Can border collies herd cats?

Emily Bassman

Nov 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/11/95
szp...@boris.ucdavis.edu (Janet Peerson) wrote:

>The other day, a friend used the phrase "difficult as herding cats," which
>brought to mind the above question. Does anyone have any stories, one
>way or the other? Thanks.

Well, I knew a GSD who used to herd her 3 cats. Successfully, too. She'd get them all on the dining room table and then wait for h=
er people to come in the room and see what she'd done. When they did, they found one incredibly pleased dog, and three p*ssed-off c=
ats!

If a GSD could do it, I suppose a border collie could do it too. But the cats would NOT be happy about it.

Emily Bassman and Perry and Dolly

JTT3976074

Nov 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/13/95
I have a sheltie who herds our cattle. She nips at thier heels to get them
to go.

Amy Hendrix

Nov 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/13/95
jtt39...@aol.com (JTT3976074) writes:

>I have a sheltie who herds our cattle. She nips at thier heels to get them
>to go.

Ah, but cattle are *easy*. Any herding dog with a mite of instinct can
get cattle to go (though they might just get killed by a misplaced kick).
What we're talking about here is *cats*, a different propostion altogether.
--
Amy Hendrix (hen...@acpub.duke.edu) & the menagerie
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

**** http://www.duke.edu/~hendrix ****

m...@en.com

Nov 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/14/95
In <4814ks$p...@gw.PacBell.COM>, Emily Bassman <esb...@popper.pacbell.com> writes:
>szp...@boris.ucdavis.edu (Janet Peerson) wrote:
>>
>>The other day, a friend used the phrase "difficult as herding cats," which
>>brought to mind the above question. Does anyone have any stories, one
>>way or the other? Thanks.

OH YES!! My dog, Shane, is part Shepherd/Collie and he herds my rabbits
to bed...if they aren't in the bedroom by 10:00 pm everynight, he has a fit,
barking and then chases them until they run to the bedroom...THEN, he herds
me to bed at 10:30 by barking at me until I go...it can be a pain, but it
is funny too!

Michelle

ROBIN HALL

Nov 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/17/95
In article <487egi$d...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> jtt39...@aol.com (JTT3976074) writes:
>From: jtt39...@aol.com (JTT3976074)
>Subject: Re: Can border collies herd cats?
>Date: 13 Nov 1995 07:42:58 -0500

>I have a sheltie who herds our cattle. She nips at thier heels to get them
>to go.

Both my border collies would prefer to eat cats rather than herd them,
but I suppose stranger things have happened :-)
Robin