A question and a new toy

echr...@alltel.net

Mar 9, 2002, 9:35:55 AM3/9/02

THe question isdoes a cat have a transparent eye lid underneath the outside one.
I kept racing pigeons at one time and the birds had oa seconed eye lid that the
closed when flying to keep debris that might be in the air out of there eyes
when flying. Ialso had a dog at one time and he became sick and the inner eye
lid started to droop to the point where it became visible. I asked someonr maybe
a vet and he said that most dogs have this seconed eye lid but don't have any
use for it today, so it is rarely seen. Can someone with more Knowledge then I
confirm or doubt this in relation to cats.

The new toy for our kitten is a half of a pistachio shell. He seems to know that
it is not to be eaten and he plays cat and mouse with it,batting it around on
the floor.It moves very easily on a tile kitchen floor . He also carries it
around with him. Of couse when he tries to get a better grip on it with his
teeth he drops it and the cat & mouse game starts over again.

Ed Christie

MacCandace

Mar 9, 2002, 1:28:40 PM3/9/02
<< THe question isdoes a cat have a transparent eye lid underneath the outside
one.
I kept racing pigeons at one time and the birds had oa seconed eye lid that the
closed when flying to keep debris that might be in the air out of there eyes
when flying. Ialso had a dog at one time and he became sick and the inner eye
lid started to droop to the point where it became visible. I asked someonr
maybe
a vet and he said that most dogs have this seconed eye lid but don't have any
use for it today, so it is rarely seen. Can someone with more Knowledge then I
confirm or doubt this in relation to cats. >>

Yes, cats have a nictating membrane or third eyelid as it is commonly called.
Some cats have a little of it visible at all times (my experience is that
round-eyed cats have it less visible than almond-shaped eye cats) and it is
frequently visible when they have just woken up or are very sleepy. But if it
remains visible and starts to cover more than just the inside corner of their
eyes, it is generally an indication that they are ill. This was the first
symptom my little Abbey showed last week and she had a fever (she's okay now
after antibiotics).

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

Priscilla Ballou

Mar 9, 2002, 4:38:34 PM3/9/02
In article <8i6k8u8rh9n5gvj1h...@4ax.com>,

echr...@alltel.net wrote:

> The new toy for our kitten is a half of a pistachio shell. He seems to know
> that
> it is not to be eaten and he plays cat and mouse with it,batting it around on
> the floor.It moves very easily on a tile kitchen floor . He also carries it
> around with him. Of couse when he tries to get a better grip on it with his
> teeth he drops it and the cat & mouse game starts over again.

Hey, hey! Your kitten is a cheap date. ;-) Most cats are. I spend
bucks on fancy toys but then it's the plastic curl off the milk bottle
they want.

I take fish oil capsules in the morning, two daily, and the other
morning I fumbled them and they ended up on the floor. Caley, the
sharpest of my three immediately knew what they were and grabbed one in
her mouth and made off with it. Sebbie nosed at the other a bit but
then decided it must be a toy and started batting it around the floor.
"Sebbie!" I called, "you're missing out!" I picked it up, pierced it
with my fingernail and offered it to him again. AHA! his little furry
brain said, and this time he gobbled it down.

Priscilla
--
S plussize L 48 into gardening, cooking, SF, progressive Christian
theology, seeks apt and amusing .sig for her Usenet posts. Reply to

Wendy Hankins

Mar 10, 2002, 1:14:03 AM3/10/02

> Hey, hey! Your kitten is a cheap date. ;-) Most cats are. I spend
> bucks on fancy toys but then it's the plastic curl off the milk bottle
> they want.

we have one cat that HAD to have been a dog in a previous life. she picks
up anything she can find from those plastic thingies you mentioned from the
milk jug to money to SPOONS and she hides them. one day i was cleaning out
from under the kids beds and found 4 spoons, my fiancee's car keys he
thought he lost, 2 quarters and a dime, 3 socks we assumed the dryer
monster ate, a lighter, several small balls of my yarn, a small stack of
dixie cups we lost from the bathroom, several "animal" (twistie) balloons,
a pencil, and several of the kids matchbox cars, and more but i dont
recall everything. only what i thought was extremely weird for a cat to
be hoarding. and if you arent careful when putting shoes on, you will find
anyhting i listed above and more inside your shoes. is it normal for a cat
to be a pack rat too?

wendy

--
The address above is a spam trap, ROT-13 the following for the real
address.

Megan

Mar 10, 2002, 8:18:57 AM3/10/02
> we have one cat that HAD to have been a dog in a previous life. she picks
> up anything she can find from those plastic thingies you mentioned from
the
> milk jug to money to SPOONS and she hides them. one day i was cleaning
out
> from under the kids beds and found 4 spoons, my fiancee's car keys he
> thought he lost, 2 quarters and a dime, 3 socks we assumed the dryer
> monster ate, a lighter, several small balls of my yarn, a small stack of
> dixie cups we lost from the bathroom, several "animal" (twistie) balloons,
> a pencil, and several of the kids matchbox cars, and more but i dont
> recall everything. only what i thought was extremely weird for a cat to
> be hoarding. and if you arent careful when putting shoes on, you will
find
> anyhting i listed above and more inside your shoes. is it normal for a
cat
> to be a pack rat too?
>
> wendy

Yes!!

One of the kitties I had in the US (who now lives with my Mom since I moved
to the UK) is a hoarder! He would steal my stuff and store it under the
futon. Once a week I would peer underneath and there would be all sorts of
stuff. My Mom emailed me to say that Grubb had hijacked a paint roller
sheath - the fuzzy part, one paintbrush, and some tape. All had been closed
up in a bag since it was new. He carried it up the stairs and through the
cat-flap and stuffed it under the rocking chair. In fact, when I was home
visiting in January, I woke up every morning with some strange object on my
pillow.. the oddest being a gummy worm with the end sort of gnashed up!

Gripe doesn't really hoard much but she tends to strew all her toys across
the flat. When I wander out in the morning, it looks like a cat toy bomb has
gone off!

Meg