Vaginal bleeding after spay

Early Spring

Jun 16, 2007, 6:33:21 PM6/16/07
Our new 1-2 year old dog adopted from the SPCA was spayed 11 days ago,
she was in a major heat at the time but they decided to spay her
anyway. I had no say, I didn't even know she was in heat, I was to
adopt her after I brought her home. So, the SPCA dropped her off to
be spayed and I picked her up after her spay and brought her home.
She had the normal in heat blood which went away after 3 or 4 days and
the incision looks great, she was doing really well until 8 days after
her spay, in the evening she started having a milky blood discharge
from her vulva and there was an odour. We took her straight back to
the vet the next morning, and the vet didn't really even look her
over, just diagnosed an anti biotic. She's been taking it now since
last Thursday afternoon and the discharge hasn't slowed down, if
anything, it seems to have gotten a bit worse. It is less milky which
means the infection could be clearing.

I did a board search here and have found a few posts similar to mine
but no real updates or resolutions except one whose dog ended up have
liver failure which was causing her vaginal discharge.

The vet seemed totally perplexed, she said it didn't look like
peritonitis but didn't understand why she was bleeding because 'the
stump' usually doesn't do that. This is not my usual vet but one the
SPCA uses because they give the SPCA a deal, can't blame them for
using this vet.

Anyway, I would appreciate any more info if you have it. Or just
moral support, we are quite worried. If she isn't even remotely
cleared up by Monday we are going back to the vet. Not sure if I
should see the one who spayed her or my trusted regular.

FurPaw

Jun 16, 2007, 6:57:33 PM6/16/07
Early Spring wrote:

> Anyway, I would appreciate any more info if you have it. Or just
> moral support, we are quite worried. If she isn't even remotely
> cleared up by Monday we are going back to the vet. Not sure if I
> should see the one who spayed her or my trusted regular.

I don't know anything about the condition, but I'd be inclined to
take her to a vet you know and trust. And monitor her
temperature - if it goes above 102 (I think), and especially if
she's acting lethargic or refusing to eat, I'd consider taking
her to an emergency vet. Those would be signs of infection.

FurPaw

--
The Bush legacy - no child left a dime.

To reply, unleash the dog.

Early Spring

Jun 16, 2007, 8:55:23 PM6/16/07

Hi, FurPaw. How do you monitor a dog's temp? She's active as can be
and is eating really well. We are pretty sure she has an infection
already because the blood seems like it has puss in it. I'm hoping
the Clavamox clears the infection and if she doesn't appear to have
less discharge on Monday I will take her back it. If she continues to
stay so active and healthy looking, otherwise I will call the emerg.
vet number.

Kathleen

Jun 16, 2007, 9:38:01 PM6/16/07
Early Spring wrote:
> On Jun 16, 3:57 pm, FurPaw <furrealpaw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Early Spring wrote:
>>
>>>Anyway, I would appreciate any more info if you have it. Or just
>>>moral support, we are quite worried. If she isn't even remotely
>>>cleared up by Monday we are going back to the vet. Not sure if I
>>>should see the one who spayed her or my trusted regular.
>>
>>I don't know anything about the condition, but I'd be inclined to
>>take her to a vet you know and trust. And monitor her
>>temperature - if it goes above 102 (I think), and especially if
>>she's acting lethargic or refusing to eat, I'd consider taking
>>her to an emergency vet. Those would be signs of infection.
>>
>>FurPaw
>>
>>--
>>The Bush legacy - no child left a dime.
>>
>>To reply, unleash the dog.
>

> Hi, FurPaw. How do you monitor a dog's temp? <snip>

You monitor your dog's temperature by taking her temperature. Use a
rectal thermometer positioned in the appropriate orifice for the
recommended time span (varies between analog and digital models).

FurPaw

Jun 16, 2007, 10:23:37 PM6/16/07
Kathleen wrote:
> Early Spring wrote:

>>> I don't know anything about the condition, but I'd be inclined to
>>> take her to a vet you know and trust. And monitor her
>>> temperature - if it goes above 102 (I think), and especially if
>>> she's acting lethargic or refusing to eat, I'd consider taking
>>> her to an emergency vet. Those would be signs of infection.

>> Hi, FurPaw. How do you monitor a dog's temp? <snip>

> You monitor your dog's temperature by taking her temperature. Use a
> rectal thermometer positioned in the appropriate orifice for the
> recommended time span (varies between analog and digital models).

Early Spring - put a little vaseline or KY-jelly on the
thermometer to lubricate it before you insert it in her rectum.

Have your dog lay down on her side, calm her until she is lying
quietly and not trying to get up (you could have someone feeding
her tidbits), and gently insert the thermometer about 1/2", and
gently hold it in place. It will probably take a couple of
minutes to level off. Digital thermometers usually will beep
when ready.

Take her temperature every few hours, just like you would for a
child who's sick.

Lynne

Jun 16, 2007, 10:30:03 PM6/16/07
on Sun, 17 Jun 2007 02:23:37 GMT, FurPaw <furrea...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Take her temperature every few hours, just like you would for a
> child who's sick.

I just got a new digital thermometer that is done in a few seconds. The
rub is that you have to have it positioned very quickly or you won't get an
accurate reading, but it sure makes it easier on the dog.

I write "Dog - Rectal" on my dog's thermometer with a Sharpie and store it
in the dog's drawer just so there's never a misunderstanding (ew).

--
Lynne

Kathleen

Jun 16, 2007, 11:06:28 PM6/16/07
Lynne wrote:

Jeeze!

Beverage warning, por favor.

Lynne

Jun 16, 2007, 11:09:05 PM6/16/07
on Sun, 17 Jun 2007 03:06:28 GMT, Kathleen <khhfmde...@charter.net>
wrote:

> Jeeze!
>
> Beverage warning, por favor.

Hahaha. I mean, lo siento.

--
Lynne

Early Spring

Jun 17, 2007, 11:27:00 AM6/17/07

Thank you for the detailed description! Do the in the ear
thermometres work for dogs?

Early Spring

Jun 17, 2007, 11:28:02 AM6/17/07
On Jun 16, 7:30 pm, Lynne <unmonitored.em...@gmail.com> wrote:

Cool, thanks Lynne. Good tips, ew indeed!

Early Spring

Jun 17, 2007, 11:32:04 AM6/17/07
Bit of an update. She seemed to have less blood on her towel this
morning. Fingers crossed she clears up. I haven't taken her temp
yet, her nose is wet and gums look good and she is very active. But,
I will dig out one of the digitals I use for my son and take it
sometime this morning just so I know where she is at.

Janet Boss

Jun 17, 2007, 12:08:03 PM6/17/07
In article <1182094020....@g37g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
Early Spring <day_tim...@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Do the in the ear
> thermometres work for dogs?

A lot of vets use them. I've used on on the rare instance that I need
to take a dog's temp. I have one for myself, and they come with little
disposable covers. I HAVE a rectal thermometer for the pets, but try
to avoid using it! ;-D

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

Early Spring

Jun 18, 2007, 10:44:38 AM6/18/07

Another update: She's now decked out in Disney Princess Pull-ups and
looks darn silly but cute, too. :) She just drips discharge
everywhere and I had her tethered in whichever room I was in (kitchen,
living room or office) on a rug and towel, I was doing laundry all day
because her towel got bloody so quickly I changed it a dozen times a
day in three rooms they really piled up.

Whatever is causing the problem, the infection or reaction, doesn't
appear to be clearing now that I see the accumulation in the diaper
when I change it. :( It still looks sort of milky, she has three
more days of her 7 day course of antibiotics.

I will call the vet this morning when they open. I will use the
spaying vet because I'm pretty sure they can get us in right away
while our regular is extremely busy. Keep your fingers crossed we can
get this resolved without too much extra discomfort for our girl,
Daisy.

urbanvet...@gmail.com

Jun 18, 2007, 11:06:01 PM6/18/07

> Whatever is causing the problem, the infection or reaction, doesn't
> appear to be clearing now that I see the accumulation in the diaper
> when I change it. :( It still looks sort of milky, she has three
> more days of her 7 day course of antibiotics.
>
> I will call the vet this morning when they open. I will use the
> spaying vet because I'm pretty sure they can get us in right away
> while our regular is extremely busy. Keep your fingers crossed we can
> get this resolved without too much extra discomfort for our girl,
> Daisy.

Just my experience in this-- i have preformed over 50 K spays and
neuters in my career.... i saw a dog once have a reaction internally
to suture material that caused bloody discharge for over 1 week. I do
NOT advise going back in surgically as this causes more trauma. It
should heal with a reaction up to 3 weeks, by the 10th day the
discharge should subside-- PROVIDED the dog is kept calm, crated, or
on a leash at all times. This dog had frank blood and clots, but not
'milky'. Even so, a reaction can not be ruled out. If she is otherwise
eating well, good energy, normal urination/defecation, and otherwise
good health you might not have to treat this as a emergency.

Marcel Beaudoin

Jun 19, 2007, 10:17:41 AM6/19/07
in rec.pets.dogs.health, urbanvet...@gmail.com wrote in

> Just my experience in this-- i have preformed over 50 K spays and
> neuters in my career....

Did you work at a spay/neuter clinic?? Otherwise, the numbers seem a bit
high.

50 k over your career. Let's say your career was 50 years, that's 1000 a
year or a little under 20 a week.

--
Marcel Beaudoin and Moogli

Early Spring

Jun 19, 2007, 11:55:15 AM6/19/07

I took her in and the vet said it could still be blood from her heat
and now she has an infection in her vulva. His assistant didn't agree
that she was still in heat because her uterus and ovaries are gone.
He said the hormones are still in her body. :/ So, anyway, we upped
her antibiotic from 250 mgs 2x a day to 375 mgx 2x day for a full two
weeks. Her temperature was good, her gums are perfect, he was
impressed that she wasn't lethargic and is very alert and her appetite
was good. I thought the person I saw last week was the vet who spayed
her, but she was just a tech, she was the one who first gave us the
antibiotics. The vet I saw yesterday was the vet who spayed her, he
said Daisy could have a bit of exercise but to get her to rest as much
as possible and to come in again next Monday.

Early Spring

Jun 19, 2007, 11:56:46 AM6/19/07

Oh, I forgot to add, no more diapers. I only used them for 24 hours
but it does make sense that the infection might not clear as well if
she has a diaper on, keeping the blood and infection right on her butt
with a diaper on.

Early Spring

Jun 19, 2007, 11:59:41 AM6/19/07

Thank you, for you reply. In my uneducated and inexperienced opinion
(for what it's worth) I dread having to have her have another surgery
because I do think it would be too traumatic. I do think she has an
infection and we are keeping her calm, calmer than we were. She is
desperate to chase the ball but we won't be doing that until the
infection is gone. Walking is ok, just not running and jumping
around. Our Daisy has clots too. Her health is otherwise very well.