Nikki, the bratwurst of a golden - progress!

Janet Boss

Oct 10, 2007, 2:56:06 PM10/10/07
http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa164/bosslady1001/nikki/

27# down (since intake 3 months ago), 28# to go.

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

Mary Healey

Oct 10, 2007, 3:03:56 PM10/10/07
Janet Boss <ja...@bestfriendsdogobedience.com> wrote in news:janet-
72D081.145...@news.individual.net:

> http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa164/bosslady1001/nikki/

YAY! (She's going to need a tummy tuck by the time she's done!)

Message has been deleted

diddy

Oct 10, 2007, 3:04:48 PM10/10/07
Janet Boss <ja...@bestfriendsdogobedience.com> spoke these words of wisdom in

> http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa164/bosslady1001/nikki/
>
> 27# down (since intake 3 months ago), 28# to go.

hurray! What are you not feeding her to make this happen? That's a
significant weight loss

Shelly

Oct 10, 2007, 3:09:00 PM10/10/07
Janet Boss wrote:
> http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa164/bosslady1001/nikki/
>
> 27# down (since intake 3 months ago), 28# to go.

That's excellent! She looks *tons* better. I bet she feels tons
better, too.

--
Shelly

BethInAK

Oct 10, 2007, 3:11:20 PM10/10/07

"Janet Boss" <ja...@bestfriendsdogobedience.com> wrote in message

> http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa164/bosslady1001/nikki/
>
> 27# down (since intake 3 months ago), 28# to go.

wow...she was just huge.
Good for Nikki! I'm hoping she will inspire me to get my weight loss ass in
gear.

Janet Boss

Oct 10, 2007, 3:13:57 PM10/10/07
In article <Xns99C599673AB...@216.196.97.142>, diddy <none>
wrote:

> hurray! What are you not feeding her to make this happen? That's a
> significant weight loss

Canidae Senior/Weight loss. And she gets walked, goes up and down
stairs, plays with the cat, doesn't get a zillion treats and junk food,
and gets her thyroid medication consistently.

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

Janet Boss

Oct 10, 2007, 3:14:54 PM10/10/07
In article <13gq8up...@corp.supernews.com>,
"BethInAK" <beth...@clearwire.net> wrote:

> wow...she was just huge.
> Good for Nikki! I'm hoping she will inspire me to get my weight loss ass in
> gear.

She really was rotund, and being shaved didn't help. I've considered
trying her diet!

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

diddy

Oct 10, 2007, 3:15:42 PM10/10/07

>> hurray! What are you not feeding her to make this happen? That's a
>> significant weight loss
>
> Canidae Senior/Weight loss. And she gets walked, goes up and down
> stairs, plays with the cat, doesn't get a zillion treats and junk food,
> and gets her thyroid medication consistently.

Super job.

Kathleen

Oct 10, 2007, 3:42:20 PM10/10/07
Janet Boss wrote:

> In article <13gq8up...@corp.supernews.com>,
> "BethInAK" <beth...@clearwire.net> wrote:
>

>>wow...she was just huge.
>>Good for Nikki! I'm hoping she will inspire me to get my weight loss ass in
>>gear.
>

> She really was rotund, and being shaved didn't help. I've considered
> trying her diet!

I bet you wouldn't like it much.

http://www.angryman.ca/monkey.html

tiny dancer

Oct 10, 2007, 3:43:54 PM10/10/07

"Janet Boss" <ja...@bestfriendsdogobedience.com> wrote in message
> http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa164/bosslady1001/nikki/
>
> 27# down (since intake 3 months ago), 28# to go.

Poor dear, so glad to see she's almost halfway there though. But my
goodness that poor dog must have felt just horrible before. Good job, btw.

td

> --
> Janet Boss
> www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

Janet Boss

Oct 10, 2007, 3:46:05 PM10/10/07
In article <kW9Pi.53$Z36...@newsfe02.lga>,
Kathleen <khhfmde...@charter.net> wrote:

> I bet you wouldn't like it much.
>
> http://www.angryman.ca/monkey.html

Well, she gets carrots for treats - I could handle those! Other than
that, I think I'll pass on the kibble diet But she has been very
successful!

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

Shelly

Oct 10, 2007, 3:48:53 PM10/10/07
Janet Boss wrote:

> Well, she gets carrots for treats - I could handle those!

If I recall, the all carrot diet didn't work out so well for Laurie
Partridge. HTH!

Janet Boss

Oct 10, 2007, 3:50:55 PM10/10/07
In article <NX9Pi.362$g9...@bignews8.bellsouth.net>,
"tiny dancer" <tinyda...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> But my
> goodness that poor dog must have felt just horrible before.

The first couple of weeks, she basically parked herself on a rug and
didn't move all day. Now, she runs, chases her ball, trots up and down
the stairs instead of a slow waddle. All in all, a different dog.

She had belonged to an elderly couple that never left their
property/home. Not even for the vet - he came to the house. I don't
think poor Nikki ever walked more than 5' at a time before. And they
pretty much gave her a strange assortment of food all of the time, and
fed her something awful and very colorful, which went right into the
trashcan, so I stopped at the natural pet food store on my way from
intake to her foster home and got her the Canidae.

She was living with a nice young Boxer (owner's son's dog) but
supposedly was very dominant over him. I just can't picture it. She's
very docile and actually had not a lot of interest in eating dog food at
first.

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

Janet Boss

Oct 10, 2007, 3:54:18 PM10/10/07
In article <fejab5$vft$2...@registered.motzarella.org>,
Shelly <she...@cat-sidh.net> wrote:

> If I recall, the all carrot diet didn't work out so well for Laurie
> Partridge. HTH!

I knew 60's (70's?) TV was good for something!

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

Melinda Shore

Oct 10, 2007, 4:03:05 PM10/10/07
In article <janet-72D081....@news.individual.net>,

Janet Boss <ja...@bestfriendsdogobedience.com> wrote:
>27# down (since intake 3 months ago), 28# to go.

Wow. Somebody ought to produce a poster with before and
after pictures and put it in vet offices so that other dog
owners can see that it's possible. That's pretty amazing.
--
Melinda Shore - Software longa, hardware brevis - sh...@panix.com

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Tara

Oct 10, 2007, 5:37:43 PM10/10/07
Terri <Te...@micron.net> wrote in news:Xns99C59D66DC68D7544444@
130.133.1.18:

> Aren't you the incumbent bicycle lady of yesterday years ago?
> My memory ain't what it used to be.

I seem to recall that as well.

Of course Mommyhood will trump ANY exercise regimen. My friend Laura got
her pregnancy weight off, only to put it back on (and more!) when her
toddler started....well, toddling.

Tara

Message has been deleted

Tara

Oct 10, 2007, 5:40:16 PM10/10/07
Janet Boss <ja...@bestfriendsdogobedience.com> wrote in news:janet-
72D081.145...@news.individual.net:

> http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa164/bosslady1001/nikki/
>
> 27# down (since intake 3 months ago), 28# to go.

That poor sweet tail wagging dog.

She looks so cute in that last photo: all proud that she caught (or even
picked up) the ball!

I'm so glad she's headed towards health. I bet she's getting a lot friskier
and more playful.

Tara

Janet Boss

Oct 10, 2007, 5:41:33 PM10/10/07
In article <Xns99C59D07...@130.133.1.18>,
Terri <Te...@micron.net> wrote:

> Dang! She's looking good!

Isn't she though? She really needs to be at 50# and she's at 78#.
Considering she started at 105.3#, we can't complain! I'm thinking her
Christmas picture may be F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S!

When we take dogs like this in, we are never quite sure why they are so
huge. Do they raid the cabinets? Do the owners over feed? Are they
lazy and don't exercise on their own or seem willing to get any exercise
with people? Do they have untreated thyroid issues? The list goes on.

In her case, she was being treated for her thyroid problem, but you have
to wonder if they were consistent with meds. I do know she got junk dog
and human food, and that was probably more of a factor than quantity. I
do believe that stagnation was the biggest issue though - I think her
metabolism had basically stopped.

She's only 8 (just) and slimmed down, she should have several more good
years, feeling great and being able to do things! She doesn't act like
an "old dog" anymore - it's pretty great.

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

Tara

Oct 10, 2007, 5:43:36 PM10/10/07
Janet Boss <ja...@bestfriendsdogobedience.com> wrote in news:janet-
87890D.155...@news.individual.net:

> She's
> very docile and actually had not a lot of interest in eating dog food at
> first.

Just started with a GR that has this as well. not as obese as Nikki, but
still pretty fat. And sluggish.

Today I caught sight of just how much food they are *actually* leaving in
his bowl. No wonder he's not interested in his food! Just his breakfast was
probably twice what he should be getting for the day.

Tara

Janet Boss

Oct 10, 2007, 5:43:39 PM10/10/07
In article <Xns99C5B3847950Eta...@130.81.64.196>,
Tara <noth...@verizon.not> wrote:

> She looks so cute in that last photo: all proud that she caught (or even
> picked up) the ball!

That ball came with her, but she wouldn't actually chase it for a long
time. It was also dark gray. My niece washed it and low and behold, it
is a giraffe pattern! She has a new version coming for Christmas
(shhh - don't tell her - it's a surprise!).

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Melinda Shore

Oct 10, 2007, 6:12:24 PM10/10/07
In article <2007101017474927544-montana@wildhackcominvalid>,
montana wildhack <mon...@wildhack.com.invalid> wrote:
>Perry = recumbent bike.

Beth too, as I recall. And I'm going to stick with
"incumbent."

BethInAK

Oct 10, 2007, 6:55:18 PM10/10/07

"Terri" <Te...@micron.net> wrote in message
> "BethInAK" <beth...@clearwire.net> wrote in
> Aren't you the incumbent bicycle lady of yesterday years ago?
> My memory ain't what it used to be.

Your memory is lovely.
But now I am a mommy and an FTE and biking is like the last thing on my list
to do. My exercise is rather limited these days - mostly to chasing
toddlers and walking doggies.

BethInAK

Oct 10, 2007, 6:55:44 PM10/10/07

"montana wildhack" <mon...@wildhack.com.invalid> wrote in message

> On 2007-10-10 17:35:18 -0400, Terri <Te...@micron.net> said:
>
>> Aren't you the incumbent bicycle lady of yesterday years ago?
>> My memory ain't what it used to be.
>
> Perry = recumbent bike.

Me too, me too!! I knew perry from the bent ng.

BethInAK

Oct 10, 2007, 6:57:27 PM10/10/07

> montana wildhack <mon...@wildhack.com.invalid> wrote in

>> On 2007-10-10 17:35:18 -0400, Terri <Te...@micron.net> said:
>>
>>> Aren't you the incumbent bicycle lady of yesterday years ago?
>>> My memory ain't what it used to be.
>>
>> Perry = recumbent bike.
>>

> Well, that's certainly a far cry from "Beth" and "incumbent"!
> When I'm wrong, I'm WRONG baybee!

I loved INCUMBENT. Leave it be.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Tara

Oct 10, 2007, 10:33:30 PM10/10/07
Terri <Te...@micron.net> wrote in news:Xns99C5CF64AC9F27544444@
130.133.1.18:

> When I re-arrived back in Idaho, my hamstring muscles reminded me
> rather cruelly that I was only *mostly* back in shape.
> http://www.home.earthlink.net/~dogsnus/images/Training%20Hill.jpg
> http://www.home.earthlink.net/~dogsnus/images/OldFreezeoutHill.jpg

That's Idaho?

Wow, I had no idea how beautiful it is.

Tara

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

tiny dancer

Oct 10, 2007, 11:05:24 PM10/10/07

> On 2007-10-10 22:34:44 -0400, Terri <Te...@micron.net> said:
>
> >> Perry and Lep went to live in way rural land. She rarely posts here.
> > She did? Still in Loozyanna-land though?
>
> I think she's still there. IIRC she mentioned that they were like 45
> miles from anything.

Perry, that's who I was trying to think of earlier. I'm shocked they moved.
I thought they had some sort of upholstery business going there in N.O.?
Plus they had her dad's house and all.

td

Message has been deleted

Beth In Alaska

Oct 11, 2007, 3:01:15 AM10/11/07

> "BethInAK" <beth...@clearwire.net> wrote in

>> "Terri" <Te...@micron.net> wrote in message
>>> "BethInAK" <beth...@clearwire.net> wrote in
>
>>> Aren't you the incumbent bicycle lady of yesterday years ago?
>>> My memory ain't what it used to be.
>>

>> Your memory is lovely.
>> But now I am a mommy and an FTE and biking is like the last thing on my
>> list to do. My exercise is rather limited these days - mostly to
>> chasing toddlers and walking doggies.
>>
> I sometimes have these floating thoughts that need to be plugged in.
> You haven't been around for a long time and suddenly I recalled a photo
> of a bike trail in Alaska, click...Beth in AK...first time ever hearing
> about a recumbant bicycle...click...back when Mikey was here to routinely
> perform self-wankery...click.click.
> Now that I'm plugged in, however, I have no idea what to do with it!

mikey...mikey.....what kind of troll was he? I forget him.

> I got seriously into bicycling in Louisiana to get back in shape and
> discovered muscles indeed do have a memory.
> Louisiana has a place called Monkey Hill in the New Orleans Zoo, built
> to show the children there what a hill looks like.

> When I re-arrived back in Idaho, my hamstring muscles reminded me
> rather cruelly that I was only *mostly* back in shape.
> http://www.home.earthlink.net/~dogsnus/images/Training%20Hill.jpg
> http://www.home.earthlink.net/~dogsnus/images/OldFreezeoutHill.jpg

Yowza...thats a HILL

Beth In Alaska

Oct 11, 2007, 3:03:08 AM10/11/07

"Terri" <Te...@micron.net> wrote in message
> "BethInAK" <beth...@clearwire.net> wrote in

>> "Terri" <Te...@micron.net> wrote in message
>>> "BethInAK" <beth...@clearwire.net> wrote in
>
>>> Aren't you the incumbent bicycle lady of yesterday years ago?
>>> My memory ain't what it used to be.
>>

>> Your memory is lovely.
>> But now I am a mommy and an FTE and biking is like the last thing on my
>> list to do. My exercise is rather limited these days - mostly to
>> chasing toddlers and walking doggies.
>>
> I sometimes have these floating thoughts that need to be plugged in.
> You haven't been around for a long time and suddenly I recalled a photo
> of a bike trail in Alaska, click...Beth in AK...first time ever hearing
> about a recumbant bicycle...click...back when Mikey was here to routinely
> perform self-wankery...click.click.

OMG, I REMEMBER
the running dolt from philly who actually had some pretty good dogs but
took some really stupid risks with them to prove what a great dog trainer he
was. I suspect he had some good innate dog training skills in his bizarre
head - although, not good people skills, or web design skills IIRC.

sionnach

Oct 11, 2007, 7:19:08 AM10/11/07

"Beth In Alaska" wrote:

> OMG, I REMEMBER
> the running dolt from philly who actually had some pretty good dogs but
> took some really stupid risks with them to prove what a great dog trainer
> he was. I suspect he had some good innate dog training skills in his
> bizarre head - although, not good people skills, or web design skills
> IIRC.

That would be Mike. He was on RPDB almost from the beginning, and prior to
that was a regular poster on the AOL groups; I'm talking back in the early
'90s.
Awhile back -a year or more ago - he posted about having gotten a job offer
(in CA, IIRC), and having a dilemma about what he would do with his dogs if
he accepted it. (IIRC, not in terms of whether to keep them, but in terms of
housing, exercise, time to spend with them in the new location.) I believe
he did take the job and move, and shortly thereafter, he disappeared from
the groups.

Melinda Shore

Oct 11, 2007, 7:28:15 AM10/11/07
In article <5n6f5vF...@mid.individual.net>,

sionnach <rhyfe...@verizon.net> wrote:
>I believe
>he did take the job and move, and shortly thereafter, he disappeared from
>the groups.

As I recall he changed jobs a couple of times in California
and ended up back in Philadelphia.

sionnach

Oct 11, 2007, 8:57:48 AM10/11/07
> As I recall he changed jobs a couple of times in California
> and ended up back in Philadelphia.

News to me. I saw a few posts from him after the move to CA, nothing
since.

I may have missed something, though - I took a hiatus from nearly ALL dog
groups (other than the NADAC Yahoo list, where I know so many people in real
life) for several months after losing Rocsi.
And I haven't had as much time for groups of any sort in the last year or
so; less time to spend on line in my current job, and busier when off work.