Help for very sick kitty

Lynn via CatKB.com

Jul 25, 2006, 12:20:59 PM7/25/06
I am at my wits end with my co-worker's neglect of her cat. For a month now
her cat has been very sick and she refuses to take him to the vet. I hardly
know this girl and I've never met her cat. She says that the cat has constant
diarrhea (pure liquid with blood and mucus), the cat is lethargic, meows a
lot, and has lost a lot of weight, and has squinty eyes. I have begged her to
take her cat to the vet, I have offered to pay the bills, I have even asked
her to give me the cat so I can care for him. As a last resort I called the
SPCA to report a neglected cat and they say they can't do anything. I am
desperately trying to think of something I can do to help this cat. I am not
a vet but I am trying to figure out what could be wrong with the cat so I can
offer some free advice since she is not willing to pay for medical help. She
says she tried a change in diet and I have asked if she has treated the cat
for worms, she said she didn't but she has looked for signs of worms and sees
none. This, in my opinion, does not rule that out. Could worms cause the
symptoms I mentioned above? I have some medication my cat was given for
colitis (metronidazole, an antibiotic) and I've considered giving her this to
try in case it is an inflamatory of infectious condition. I'm very reluctant
to give medication without a proper diagnosis but I wonder if it is better to
try it than do nothing?? Any advice anyone has to offer would be greatly
appreciated. I don't know this cat but I can't stand the thought of any cat
in trouble.

Katz

Jul 25, 2006, 1:30:53 PM7/25/06
Tell her that if she does not take her cat into the vet that it
constitutes ANIMAL ABUSE! She can go to jail for failing to provide
medical attention for her cat. Sounds like who ever you spoke with at
the SPCA doesn't know WTF they are talking about. If she continues to
neglect her cat, she clearly doesn't deserve the privilege of having a
pet. You can send her to this site to see what happens to animal
abusers.

http://www.pet-abuse.com/

Wendy

Jul 25, 2006, 2:11:52 PM7/25/06
If she doesn't get help for that cat soon she could lose him/her to
something that might have been treatable with a simple prescription. Could
be parasites, could be coccidia, could be just about anything at this point.
One thing is for sure, kitty needs to see a vet. Very unlikely this is going
to clear up by itself. The longer she waits the more that's going to be
wrong.

Matthew

Jul 25, 2006, 3:50:32 PM7/25/06
Call the local police and report animal abuse and make a deputy come out
they are required to no matter what the call is and force the deputy to
make a report they have to whether they want to or not

Susierenee

Jul 25, 2006, 4:11:52 PM7/25/06

Poor kitty. I hope that the input you've received here will help. I
would imagine that it would be difficult to force the issue legally
with someone you have to work with and be around -- but this cat needs
help, and I think that's more important.

I hope it's not too late for him to get help.

+Jeri

Rhonda

Jul 26, 2006, 12:54:03 AM7/26/06
What reason does she give you for not letting you take the cat to the
vet -- or the reason for not going if you offer to pay?

Rhonda