cat heart beat

amy

Dec 5, 2003, 5:56:41 PM12/5/03
Is in normal for a cats heartbeat to quicken upon inspiration?

Karen

Dec 5, 2003, 6:00:13 PM12/5/03
Inspiration? I suppose if they have a really, really good idea they might
get excited about it.....

Karen
"amy" <amy...@netzero.net> wrote in message

Yngver

Dec 5, 2003, 6:11:13 PM12/5/03
amy...@netzero.net (amy) wrote:

>Is in normal for a cats heartbeat to quicken upon inspiration?

I don't know exactly, but I have observed that their hearbeats can quicken for
almost any reason--such as when another cat walks in the room or a favorite toy
suddenly appears.

Mary

Dec 5, 2003, 6:34:37 PM12/5/03

"amy" <amy...@netzero.net> wrote in message
> Is in normal for a cats heartbeat to quicken upon inspiration?

I wouldn't think so. But this brings up a question I wanted to ask:

What is a normal heart rate for a healthy cat? What is the normal
range, i.e. resting to really, really scared due to being at the vet?

PawsForThought

Dec 5, 2003, 8:00:47 PM12/5/03
>From: "Mary" ros...@email.com
>Date: 12/5/2003 6:34 PM Eastern

>I wouldn't think so. But this brings up a question I wanted to ask:
>
>What is a normal heart rate for a healthy cat? What is the normal
>range, i.e. resting to really, really scared due to being at the vet?

The normal range for a cat is 110-130 beats/minute. A cat's pulse can be taken
along the femoral artery, the inner thigh, or under the arm.

Lauren

________

Yngver

Dec 5, 2003, 10:23:11 PM12/5/03
>>What is a normal heart rate for a healthy cat? What is the normal
>>range, i.e. resting to really, really scared due to being at the vet?
>
>The normal range for a cat is 110-130 beats/minute. A cat's pulse can be
>taken
>along the femoral artery, the inner thigh, or under the arm.

It can go sky high at the vet's, though, well over 200 bpm. With one of our
cats, I can feel her heart pounding away when I'm holding her while the vet
listens with the stethoscope. I sometimes wonder how they can really tell the
difference between an abnormally fast heartbeat and a cat that's really scared
because she's had some unpleasant experiences at the vet's.

I think to get the normal range, you need to take the pulse rate at home, while
the cat is calm and resting. Unfortunately I've seen different values for a
normal range given by different sources. PetPlace says 160-220 is normal.
Petfinder says anywhere up to 240. I've also seen the 110-130 rate listed.

Mary

Dec 5, 2003, 10:53:51 PM12/5/03

"PawsForThought" <dar...@aol.comnolitter> wrote in message

> >From: "Mary" ros...@email.com
> >Date: 12/5/2003 6:34 PM Eastern
>
> >I wouldn't think so. But this brings up a question I wanted to ask:
> >
> >What is a normal heart rate for a healthy cat? What is the normal
> >range, i.e. resting to really, really scared due to being at the
vet?

> The normal range for a cat is 110-130 beats/minute. A cat's pulse
can be taken
> along the femoral artery, the inner thigh, or under the arm.
>
> Lauren/

Thank you, Lauren. Would you agree that a heart rate of 300 in a cat
that was terribly upset to be at the vet might be a certain symptom of
hyperthyroidism? (A vet suggested this about an overweight cat who was
in every other way normal, thyroid levels included.)

Mary

Dec 5, 2003, 10:59:10 PM12/5/03

"Yngver" <yng...@aol.comnospam> wrote in message

Well this makes sense to me. Based on her heart rate alone, a vet
wants us to treat our 8-year-old for hyperthyroidism based upon a
heart rate of 300 bpm when she is visibly upset and howling. (She just
hates going to the vet.) She is overweight but very playful and
active, a happy girl with a shiny coat, normal eyes, a good appetitite
(!) great litterbox habits, no abnormal vocalization, no problems at
all. He says (though he tested her thyroxin levels and found them to
be in the normal range but on the high side within it) that she might
"throw a blood clot" and so we need to subject her to surgery,
radiation, or pills.

I think I will test her resting heart rate while she is here at home
and relaxed.

Adam Helberg

Dec 6, 2003, 1:22:02 AM12/6/03

"amy" <amy...@netzero.net> wrote in message
> Is in normal for a cats heartbeat to quicken upon inspiration?
In the human the heart rate varies with respiration so I would presume it's also true
for cats. The reason is blood pressure drops with inspiration and the normal reflex
is to increase heart rate.

Adam

MacCandace

Dec 7, 2003, 8:50:32 PM12/7/03
<< Inspiration? I suppose if they have a really, really good idea they might
get excited about it.....

Karen >>

haha, but it does have another meaning:
2 : the act of drawing in; specifically : the drawing of air into the lungs

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Karen

Dec 7, 2003, 11:53:31 PM12/7/03
in article 20031207205032...@mb-m16.aol.com, MacCandace at
macca...@aol.comlitter wrote on 12/7/03 7:50 PM:

> << Inspiration? I suppose if they have a really, really good idea they might
> get excited about it.....
>
> Karen >>
>
> haha, but it does have another meaning:
> 2 : the act of drawing in; specifically : the drawing of air into the lungs
>

> Candace
> (take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

I know. But I couldn't resist.

Karen

Phil P.

Dec 8, 2003, 7:04:21 AM12/8/03

"amy" <amy...@netzero.net> wrote in message
> Is in normal for a cats heartbeat to quicken upon inspiration?

Yes.... Inspiration causes heart rate to speed up because vagal tone
decreases -- during expiration vagal tone increases and the heart rate slows
down. But I don't think you can detect the change by feel or
auscultation... at least I can't without an ECG -- and I have an electronic
stethoscope.

Phil

Phil P.

Dec 8, 2003, 7:06:53 AM12/8/03

"PawsForThought" <dar...@aol.comnolitter> wrote in message

> The normal range for a cat is 110-130 beats/minute. A cat's pulse can be
taken
> along the femoral artery, the inner thigh, or under the arm.

The femoral artery or the inner thigh, huh? LOL! Which artery do you think
is palpatated in the inner thigh....? Where do you think the femoral
artery is - in the neck? The femoral artery is in the inner thigh - that's
the artery that's palpitated when monitoring heart rate. Feline anatomy
isn't your strong suit, either....

http://www.maxshouse.com/PreventativeHealth.htm

http://www.maxshouse.com/PreventHealthPics/checking_pulse.jpg

Mary

Dec 8, 2003, 11:05:58 AM12/8/03

"Karen" <kchu...@alltelPOP.netGOAWAY> wrote in message

And they do get inspired! This morning, Buddha felt moved to charge
Cheeky like a bull and Cheeks, taken by surprise, leapt straight up in
the air, landed on the kitchen table, and went flying because it was
covered with slick Christmas catalogs! Cheeks gave me a hilarious look
as she whizzed by!

;)

Yngver

Dec 8, 2003, 11:45:08 AM12/8/03
"Mary" ros...@email.com wrote:

>Well this makes sense to me. Based on her heart rate alone, a vet
>wants us to treat our 8-year-old for hyperthyroidism based upon a
>heart rate of 300 bpm when she is visibly upset and howling. (She just
>hates going to the vet.) She is overweight but very playful and
>active, a happy girl with a shiny coat, normal eyes, a good appetitite
>(!) great litterbox habits, no abnormal vocalization, no problems at
>all. He says (though he tested her thyroxin levels and found them to
>be in the normal range but on the high side within it) that she might
>"throw a blood clot" and so we need to subject her to surgery,
>radiation, or pills.
>
>I think I will test her resting heart rate while she is here at home
>and relaxed.

Good idea. 300 is pretty high, true--did the vet test her for hypertension? I'm
not sure I'd jump to the conclusion that's she's got hyperthyroidism just
because of a very high heart rate, but I'm not a vet.

Karen

Dec 8, 2003, 12:52:14 PM12/8/03
in article Gj1Bb.85030$I53.4...@twister.southeast.rr.com, Mary at
ros...@email.com wrote on 12/8/03 10:05 AM:

It's hilarious when they do that.

Karen

Mary

Dec 8, 2003, 9:48:45 PM12/8/03

> >I think I will test her resting heart rate while she is here at
home
> >and relaxed.
> >

> Good idea. 300 is pretty high, true--did the vet test her for
hypertension?

I don't k now the answer to that. I had better call and ask.

I'm
> not sure I'd jump to the conclusion that's she's got hyperthyroidism
just
> because of a very high heart rate, but I'm not a vet.

Me either. I have her on diet cat food and a high-play regimen now, so
hopefully she will lose some weight. I do want to be sure she is not
hyperthyroid, so I had better take her back to the vet. First I will
get her resting heart rate, though. I imagine I can feel her pulse at
her throat?

Mary

Dec 8, 2003, 10:02:36 PM12/8/03

"Karen" <kchu...@alltelPOP.netGOAWAY> wrote in message

> > And they do get inspired! This morning, Buddha felt moved to
charge
> > Cheeky like a bull and Cheeks, taken by surprise, leapt straight
up in
> > the air, landed on the kitchen table, and went flying because it
was
> > covered with slick Christmas catalogs! Cheeks gave me a hilarious
look
> > as she whizzed by!
> >
> > ;)
> >

> It's hilarious when they do that.

Have you seen gray tabbies that have a lot of white around their
mouths, and charcoal instead of pink around their lips? When at rest
they appear to have a constant "Felix" smile, and Cheek's expressions
are even more exaggerated because she has such an angular face and
huge pale green eyes. And she is such a wirey, lanky girl. I don't
know if I am conveying it right, but the end result is a cat with a
very expressive face. The tech at the vet looked at her when I was
putting her back in her carrier after her last dep shot and said "her
face is hilarious." She is a beautiful tabby but a true drama queen.
:)

Yngver

Dec 9, 2003, 10:58:46 AM12/9/03
"Mary" ros...@email.com wrote:

>Me either. I have her on diet cat food and a high-play regimen now, so
>hopefully she will lose some weight. I do want to be sure she is not
>hyperthyroid, so I had better take her back to the vet. First I will
>get her resting heart rate, though. I imagine I can feel her pulse at
>her throat?

The best place to find the pulse is supposed to be in the groin area, just
along the area where the underside of the back leg meets the lower abdomen. (if
that makes sense.) But I think anywhere you can feel a pulse would be all
right. I've had more luck feeling it under the front leg against the chest.

I would think that resting heart rate would be the most accurate way to judge,
as it is in human beings. Although your cat is overweight, has she been losing
weight? One of the hallmarks of feline hyperthyroidism is weight loss despite a
healthy appetite. In an already pudgy cat, you might not notice at first--my
sister's cat, who was obese, developed hyperthyroidism and she initially
thought he was losing weight because she had moved to a bigger house and he was
more active. He is still overweight, although not as much, so it's possible for
a chubby cat to have hyperthyroidism.

If the thyroid tests were borderline, I think I would want some further testing
before deciding on treating for hyperthyroidism.

Mary

Dec 9, 2003, 12:10:26 PM12/9/03

> "Mary" ros...@email.com wrote:
>

> I would think that resting heart rate would be the most accurate way
to judge,
> as it is in human beings. Although your cat is overweight, has she
been losing
> weight? One of the hallmarks of feline hyperthyroidism is weight
loss despite a
> healthy appetite.

No! We wish! She is such a chow hound, she purrs the whole time she
eats and she has never lost any weight. I have her on Iams weight loss
now. She likes it, but patrols for goodies all the time. Cheeky is the
opposite--underweight, so I give her extra wet food--which Buddha
smells and then lurks like a vulture until she can get at it. I call
her the Tuxedo Terrorist. Very sneaky, very singleminded. She is a
petite femal who weighed in last time at 16 pounds.

> In an already pudgy cat, you might not notice at first--my
> sister's cat, who was obese, developed hyperthyroidism and she
initially
> thought he was losing weight because she had moved to a bigger house
and he was
> more active. He is still overweight, although not as much, so it's
possible for
> a chubby cat to have hyperthyroidism.

I will monitor it. After I chech her pulse at home, it is time for
another vet visit.

> If the thyroid tests were borderline, I think I would want some
further testing
> before deciding on treating for hyperthyroidism.

Thank you for your advice. I don't want to deny her treatment if she
needs it, but she is such a happy, robust girl, I don't want to put
her through any hellish treatment she does not need either.

Yngver

Dec 9, 2003, 4:31:34 PM12/9/03
Mary" ros...@email.com wrote:

>I will monitor it. After I chech her pulse at home, it is time for
>another vet visit.
>
>> If the thyroid tests were borderline, I think I would want some
>further testing
>> before deciding on treating for hyperthyroidism.
>
>Thank you for your advice. I don't want to deny her treatment if she
>needs it, but she is such a happy, robust girl, I don't want to put
>her through any hellish treatment she does not need either.

Both my sister's cat and a close friend's cat developed hyperthyroidism
recently, and one of the signs was that they both started losing weight even
though they were eating well. I guess it's possible to have it without losing
weight, but I've never heard of that. However, neither one of them is being
treated with surgery or radiation at this point. They are on tapazole, a pill
that most cats tolerate fairly well. It doesn't cure the problem but it's
another option if, like my sister and my friend, you aren't willing to go to
more drastic therapies just yet. I'm surprised your vet didn't mention this.

Mary

Dec 9, 2003, 5:30:02 PM12/9/03

> They are on tapazole, a pill
> that most cats tolerate fairly well. It doesn't cure the problem but
it's
> another option if, like my sister and my friend, you aren't willing
to go to
> more drastic therapies just yet. I'm surprised your vet didn't
mention this.

Is this pill outrageously expensive? I recall that the least invasive
procedure involved a pill treatment but the vet noted pessimistically
that it was something crazy like $800 for the entire treatment. Of
course I would do it if she needs it.

Cathy Friedmann

Dec 9, 2003, 6:20:56 PM12/9/03

"Mary" <ros...@email.com> wrote in message

Maybe the vet was talking about a different pill? Tapazole is a relatively
cheap medication. I take it myself, as did one of my cats for a while. I
can't give you the cost per pill (say, a 5mg one) because my prescription
co-pay is $3.00 per vial of 30 tabs for its generic, which is methimazole.
However, when I was buying Tapazole from the vet (the cat was diagnosed as
being hyperthyroid & took it before I was diagnosed), it was not an
expensive drug.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Yngver

Dec 10, 2003, 4:52:55 PM12/10/03
"Mary" ros...@email.com wrote:

>Is this pill outrageously expensive? I recall that the least invasive
>procedure involved a pill treatment but the vet noted pessimistically
>that it was something crazy like $800 for the entire treatment. Of
>course I would do it if she needs it.

I was just talking with my friend about this, the one whose cat was just
diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. Tapazole is not expensive, as Cathy mentioned.
My friend's vet told her it only gets expensive if the cat lives a long time,
because she will have to be on the pills the rest of her life. However, if you
were to add in the necessary monitoring and blood tests to check thyroid
levels, I suppose it can add up.

However, I think I found what your vet was referring to:
http://www.radiocat.com/section5.html
That $800 is a figure given by the makers of Radiocat, who naturally want you
to use their radioidine product rather than choose pills.

I also found this which you might find interesting, although it's also written
by a clinic that specializes in radiation treatment:
http://www.felinehtc.com/faq.htm
What caught my eye is that he says that "Severe heart disease secondary to
hyperthyroidism can occur even prior to weight loss. Hyperthyroid cats' heart
rates are often between 220 - 350 beats per minute."
Not to alarm you, of course, since it seems to me her test would not have been
just borderline if she had a severe case.

amy

Dec 22, 2003, 5:37:11 AM12/22/03
I heard it increase upon auscultation with a standard steth. That's
why I wondered if it was normal.

Phil P

Dec 22, 2003, 7:39:13 AM12/22/03

> I heard it increase upon auscultation with a standard steth.

Sure you did..... Where're you from, Krypton? LOL!