Dog/Cat Food Recall on Almost ALL MAJOR BRANDS

Imacat

Mar 17, 2007, 7:34:15 PM3/17/07
Most pouch and cat food is made by Menu Foods in Canada. Apparently in their
never ending search to milk the last buck out of their product, they found a
"low bidder" supplier who sold them bad ingredients from December of 2006 up
to last Wednesday. They have a list of recalled cat products on
http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_cat.html
but it doesn't include IAMS and other premiunm brands which have also been
recalled. They have a corresponding list of dog products on
http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_dog.html

The symptoms are vomiting followed by painful death from kidney failure.
There is no treatment available once symproms are observed.

Their stock dropped 25% on Friday and is likely to plunge to near zero when
the lawsuits start. If you don't mind making money out of tragedies, shorting
this stock is a no brainer. The symbol is MEW.UN listed on the TSX. They have
removed the corporate bio's from their investor relations pages, never a good
sign.

Ukeluver

Mar 18, 2007, 9:52:39 AM3/18/07
On Mar 17, 7:34 pm, Imacat <nob...@mixmin.net> wrote:
> Most pouch and cat food is made by Menu Foods in Canada. Apparently in their
> never ending search to milk the last buck out of their product, they found a
> "low bidder" supplier who sold them bad ingredients from December of 2006 up
> to last Wednesday. They have a list of recalled cat products onhttp://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_cat.html

> but it doesn't include IAMS and other premiunm brands which have also been
> recalled. They have a corresponding list of dog products onhttp://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_dog.html

If you go to the menu brand website, there is a TON of brands listed.
When you click on iams, it leads you to the iams website, but nothing
there about a recall. I was curious if they actually knew if only a
FEW of the brands were affected and perhaps all that are listed? Then
I found this link from msnbc.com that mentions IAMS as an affected
brand:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17650075/

"Menu Foods, the Ontario-based company that produced the pet food,
said Saturday it was recalling dog food sold under 48 brands and cat
food sold under 40 brands including Iams, Nutro and Eukanuba. The food
was distributed throughout the United States, Canada and Mexico by
major retailers such as Wal-Mart, Kroger and Safeway."

I was concerned because one of my cats ALMOST DIED FROM KIDNEY FAILURE
back in Feb. And I have the $1100 charge on my credit card to prove
it. I feed my younger cats exclusively with Iams canned food. I was
so baffled when one of them got sick. But not the other one. But
both were vomiting a bit here and there. Since these are siamese who
are known to eat ANYTHING, and sometimes yack it back up (bits of
thread, plastic, etc. this behaviour is called pica and so far, out
of the 3 siamese I've had, all had demonstrated this behaviour to some
degree). But when one bounced back and the other was progressively
sicker and not behaving right, we know something was up.

The vet said it was a poisoning and my cat's BUN levels were so high
they had to redo the test to make sure there wasn't some sort of
glitch. We are lucky to have our kitty back with us, very lucky. We
couldn't figure out just what he got into. We didn't have any new
plants or any chemical spills anywhere. Now with this news, I wonder
if it could have been the food.

> The symptoms are vomiting followed by painful death from kidney failure.
> There is no treatment available once symproms are observed.

it depends on where you catch the process, the age and overall health
of the animal, I'd say. At least that was our experience. But his
kidneys were definately affected. He will need annual blood tests for
kidney function for the rest of his days.

> Their stock dropped 25% on Friday and is likely to plunge to near zero when
> the lawsuits start. If you don't mind making money out of tragedies, shorting
> this stock is a no brainer. The symbol is MEW.UN listed on the TSX. They have
> removed the corporate bio's from their investor relations pages, never a good
> sign.

I'd just like to be compensated for the vet bill, but unless there is
some sort of class action, I don't know how you would prove that it
was an Iams, or whatever, food. Wouldn't you need the empty can with
the offending substance and all that.

Unbelieveable. not only is our OWN food supply a crap shoot (spinach
and peanut butter recalls), the food we feed our PETS is as well!

easily_...@hotmail.com

Mar 18, 2007, 7:15:23 PM3/18/07
My cat is currently undergoing treatment for kidney failure as a
result of having consumed recalled food on Wednesday and Thursday of
this past week.

At this point, he and my other two cats, (who ate the recalled product
at the first feeding, but turned down the latter two- which he ate-
and do not appear to be unwell) are my main concern, and as long as
they come out of this OK, I'm not about to complain- but after reading
your post, I'm curious.

What <i>are</i> the odds that owners whose pets were affected by the
contaminated foods will receive any sort of reimbursement for
veterinary expenses associated with the tainted foods?

forwar...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2007, 6:24:30 PM3/19/07

Probably none, unless there's an attorney out there who loves cats.

Is anyone interested in a boycott?

forwar...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2007, 6:25:27 PM3/19/07
On Mar 18, 6:15 pm, easily_bemu...@hotmail.com wrote:

BTW, I'm really sorry about your cats and hope they make it through. I
am furious at all of this.

mlbriggs

Mar 19, 2007, 7:12:11 PM3/19/07

How do we know if they may have been deliberately sabotaged?

Divinorumus

Mar 22, 2007, 10:08:42 PM3/22/07
We need to take action and get to the bottom of this pet food recall,
and more specifically we need to get someone to confess to what has
happened here and what is still going on. We need to force someone to
answer this: Was that recalled pet food made from wheat gluten
imported through Manildra Mills from Australia, and did that wheat
gluten contain any amount of Fenitrothion and/or other pesticides, and
whether that same wheat gluten has gotten into our human food supply.
And you need to find out if the FDA allows Fenitrothion contaminated
wheat gluten from Australia into your foods, assuming that it is okay
so long as good business practices are followed and the poisonous
gluten is mixed with wheat to dilute it first before YOU eat it too. ?

Matthew

Mar 22, 2007, 10:22:03 PM3/22/07
Good luck with that. The only thing you can force is maybe a class action
lawsuit if the suppliers has companies here in the USA if not. Be a lot of
legal loop holes that could be jumped thru.

"Divinorumus" <divin...@evenmo.com> wrote in message