Miniature Schnauzer breeder in Riverside California?

jimbol51

Jul 14, 2005, 10:15:00 PM7/14/05
Could anybody give me a heads up on a reputable breeder in the Riverside
California area? Anybody know anything about Mountain High Schnauzers up in
the Crestline area? Thanks, Jim in San Diego

TO...@dog-play.com

Jul 14, 2005, 11:55:58 PM7/14/05
On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 02:15:00 GMT jimbol51 <jimb...@san.rr.com> whittled these words:

> Could anybody give me a heads up on a reputable breeder in the Riverside
> California area? Anybody know anything about Mountain High Schnauzers up in
> the Crestline area? Thanks, Jim in San Diego

Looking for a breeder ends up with a bit of philospophy involved. What
makes a good breeder, for you, is going to depend at least a little bit on
your view of dogs. There are breeders who are very much taken with their
breed, but the individual dogs are not of much concern. The dogs are more
about what they can do for the ego of the breeder than for the
human-animal bond. There are breeders for whom the dogs are livestock,
with the goal to maximize the sales price the dogs will bring. There are
breeders who breed for highest per item sales, and ones that go for many
and cheap to make their profits. There are breeders who know how to
reduce genetic health issues, but can't be bothered to do so, and many
more who just don't know what they don't know. There are breeders who
don't care what happens to the dogs after they go to their new homes, and
breeders who would care, but don't know what to do about it.

When you buy a dog from a breeder you are supporting the activities of
that breeder. It doesn't do to object to the behavior of the breeder, yet
reward it by paying the breeder for having done it. So, depending upon
your view of dogs you might accept buying a dog from a breeder who is
merely looking to make a profit but at least provides humane conditions.
On the other hand you might be appalled enough by the numbers of dogs we
kill that you don't want to deal with a breeder who contributes to the
problem. In that case you might look for a breeder who acts in ways to
reduce the risks that that breeder's dogs will end up dying in a shelter.

Let me share with you what I've learned over the years. The biggest
hurdle for me was learning the difference between a "reputable" breeder,
and a "responsible" one. I had never heard nor dreamed of the concept of
a resonsible breeder, but once I was introduced it became a driving
commitment. The "reputable" breeder is often the one that is highly
regarded in competition as a person who produces winning dogs. As long as
minimal humaneness is non-competition related behavior is largely ignored.
Some top winning show breeders are widely known for producing masses of
dogs, but the dogs have value only for comptetion. Non-winning dogs can
end up with unprepared people who dump it in a shelter and the breeder
doesn't care and little is said except in whispers.

But it doesn't have to be that way. There are people who compete and win,
and enjoy and protect the dogs they produce. They may not win as much,
and they definetly produce many fewer dogs, but the lives of the ones they
do produce are much less likely to end too young. I learned that there
are breeders who will carefully interview their puppy buyers. They insist
on regular updates as the puppy matures. They have a contract in which
they promise to take the dog back rather than see it go to a shelter, and
the buyer promises to notify them before letting the dog change hands.
The breeder improves the odds that the adoption will succeed by being
available for help and advice. And the breeder is so committed to the
health and welfare of the breeder taht they invest time and money into
producing the most genetically sound, and temperamentally appropriate dogs
that they can manage.

In my mind a responsible breeder is essentially obsessed with their dogs
in the sense of learning and caring about their health and welfare. They
study, and they research. They gather reams of knowledge. And they
behave in ways that are good not just for the breed, but also for the
individual dogs and dogs in general.

When I'm helping someone find a responsible breeder I start by looking for
someone involved in the breed. They are usually a member of the breed
club, they are active in something related to the welfare of the breed.
That could be a health committee researching genetic health issues, it
could be rescue of dogs with less caring breeders, it could be fighting
anti-dog legislation, it could be any number of things. Then I want to
see what they are doing to contribute to improved breed health. I look
for breeders who are more concerned about contributing to the knowledge
base than their own egos. So I look the breed up in the OFA database and
other canine health registries. Knowlegable breeders need to share and
use information to make good breeding decisions. And especially damaging
are breeders who refuse to disclose the not-so-good results. Then I'm
going to places breeders tend to be - discussion groups on the internet,
competitions. And I'm going to talk with people. Not necessarily asking
about a puppy from THEM, but to get a sense of what I can expect.

There are different breed cultures. In some breeds it is d*mned near
impossible to find a breeder who actually cares about both health and
permanent placement. In other breeds the culture is strong for insisting
of at least a rudimentary level of screening against genetic health risks,
and efforts at permanent placement are part of the code of ethics.

Your breed is kind of in the middle. There are responsible breeders to be
had. But there also far too many breeders who are more concerned that
their dogs aren't the wrong color, than whether the knees are sound and
pain free. I would look for a breeder who is committed to keeping in
touch with every single puppy buyer, for the life of the dog. The breeder
who wants to make sure that the dog they produce does not end up in a
shelter. The breeder who knows that the biggest factor between whether a
puppy stays in its home or loses it is whether the person with the puppy
had support and guidance through the tough times. I would look for a
breeder who doesn't make me ask what kind of health testing was done, but
who would volunteer the information. I'd want a breeder who was realistic
and honest. One who would explain that health testing can reduce the
risks, but is still no guarantee against health problems. But that the
breeder would *still* provide at least a partial refund if a genetic
problem showed up that affected the well being of the dog. I want a
breeder with confidence in what they are producing - no time limitations
to genetic health problems. Maybe I can't get that, but I want to try.
There ARE breeders with that level of belief in their dogs.

I'd research the breed to learn the genetic health issues, and what
breeders can do to reduce the risks.

http://dogplay.com/Breeding/health.html#m

I'd research the code of ethics so I'd know the minimum expectations for
the breed.

http://dogplay.com/Breeding/coe.html#m

And I'd take the basic steps most liekly to put me in touch with these
individuals.

http://dogplay.com/GettingDog/where.html

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/

TO...@dog-play.com

Jul 15, 2005, 12:35:24 AM7/15/05
On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 02:15:00 GMT jimbol51 <jimb...@san.rr.com> whittled these words:
> Could anybody give me a heads up on a reputable breeder in the Riverside
> California area? Anybody know anything about Mountain High Schnauzers up in
> the Crestline area? Thanks, Jim in San Diego

Here are some things to think about.

If a DNA test exists to identify whether a dog is clear or a
carrier of a significant health issues, why would the breeder not take
advantage of that test? What reasons for that decision are acceptable and
which are clearly unacceptable?

Some breeders believe it is acceptable to take a risk of producing
crippled puppies as long as the breeder is willing to "put down" those
puppies. Assuming it is technically feasible to positively identify a
carrier what conditions would or would not justify that position?

If the puppy turns out to have a genetic health issue is another puppy
as the only remedy fair? is it reasonable? is it responsive to the
problem?

Read and think carefully about "guarantees". Are you ready to reutrn a
puppy that you love and care about just to get your money back? or a
different puppy in exchange? If you don't think you could make the trade
then how meaningful is that "guarantee"?

Let's say a breeder says the right things, like they support their buyers
and take back dogs the buyer can't/won't keep. They also send multiple
dogs thousands of miles away to other countries. Should the same
obligation still apply? And if so how is it accomplished? What conditions
might be acceptable to modify the stated practice, and which woud not be
acceptable?

These things are a matter of your own philosophy and ethics, but sometimes
learning what is possible changes what we are willing to accept.