Kitten

Lady J USA

Dec 24, 2006, 7:19:23 PM12/24/06
I found a kitten at our doorstep this morning, it is the sweetest
little thing. I took it in, but I am consernced it may be sick. I gave
it a bath becuase of his smell, and I noticed he was covered in dried
feces. I am concered it may be infectious, I have the kitten isolated,
since I have 3 other cats. I belive he is 6 -8 weeks in age. I have
checked on him and it appears that it can't poop properly, the feces
gets stuck. I do not know what to do since it is christmas eve. I
guess I will just keep an eye on the little guy keep him isolated, and
try to get him to a vet in a few days.

addicted

Dec 24, 2006, 9:06:43 PM12/24/06

Lady J USA wrote:
> I found a kitten at our doorstep this morning

I bet kitten is very happy you opened the door

im sure once you start feeding him, yule figure out the feces problem

that's a fine idea to isolate him from the other cats... he's probably
got worms from his mother. but you can also do an OTC wormer.. works in
hours and boom!

is his belly bloated?

bookie

Dec 24, 2006, 9:35:46 PM12/24/06

make sure he has plenty of water to drink and is kept well hydrated
uhntil you get him to a vet

bluemaxx

Dec 24, 2006, 11:43:37 PM12/24/06
http://www.kittenrescue.org/handbook.htm - a little ways down is
"Stimulation and Litter Box Training". A very young kitten needs
stimulation in order to eliminate properly, as the mom cat usually licks the
kittens in the first 4 weeks. The link tells you how to do it. And the
whole page has good info.

addicted

Dec 24, 2006, 11:53:49 PM12/24/06

bookie wrote:

> make sure he has plenty of water to drink and is kept well hydrated
> uhntil you get him to a vet

we sure put alot of confidence in a vet
you know.. I could be vet, 60% of the time
after that.. sure.. i'd need a liscense, lol

but for the 60% I could make a mint

60% of what folk run to the vet for is dumb stuff
like.. a kitten not crapping right.

it's a stray.. no stray craps right because no stray eats right

poor bookie, so careful and troubled about something

cybercat

Dec 25, 2006, 12:38:28 AM12/25/06

"addicted" <bigba...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Will you cut it out. :

Don't discourage people from taking their cats to the vet.

Troll if you will, but first DO NO HARM.

addicted

Dec 25, 2006, 12:47:04 AM12/25/06

cybercat wrote:

> Don't discourage people from taking their cats to the vet.
>
> Troll if you will, but first DO NO HARM.

vets a neccessary evil

well.. if one is going to force their pet to live beyond it's natural
design then yes, to the vet it is.

if one needs some practical common sense then why should they pay a vet
for common sense? to feel good about their choices? of course I don't
know squat about pet innards etc.. and most people don't.. so I do
understand.
but the OP says.. the stray scragley kitten won't poopin right, I
figure a few good meals should clean the pipes out

there baby, I just saved us $50 bux :)

Lady J USA

Dec 25, 2006, 11:57:27 AM12/25/06

It appears that there is blood in the stool, and it poops all the time,
and eats contstaly so I have cut down on the amount of food, drinks
alot too, but I am not sure he is peeing. I am worried that he may have
to be put down. The smell is really bad.

addicted

Dec 25, 2006, 3:47:52 PM12/25/06

Lady J USA wrote:

> It appears that there is blood in the stool, and it poops all the time,
> and eats contstaly so I have cut down on the amount of food, drinks
> alot too, but I am not sure he is peeing. I am worried that he may have
> to be put down. The smell is really bad.

the smell is probably...

you sitting down?

pnumonia, I don't know what they call it for cats.. but fluid on the
lungs, infection in the lungs makes an animals breath very bad, if it's
infection, you can smell it.

blood in the stool...
well.. that could be from lack of water.. crap gets hard and tears the
intestinal lining

not peeing... that's not very good at all, but I wouldn't be too
alarmed yet
AND I would not cut back on the food!

Let him eat as much as he wants...

he may be combating worms, or his intestinal walls may not be absorbing
nutrients.
HOW CAN HE.. HE JUST CRAPS IT RIGHT OUT

so yeah, let him keep eating, with each "can" of food, he's only
getting better.

He may.. in his attempt to live... gotten into some rubbish and ate
some bone shards..
he's beat up so bad it's hard to tell what he's like

let him eat though

if he's drinking water.. he'll have to pee eventually.. if there is a
blockage... in the urinary tract.. I don't know this LJ, but Im sure
you would notice some swelling long about where the bladder is.. maybe
look on the web and see where his bladder is... and or if swelling
would actually show...

if he doesn't pee by dark.. and you are sure he is drinking water, you
should catheterize him.
it's simple, but procedure must be sterile. this will unblock him
temporarily, and / or assist him in draining his water.

you're gonna have to put him to sleep in order to do that...
you'll also need a kitten size catheter

let him eat though, you can't beat that

a healthy appetite is a very good sign

addicted

Dec 25, 2006, 3:56:03 PM12/25/06

Lady J USA wrote:
<...>

I wouldn't be too alarmed about blood in the stool

suppose his, "hard poop" tore his lining...

the open bleeding lining is still healing, even though his stool is
soft

let him eat and crap all he wants...

more drinks! lol

he probably needed an IV anyway... you know..
put to sleep catheterized, vitamanized, wormed, shot, and kissed

bookie

Dec 25, 2006, 4:03:32 PM12/25/06
the fact it has been a stray is a damn good reason to take it to a vet
straight away! it may not just be a case of feeding it better food, it
may have some sort of illness, parasites living in it's guts, or
similar which is causing it's elimination problems, partyicualrly if
the faeces are rather liquid and smelly and it has a bloated tummy
(sounds like parasites to me) and only a vet can make that proper
diagnosis and prescribe the correct medication to get rid of whatever
has infested this poor kitten.
it may be common sense to say 'it is worms' or something but you still
need to see a vet to get the correct drugs for it, certainly in this
country there are many drugs which only a vet is legally allowed to
prescribe and you cannot get them in a shop (for good reason).

and how is giving a small kitten medical help so it lives longer than a
few weeks "forcing their pet to live past it's natural design"? what
kind of a stupid aomment is that? if you are talking about natural
selection, survival of the fittest, natural wastage etc then you could
easily apply that to lots of human babies with terminal illnesses who
we spend so more money, time and energy trying to keep alive for a
short time but I am sure you would not question that

anyways, did anyone else get given loads of cat care books for
christmas, most of which they either already have or they have loads of
similar ones or the info in them is just outdated and probably useless?
have already instructed one person to take the books back to the shop
get the money back and send a cheque of the same amount to me made out
to Cats Protection, i figured that Cats need the 30 quid the books cost
much more than I need lots of books about cat care i have already read.
Nice thought from him and all but still.

i mean, what on earth do I need cat care books written by experts on
feline health and behaviour when i have this wonderful resource to tap
into ie rec.pets cats.health+behaviour, and of course the highly
knowledgeable barry to advise whenever i have any questions?

addicted

Dec 25, 2006, 4:09:26 PM12/25/06

bookie wrote:

> and how is giving a small kitten medical help so it lives longer than a
> few weeks "forcing their pet to live past it's natural design"?

why don't you try reading for once
stop taking me out of context

im going to give you a break this time
it's christmas

Merry Christmas

bookie

Dec 25, 2006, 4:18:05 PM12/25/06
it is christmas indeed, and that must be the reason there is shite all
on tv tonight and the pubs are shut :-(
well at least jessie is happy; she came with me to my aunts house for
christmas lunch and enjoyed every minute of exploring her house and
garden before having a plateful of turkey and a snooze in front of the
queens speech. I have a now got half a ton of cold turkey meat in the
fridge for jessie to eat later on, lucky girl.

addicted

Dec 25, 2006, 4:24:33 PM12/25/06

bookie wrote:

> it is christmas indeed, and that must be the reason there is shite all
> on tv tonight and the pubs are shut :-(
> well at least jessie is happy; she came with me to my aunts house for
> christmas lunch and enjoyed every minute of exploring her house and
> garden before having a plateful of turkey and a snooze in front of the
> queens speech. I have a now got half a ton of cold turkey meat in the
> fridge for jessie to eat later on, lucky girl.

turkey has something in it that's supposed to make you look younger and
live longer.

bookie

Dec 25, 2006, 4:38:40 PM12/25/06
that must be why, despite being about 16 years old, jessie is still as
spritely as a 5 year old (with no teeth of course) i often get her
cooked turkey meat slices and chicken slices from the shops as it must
get very boring eating tinned whiskas meat every day. i don't eat meat
so would not benefit from this turkey-based elixir of youth, but then I
have a porttrait of myself in my attic top do my ageing for me.
Nah, i don't care about needing to look younger, I am not really
bothered about that sort of stuff unlike the rest of the females on
this planet it seems. I got noone i want to impress or deceive into
thinking i am still in my early twenties (or whatever), quite happy
looking old. Anyway i have the other problem; i regularly get asked for
ID when i go to pubs and bars which used to be flattering, then was
amusing, now is just tedious, so i think turkey is the last thing i
need.

cybercat

Dec 25, 2006, 7:17:59 PM12/25/06

"addicted" <bigba...@gmail.com> wrote in message

It makes you sleep. Which, done deeply and often enough in conjunction
with an active lifestyle, a good diet, and a helluva lot of luck, makes you

Lesley

Dec 25, 2006, 9:10:27 PM12/25/06

Lady J USA wrote:
I belive he is 6 -8 weeks in age. I have
> checked on him and it appears that it can't poop properly, the feces
> gets stuck.

Something just occurred to me...You believe he's 6-8 weeks old? Are you
sure he's not younger?

Kittens before a certain age (Someone tell me how old) cannot peep and
poop normally, they need their butts etc wiped with cotton wool to tell
them when they can go (Normally their mum would lick them down there to
make them go think of that when a queen with a litter gets up from
tending to her kittens and licks you! Now there's a pro-neuteuring
argument I hadn't thought of! "So you think it's only natural for your
cat to have kittens- well it's also only natural for her to lick their
bum and then lick you") It could be without the stimulation he would
normally get from mum he isn't able to go until it all builds up...and
then has to go

Just an idea...other than that thank you for taking him in

Lesley
Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

bookie

Dec 25, 2006, 9:23:49 PM12/25/06

cybercat wrote:
> It makes you sleep. Which, done deeply and often enough in conjunction
> with an active lifestyle, a good diet, and a helluva lot of luck, makes you
> look younger and live longer.
I think genes have a fair bit to do with it