Close To Giving Up

Babs

Jul 18, 2002, 1:33:08 PM7/18/02
x-no-archive=yes

Hello,

I had posted in the past about a stray we took in, and she's been living
in our screen room since early December. I've named her Abby.

To cut to the chase, she was frightened then of humans, and we couldn't
get near her; she wouldn't allow either of us to touch her. Well, we've been
going out to visit with her daily; speaking to her in a soft voice. She's
still not willing to let us touch her, and she hisses and runs whenever we get
too close.

I think it's a long time for this behavior to still be going on. I love the
little bugger, and I just don't think she'll ever become tame. If anyone has
any suggestions and/or comments, please do let me know as I'm at wits end.

Hugs & Smiles,
Barb/Babs

Karen

Jul 18, 2002, 1:37:22 PM7/18/02
Have you tried using some Feliway on the porch? Perhaps it would soften her
up?

Karen

"Babs" <bab...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

m...@webtv.net

Jul 18, 2002, 3:04:15 PM7/18/02

<<<From: kchu...@hotmail.com (Karen)
Have you tried using some Feliway on the porch? Perhaps it would soften
her up?
Karen >>>

You might also want to look into using Bach's flower remedies esp.
Rescue Remedy. They can usually be found at health food stores. You can
add several drops in her water dish. I have seen posts from others who
have used RR successfully with feral cats. A search on google.com will
give you a lot on info to help you decide if it might work for Abby.

Good luck with Abby. With such a sweet name I'm sure it will only be a
matter of time before she comes around.

Michele
(N.C.)

Beth

Jul 18, 2002, 4:11:57 PM7/18/02
"Babs" <bab...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Based on this description, Abby is more than just a stray, she's feral --
and it can take ferals a very long time to overcome their fear of humans, if
they ever do.

I think that anyone who's ever lived with a feral cat would ask you, what's
wrong with maintaining the status quo? She's safe and cared for. Let
things be and let her overcome her fear at her own pace, and don't try to
push it by approaching too close to her. Just go and hang out with her in
the screen room, so she can continue to get accustomed to your physical
presence, while letting her have her space - when you get to close to her
before she's ready, you just reinforce her fear. This is not an issue you
can force. With patience and some luck, maybe one of these days she'll
approach you on her own. And maybe she won't. You need to be willing to
accept her on her terms, whatever they may be.

Feral cats do tend to bond strongly with other cats. Does Abby have any
kitty companionship at all? If she had a companion that wasn't feral, it
might help or at the very least she might be a happier cat.

Portia

Jul 18, 2002, 6:08:04 PM7/18/02
THat must be the toughest thing. I can imagine it must have been so
difficult to leave her behind.

I guess with cats we sometimes have to look at the big picture. Their
world, their way of thinking, is so different from ours. They have a choice
of where they want to go and who they want to spend time with. Ultimately
'your' cat had the chance to come and live with you, and no doubt it had
considered that as an option, but it made the choice to stay free.

I'd like to think (if it happened to me) that the cat spent some time
observing you curiously, gazing into your life and your world, then watched
you move on. Possibly it thought: "Oh well. Humans, eh?" And went off to
look for something else entertaining.

Sometimes I catch my cats (particularly Cougar who seems to think more than
the other two) watching me with an expression of slightly bored curiosity,
especially when I'm doing something slightly daft.

Portia

<equalizer> wrote in message

> [...]
>
> I was living in a small apartment in an area of town with many ferals.
> At that time, I hadn't been enslaved by my present cats (also former
> ferals), and didn't know what a feral was. I had a "live and let live"
> attitude towards homeless cats, and decided they were free and just let
> them be. I used to throw scraps out to a few, and chased the males away
> when they started fighting. Then one day, a little black and white cat
> started showing up. I threw scraps of food out, then over time that
> progressed to saucers of milk. She'd start coming around daily, and soon
> I was picking up dry cat food along with my groceries and feeding her.
> This went on for almost 2 years, and during all that time, she'd never
> let me get close. She had a very endearing quality though -- if I left
> the door open in the kitchen, she'd come in, a few feet into the
> apartment, and just sit there, watching me. It got to where I'd put her
> food just inside the door if it was raining out, or else would just sit
> and work on the computer while she'd sit just inside the door. She'd get
> so comfortable she'd start to dose, but if I got out of my seat and made
> even one step, out the door she's fly.
>
> Well, of course, after two years of this, I was getting attached, but I
> never, ever made progress with getting her trust to approach her. Once I
> even tried sneaking out a window while she was inside, to shut the door
> and keep her in, but she read my mind and by the time I was out that
> window, she was long gone.
>
> The break came on a particularly windy day. I was sitting in the room,
> on the computer, and the little stray was at her place in the kitchen.
> Actually, by this time, she'd gotten to the point where she was inching
> her way deeper into the room, so at this point she was about 4 feet into
> the room and from the door. She was just meat loafed on the floor,
> keeping me company. Suddenly, a wind gust came up and blew the door
> solidly shut. She instantly bolted for it, and then realized she was
> trapped. I could simply walk right up to her, but when I did, she just
> started crying pitifully. Unfortunately, my "live and let live"
> mentality kicked in, and I decided to open the door, as I wanted to gain
> her trust.
>
> I lived there for 6 more months, and never got any closer to getting her
> trust, although she continued to return and come in the door. In the
> last few weeks before I moved out, even though I didn't want a cat, I
> decided if I could just get her I'd take care of her. It was so horrible
> as I was moving out, loading up the truck on multiple trips while she
> was siting there watching me, and I tried to get her to come to me. As I
> left for the last time, all I could do was dump out the last of her food
> outside so she'd have something to eat. I saw her a few weeks later,
> looking scruffier and wilder. It's a tough memory, even 4 years later.

Cheryl

Jul 18, 2002, 6:55:46 PM7/18/02
What a sad but heartwarming story. At least she let you be a part of her
life for that time. You never know, maybe with your gentle treatment of her
she learned to trust someone else in at least that same way. Maybe even
more. :)

KarenB

Jul 18, 2002, 8:47:13 PM7/18/02

"Babs" <bab...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> x-no-archive=yes

Please be patient and give her more time. We've had ferals that have taken
years to even get to the point that they wouldn't throw themselves against
the walls when a person went in the room. Or perhaps find a foster who
knows how to deal with ferals. In the worst scenario, get her needled and
neutered and if it's safe, re-release her where she was.

Babs

Jul 18, 2002, 8:48:50 PM7/18/02
"Beth" <nos...@invalid.com> wrote in message

> "Babs" <bab...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > x-no-archive=yes
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I had posted in the past about a stray we took in, and she's been living
> > in our screen room since early December. I've named her Abby.
> >
> > To cut to the chase, she was frightened then of humans, and we couldn't
> > get near her; she wouldn't allow either of us to touch her. Well, we've
> been
> > going out to visit with her daily; speaking to her in a soft voice.
She's
> > still not willing to let us touch her, and she hisses and runs whenever
we
> get
> > too close.
> >
> > I think it's a long time for this behavior to still be going on. I love
> the
> > little bugger, and I just don't think she'll ever become tame. If
anyone
> has
> > any suggestions and/or comments, please do let me know as I'm at wits
end.

> Based on this description, Abby is more than just a stray, she's feral --
> and it can take ferals a very long time to overcome their fear of humans,
if
> they ever do.
>
> I think that anyone who's ever lived with a feral cat would ask you,
what's
> wrong with maintaining the status quo? She's safe and cared for. Let
> things be and let her overcome her fear at her own pace, and don't try to
> push it by approaching too close to her. Just go and hang out with her
in
> the screen room, so she can continue to get accustomed to your physical
> presence, while letting her have her space - when you get to close to her
> before she's ready, you just reinforce her fear. This is not an issue you
> can force. With patience and some luck, maybe one of these days she'll
> approach you on her own. And maybe she won't. You need to be willing to
> accept her on her terms, whatever they may be.
>
> Feral cats do tend to bond strongly with other cats. Does Abby have any
> kitty companionship at all? If she had a companion that wasn't feral, it
> might help or at the very least she might be a happier cat.

I understand and appreciate what you've stated, and I guess it couldn't
hurt to have things 'status quo.' I know that she's safe and well cared
for.

Abby just LOVES it whenever our Samantha and Emma go to the screen
door; she rubs up against it, and wants very much to be with Emma and
Sammy. But, I cannot allow that as Abby hasn't been to the vet and I
don't want to take risks. Our vet suggested that we get a 'have a heart
trap,' and to bring her in for a physical as soon as we can trap her. Gosh,
I truly hate doing that [e.g. trapping], but I guess it's the only way to
get
her to the vet for shots, etc.

Thank you for your wonderful suggestions, and "Thanks To Everyone Else
Who Responded."

Hugs & Smiles,
Barb/Babs
http://www.bpfrommer.com

PawsForThought

Jul 18, 2002, 9:28:11 PM7/18/02
>From: <A HREF="mailto:equalizer<>">equalizer<>

>It was so horrible
>as I was moving out, loading up the truck on multiple trips while she
>was siting there watching me, and I tried to get her to come to me. As I
>left for the last time, all I could do was dump out the last of her food
>outside so she'd have something to eat. I saw her a few weeks later,
>looking scruffier and wilder. It's a tough memory, even 4 years later.
>

>ed

What a sad story :( I'm sorry you were never able to tame the kitty. I"m sure
she enjoyed being with you, even though it was from a distance.

Lauren

_________
=^..^=
Sandpaper kisses on a cheek or a chin-that is the way for a day to begin!
See my cats: http://www.picturetrail.com/mickey4paws/703043

Beth

Jul 18, 2002, 9:41:26 PM7/18/02

> > Feral cats do tend to bond strongly with other cats. Does Abby have any
> > kitty companionship at all? If she had a companion that wasn't feral,
it
> > might help or at the very least she might be a happier cat.
>
> I understand and appreciate what you've stated, and I guess it couldn't
> hurt to have things 'status quo.' I know that she's safe and well cared
> for.
>
> Abby just LOVES it whenever our Samantha and Emma go to the screen
> door; she rubs up against it, and wants very much to be with Emma and
> Sammy. But, I cannot allow that as Abby hasn't been to the vet and I
> don't want to take risks. Our vet suggested that we get a 'have a heart
> trap,' and to bring her in for a physical as soon as we can trap her.
Gosh,
> I truly hate doing that [e.g. trapping], but I guess it's the only way to
> get
> her to the vet for shots, etc.

Yes, and it's critical that you do this ASAP. She has to be tested for all
the usual diseases and for parasites for starters, vaccinated and de-wormed
as appropriate, and spayed if she hasn't already been. If she tests
negative for FeLeuk and FIV she can then be integrated with the rest of your
household with no problem; if she tests positive, she'll probably have to
stay in her own room.

Abby will be fine; most vets are accustomed to handling ferals. She won't
be happy during this process, but she'll get over it.

I know people who share their homes with ferals; as long as everyone
respects each others' space, they all get along fine. And the ferals
usually love the other cats in the house.

zuz...@webtv.net

Jul 18, 2002, 10:54:01 PM7/18/02

Visiting her on the porch once a day is not enough, and you will need to
take a "hands on" approach if you want to tame this cat. This means
bringing her indoors and starting her off in a cage, preferably the two
story "playpens" that are available online. You need to have her in a
confined area where she cannot hide from you and you can easily get
within touching distance. The playpens are the best for this purpose as
the cat has more room than in a standard kennel, and also has two
shelves of varying heights to lie on, with plenty of room on the cage
floor for a litterbox. There are also two doors which makes contact with
the cat much easier. For my cage I wrapped a 30 inch section of two by
four with sisal rope and affixed it to one corner inside of the cage and
that worked nicely as a scratching post, which the cat should have as
this is a long term project. A cardboard scratcher will work as well.

While there are some ferals that never become totally tame, they can at
the very least be acclimated to life indoors and co-exist peacefully
with humans and other cats. So, regardless of how Abby progresses, there
is no reason why she can't become a permanent member of the household.

You must first trap this cat with a humane trap and take her to a vet
for testing, etc. before you bring her inside. You will also need to
invest in a set of welding gloves which can be purchased at places like
Home Depot. You can see an example of what they look like in this
picture (they are the blue gloves in the foreground):
http://pic4.picturetrail.com:80/VOL51/476350/932236/11174022.jpg

Once you bring Abby home, you can start her off in the cage, making sure
to place the cage where you AND the other cats spend most of your time.
It is important for Abby to see you interacting with the other cats and
show that you are not a threat. You will also need to feed her on a
schedule, as she should associate you with food.

You can start the process by trying to gently touch her through the bars
of the cage when she is lying on one of the shelves. Use the feather on
a stick toy you can buy at Petsmart and also try gently using your
fingers if she is close enough to the bars that you can touch her
without putting your fingers in very far. She may hiss and/or swat in
the beginning, but if you are consistent with this on a daily basis this
will subside.

The next step will be to put the gloves on and place your hand inside
the cage, followed by making short attempts to touch her. Again, she may
hiss and swat, or even try to bite at first. You must remain calm and
consistent and gradually you should be able to start to touch her
lightly and work into stroking and petting.

Once she accepts this, you can take the glove off, rest it flat on top
of your hand and start using your bare hand. Eventually you should be
able to use your bare hand and not need the glove, although when you
progress to the point of actually picking her up to take her out of the
cage you may want to wear them for awhile just in case she gets spooked
while you are holding her.

When you get her to the point where you can handle her with the gloves
off, the next step will be to take her on short forays outside of the
cage. I don't recommend just letting her loose, and the best control
will be to purchase a walking jacket (this is the only acceptable
harness for this purpose) and leash and use them to control where and
how far she goes. As time goes on you will be able to guage by her
behavior just how far to let her go and when you can start letting her
out without the jacket on. Here is an example of a feral cat I have
tamed with his walking jacket on when I was just starting to take him
out of the cage and at first just kept him on the bed with me:
http://pic4.picturetrail.com:80/VOL51/476350/610342/11173966.jpg

To begin with I put the jacket on him many times inside the cage, just
starting with the neck strap and slowly getting to the point where I
could put the other strap around his belly and hook it. I gradually made
adjustments until it fit him properly, and then started actually taking
him out after he got used to wearing it. I should note here that it took
at least 3 months for him to get to this point (he was a hardcore
feral), but it was not a major production that took up all my spare
time. It's simply a matter of being patient, consistent and committed to
the program, and is absolutely doable. It may be that Abby comes around
more quickly than this one did, but I have worked with a lot of feral
adults and the average for decent progress seems to be about 3 months so
don't get discouraged if things don't improve right away.

As time goes on, whether she tames completely or not, you should be able
to eventually take the jacket off and allow her in the rest of the house
on her own, then eventually dismantle the cage. The feral I described
here has been out and had the run of the house for quite awhile now, but
I still have the cage up as he feels secure there and goes in it on his
own to sleep quite often. I'll take it down probably in another month or
so.

I hope this helps and also hope you can get the ball rolling soon. Abby
should not continue to be isolated on the porch for much longer,
especially since she seems to like your cats and desire their company.
It's going to take some time, and you may feel a little guilty for
caging her to start with, but don't. Ferals generally take to the cage
quite well and feel secure there, and in the grand scheme of things a
few months is nothing compared to what can eventually be a happy
lifetime safe indoors with companionship, which hopefully will be feline
AND human.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

Patrick Boeckstijns

Jul 19, 2002, 9:05:31 AM7/19/02

"Babs" <bab...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

It's not easy. Four years ago I found a feral kitten in my back yard. I fed
her for several months outside and still could't get near her.
Finally I managed to lure her inside the house with food and keep her inside
for allmost a year. She eventually adapted and sometimes would come when
called. I could ocasionally pet her head but only for a second or so during
wich strangely enough she would keep growling and hissing. After that year
she escaped during a particulary noisy new year fireworksshow. In panic the
cats had managed to wreck the catdoor. She disapeared for three weeks and
was found by a neighbor. In that time she'd become totally wild again. I
managed to catch her and had to start "domesticating" her all over again.
She's with us four years now and she still doesn't really like human or
feline company.
These days she does go outside regularly but allways comes back to sleep
inside.
We called her Grumpy because of that. I guess she'll stay like that for the
rest of her life. The situation gets very problematic when she's ill. I have
to wait untill she's too ill to run or fight before taking her to the vet.
Any movement towards her results in running away. She bit me badly twice.
Still it is possible to have eye contact from a (for her) confortable
distance and talk. She does like that, blinks her eyes and even starts
purring.
Strange.

Best Reagrds,

Karen M.

Jul 19, 2002, 12:25:56 PM7/19/02
Megan,
That was a great post for *anyone*. I just copied it and pasted it
into a text file so I have it handy. I know a lot of people who are
starting to take care of feral colonies, including here at work.
Thanks for the information, I'm sure you just helped a lot of people!
:)

Karen M.

Arjun Ray

Jul 20, 2002, 3:36:10 AM7/20/02
In <e006b843.02071...@posting.google.com>,
msk...@easystreet.com (Karen M.) wrote:

|> Visiting her on the porch once a day is not enough, and you will need

|> to take a "hands on" approach if you want to tame this cat. [...]

| Megan,
| That was a great post for *anyone*. I just copied it and pasted it
| into a text file so I have it handy.

Now you have me wondering how long it'll take for this to show up as,
um, original copyrighted material, on sniksnak.com ;-)

Seriously, this was an excellent post. I have only two comments:

(1) Gloves: ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL!! I know of a sticky rescue situation
where someone has gone about the socialization of a cat all wrong. (The
cat isn't even truly feral: just a systematically neglected and finally
abandoned cat from a tame litter) She tried to approach the problem as
if he were a kitten - oh, stroke it a couple of times and you'll be able
to pick it up, piece of cake - then got badly swatted at a few times,
and now has the cat aware of her fear. The gloves are not only for your
protection but also to make it easy to approach the cat confidently - an
emotional "vibe" that the cat *will* pick up.

(2) Initial Physical contact: I didn't have much success with feather
toys, because the cat's reaction was to try and play with it. Instead,
I'm using a long handled back brush (with nylon bristles, not too hard).
My feral loves the stroking - but only up to a point. It's important
not to overdo it - they can get overstimulated and suddenly lash out.

Consistency, patience and persistence: that's the formula :-)

The Puppy Wizard

Jul 21, 2002, 9:54:44 PM7/21/02
Of course effective scientific and psychological conditioning
and desensitization techniques would hardly be worthwhile
in the face of abundant LUCK.

Now get the heel outta here. j;-)

On 20 Jul 2002 02:36:10 -0500, Arjun Ray <ar...@nmds.com.invalid>

amp11

Jul 30, 2002, 4:09:37 PM7/30/02
I just wanted to chime in with my experience with two ferals that I have. One
was about 8 - 10 months old and one was about 2 years old (I had seen her
occasionally for several years since she was a young cat, and she always ran
when she saw me).

When first brought into the house, they were in a small room with lots of hiding
spaces. They had food and water at all times, and I put out a little canned
catfood when I went into the room, setting it out closer and closer to myself.
The 8 month old became friendly enough to touch within a few months. The older
cat was slower to become friendly, but once she started trusting me to touch her
lightly while she ate the canned cat food, it was only a few weeks before she
became friendly enough to pet her. Now she jumps on my lap whenever I am on the
computer and demands some attention. She still hides when other people come
into the house and I make sure that she stays inside.

The whole process of taming took approximately 2 years, but she sure is a
delightful cat!

Allan

(to email directly, remove the part of the address that starts with "please")