buckie (and now Sophie) is a dog.

Although I do Sophie Rat-Dog for fun sometimes, especially when she's
wet!

Kathy Nicklas-Varraso
kat...@world.std.com

Judy Hancock

May 6, 1994, 7:27:22 PM5/6/94
People often see our Great Pyrenees and want to know if it's a white
Newfoundland.

Cindy Tittle Moore

May 6, 1994, 7:04:45 PM5/6/94
Gretchen A. Turner writes:

>ALI...@MAINE.MAINE.EDU writes:
>[stuff deleted to save bandwidth]

>>To people who don't recognize Belgian Tervuren,
>>may appear to be part or all wild critter (coyote or wolf, etc.).
>>While hiking in the White Mountains with my dogs (on lead of
>>course), I've actually had people squeak "Look, a wolf!"

>This leads me to ask the question, for what other breeds do
>people mistake your dogs?

>I have had people ask if our chocolate Lab is a Cocker Spaniel
>and a Rottweiler.

Aren't people funny about chocolate labs? ;-) I've had people think
she was a Weimaraner (understandable, she has light yellow eyes), a
GSP (understandable, she's leanly built for a lab), a Golden (!), and
a Siberian Husky (!!!!).

OTOH, my yellow lab is a lab, a "golden lab", or a Golden...

--Cindy
--
Cindy Tittle Moore tit...@netcom.com PO Box 4188, Irvine, CA 92716
Waggery Labradors: Terrell's Chocolate Deduction CGC--Hershe

* Read the weekly FAQ article to find out how to get the FAQs by ftp or email! *

ROS...@univscvm.csd.scarolina.edu

May 6, 1994, 8:15:31 PM5/6/94
At least most of your dogs get mistaken for other breeds...My black chows
terrified some other campers this past month who thought they were bears!

R.davis

Nancy Fish

May 6, 1994, 4:30:11 PM5/6/94
In article <1994May6.0...@inet.d48.lilly.com>, Gretchen A. Turner writes:
|> ALI...@MAINE.MAINE.EDU writes:
|> [stuff deleted to save bandwidth]

[ more stuff deleted]

|> This leads me to ask the question, for what other breeds do
|> people mistake your dogs?

Last summer, within the same week, my German Shorthair was called a
Dalmatian by two differnt groups of kids. Of course, to a kid, any
dog with spots is a Dal, but it was pretty funny. "Hey Mommy, look
at the dalmatian!" and "Hey look! A firedog!"

Nancy and Sam(GSP, aka Sparky the Firedog)
and Tisha(Mutt Puppy)

Nancy Fish Mayo Foundation
ho...@mayo.edu Rochester, MN 55901

Richard M. Macheske

May 7, 1994, 12:23:42 AM5/7/94
Jaxon, my black lab! is mistaken for a PIT BULL. Is that a
pit bull? No, but he wants a kiss! What can you say? He
may be a little short for a lab but he definitely doesen't
look like a AmStaff!
Rick owned by Casey (the hybrid) and Jaxon (the Pit lab)

Marouse

May 7, 1994, 10:49:06 AM5/7/94

[All kinds of previous stuff deleted]

Our favorite personal experience with mistaken doggie identity happened as we
were heading back to the parking lot at an urban dog show with one of our
Norwich Terriers - who'd just won a four point major so we were pretty sure she
was looking like a proper NT. {-;. A man asked us in a ernestness if she was
a poodle.

We have also been asked if our champion NT male is a cat. Fortunately Jake
isn't easily offended.

But as others have said, we're really glad this breed isn't overly popular.

/M

Truly Donovan

May 7, 1994, 1:26:17 PM5/7/94
When I got tired of explaining to people that Zipper, with his prognathous jaw
and lousy coat, was a mutt of largely terrier persuasion, I started
responding to "What kind of a dog is that?" with "He's a San Jose Red
Terrier." People nodded as if to say, "I knew that all along; I was just
making sure."

Truly Donovan, now owned by Molly, a certified West Highland White Terrier

cjcl...@cruzio.com

May 7, 1994, 6:10:57 PM5/7/94

People often (read daily) ask what kind of dog Cody is. I tell them
that he is a Rhodesian Ridgeback. A hound dog from Africa. They
will stroke their hand down his back and ask "Why do they call him
a Ridgeback?". This always amazes me...I suppose that after several
months of it I should be used to it.......but there it is....his back
has a "ridge" on it! Go figure!!!
Jay, Carol and Cody

Eric J. Storch

May 8, 1994, 6:49:02 PM5/8/94

Upon occasion, my wife and I have been asked if our Collie (full grown) is
actually a Sheltie. We try not to laugh too hard while we're saying "No,
she is a full grown Collie." I guess eveyone expects to see a female the
size of the male that played "Lassie" on TV. Ah, non-dog people. Whatever
are we to do with them?
ejs, des, and the wrecking crew

--
/-----------------------------------+-----------------------------------------\
| Eric J. Storch |"History is on the move, Captain. Those |

Michelle Duncan

May 9, 1994, 6:14:58 AM5/9/94
In article 17...@inet.d48.lilly.com, Gretchen A. Turner () writes:

>This leads me to ask the question, for what other breeds do
>people mistake your dogs?

Scout is a smooth collie (blue merle in color) and he's usually mistaken
for an aussie shepherd mix. We have even had a few people guess greyhound
(oh pleeze!) and aussie. ugh! My favorite is when they ask "What kind
of mix is that?" and I tell them he isn't a mix, he's a purebred smooth
collie they say "Really? *I've* never heard of that." I still haven't
come up with a snappy response to that one.

It always knocks my socks off when someone correctly identifies him
though...

---

Michelle 'micki' Duncan * mi...@novell.com * Novell Information Services

Proud member of Northern California Collie Rescue
Remember...
There are no bad dogs - only bad owners

Donna Holsten

May 9, 1994, 4:12:01 AM5/9/94
My now-husband-then-boyfriend and I used to go to school at UC Santa
Barbara. On campus, there's a lagoon with a jogging path around it. (The
lagoon is right next to the ocean, but isn't actually connected.) We used
to let Calvin (the Rottweiler) go swimming in the lagoon. One time, a man
was jogging along, and stopped and stared at Calvin swimming in the
lagoon. (Only Calvin's head was above the water.) When Calvin got out of
the water and shook himself off, the man started laughing and said, "I
thought that he was a sea lion! But I couldn't figure out how it got into
the lagoon..."

Donna (and Calvin the sea lion)

Kelly Cassidy

May 9, 1994, 11:11:24 AM5/9/94

Everyone recognizes a poodle, right? Nope. Everyone recognizes
a miniature poodle with a pom-pom on its tail. Most people
do recognize my standard as a poodle. (Look, Tommy! That's a big
poodle!) However, he has a 'water spaniel' cut, i.e., an even
length all over except for a shaved face and feet. Many people
ask if he's a water spaniel. The wildest guesses I've heard
were an Airedale and a Bedlington terrier.

Kelly Cassidy
Washington Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit
Mail Stop WH-10
University of Washington, Seattle

DJ

May 9, 1994, 10:15:11 AM5/9/94
In article <2qe5rv$n...@news.umu.se>, m...@umdc.umu.se (Maria Gr|nberg) writes:
> When we meet new people they usually point on my Malamute/Siberian-mix
> and say:
> "Oh, what a beautiful Siberian Husky!"
> And then on my Alaskan Malamute:
> "But what kind of mix is that? Husky and Collie? An Alaskan Mmm....what???"
> Honestly, I do try to speak very clearly...
>
> //Maria - Zilba the Mix
> Rani the Mal

*snicker* I know the feeling, Maria! Everyone thinks Our Mal is
a Husky, which is, of course, an understandable mistake... :)

However:
Last night, my SO and I were walking Scotty the GSD, and Alex
the Mal through the neighborhood, and a little 3 year old boy,
who was out in his yard with his mom, ran to the edge of the
yard, stopped, and asked "Can I pet your wolf?" Considering
Alex outwieghed him by probably a good 30 pounds, and was
taller(!), the mother became appropriately concerned and told
him maybe he shouldn't. We explained that Alex was a very
friendly, well-behaved Alaskan Malamute, and the boy was welcome
to pet him. Alex sat calmly (yea! I was proud!) while the boy
petted him, and we congratulated the mom for teaching her son to
ask before he ran up and started petting an unfamiliar dog. She
was proud, too... :)

ma...@austin.ibm.com

May 9, 1994, 9:33:19 AM5/9/94
I'm glad I'm not the only one who invariable says "Australian Cattle
Dog" and gets "Aussie Shepherd" in response. And if they don't *say*
"Shepherd", they describe it, along the lines of, "Oh, yea, I have
a friend who has one, only his hair is longer and he has blue eyes!"

With my two, Rogan being a little large with floppy ears I usually get,
"Wait a minute, they are the same breed?! No way" Rogan is blue speckled,
Chase is a puppy and darker red....

Marci Tenpas
and the Austin ACDs

Daryl Enstone

May 9, 1994, 12:10:16 PM5/9/94
Gretchen A. Turner writes:

>This leads me to ask the question, for what other breeds do
>people mistake your dogs?

People are pretty inventive with Kerry Blue terriers, too. We've had
poodle, Schnauzer, Scottie, Airedale, poodle x Airedale and Portuguese water
dog. The door-to-door canvasser for the Toronto Humane Soc, thought Pippin
was a Scottie x Airedale.

Person walking Wheaten Terrier: "Oh look, same dog different colour!"

Several other people: "What's that?... A Caribou terrier?" (guess my
enunciation isn't up to speed)

:-)
Daryl
Kerry Rescue and Relocation (Canada)
&
Pippin and Spring, the Caribou terriers
Daryl Enstone

Dena Delgado

May 9, 1994, 7:04:58 AM5/9/94
One day, I was walking with Kristofer in the parking lot outside Home Depot,
(do-it-yourself supply super-store) and this guy comes up to us as says,
"Is that there one of them wiener dogs?"

I say, "It's called a Dachshund."

He says, "It sure does resemble a wiener dog though" as he walks away.

Dena Delgado (a.k.a. the dachshund lady) :-)

A. Steven Wayne

May 9, 1994, 12:52:45 PM5/9/94
wrote:

> ALI...@MAINE.MAINE.EDU writes:
> [stuff deleted to save bandwidth]
>

> >To people who don't recognize Belgian Tervuren,
> >may appear to be part or all wild critter (coyote or wolf, etc.).
> >While hiking in the White Mountains with my dogs (on lead of
> >course), I've actually had people squeak "Look, a wolf!"
>

> This leads me to ask the question, for what other breeds do
> people mistake your dogs?

I find it amazing the number of people who ask if my giant schnauzer is a
scotty; but even funnier: About 20 years ago I had a Lhasa Apso and an
Afghan, both gold and people would continually ask me if the Afghan was the
Lhasa's mother. Somehow, I kept a straight face and told them it was the
other way around (both dogs were about 7b months old.)
The other thing with the afghan was a lot of people actually believed me
when I told them it was a new breed, a Poboon, a cross between a pony and a
baboon.

Dianne Schoenberg

May 9, 1994, 3:31:10 PM5/9/94
>This leads me to ask the question, for what other breeds do
>people mistake your dogs?

K.C. (tawny Briard with cropped ears): Bouvier (*all* the time, even by
people who own Bouvs!), Old English Sheepdog, Bearded Collie, Puli,
Komondor, Irish Wolfhound, Saint Bernard, bear, horse, and of course
there's always the ever-popular "what kind of mix is he?" (I hasten to
add that he's a good representative of the breed, or at least I've
been told so by a number of conformation judges!)

Chloe (Old English Sheepdog): usually she gets called "Sheepdog" or
"Oh! it's the dog from 'The Shaggy DA!'" but she's also been accused
on occasion of being a Bearded Collie. The funniest guesses where
when I first got her, when she was half-starved and had to have been
shaved to the skin due to previous neglect; poor skinny little thing
was mistaken for a Bedlington Terrier, an Airedale and a Whippet.

Dianne & the shaggy sheepdogs
(neither of whom resembles a Whippet any longer!)

Laurie Adams

May 9, 1994, 3:43:06 PM5/9/94
In article <2qdjco$3...@VTC.TACOM.Army.Mil>, papr...@vtc.tacom.army.mil (Rhonda Paprocki) writes:
|> jo...@marcam.com (John Stomieroski) writes:
|> : Breeds?!? Try species. I have a schipperke and I've had people
|> : tell me they thought it was a cat, a fox and a piglet on different
|> : occasions!!!
|>
|> Well, occasionally people do call our great dane a *horse*. And
|> I do call him a cow when he's standing on my foot. But it's surprising
|> how many people have no idea what he is.
|>
|> Rhonda & Zeus the great dane puppy

-- Well, there was email waiting for me this morning, someone from RPD who had
seen me mention "Cattle Witout Hooves" in my closing, but not the next line, the
top line of the sigfile, that starts with the name of the breed. He asked what
kind of dogs I have... (Not to worry, if I drove a motorcycle 55 mph all the way
to work, it would probably blow MY brains out too!)

The best mistaken identity story I have about The Big Guys is the time I brought
a new adult male into the yarn shop downtown (very small town, obviously). The
woman who worked there loves dogs, and said "don't tell me what it it is, I know
it, I know it, --it's a MASTODON." I just about WMPL, and when I got my breath,
told her it was a mastiff, but she was so SURE she was right that she argued with
me for ten minutes! I don't think she ever believed me. Well, whattheh*ll, she
was CLOSE, wasn't she?

...laurie and the mastodons (Echo, Turner, Taylor, and Lexicon)

MASTIFFSgentleGIANTSloyalFUNNYdevotedSLOBBERYplayfulDOGNIFIEDcompanionableFUN
B LAURIE BROOKE ADAMS D
I These opinions are mine, not my employer's. I have enough of my own. O
G Dayphone (919) 990-9551 X115 Messages (919) 676-8320 G
* email: ad...@KMERL.Research.Panasonic.COM S
--gone to the dogs---gone to the dogs---gone to the dogs---gone to the dogs--

Jonathan Zamick

May 9, 1994, 4:39:43 PM5/9/94
Actually, while my smooth fox terrier George gets confused with a number of
other dogs, one of the more embarrasing encounters was when walking George I
met a couple with a dog, who didn't recognize George. When I pointed out he
was a smooth fox terrier, they happily replied theirs was a smooth fox terrier
too.

Looking at their dog, I was a bit dismayed because while it may have had a
bit of smooth fox blood in it, it was very much not a fox terrier. It was
short snouted, narrow chested, and kinda pug eyed. Also spotted, though that
can happen. Seems they bought the dog from a backyard breeder who told em it
was a fox terrier. The amusing part was not that, since I didn't have the
heart to tell them, I let them enjoy their dogs pedigree and complimented its
looks. As I was leaving, the male made a comment comparing George to their dog,
to which the woman responded 'Yeah, but his dog was cute.'

Poor dog and poor couple. At least the dog was cut so someday in a future
trip to NJ I wouldn't encounter the New Really Smooth Fox Terrier Club. Still
its a shame for folk who spend the money on a pure breed not to get what they
paid for.

(George the pitbull, spuds, beagle, jack russell, really really long nosed
fox terrier.. and proud of it too :)

Jon

Kathy Viaropulos

May 9, 1994, 3:05:46 PM5/9/94
In article <1994May6.0...@inet.d48.lilly.com>, Gretchen A. Turner writes:

|> I have had people ask if our chocolate Lab is a Cocker Spaniel

|> and a Rottweiler. Luckily, some people don't even try to
|> guess and just ask "What kind of dog is that?" I bet there
|> have been some really interesting guesses on some of the less
|> familiar breeds!

I often get asked if our cocker spaniel is a poodle, especially when
we let his topknot get long and curly. I guess he could look like
a poodle of sorts, one who's just been to the dentist and his lips
are floppy from novacaine.

I also had one poor soul ask if our cocker was a border collie! When
I asked why, he mentioned that our dog was black and white, and he'd
heard that border collies are black and white.

Kathy Viaropulos
IBM, Research Triangle Park, NC
email to: kat...@ralvm13.vnet.ibm.com

Bob Stewart

May 9, 1994, 1:22:40 PM5/9/94
With a Mastiff, people usually either haven't got a clue or ask if she's a
St. Bernard. Mostly they're awed by the size.

My favorite story along this line happened when I took Misha to visit my
grandmother at the old folk's home. I was walking down the aisle with Misha
on a short leash. An old lady strapped in a wheelchair looked at her and
held up her hands, saying, "Keep it away!" I held Misha away and said,
"She's very gentle." The old lady peered at her and tentatively held out a
hand. Misha barely moved her head in the hand's direction, mostly standing
very still. The old lady ended up petting Misha's big head and telling her
she was a good dog. Realize that standing straight, Misha's head came above
the arm of the lady's wheelchair, almost looking her straight in the face.

Actually the what-kind-of-dog story is the old man standing in the doorway in
the same hall. He looked at Misha and matter-of-factly said, "That a
mastiff?" "Yup," I said. "Thought so," he said. I still can't stop
grinning when I think about it.

Bob

G.E.Brookhart

May 9, 1994, 5:18:07 PM5/9/94
In article <2qm31u$d...@news.u.washington.edu> dia...@u.washington.edu (Dianne Schoenberg) writes:
>>This leads me to ask the question, for what other breeds do
>>people mistake your dogs?
>
>K.C. (tawny Briard with cropped ears): Bouvier (*all* the time, even by
> people who own Bouvs!), Old English Sheepdog, Bearded Collie, Puli,
> Komondor, Irish Wolfhound, Saint Bernard, bear, horse, and of course
> there's always the ever-popular "what kind of mix is he?" (I hasten to

Welcome to the club, Dianne!

Casey [hmm, even the names are similar, a black-brindle uncropped Bouvier
des Flandres bitch]; Briard (*all the time* from folks who should know
better), Labrador Retriever, "one-a them thar Rockwylers", Newfoundland,
and mutt

Toby and Reuben [the Airedale Terrier boys]: Irish Wolfhound, German
Shepherd Dog, Greyhound (*!*!*!*), Scottish Terrier, Pit Bull (double
YIKES!*!*!*!), and mutt

What is even more fun though is trying to describe your dog to
folks who have no idea of the breed. Ferinstance....

Airedale Terrier: Sort of like a German Shepherd with only
half a tail, a really wired attitude and lots of hair.

Bouvier des Flandres: I used to say like a Rottie with a bad hair
day but I have started using Paula Wheeler's phrase "unmade bed
of dogdom."

Gail

Stephanie, Library Office, 6124

May 9, 1994, 4:59:43 PM5/9/94
In article <1994May9.1...@novell.com>, mi...@ca.novell.com (Michelle Duncan) writes:
> In article 17...@inet.d48.lilly.com, Gretchen A. Turner () writes:
>>
>>This leads me to ask the question, for what other breeds do
>>people mistake your dogs?
>
> Scout is a smooth collie (blue merle in color) and he's usually mistaken
> for an aussie shepherd mix. We have even had a few people guess greyhound
> (oh pleeze!) and aussie. ugh! My favorite is when they ask "What kind
> of mix is that?" and I tell them he isn't a mix, he's a purebred smooth
> collie they say "Really? *I've* never heard of that." I still haven't
> come up with a snappy response to that one.
***************************

How about: "Well, he's never heard of *you* either."

Say "HI" to Scout for me - we co-own a Puli with the same name!

Stef

Dinko Gonzalez Trotter

May 9, 1994, 7:36:23 PM5/9/94
Almost nobody recognizes my long haired dachshund as such. Most people
think he is a mix of a smooth dachshund and some long-haired dog. Everybody
says he's pretty (and they are right!).
--
______________________
Dinko

di...@tunl.tunl.duke.edu

Michelle Lisk (TEMP)

May 9, 1994, 6:46:27 PM5/9/94
One of my favorites is when people ask us if our 2 dogs are either
mother and daughter or sisters. I can't help but laugh when they ask
since 1) they're not from the same litter or parents and 2) one is
male and the other is female! I tell them to check under Buddy's
hood. They're embarassed, but we all get a kick out of it. Geez,
I know he's neutered, but...!

Michelle and...

Buddy (I don't look like a girl. Just check)
Misha (I'm too pretty to be related to HIM!)

Stephanie, Library Office, 6124

May 9, 1994, 5:57:11 PM5/9/94
In article <2qm31u$d...@news.u.washington.edu>, dia...@u.washington.edu (Dianne Schoenberg) writes:
>>This leads me to ask the question, for what other breeds do
>>people mistake your dogs?
>
> K.C. (tawny Briard with cropped ears): Bouvier (*all* the time, even by
> people who own Bouvs!), Old English Sheepdog, Bearded Collie, Puli,
****

A *Puli?* A PULI?? How could they? I have lots of friends with both
Briards and Pulis, couldn't have been any of them......

> Komondor, Irish Wolfhound, Saint Bernard, bear, horse, and of course

********

Even more unbelievable. I had a Komondor-owning friend who swears
that she was asked, while standing with her 150 lb, 30-inch tall,
white, hugely corded dog, if he was a Pit Bull. Seriously.....

> there's always the ever-popular "what kind of mix is he?" (I hasten to
> add that he's a good representative of the breed, or at least I've
> been told so by a number of conformation judges!)
>
> Chloe (Old English Sheepdog): usually she gets called "Sheepdog" or
> "Oh! it's the dog from 'The Shaggy DA!'" but she's also been accused

If in England, you'd be asked if she was a Dulux dog. And she is! In
Canada the paint is sold as CIL Dulux, and they do use an OES, but to
a lesser extent than the English ads, which feature the dog quite
prominently. The English Dulux TV ads with the OES
are a riot - I saw one when vacationing there a couple of months ago
with the dog "singing" My Way through the ad. Unfortunately many years
of Dulux ads have made the breed very popular, to its detriment.

> on occasion of being a Bearded Collie. The funniest guesses where
> when I first got her, when she was half-starved and had to have been
> shaved to the skin due to previous neglect; poor skinny little thing
> was mistaken for a Bedlington Terrier, an Airedale and a Whippet.
>
> Dianne & the shaggy sheepdogs
> (neither of whom resembles a Whippet any longer!)

Pats to the big shaggies from my little ones!

Stef
and the Pulis (and the one old Komondor and the holder-of-grudges Skye
Terrier)

Beth Levine

May 9, 1994, 1:41:38 PM5/9/94
In article <1994May8.2...@claude.ma30.bull.com> er...@ma30.bull.com (Eric J. Storch) writes:
>From: er...@ma30.bull.com (Eric J. Storch)
>Subject: Re: What Kind of Dog is That?
Well, almost everybody (non-dog and dog people alike) thinks my greyhound
Sophie (58 pounds and 28" at the shoulder, thank you very much!) is a whippet.
This drives me crazy. For an ex-racer, I believe she is average size for a
female.

My other dog Haley is a mix, probably terrier (Jack Russell or Fox) and
sheltie - she looks like a short-haired sable/white sheltie with a terrier-
looking head. A lot of people ask me what kind of mix she is. One hysterical
mother (her kids were running up to pet the puppy) screamed "is she a pit
bull?!!!" Haley does NOT look anything like a pit bull, and I explained what
I thought her mix was, while Haley happily grinned and wagged at the kids. I
couldn't convince her that my obviously vicious ;-) dog was not a pit bull.

I think the funniest guess about Haley's genetic heritage came from someone at
the dog park who asked me if she was a Rhodesian Ridgeback. I'm sorry, but she
does not look ANYTHING like a Rhodesian Ridgeback. Never in a million years
could she be mistaken for one, yet she was. Honestly, what was that person
thinking?

Beth Levine
ble...@cclink.fhcrc.org
OR
ble...@u.washington.edu

Melissa Bruce

May 9, 1994, 6:35:40 PM5/9/94
In article 7...@world.std.com, kat...@world.std.com (Kathy Nicklas-Varraso) writes:

> My favorite: What's That?
>
> Me: This is Buckie, He's a Cairn Terrier.
>
> Any Old Dope: Is that some kind of DOG?
>
> Me: Usually. Cairn Terriers are the same kind of dog as Toto in the
> Wizard of Oz.
>
> Dope: Well, sure looks like a rat to me.
>
> Me: Why, thank you.
>
> Yes, of course, I'd be walking a rat on a leash in Boston. (Heavy Sarcasm)
> And before I get a thousand emails from people telling that rats are great
> pets and can be trained to walk on a leash, etc. I'm sure they're
> just wonderful, but Buckie (and now Sophie) is a dog.
>
> Although I do Sophie Rat-Dog for fun sometimes, especially when she's
> wet!
>
> Kathy Nicklas-Varraso
> kat...@world.std.com

You're a *lot* more polite than I am when people say anything
derogatory about my son - I mean dog. Most people thinks Brinks (my
Bullmastiff) is beautiful (those with taste anyway ;), but every once
in a while I run across someone who not only thinks he's unattractive
they have the NERVE to tell me so. (Some of you have heard this story
before) Once I was kneeling down, petting to Brinks outside of a
grocery store when this guy walked by and said, "Boy, that's a face
only a mother could love" to which I replied, "HEY! You're no prize
yourself, buddy!" The guy actually turned and looked at me like *I*
was being rude instead of just defending the honor of my loved one.

In your scenario, instead of "Why, thank you", I'd probably say something
like, "Well, to him you probably look like a ______" (fill in the blank
with the animal that most resembles the Dope, e.g. hippo, giraffe, bear,
warthog, moose, etc.) and see how they liked it.

Why is it that people assume since they think your dog is unattractive
that everyone else (including their owner) feels the same way and that
it's o.k. to say so? They wouldn't say that they thought your (human)
child was ugly and you don't get to choose what they look like the way
you choose a particular breed of dog.

Melissa

Loving Mom to Brinks the Beautiful Bullmastiff and
Mousse, the Beautiful (but-pain-in-the-behind) Abbyssinian

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
+ +
+ Lord grant me serenity to accept the things I cannot change, +
+ the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to +
+ hide the bodies of those people I had to kill because they +
+ pissed me off. +
+ +
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

Jason Perez

May 10, 1994, 12:12:07 AM5/10/94
suprisingly enough, i get asked the "What kind . . ." question
every so often about my purebred sable GSD. she's very lightly colored and
has only a smattering of black on her back, but does have a black
muzzle and definitely the body of a GSD. people say "I've never seen
a German Shepherd that color." or "Is that a White German Shepherd?",
which i answer no, WGSD's are (amazingly enough) all white.

--
Jason Perez | "Frodo Lives!" "Gig 'em!"
j0p...@tam2000.tamu.edu | Texas A&M Univ. - it's not just for

Kim Murphy

May 9, 1994, 7:05:58 PM5/9/94
"MD" == Michelle Duncan <mi...@ca.novell.com> writes:

MD> In article 17...@inet.d48.lilly.com, Gretchen A. Turner () writes:
>> This leads me to ask the question, for what other breeds do people
>> mistake your dogs?

MD> Scout is a smooth collie (blue merle in color) and he's usually
MD> mistaken for an aussie shepherd mix. We have even had a few people
MD> guess greyhound (oh pleeze!) and aussie. ugh! My favorite is when
MD> they ask "What kind of mix is that?" and I tell them he isn't a mix,
MD> he's a purebred smooth collie they say "Really? *I've* never heard
MD> of that." I still haven't come up with a snappy response to that
MD> one.

MD> It always knocks my socks off when someone correctly identifies him
MD> though...

I know what a smooth collie is. ;-) Our Belgian Sheepdog has been called
a Schipperke (when he was a puppy), a black GSD, and a Lab mix. As fate
would have it, I saw someone at a wine festival over the weekend and got
to tell them they had a Belgian. They found the dog and didn't have the
foggiest as to what he was. So it can work both ways.

The best misidentification of our dogs was our Lab/Aussie Shep
mix--black with white spots. Someone once asked if she was a
Dalmatian!! Go figure that one...

Kim

hst...@indyvax.iupui.edu

May 10, 1994, 12:31:36 AM5/10/94
In article <1994May9.1...@novell.com>, mi...@ca.novell.com (Michelle Duncan) writes:

>My favorite is when they ask "What kind
> of mix is that?" and I tell them he isn't a mix, he's a purebred smooth
> collie they say "Really? *I've* never heard of that." I still haven't
> come up with a snappy response to that one.

Piece of cake.... :-) (And, quite honestly, I don't know if the AKC
recognizes the smooth collie, but it doesn't matter because the nimnul to whom
you're speaking won't know the difference anyway... *grin* I'd go to check
out the May issue of Life where they have a 2-page spread with a tiny little
picture of all the breeds the AKC recognizes (taken during Westminster), but
it's in the folks' room and their in bed...)

10... "Good thing the American Kennel Club has then, I guess..."
9... "Oh, my God! Then he must not be one!"
8... "Well, obviously you don't know much about purebreds then."
7... "Gee, I'll tell you *all* about smooth, bearded and rough collies
then..." (and proceed to do so in *agonizing* detail)
6... "I'm sorry." (followed by a sweet, condescending smile)
5... "And your affiliation with the American Kennel Club is....??? "
4... "Have you heard of ..." (and proceed to list as many obscure breeds as
you possibly can)
3... "Well, not all collies can be Lassie."
2... "Uh oh. I've just given you top secret information and now I'm going
to have to kill you."

and the Number 1 snappy comeback is...

1... "I didn't know the AKC had to check with you before recognizing
breeds."

-Holly

Michelle Duncan

May 10, 1994, 4:25:30 AM5/10/94
In article 20...@adobe.com, ml...@adobe.com (Michelle Lisk (TEMP)) writes:
>One of my favorites is when people ask us if our 2 dogs are either
>mother and daughter or sisters.

I love this too!! We have three smooth collies in the family (all blue
merles) and I took them to the local pet store to have their picture
made together. More than once they were mistaken for father, mother,
and baby - but they had them all mixed up. They thought:

Father - Scout (who was only 1yr old, but was a good 3 inches taller than
the other male, Laddie, and weighed in at 70lbs at the time and is THIN!)
Mother - Laddie (this was tooo funny!!! since he's obviously a male)
Baby - Patches (who is Laddies litter mate - they are both 3 years old.)

The people turned a nice shade of red when I told them that Scout was
actually the baby of the group and that 'Mother' was actually the brother
of the 'baby'. :-) :-) :-)

Michelle Duncan

May 10, 1994, 6:16:35 AM5/10/94
In article c...@engnews2.Eng.Sun.COM, meli...@melby.Eng.Sun.COM (Melissa Bruce) writes:

>You're a *lot* more polite than I am when people say anything
>derogatory about my son - I mean dog. Most people thinks Brinks (my
>Bullmastiff) is beautiful (those with taste anyway ;), but every once
>in a while I run across someone who not only thinks he's unattractive
>they have the NERVE to tell me so.

Being the owner of a smooth collie has a couple of drawbacks - one of
them is dealing with insenstive jerks who feel the need to point out how
large Scouts nose is. The other is dealing with ignorant people who think
all collies have look like Lassie. grrrrr.

(the reality is that Scouts nose is no bigger than Lassies was/is - but
without all that fluff around the face, it just looks larger)

One day at the pet store I lost it. I've learned to deal with ignorant
people, and can usually ignore the insenstive ones, but not that day. This
woman had her husband and son with her and she looked over, pointed, and
said "Oh my GAWD, look at the HUGE nose on that dog!" Now - what I *reallY*
wanted to do was say "Have you looked at your BUTT lately?" but I was good.
I did say "Dogs are like people. All of them are different. Some have big
ears, some have long tails, some even have a 'spare tire' and a big butt.
I prefer to judge what is INSIDE instead of OUTSIDE." She looked at me like
I was a certifiable lunatic, but the cashier and I got a good laugh out of
it. :-)

Scout looked at me like "Way to go Mom!"

Judith L. Hardin

May 10, 1994, 10:54:30 AM5/10/94
In article <2qn1in$h...@news.tamu.edu>,

Jason Perez <j0p...@tam2000.tamu.edu> wrote:
> suprisingly enough, i get asked the "What kind . . ." question
>every so often about my purebred sable GSD. she's very lightly colored and
>has only a smattering of black on her back, but does have a black
>muzzle and definitely the body of a GSD. people say "I've never seen
>a German Shepherd that color." or "Is that a White German Shepherd?",
>which i answer no, WGSD's are (amazingly enough) all white.

My GSD is mostly black with silver trim, and I'm constantly surprised by how
many people have looked at her and asked, "Is she a German Shepherd?"
I can only surmise that (a) they're in doubt because she's not the standard
Rin-Tin-Tin tan with black saddle or (b) not everyone spends hours and hours
poring through Dog World, Dog Fancy, and books about breeds of dogs (though
I can't imagine why not!).
--
Judi Hardin | Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
ms...@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu | Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho

Karen J. Norteman

May 10, 1994, 10:32:49 AM5/10/94
(Dianne Schoenberg) writes:

>>This leads me to ask the question, for what other breeds do
>>people mistake your dogs?

>K.C. (tawny Briard with cropped ears): Bearded Collie...

>Chloe (Old English Sheepdog): usually she gets called "Sheepdog" or
> "Oh! it's the dog from 'The Shaggy DA!'" but she's also been accused
> on occasion of being a Bearded Collie

Lucky you, Dianne! :-) My Beardie never gets "identified" as a Beardie! He
has been called an Old English Sheepdog, the Shaggy DA, Barkley from "Sesame
Street" (even though he's a born black, not a brown).. but more often than
that, he's simply known as the "How can he see with all that hair?" dog.

--Karen and Duncan the Wonder Beardie

Tracy Smith

May 10, 1994, 11:44:01 AM5/10/94
ma...@austin.ibm.com wrote:
: I'm glad I'm not the only one who invariable says "Australian Cattle

And I'm glad to hear I don't have the only floppy eared ACD in existance.
Poor Roo gets "dissed" as an ACD because of her ears (she had problems with
her teeth as a puppy, I'm guessing it affected the ears as well). When she's
alert, she has "tipped" (Collie) ears, but when she's relaxed, her right
ear is totally flat (sigh). Same ear as my pet quality Norwegian Elkhound
I used to have, so I say I'm just fated to own floppy eared dogs :-). She's
also "mottled", which is the color that's more white with speckles, it's
unusual so not as accepted. But judging by the way she uses the teeth she
has on her surrogate cow (Impi the Elkhound), she's all ACD!!

Tracy Lorraine Smith Mom to Impi and Karoo

Michelle Duncan

May 10, 1994, 10:49:18 AM5/10/94
In article 5521@ivax, hst...@indyvax.iupui.edu () writes:

>Piece of cake.... :-) (And, quite honestly, I don't know if the AKC
>recognizes the smooth collie, but it doesn't matter because the nimnul to whom
>you're speaking won't know the difference anyway... *grin*

Its a recognized breed - well, actually they recognize Collies as a breed
and rough and smooth as varieties of the breed.

>I'd go to check out the May issue of Life where they have a 2-page spread with
>a tiny little picture of all the breeds the AKC recognizes (taken during
>Westminster)

The smooth at Westminster last year took 4th in the Herding group...

Your top 10 responses was priceless!! Here's my favs:

> 9... "Oh, my God! Then he must not be one!

> 6... "I'm sorry." (followed by a sweet, condescending smile)

> 2... "Uh oh. I've just given you top secret information and now I'm going
> to have to kill you."

Thanks for the list of responses! :)

Bob Stewart

May 10, 1994, 8:10:18 AM5/10/94
In article <1994May9.1...@MITL.Research.Panasonic.COM>,
ad...@grendizerKMERL.Research.Panasonic.COM (Laurie Adams) writes:
> ...laurie and the mastodons (Echo, Turner, Taylor, and Lexicon)

Laugh, guffaw, chortle, grin.

I can hardly wait to get home and tell Misha she's a hairy, extinct elephant.

Chuckle.

Bob
Misha, my Real Dog, 8-year-old apricot OE Mastiff
Tootsie [Roll], wife's Little Dog, 9-month-old chocolate Lab
Wilton, NH

Viola Chung

May 10, 1994, 12:42:38 PM5/10/94
<story about rude people pointing out dog resemble rat or ugly deleted>

Blue, a black chow, gets mistaken as a small Newfoundland, a black Akita,
a big keeshound(sp?), a bear. Occasionaly I get conversation like this:

"Cool dog, what is it?"
"A chow."
"I didn't know chows come in black. Is he full blood?"
"Well, I think he got all the blood he needs."

One time we were at a pet fair and a man and his ladyfriend walked up to us.
The man circled Blue a couple of times and told his friend (and us) that
"This dog is not perfect, he got pink on his lips." We didn't have a good
comeback because we were so amazed as why this stranger felt the need to
inform us that our pet quality dog is "not perfect". When his friend
tried to get closer to Blue to pet him, Mr. chow expert grabed her and pulled
her away. "This breed is vicious."he said. What's a good comeback to "experts"
like this?

Viola and Blue the "not perfect, vicious" chow

Susan Kennedy

May 10, 1994, 9:33:33 AM5/10/94
The Beardies and I are walking around Lake Harriet on
Mothers' Day. "What kind of dogs are those?"

"They are Bearded Collies."

"They don't look like collies."

"They aren't related to collies. They are Bearded
Collies."

"They look like sheep dogs."

"They are sheep dogs."

"I thought you said they were some other kind of
dog."

"Happy Mothers' Day."

--
Susan Kennedy Network Systems Corp. Minneapolis, MN USA
(susan....@network.com) (612) 391-1332

Donna Holsten

May 10, 1994, 6:09:29 AM5/10/94

>> ...laurie and the mastodons (Echo, Turner, Taylor, and Lexicon)

I was talking with my mom on the phone the other day. She told me about her
neighbor who has a really pretty Massive. My mom really likes Massives, but
they're so big...she'd never have room to get a Massive...

I was giggling pretty hard (on the inside), and instead of embarrass my mom,
I just kept saying stuff like "Yeah, Mastiffs are pretty neat", pronouncing
it *very* clearly. After about three times or so, my mom figured it out.

Donna (and Calvin the Doberman...err...black Lab...err...Rottweiler)

THE VIOLET LADY

May 10, 1994, 1:45:28 PM5/10/94
writes:
|> ALI...@MAINE.MAINE.EDU writes:
|> [stuff deleted to save bandwidth]
|>
|> >To people who don't recognize Belgian Tervuren, they
|> >may appear to be part or all wild critter (coyote or wolf, etc.).
|> >While hiking in the White Mountains with my dogs (on lead of
|> >course), I've actually had people squeak "Look, a wolf!"
|>
|> This leads me to ask the question, for what other breeds do
|> people mistake your dogs?

On one visit to the vet, Amber (with her ears erect much of the time)
was mistaken for a German Shepherd. I've yet to see a brindle GSD!

Almost anywhere we go, people think the girls are whippets.

* * * * *
*
Sharon Toolan * My opinions are my own;
too...@stsci.edu * No one else would want them!
*
* * * * *

Make a fast friend--adopt a Greyhound!

Mom to Amber (9.5 yr old retired racing Greyhound) and
Topaz (5 yr old retired racing Greyhound)
Members, Greyhound Pets of America, Maryland Chapter
(Mom's a volunteer, the dogs are Greyhound ambassadors par excellence)

Melissa Bruce

May 10, 1994, 1:45:00 PM5/10/94
In article 3...@VTC.TACOM.Army.Mil, papr...@vtc.tacom.army.mil (Rhonda Paprocki) writes:
> jo...@marcam.com (John Stomieroski) writes:
> : Breeds?!? Try species. I have a schipperke and I've had people
> : tell me they thought it was a cat, a fox and a piglet on different
> : occasions!!!
> :
> : --
> : John & Robin
> :
> : Toby and Cleo, Am. SH Tabbies from NVHS
> : Maggie, stray Calico
> : Sable, Schipperke, our newest family member.
> : STILL waiting for those AKC papers!
> :
>
> Well, occasionally people do call our great dane a *horse*. And
> I do call him a cow when he's standing on my foot. But it's surprising
> how many people have no idea what he is.
>
> Rhonda & Zeus the great dane puppy

People occasionally refer to my Bullmastiff as a "horse". My standard
reply is, "he's not a horse, he's a pony."

The most common mistake people make is thinking he's a Boxer.

Melissa & Brinks, the 120 lb. Boxer

DJ

May 10, 1994, 1:58:07 PM5/10/94

1. I'm sorry to disagree, but actually, Blue is very friendly.
2. She's perfect to us.
3. She's obviously less vicious and better mannered than you
are.
4. You are right. She's horribly vicious. You'd better leave
now, since she gets particularly angry at people who comment on her
lips. She's very sensitive.

And my favorite, which is a "no reaction" reaction, is:
"Really? Well, I'm sorry you feel that way."

Cheers,
Dana (and Alex and Scotty)

Mary Healey

May 10, 1994, 2:37:54 PM5/10/94
In article <2qodhv$d...@news.cerf.net>,
v...@ten-fwd.teltechlabs.COM (Viola Chung) writes:
>[parts deleted] When his friend tried to get closer to Blue to

>pet him, Mr. chow expert grabed her and pulled her away. "This
>breed is vicious."he said. What's a good comeback to "experts"
>like this?

"He's not, but I AM."
"Blue's as vicious as you are smart."
"He's only nasty to stupid people - I wouldn't come near him if I
were you."

(To the ever-stupid question "does he bite?", I can truthfully
answer - about Noah - "only if he likes you!")
--
Mary and the Ames (Iowa, USA) National Zoo:
Raise a Fund ("Regis", 9yo TB)
ANZ Sam-I-Am (4 yo ACDx) & ANZ Noah Doll, CGC (1 yo ACD)
Emma, Gareth, Rhiannon & Sibyl (cats from h*ll)
more finches and fewer fish every day!

Victoria Neff

May 10, 1994, 2:45:31 PM5/10/94
In article <2qdi3c$h...@yeshua.marcam.com> jo...@marcam.com (John Stomieroski) writes:

>Breeds?!? Try species. I have a schipperke and I've had people
>tell me they thought it was a cat, a fox and a piglet on different
>occasions!!!

Fox is really common with Corgis (especially if you're holding them so
people can't see their legs.... :-) ), but someone actually asked me
if Molly was a bear when she was just a baby puppy....

Bob Alman

May 10, 1994, 2:56:48 PM5/10/94
Viola Chung (v...@ten-fwd.teltechlabs.COM) wrote:

: One time we were at a pet fair and a man and his ladyfriend walked up to us.

: The man circled Blue a couple of times and told his friend (and us) that
: "This dog is not perfect, he got pink on his lips." We didn't have a good

"That's just a little flesh left from when he bit the last rud S.O.B.
who insulted him"

: comeback because we were so amazed as why this stranger felt the need to

: inform us that our pet quality dog is "not perfect". When his friend
: tried to get closer to Blue to pet him, Mr. chow expert grabed her and pulled
: her away. "This breed is vicious."he said. What's a good comeback to "experts"
: like this?

"Yes he is. Stay away; I have a cheap leash"

--
Bob Alman alm...@sr.hp.com

Bob Alman

May 10, 1994, 2:57:53 PM5/10/94
"Is that a Samoyed Husky?"

Yes he is. And don't call me husky.

--
Bob Alman alm...@sr.hp.com

Bob Alman

May 10, 1994, 2:58:50 PM5/10/94
"Does your dog bite?"

"Bites me."

--
Bob Alman alm...@sr.hp.com

Victoria Neff

May 10, 1994, 2:56:32 PM5/10/94

This thread has me rolling on the floor. First the dachshund that really
"resembles a wiener dog", and now mastodons..... :-) :-) :-) :-)

Oy.

Sharon Hasting

May 10, 1994, 12:46:37 PM5/10/94
> In article <1994May6.0...@inet.d48.lilly.com>, Gretchen A. Turner
>writes:
> |> ALI...@MAINE.MAINE.EDU writes:
> |> [stuff deleted to save bandwidth]

> |> This leads me to ask the question, for what other breeds do
> |> people mistake your dogs?

Hilarious! My Sibes are often accused of being wolves, which actually isn't
funny to me anymore, given my stance on wolf hybrids. But funny is:

"Look, that dog is blind in one eye!" (said about one bi-eyed dog)
"No he's not, stupid, he probably got in an accident and they had
to replace one eye, and they didn't have matching colors..."
(true story, I swear)

And, related to "what kind of dog" is how people pronounce breed names.
I think I posted this a year ago when it happened, but I still think it's
funny...

While standing at a dog show, grooming next to a lady working on her
Bichon Frise, here in Texas, I witnessed a self-important lady with a bad
Texas accent point at the Bichon and tell her friends:

"See that dog? That's a bitchin' frizzy!"

Sharon Hasting
Kunikpok Siberians
"If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss!"

Connie Cho

May 10, 1994, 6:59:47 PM5/10/94

I also get such questions frequently for my red and white Sibes.
"What kind of dog is that?" "A Siberian Husky?? I didn't know they
came in that color!" The handler was asked the same question all
three days about my Scooter at the last dog show.

Black/white, and silver/white Sibes are very popular on the pet
front; at the shows, however, reds tend to do the winning. I take
a dim view of breeders who concentrate on coat and eye color,
which unnecessarily (except commercially) limits the gene pool.

Tracy Smith

May 10, 1994, 6:54:53 PM5/10/94
Mary Healey (A1....@ISUMVS.IASTATE.EDU) wrote:

: (To the ever-stupid question "does he bite?", I can truthfully

: answer - about Noah - "only if he likes you!")
: --
: Mary and the Ames (Iowa, USA) National Zoo:
: Raise a Fund ("Regis", 9yo TB)
: ANZ Sam-I-Am (4 yo ACDx) & ANZ Noah Doll, CGC (1 yo ACD)
: Emma, Gareth, Rhiannon & Sibyl (cats from h*ll)
: more finches and fewer fish every day!

YES! How true!! Karoo only chews on those she loves :-)) Those ACD's!
(At least she's learned how to do it softly!! Except to Impi of course)

Tracy Lorraine Smith Mom to the ChewyCattleDog, Karoo and the
ChewedonElkhound Impi

Rob Hudson

May 10, 1994, 8:28:09 PM5/10/94
ALI...@MAINE.MAINE.EDU writes:
> This leads me to ask the question, for what other breeds do
> people mistake your dogs?

Okay, this is a little humiliating, but sometimes people think that Alma,
my poor little Schipperke, is a pig!

She's not overweight or anything, in fact she stays quite fit and trim.
Her face is not at all piggy, rather like a fox or even a wolf cub. But
Schips have no tails, and when she walks with her head down and her ears
back, well, to tell the truth...

What am I saying? Sorry, Alma...

--
Robert Hudson & Alma ("oink, I mean, woof!")
rhu...@uta.edu

Ebeth Jones

May 10, 1994, 11:09:11 AM5/10/94

How about when you see a dog that really doesn't look anything
like the breed standard? Recently I saw a corgi-looking dog, only
he was about 2 1/2 corgi's long and had long, shaggy fur. I made
the mistake of asking his owner "does he have some corgi in him?"
Needless to say, the owner was quite offended - "He's *PURE* corgi!".

Or how about people who think that they really do have a certain breed,
only its really a one of a kind breed? My neighbor has a very dark
red golden retriever, personally I think that its got something in
it besides golden, but anyway he tells me that she is what's called
a "black golden". So his "breeder" told him.

Ebeth & Oogie the gold-a-mute & Al the husk-ador

--
Elizabeth Jones E-MAIL: baj...@nvl.army.mil

"A home without a cat, and a well-fed, well-petted, and properly revered cat,
may be a perfect home, *perhaps*, but how can it prove its title?" Mark Twain

Antoinette Marie Starratt

May 11, 1994, 10:15:46 AM5/11/94

I'm often asked if my Keeshond is a Huskey or a Chow. Considering how
lightweight Lupe is, it is amazing that anyone could think that he is a
Chow, especially, as he is also light coloured, no one could mistake him
for a black Chow.......you'd think!

Most people don't comment on my Pomeranian. Not, I think, that they
necessarily recognize her as one: she is black, lacks a decent mane and
has outrageously feathered ears. Looks more like a Papillon to me, though
there is no doubt as to her breed (retired Pom breeding stock: retired
because of the sparsity of coat that sires weren't compensating for).
Tony

--
Cheers, Tony &/or Colin Starratt ________\ enthusiastic about Keeshonden,
/ Pomeranians, cats, sailboats,

Leisa Diel

May 11, 1994, 10:31:58 AM5/11/94

When our mini-dachsie was small people would constantly come up and
ask us if he was a min-pin or (strange this) a doberman.
BUT the prize goes to this older woman who leaned over Basil
when he was a fully grown..obviously dachshund dog and ask if he was a
doberman.
I said "Yes but I washed him on HOT."

DUh! Like my wiener-dude LOOKS like a dobie. SHeesh. True he has
dobie attitude, but his body is all lowrider.

leisa& basil (the 100lb spirit in the 12lb battery pack)
and Cezanne the wonder spot.

Oh and I forgot about the time a woman insisted that Cezanne was a
dal-nation.
I thought it would be a good idea for a country but my husband (who
owns the dalmatian) was less than amused.
/\____
// ~ / _\_____ She who does not learn to Howl
/ \ .. \/ Will never find her Pack.

Laurie Adams

May 11, 1994, 1:25:44 PM5/11/94
In article <karen.norteman.560...@om.wang.com>, karen.nortem...@om.wang.com (Karen J. Norteman) writes:
> [...]
My brindle mastiff bitch from England, Farnaby Well turned Fraze, is called
Turner for short, although I try to avoid using her name around strangers.

Someone in every crowd will say "it's Turner and Hooch!" I explain that the
dog in the movie is a French bullmastiff called a Dogue de Bordeaux, and
even though my dog's NAME is Turner, she is a h*ll of a lot better looking
than Tom Hanks!

...laurie (and Turner, who thinks she is smarter than Tom, too.
After all, HE has to make silly movies for a living, and all
SHE has to do is be beautiful, and behave MOST of the time,
and mom will go out and earn dogfood AND treats.)

MASTIFFSgentleGIANTSloyalFUNNYdevotedSLOBBERYplayfulDOGNIFIEDcompanionableFUN
B LAURIE BROOKE ADAMS D
I These opinions are mine, not my employer's. I have enough of my own. O
G Dayphone (919) 990-9551 X115 Messages (919) 676-8320 G
* email: ad...@KMERL.Research.Panasonic.COM S
--gone to the dogs---gone to the dogs---gone to the dogs---gone to the dogs--

Kelly Anne Hinkle

May 9, 1994, 11:39:46 PM5/9/94
But don'tcha just love when people try to tell you that you're wrong about
your dog?

Example....Opal is a SheLTie. The full name of her breed is SheTLand
Sheepdog. I had some woman stand there and try to convince me that Opal was a
SheTLie, not a SheLTie. Man.....you gotta wonder about these folks.....

*Kelly Anne Hinkle "Oppress not the cubs of a stranger,*
*kkea...@electra.cs.buffalo.edu but hail them as Sister and Brother"*

Kelly Anne Hinkle

May 9, 1994, 11:27:58 PM5/9/94
On the subject of people mistaking your dog for another breed....

If I have one more person come up to Opal (Sheltie!!) and say either --

"Look, it's Lassie!"
-or-
"Oh, it's a mini-collie. Was it a runt or something?"

...I'm going to smack them.

Cheerfully yours,

Kelly and Opal
:-)

Michael Yamasaki

May 10, 1994, 8:25:48 PM5/10/94
Greetings. In article <BLEVINE.1...@fhcrc.org> BLE...@fhcrc.org
(Beth Levine) writes:

>I think the funniest guess about Haley's genetic heritage came from someone at
>the dog park who asked me if she was a Rhodesian Ridgeback. I'm sorry, but she
>does not look ANYTHING like a Rhodesian Ridgeback. Never in a million years
>could she be mistaken for one, yet she was. Honestly, what was that person
>thinking?

Of course, there was the time we were walking our relatively large male Standard
Poodle (26" at the shoulders) and overheard:

Little boy: Dad, what kind of dog is that?
Father: That's what they call a Toy Poodle.

Hmmm.

(()) -Yamo- (((((
((())) ya...@nas.nasa.gov ((((((((
((( @ @ ))) __@ (((((
(((( | | )))) 0_.. (((((
(((( 00 )))) ((((((
((( ((())) ))) (((((((((((
(((()))) (((((((((((
(((()))) ((((((((
Ganci (Aldebaron Elegancia, CD, CGC) Osa (TNT Dynamic Leather and Lace, CGC)
Black Standard Poodle White Standard Poodle

m...@xp.psych.nyu.edu

May 12, 1994, 10:37:31 AM5/12/94
I have two male Yellow Labs. Often, I am asked of Newman, the older
one, "Is that the mother?" I usually say, "He's the uncle," his actual
relationship to Tycho. Even better, before we got Tycho, I was once
walking Newman with a red and white 13-inch beagle, Candy-Cane. Guess
what? Someone asked of Newman, "Is that the mother?"

Most of the time, though, people ask if Newman is a "Golden Lab," while
Tycho, a paler shade of blond, gets called a "White Lab." Cindy Tittle
Moore mentioned to me that Lab/Golden Retriever mixes might account
for this name, but I often have people telling ME that I have one
Golden Lab and one White Lab. It's *so* commonplace that I wonder how
this came to be. Any ideas?

Actually, I *was* once asked if Newman was a ROCKweiler :^O

Moy Wong, (m...@xp.psych.nyu.edu) Dept. of Psychology, New York University
with Lexijente's Edam Newman Noggs
and Lexijente's Kasha Tycho
*YELLOW* Labradors, or Yellow/Yellow MIX.

]From cmcl2!panix!ddsw1!news.kei.com!eff!news.duke.edu!convex!cs.utexas.edu!howland.reston.ans.net!agate!library.ucla.edu!csulb.edu!csus.edu!netcom.com!tittle Wed May 11 18:13:47 EDT 1994
]Article: 70068 of rec.pets.dogs
]Newsgroups: rec.pets.dogs
]From: tit...@netcom.com (Cindy Tittle Moore)
]Subject: Re: What Kind of Dog is T
]Sender: tit...@netcom.com (Cindy Tittle Moore)
]Date: Wed, 11 May 1994 14:01:34 GMT
]
]JOEL.L...@mogur.com (joel levinson) writes:
]
]>I am CONSTANTLY being told when I am with my bearded collie -'oh what a
]>cute sheepdog puppy!' And when I have my sheep dog with me, I am asked
]>'is this the puppy's momma?" They are both altered males, and my
]>beardie is the older of the two. Also, when I explain that my dog is a
]>bearded collie I am told 'but he doesn't look anything like Lassie!'
]
]And of course, it doesn't help to point out that one has a tail
]and the other doesn't!
]
]I can understand this confusion though. It took me a month or so
]of dog shows to get them straighted out.
]
]Cheers,
]--Cindy
]--
]Cindy Tittle Moore tit...@netcom.com PO Box 4188, Irvine, CA 92716
] Waggery Labradors: Terrell's Chocolate Deduction CGC--Hershe
] Delby's Wood Nymph at Waggery--Angel
]
]* Read the weekly FAQ article to find out how to get the FAQs by ftp or email! *
]
]

Lynne Price

May 12, 1994, 12:06:05 PM5/12/94
In article 16...@novell.com, mi...@ca.novell.com (Michelle Duncan) writes:
>Scout is a smooth collie (blue merle in color) and he's usually mistaken
>for an aussie shepherd mix. We have even had a few people guess greyhound
>(oh pleeze!) and aussie. ugh! My favorite is when they ask "What kind
>of mix is that?" and I tell them he isn't a mix, he's a purebred smooth
>collie they say "Really? *I've* never heard of that." I still haven't
>come up with a snappy response to that one.
>
>It always knocks my socks off when someone correctly identifies him
>though...

Micki,
Similar things happen with rough collies other than sables. Kids recognize
the shape (my blue was called "Lassie" in at least 7 languages by the time
he was a year old); adults know that anything in blue has to be an Aussie.
A gardener once went into our yard, looked at my tri and blue roughs and
said, "Gee, they almost look like collies."
Of course, there's a recognition problem even with sables. It never
occurs to most people that they come in males, too.
--Lynne

Heather Deal

May 12, 1994, 6:15:26 AM5/12/94
In article <2qtmk5$f...@eccdb1.pms.ford.com> poo...@cc4032.pms.ford.com (Glenn M. Poorman) writes:
>From: poo...@cc4032.pms.ford.com (Glenn M. Poorman)

>"Golden Lab" ...... I hear that one constantly! I have a yellow and black
>and some folks just don't want to believe that they are the same breed.

Yes - I've had people tell me in to uncertain terms that yellow lab is a
term used only by the ignorant - that golden lab is the correct name. No
amount of gentle comments about retrievers, golden vs laborador, seems to
have an influence. Now, I'm no expert, so I'm unwilling to be too firm on
this, but I've always had a sneaking suspicion that they're wrong... ;-).

Heather and Bob, golden? no. yellow? somewhat. white? here and there.
Biscuit!

Victoria Neff

May 12, 1994, 1:25:01 PM5/12/94
In article <DEAL.113...@cce.ubc.ca> DE...@cce.ubc.ca (Heather Deal) writes:
>In article <2qtmk5$f...@eccdb1.pms.ford.com> poo...@cc4032.pms.ford.com (Glenn M. Poorman) writes:
>>"Golden Lab" ...... I hear that one constantly! I have a yellow and black
>>and some folks just don't want to believe that they are the same breed.
>
>Yes - I've had people tell me in to uncertain terms that yellow lab is a
>term used only by the ignorant - that golden lab is the correct name.

A guy told me once that he had a "Golden Lab". I informed him that Labs
come only in yellow, black and chocolate, not "Golden". When he argued
with me I sent him across the street to the bookstore, which had the
AKC's book.... He came back later, somewhat chastened....

Maybe we all need to carry the AKC's all-breed book everywhere we go???

Dixie Blake

May 12, 1994, 1:36:14 PM5/12/94

: >From: poo...@cc4032.pms.ford.com (Glenn M. Poorman)

: >"Golden Lab" ...... I hear that one constantly! I have a yellow and black
: >and some folks just don't want to believe that they are the same breed.

: Yes - I've had people tell me in to uncertain terms that yellow lab is a
: term used only by the ignorant - that golden lab is the correct name.

I have the same problem, owning a Golden Retriever....she has been called
a Golden Lab frequently...and trying to educate people falls on deaf ears
a lot of the time...Irish Setter comes in second to Golden Lab.

Dixie Lee and Amber Lee (who is not yellow or red...she is a medium gold...)

Audi McGee

May 12, 1994, 9:02:18 AM5/12/94
In article <truly.25...@lunemere.com> tr...@lunemere.com (Truly Donovan) writes:
>When I got tired of explaining to people that Zipper, with his prognathous jaw
>and lousy coat, was a mutt of largely terrier persuasion, I started
>responding to "What kind of a dog is that?" with "He's a San Jose Red
>Terrier." People nodded as if to say, "I knew that all along; I was just
>making sure."
>
>Truly Donovan, now owned by Molly, a certified West Highland White Terrier
we like to tell people that our lab/sheepdog mix who is close to
100 lbs. is a "shlab". there are those who really think this
is a purebreed. others say he looks like an otterhound, which
is very very true, if his coat was brownish like the otterhounds
(sorry don't know the correct name for their coat) he DOES look
EXACTLY like one.

audi

Connie Cho

May 12, 1994, 3:05:07 PM5/12/94
On a slightly unrelated note ...

One of the club members has four Sibe puppies out of her bitch,
and advertised them for sale. One guy phoned, raving how he had
dreamed of owning a Siberian Husky for years, since he was a
little boy. Then he says, "Now, tell me, what do Siberian Huskies
look like?"

???????

BTW, she decided to keep all four pups, after fielding the various
calls she got. She couldn't countenance selling the pups to any of
those people.

Glenn M. Poorman

May 12, 1994, 12:48:05 PM5/12/94
In article <940512144...@xp.psych.nyu.edu>, m...@xp.psych.nyu.edu writes:
|> I have two male Yellow Labs. Often, I am asked of Newman, the older
|> one, "Is that the mother?" I usually say, "He's the uncle," his actual
|> relationship to Tycho. Even better, before we got Tycho, I was once
|> walking Newman with a red and white 13-inch beagle, Candy-Cane. Guess
|> what? Someone asked of Newman, "Is that the mother?"
|>
|> Most of the time, though, people ask if Newman is a "Golden Lab," while
|> Tycho, a paler shade of blond, gets called a "White Lab." Cindy Tittle
|> Moore mentioned to me that Lab/Golden Retriever mixes might account
|> for this name, but I often have people telling ME that I have one
|> Golden Lab and one White Lab. It's *so* commonplace that I wonder how
|> this came to be. Any ideas?
|>
|> Actually, I *was* once asked if Newman was a ROCKweiler :^O

"Golden Lab" ...... I hear that one constantly! I have a yellow and black

and some folks just don't want to believe that they are the same breed.

People walk up constantly and say "Gee you have a nice black lab and a
nice golden retreiver". I am constantly walking around outside saying
"No ... they're both labs." Then I get "Oh ... so that one is a golden lab".

Glenn M. Poorman Ford Motor Company
Rm 2228, Bldg #3 Phone: (313) 33-73316
20000 Rotunda Dr. Fax : (313) 39-08817
Dearborn, MI. 48121 Email: poo...@cadcam.pms.ford.com

Glenn M. Poorman

May 12, 1994, 2:38:24 PM5/12/94
In article <DEAL.113...@cce.ubc.ca>, DE...@cce.ubc.ca (Heather Deal) writes:
|> In article <2qtmk5$f...@eccdb1.pms.ford.com> poo...@cc4032.pms.ford.com (Glenn M. Poorman) writes:
|> >From: poo...@cc4032.pms.ford.com (Glenn M. Poorman)
|>
|> >"Golden Lab" ...... I hear that one constantly! I have a yellow and black
|> >and some folks just don't want to believe that they are the same breed.
|>
|> Yes - I've had people tell me in to uncertain terms that yellow lab is a
|> term used only by the ignorant - that golden lab is the correct name. No
|> amount of gentle comments about retrievers, golden vs laborador, seems to
|> have an influence. Now, I'm no expert, so I'm unwilling to be too firm on
|> this, but I've always had a sneaking suspicion that they're wrong... ;-).

They are!

DEBORAH SHARPE-LOGUE

May 12, 1994, 1:32:35 PM5/12/94
In article <1994May6.0...@inet.d48.lilly.com> Gretchen A. Turner writes:
>Subject: What Kind of Dog is That?
>From: Gretchen A. Turner
>Date: 6 May 94 07:34:13 EST

>ALI...@MAINE.MAINE.EDU writes:
>[stuff deleted to save bandwidth]

How about "Siberian Sheepdog?" (Is there such a breed?) No one seems to
recognize my old english sheep dogs! Children call them "polar Bears".
Cute.

DEBORAH SHARPE-LOGUE

May 12, 1994, 1:35:46 PM5/12/94
In article <1994May9.2...@adobe.com> ml...@adobe.com (Michelle Lisk (TEMP)) writes:
>From: ml...@adobe.com (Michelle Lisk (TEMP))
>Subject: Re: What Kind of Dog is That?
>Date: 9 May 94 22:46:27 GMT

>One of my favorites is when people ask us if our 2 dogs are either
>mother and daughter or sisters. I can't help but laugh when they ask
>since 1) they're not from the same litter or parents and 2) one is
>male and the other is female! I tell them to check under Buddy's
>hood. They're embarassed, but we all get a kick out of it. Geez,
>I know he's neutered, but...!

>Michelle and...

>Buddy (I don't look like a girl. Just check)
>Misha (I'm too pretty to be related to HIM!)
I get "Are they twins?"

Eric J. Storch

May 13, 1994, 2:54:57 AM5/13/94
Don't feel bad. We have a White Collie, and we are always being asked if
she is a sheltie. Bridget is WAY to big to be a sheltie, but they are
pretty popular around here, as we have found out, so we can at least see
the reason. The only thing that really makes us sigh is that if we only
had a nickel for each time that someone cried out "Lassie, Lassie"/Oh,
look, it's Lassie (but all white!)"/"Oh my, I didn't know that Lassie came
in white"., we would be rich. If we had a dime for each time we've been
rewarded with a look of shock when we gave the answer to the inquiry of
where we got our dog (local shelter), we could start a stock portfolio.
If only we had known...
ejs, des, and the wrecking crew

--
/-----------------------------------+-----------------------------------------\
| Eric J. Storch |"History is on the move, Captain. Those |
| e.st...@ma30.bull.com (Unix mail)| who cannot keep up will be left behind, |
| (above address is MIME capable) | to watch from a distance.... And those |
| E.ST...@ma30p.bull.com (cc:Mail) | who stand in our way, ... will not |
| 508-294-3796 | watch at all." |
| Bull Worldwide Information Systems| -- Grand Admiral Thrawn; "Star Wars: |
| 300 Concord Rd. Billerica MA 01821| The Last Command" by Timothy Zahn |
| Mail Stop: MA30/874A | #include <std/disclaimer.h> |
\-----------------------------------+-----------------------------------------/

Veronika Berglund

May 13, 1994, 2:50:55 AM5/13/94
In article <CpLE3...@nvl.army.mil> baj...@nvl.army.mil writes:

>Or how about people who think that they really do have a certain breed,
>only its really a one of a kind breed? My neighbor has a very dark
>red golden retriever, personally I think that its got something in
>it besides golden, but anyway he tells me that she is what's called
>a "black golden". So his "breeder" told him.

Hard to say without seeing him I guess. I really adore those dark red
goldens though, magnificent colour as compared to the normal bleak
varieties. Fortunately the dark red seem to be gaining popularity here.

Veronika

GEOFF ELLIOTT

May 13, 1994, 7:48:00 AM5/13/94
Rex, our Giant Schnauzer has been mistaken for the following:

1) Bouvier (understandable since Bouviers were used to create Giants)
2) Rottweiler (not so understandable)
3) Giant Scottish Terrier (right...on steroids!)
4) Black Lab (well, he *is* black!)
5) Poodle! (Rex was very offended at this one....)

Geoff and Rex (proud his daddy is Ch. Skansen's I Have A Dream, the all-
time GS champion and one of the best of all breeds)

In article <CpKI6...@acsu.buffalo.edu>, kkea...@cs.buffalo.edu (Kelly Anne Hinkle) writes...

Dianne Schoenberg

May 13, 1994, 12:21:46 PM5/13/94
Michelle Lisk (TEMP) <ml...@adobe.com> wrote:
>One of my favorites is when people ask us if our 2 dogs are either
>mother and daughter or sisters. I can't help but laugh when they ask
>since 1) they're not from the same litter or parents and 2) one is
>male and the other is female!

You think *that's* bad? I get this too, and my dogs aren't even the
same breed! My male Briard is considerably bigger than my OES bitch,
and I've been asked a number of times "Is the big one the mother?"

Dianne

Wendy Bortnick

May 13, 1994, 10:37:20 AM5/13/94
We frequently have comments when walking our Bedlington Terriers
like Wow a Poodle with a Mohawk haircut. Lately quite a few people
are recognizing what they are, but always say they have only seen them
on TV (Westminster Dog Show) or in a dog book. Of course they say they
look like a lamb, and usually young guys will go "BAA" as we walk by.
Since we live in Annapolis and the downtown section has many tourists
we are frequently asked if they can take their picture which we are
very flattered by. I always feel like they are movie stars because
everyone stops us. A lady from England which is where they are from
told us last weekend that only royalty and the very wealthy use to own
them, so I just held my head high and said thats correct (just kidding,
I laughed).

Wendy
27...@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Wendy Bortnick)

Catherine Upton

May 13, 1994, 2:00:11 PM5/13/94
I have two Boston Terriers. Sweet Pea, the five year old female, is full
breed, but she is irregular because she is white. Since she has a smashed
nose, people often ask if she is a Pug. She looks nothing like a pug!

Buster, the 4 year old male, we believe to have a mix of some kind in him
(his snout is too long). People are always asking if he is a miniature
boxer.

When Sweet Pea was a puppy (about 6 inches long at 8 weeks), people were
afraid of her because they thought she was a Pit Bull. People who are
ignorant about dogs seem to have this fear that all dogs with smashed noses
are "pit bulls". Pit Bulls don't even have smashed noses. And they are
certainly much larger than Boston Terriers! Besides, my pups wouldn't
hurt a fly! (not that most Pit Bulls would either.)

Catherine Upton
Mommy to Sweet Pea, Buster and Baby (due August 21, 1994)

Christopher J Hoover

May 13, 1994, 5:55:40 PM5/13/94
swa...@draper.com (A. Steven Wayne) writes:

>In article <1994May6.0...@inet.d48.lilly.com>, Gretchen A. Turner
>wrote:

>> This leads me to ask the question, for what other breeds do
>> people mistake your dogs?

>I find it amazing the number of people who ask if my giant schnauzer is a
>scotty; but even funnier: About 20 years ago I had a Lhasa Apso and an
>Afghan, both gold and people would continually ask me if the Afghan was the
>Lhasa's mother. Somehow, I kept a straight face and told them it was the
>other way around (both dogs were about 7b months old.)
>The other thing with the afghan was a lot of people actually believed me
>when I told them it was a new breed, a Poboon, a cross between a pony and a
>baboon.

Two dark Golden Retrievers: Rival, 8, and Ruby, 2 [my wife called me at
work today for no other reason than to inform me that Rival is trying to
mount Ruby. Whee! Must be..._that time_].

Common comment: "Hey, them's some real nice Irish Setters you got there."

Yes, "them's."

I bet light Golden Retriever people never have this problem....

Chris
--
Christopher J. Hoover cho...@usd.edu University of South Dakota
Disclaimer: standard It's *always* September, *somewhere* on the Net.

Regina Sobejana

May 13, 1994, 7:29:42 PM5/13/94
From: v...@ten-fwd.teltechlabs.COM (Viola Chung)
>Blue, a black chow, gets mistaken as a small Newfoundland, a black Akita,
>a big keeshound(sp?), a bear. Occasionaly I get conversation like this:
>
>"Cool dog, what is it?"
>"A chow."
>"I didn't know chows come in black. Is he full blood?"
>"Well, I think he got all the blood he needs."

Good answer!

>One time we were at a pet fair and a man and his ladyfriend walked up to us.
>The man circled Blue a couple of times and told his friend (and us) that
>"This dog is not perfect, he got pink on his lips." We didn't have a good
>comeback because we were so amazed as why this stranger felt the need to
>inform us that our pet quality dog is "not perfect". When his friend
>tried to get closer to Blue to pet him, Mr. chow expert grabed her and pulled
>her away. "This breed is vicious."he said. What's a good comeback to "experts"
>like this?

Ackth! What a moron! Don't you hate people like this!
Guess he's asking to be mauled....

Back to mistaken identity, my chow other than a bear, she was also
mistakenly identified as a Lab, Retriever and even a GSD, none of which are
even close resemblance. One time I was walking with my dogs and this
jogger lady said, "Oh what a cute German Sheperd puppy" I replied,
"No, she's not a GSD, she's a Chow dog." Kira, my Chow smiled (actually
stuck her blue-purple tongue out, you know that cute doggie grin) and
this lady went on, "What happend to her tongue?" and I calmly answered,
"That's one of the main characteristics of Chows" and left.
Another incident, was when I was shopping with my dogs at PetStore.
One man (about 10ft away from my dogs and me) said to his son,
"Look Son, a 'long-haired sharpei'!" I guess I can understand
the face resemblance between chows and sharpeis...but... oh well
I tried to ignor him and triend not to laugh.

My other dog, maltese, also have his share of that "mistaken identity."
I keep his fur/hair short -- puppy cut, so wherever we go, he's always
mistaken to either a puppy Bichon Frise(sp?), Westie, or a miniature
Poodle. But I guess that's better than being identified as a "stuff toy".
Poor Mr. MaGoo (Goober), was mistakenly if not compared, identified as
some sort of a stuff toy. Last Mother's day I was at my parents' house
and brought my dogs with me. One of the first thing Goober does when
we go to my Parents house is to sit/relax on my Mom's loveseat. That day,
Mom happend to have other visitors. There was this lady visitor (who btw,
never stop talking) was about to sit on this loveseat where Goober was
snoozing. Just about she was ready to drop her butt, my Mom said
"Wait...!" and followed by this angry barks..."Hey Lady....get your
fat butt off my face!!!!" And the lady screamed,"Oh my God, I didn't
know it was a real dog! I thought it was one of your grandchildren's
STUFF TOY!" Puhleeez.... even if it was 'a toy', if it was mine,
I certainly don't want my "toy" to be flatten by that woman's butt!!!

>Viola and Blue the "not perfect, vicious" chow

Regina, Kira the "gsd-NOT" Chow and Goober the "stuff-toy-look-alike" Maltese.

Regina Sobejana

May 13, 1994, 7:42:21 PM5/13/94
THE VIOLET LADY (too...@stsci.edu) wrote:
: In article <1994May6.0...@inet.d48.lilly.com>, Gretchen A. Turner
: writes:
: |> ALI...@MAINE.MAINE.EDU writes:
[stuff deleted]
: |> This leads me to ask the question, for what other breeds do
: |> people mistake your dogs?

For other animals....
I went camping once with my Chow and Maltese. We've unintentionally
spooked some hikers who thought my Chow was a "bear" or a "cub on a leash."
My Maltese was mistaken for a "barking rabbit"
By the end of the day, both furball managed to win some friends (hikers).

Regina, Kira the bear-look-alike Chow and Goober (Mr.MaGoo) the barking rabbit
Maltese.

Jeff Beckmann

May 13, 1994, 5:02:26 PM5/13/94

Yes, as a matter of fact the Siberian Sheepdog is a real breed.
It use to be recognized by the USSR-KC (Russian kennel club)
before the break up of their government. The breed is noted
for its ability to herd government exhiles in Siberia.
<Tounge-in-cheek mode OFF>

Boy, it has been a long week for me!

Jeff
--
Jeff Beckmann
je...@sj.unisys.com

Eric J. Storch

May 13, 1994, 10:31:51 PM5/13/94
"Experts" come in many diffferent varieties. There are the idiots, and
there are those that actually know something about the breed they are
criticizing. Eric and I have met up with the sort of people that seem to
think that the only good animals are the ones used for breeding and
showing, as well as those who are just plain stupid about pets. Both types
are equally aggravating, don't you think?
Well, after a great amount of thought, I have come up with a suitably
scathing reply to those who are critical of non-show quality pets.

"It may come as a great shock to you, but there are animals out there who
aren't as fortunate as yours seem to be. There are animals who, by the
circumstances of their birth, or by the circumstances of their lives, are
not destined to be perfect according to any standard except that of the
master or mistress who loves it."

For those who are critical about pets in general, we just walk off.

Deb, posting on hubby's acct. Don't flame him, flame ME!

Isabel Gordon

May 14, 1994, 2:23:42 AM5/14/94

Yes, the Smooth Collie is a recognized variety of the Rough-Coated
Collie, and has been as long as the Collie has been in the AKC stud
books. Thanks to Lassie, of course, most people do not recognize it as
a collie. In addition, because of all the hair on the rough-coated
collie, most people think the collie is a larger dog than it really is.
Avrama & Shomer

Isabel Gordon
Internet: boxe...@sparknet.com
New York, NY USA

Message sent via SPARK*Net (Tm) Online Systems (Modem # (718) 447 5544)

Gary Carino - WWOPS STE

May 14, 1994, 2:57:21 AM5/14/94
cho...@usd.edu (Christopher J Hoover ) emerged from the Cave of Doom, carrying the holy scrolls <1994May6.0...@inet.d48.lilly.com> <swayne-09...@140.102.39.100> <choover.768866140@sunbird> in hand and spoke thusly:

>Common comment: "Hey, them's some real nice Irish Setters you got there."
>
>Yes, "them's."
>
>I bet light Golden Retriever people never have this problem....

Believe it or not, it *does* happen. To their credit, the people
usually aren't quite sure of themselves...it's more a question than
a statement.

Back when she was a (*very* fluffy) puppy, we were often asked if Summer
was a "golden lab." :-). (Labs tend to have, uh, er, skin-tight coats)

gary

BTW - did you catch the golden on Letterman earlier this week?

Gary Carino | ga...@vballdude.Sun.COM | Casadeloro's Summer Star
Sun Microsystems, Inc.| (408) 276-2990 | (golden), Smudge the black
Milpitas, Ca. | | kitty, and Randi the longhair

It is loading more messages.