Taking In Our 6th Stray Cat

Arubalisa

Mar 15, 2006, 12:26:45 PM3/15/06
Yes, dh and I may need to have our heads examined. We really do not
have to have another cat. Especially having one boy who was dx 3 months
ago with renal failure :-( It pushed us over the top though on Monday
when "Whitey" was out in the rain and finally found some underbrush in
the back of our yard. Thoughts were the cat slept in a drainage pipe
adjacent to the woods at the back of our property, so needless to say,
in rain needs to go elsewhere.

Dragged out the Hav-a-hart late yesterday and dh was out of practice.
Set the trap, Whitey went in at the wet food AND tuna, turned around
and split. We couldn't leave the trap out over night because we would
have ended up with oppusum instead. Set out 2 traps this a.m. One where
we trapped it yesterday in our backyard (under the bird feeder of
course) and the other on our front porch where the food is placed every
morning.

When I awoke, Whitey was already in the trap. Usual amount of ugly
reaction on his part. Thankfully a very calm quiet ride to the vets.
Left him there with instructions for checking him out. Called me about
45 minutes later to say that he was a SHE, about 3 years old and very
sweet, but VERY scared AND declawed in the front (grrrrrrhhhh!). We've
been feeding this stray since the end of November, but had no ideas
about the claws. Also the cat is also spayed. The vet is wondering if
perhaps the cat was "dumped" because it had been spraying??? I am
praying that the cat was dumped because someone was just not interested
in keeping her any longer. We already have 1 cat with spraying problems
and is on Paxil for that :-(

Vet called again 2 1/2 hours later saying the leukemia and FIV were
negative. Besides vaccinations and de-worming, I asked them to "try" to
bath her to rid her of some of the Georgia clay, but that evidently did
not go over too well. Rather than sedate her just for the bath, we
figure we'll skip it. Put some Advantage on her and ready for pick up
in a couple of hours.

So...do you all think Whitey is an appropriate name for a female cat?
She has all white underneath and at the base of all 4 paws with tiger
stripes all over her top.

Is there a chance, (actually there has to be because I don't know what
to do if not), that ONE female can co-habitate with FIVE males, TWO of
whom are in a constant power struggle to be the leader?

When I bring Whitey home I will set her up in our smallest spare
bedroom. For some entertainment, she will have a beautiful window to
view her old stomping grounds bird feeder and all. Knowing that she is
scared, except for food and water what else can we do to comfort her
and not make the situation worse? No way will we even consider
introductions to the 5 gentlemen until she feels comfortable in her new
environment. That hurdle we can tackle when the time comes. Just need
some ideas on how to make her feel most comfortable, less frightened.
Any suggestions? Thanks all in advance
__
http://www.hoosierkitties.com Resource Links for You About Your Cat

CatNipped

Mar 15, 2006, 1:17:54 PM3/15/06
"Arubalisa" <arub...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Sounds to me like you've done everything you possibly can for "Whitey" (I'm
not fond of that name, but then I don't have to live with it - I would
suggest, if you're going with a descriptive name, Dazzle, Snowball, Snowy,
Blanca, etc.) . The only thing I would add to the room is maybe a cardboard
box to hide in.

Hugs,

CatNipped

mlbriggs

Mar 15, 2006, 1:29:08 PM3/15/06

Do you have a small radio that could play soft music? This might help and
perhaps a couple of boxes to nest in. MLB

Phil P.

Mar 15, 2006, 1:32:08 PM3/15/06

"Arubalisa" <arub...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Is there a chance, (actually there has to be because I don't know what

> to do if not), that ONE female can co-habitate with FIVE males, TWO of
> whom are in a constant power struggle to be the leader?

Absotively! One of my partners has 6 males and a female- they get along
fine. I have 5 females and one male- it took awhile, but they get alone
fine.

Here're a few tips on introducing cats:

http://maxshouse.com/introducing_cats.htm

Buddy

Mar 15, 2006, 1:45:47 PM3/15/06
What about naming her Sugar? I think she will get along fine with the
boys! The soft music idea is great! My kitties always relax to
classical music! Just doze right off! She will probably hide under
the bed. Some nice soft, gentle petting never hurt either!

Good luck!

glsu...@neptunelink.com

Mar 15, 2006, 3:42:13 PM3/15/06
On 15 Mar 2006 09:26:45 -0800, "Arubalisa" <arub...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Good for you for taking in this stray.

For awhile, we had *7* males and *1* female. Heh. Our female was not
that happy, but she basically made herself Princess and it her right
to hiss at the boys if she so chose. I'm sure "Whitey" will find some
place in the pecking order that will work. Best of luck to you!

Ginger-lyn

Home Pages:
http://www.moonsummer.com
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~summer/index.htm (genealogy)
Animals in Movies Website)

Gail

Mar 15, 2006, 3:57:25 PM3/15/06
Just wanted to say that you are terrific to take this girl in.
Gail

Rhonda

Mar 15, 2006, 5:19:52 PM3/15/06

Arubalisa wrote:

> Yes, dh and I may need to have our heads examined. We really do not
> have to have another cat.

Yep, I think you "have to have" another cat!

> So...do you all think Whitey is an appropriate name for a female cat?

I think Whitey is okay, but I read it as "Whitney." I kinda liked
Whitney. You get to pick whatever name you want, she's your new baby!

> Is there a chance, (actually there has to be because I don't know what
> to do if not), that ONE female can co-habitate with FIVE males, TWO of
> whom are in a constant power struggle to be the leader?

The most issues we've had were between two boys. I don't think the sex
matters all that much, I think she'll be fine.

That's great of you to help that poor cat. She probably wouldn't have
lasted too long out there, being declawed.

Rhonda

dnr

Mar 15, 2006, 5:49:02 PM3/15/06

Name her anything you feel like. Blessings on you all for having
mercy and caring for those in need.
I have one suggestion: either keep this window you mention closed
entirely or open just a tiny bit for air circulation if needed. I still feel
bad about this: back in early 80's, I had a feral male cat in my apt.
and the room he was in shortly after we got him had a tiny window
about 6 feet off the floor (a bedroom). Some time while I was
watching a noisy football game in l.r. nearby, he actually jumped
up and broke through the screen, escaping through the bars on
outside of window......never to be seen again. Since then, I have
never left windows entirely open anywhere in home unless I
am in the room. When I leave room, window gets closed except
for opening much smaller than a cat head (few inches). Talk
about guilt.

Phil P.

Mar 15, 2006, 6:06:21 PM3/15/06

"Buddy" <arms...@aol.com> wrote in message

> What about naming her Sugar?

Sugar is a great name for a white female:

http://maxshouse.com/Ours/sugar-5-12-05-4.jpg

I think she will get along fine with the
> boys!

I think you're right. I don't think sex makes much of difference when all
the cats are neutered. When there's no sexual competition or competition
for food, they seem to develop their own little community. I think the cat
hierarchy is more like a wheel- rather than like a ladder as with dogs.
There's really no alpha cat- they just seem to time share the hub at the
center of the wheel. lol

The soft music idea is great! My kitties always relax to
> classical music! Just doze right off!

My cats are partial to Beliotz - "Requiem" in particular, probably because
the soft kettle drums sounds like cats purring.

She will probably hide under
> the bed. Some nice soft, gentle petting never hurt either!

..or treats-- a lot of treats.

Phil

points a troll @linethetrollsup.com Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL )

Mar 15, 2006, 6:09:11 PM3/15/06

"Phil P." <ph...@maxshouse.com> wrote in message

> "Buddy" <arms...@aol.com> wrote in message
>
>> What about naming her Sugar?
>
> Sugar is a great name for a white female:
>

> http://maxshouse.com/Ours/sugar-5-12-05-4.jpg

She is beautiful Phil she has a look at royalty

rose ricciuto

Mar 15, 2006, 8:12:26 PM3/15/06
We have 6 stray/feral cats and only 1 is a female. When we got 5 & 6 at
the same time she went ballistic and started spraying but after
isolating her in one room for awhile and visiting several hours a day,
she rejoined the family and is getting along well with the kittens. We
have 1 male who bullies everybody but the kittens have brought him down
several pegs and protect the female from him but drawing his attention.
Personally I think several females would have a harder time integrating
than a single female with several males. Best of luck!!!

Cheryl Sellner

Mar 15, 2006, 9:33:35 PM3/15/06
On Wed 15 Mar 2006 05:49:02p, dnr wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
(news:ebidnXRv9ctbBIXZ...@comcast.com):

> I still feel
> bad about this: back in early 80's, I had a feral male cat in my
> apt. and the room he was in shortly after we got him had a tiny
> window about 6 feet off the floor (a bedroom). Some time while I
> was watching a noisy football game in l.r. nearby, he actually
> jumped up and broke through the screen, escaping through the
> bars on outside of window......never to be seen again. Since
> then, I have never left windows entirely open anywhere in home
> unless I am in the room. When I leave room, window gets closed
> except for opening much smaller than a cat head (few inches).
> Talk about guilt.

Aww, don't feel guilty. It was not expected, and certainly not
intentional. But I understand. I've had screens pop out, and now
my windows aren't opened at all except for when a guard that I
found that fits in the window is in. And, like you, only if I'm in
the room. I had the reverse, weird thing happen when I first
bought my house. My bedroom window (1 level up from ground level)
was open and sometime during the middle of the night I was woken up
by the sound of shreaking cats. A stray or a neighbors cat was
hanging on the screen, and it had half pulled out, and my cats had
apparently run from the room. I even got scratched trying to pull
the screen back in! For a while I didn't know if one of my two
cats had fallen out, and searched the house until both were found.
Since then, the bedroom windows are never opened.

--
Cheryl

Cheryl Sellner

Mar 15, 2006, 9:35:43 PM3/15/06
On Wed 15 Mar 2006 12:26:45p, Arubalisa wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
(news:1142443605....@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com):

<snip>

> When I bring Whitey home I will set her up in our smallest spare
> bedroom. For some entertainment, she will have a beautiful
> window to view her old stomping grounds bird feeder and all.
> Knowing that she is scared, except for food and water what else
> can we do to comfort her and not make the situation worse? No
> way will we even consider introductions to the 5 gentlemen until
> she feels comfortable in her new environment. That hurdle we can
> tackle when the time comes. Just need some ideas on how to make
> her feel most comfortable, less frightened. Any suggestions?
> Thanks all in advance

Bless you for taking her in because she surely needs you. Best
wishes, and your approach sounds great. You have lots of good advice
here.

--
Cheryl

Phil P.

Mar 15, 2006, 9:37:21 PM3/15/06

"Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL )" <10 points a troll
@linethetrollsup.com> wrote in message

> "Phil P." <ph...@maxshouse.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Buddy" <arms...@aol.com> wrote in message
> >
> >> What about naming her Sugar?
> >
> > Sugar is a great name for a white female:
> >

> > http://maxshouse.com/Ours/sugar-5-12-05-4.jpg
> >

> She is beautiful Phil she has a look at royalty

She is a knock out, isn't she? She does think she's royalty- a Princess. I
happened to think she's right!

Can you believe she was dumped at a shelter and returned twice- a declawed
biter. Took some time but now she's a sweetheart.

points a troll @linethetrollsup.com Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL )

Mar 15, 2006, 9:41:28 PM3/15/06

"Phil P." <ph...@maxshouse.com> wrote in message
I am glad she found someone who cared. You can tell from the picture you
love her dearly

Arubalisa

Mar 16, 2006, 11:13:43 AM3/16/06
DNR, please don't feel bad. Thanks for the suggestion.

Unfortunately due to my horrible allergies, we rarely open our windows.
Living here in Georgia, mid-March and we already had our air
conditioning on last week :-( Every once in awhile on a beautiful day
some open windows are a really great treat for the kitties. My dh
taught me to always check the screen first thing after opening a window
and we are for the most part in the same room.

Thankfully after just having been retested, I am NOT allergic to cats
:-)

Arubalisa

Mar 16, 2006, 11:37:07 AM3/16/06
Here we are day two with our new addition :-)

First thing dd did was change Whitey to Snowy. Thank you for all the
suggestions. I liked Blanca, but with RockY, MickeY, BlacIE, TiggY, dh
and I agreed to keep harmony in the family's names :-)

The room I have Snowy set up in has a trundle bed. To give Snowy a
place to "hide out" when I brought her home from the vet, I just took
her carrier and all and placed her in a corner of the room. The bed is
on one side of her and the wall is on the other. Just steps out of the
carrier are her food (the same dry food she was eating outdoors), water
bowl and then her litterbox. She used the litterbox twice during the
night, but did not touch her food :-(

This a.m. I put down some wet food, right outside the door of the
carrier. Went back 20 minutes later and it had not been touched.
Returned a little over an hour later and she had finally begun pecking
at it, so at least that was a relief.

Snowy is very very scared. I can go into the room and sweet talk her
into allowing me to get within a foot of her crate, although this a.m.
when I went in, my initial greeting were a growl and a hiss. Dh steps
in the room and Snowy growls big time at him. It is hurting his
feelings, but I keep telling him that she saw him setting the trap so
she is entitled.

Understandably she is also very, very tired. She looks at me through
half open eyes and then finally gives in, closes her eyes and lays down
her head. Definitely not the always alert kitty we saw roaming around
outside. I at least take comfort in the fact that after the growl and
or hiss, she is comfortable enough to close her eyes to sleep.

As a funny aside, when the boys used to see her outside, they would get
a little annoyed as I am sure most cats do. Mickey though knew where
her food bowl was on our front porch. From the windows in the front of
the house, when Snowy was around, Mickey would run back and forth
between all of the windows trying to get a good look at her. Boy was
hee was very interested in her! Last night poor Mickey kept peering out
the window looking for her in vain. He is the only cat who so far has
figured out that there is another cat in the house, he just does not
know who it is :-)

Arubalisa

Mar 16, 2006, 11:41:08 AM3/16/06
One word...WOW! What a gorgeous kitty!

CatNipped

Mar 16, 2006, 11:47:04 AM3/16/06

"Phil P." <ph...@maxshouse.com> wrote in message

> "Buddy" <arms...@aol.com> wrote in message
>
>> What about naming her Sugar?
>
> Sugar is a great name for a white female:
>

> http://maxshouse.com/Ours/sugar-5-12-05-4.jpg

Except for the blue eyes, she looks just like my Demi.

http://www.possibleplaces.com/CatNipped/Demi5/PrettyDemi.jpg

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Buddy

Mar 16, 2006, 4:56:53 PM3/16/06
Phil

She is beautiful! How old is she?

> What about naming her Sugar?

Sugar is a great name for a white female:

http://maxshouse.com/Ours/sugar-5-12-05-4.jpg

Phil P.

Mar 17, 2006, 11:04:54 AM3/17/06

> One word...WOW! What a gorgeous kitty!

Thanks- She knows it, too! lol. http://maxshouse.com/Ours/Suggie-Oggie.jpg

Phil P.

Mar 17, 2006, 12:00:56 PM3/17/06

"CatNipped" <lcr...@houston.rr.com> wrote in message

> "Phil P." <ph...@maxshouse.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Buddy" <arms...@aol.com> wrote in message
> >
> >> What about naming her Sugar?
> >
> > Sugar is a great name for a white female:
> >

> > http://maxshouse.com/Ours/sugar-5-12-05-4.jpg
>
> Except for the blue eyes, she looks just like my Demi.
>
> http://www.possibleplaces.com/CatNipped/Demi5/PrettyDemi.jpg

Demi's eyes look bluer than Sugar's:

http://maxshouse.com/Ours/Suggie-Oggie.jpg

Phil P.

Mar 17, 2006, 12:01:40 PM3/17/06

> Phil
>
> She is beautiful! How old is she?

Eight years old- but she still acts like a kitten.

I'm convinced her behavioral problems were caused by her previous owners
because since she's been with me she's been a real sweetheart.

> http://maxshouse.com/Ours/sugar-5-12-05-4.jpg

CatNipped

Mar 17, 2006, 12:08:37 PM3/17/06
"Phil P." <ph...@maxshouse.com> wrote in message

That's just a weird quirk of the camera flash - her eyes are really
yellow-gold:

http://www.possibleplaces.com/CatNipped/Demi13/tnDCP_2060.jpg

Helen Miles

Mar 17, 2006, 7:07:07 PM3/17/06
"Phil P." <ph...@maxshouse.com> wrote in message

I think the cat
> hierarchy is more like a wheel- rather than like a ladder as with dogs.
> There's really no alpha cat- they just seem to time share the hub at the

> center of the wheel. lol///

I definitely have an alpha cat in this house - he rules it with an iron
paw and he dishes out discipline as he sees fit. Of course... it has no
effect on the girls, who are like "WHAT-EVer!" when he tries to tell
them he's boss! ;o)

Interestingly enough, I do have a hierarchy within the house, and I love
watching my kitten interact with the older cats. She knows exactly how
far she can go with each of them, and what each one will tolerate before
she gets walloped by an annoyed paw.

Helen M

Phil P.

Mar 18, 2006, 12:14:37 AM3/18/06

"Helen Miles" <helen...@virgin.net> wrote in message

Hiya Helen,

I love to watch how differently the cats in the shelter formed their little
community from my feral colonies. I can't really say there're any true
alpha cats. They just seem to time share the center seat. lol

Still working with FS Grampia?

Phil

Message has been deleted

Cheryl Sellner

Mar 18, 2006, 12:48:36 AM3/18/06
On Sat 18 Mar 2006 12:28:59a, Miami Jones wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav (news:1142659739.294222.142680
@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com):

>> Still working with FS Grampia?
>

> like you give a rip!

Read up. The cats Helen works with are rare. Of course Phil cares.
http://www.bigcats.org/swc/

--
Cheryl

Helen Miles

Mar 18, 2006, 8:49:13 AM3/18/06

> Hiya Helen,
>
> I love to watch how differently the cats in the shelter formed their little
> community from my feral colonies. I can't really say there're any true
> alpha cats. They just seem to time share the center seat. lol
>
> Still working with FS Grampia?

I'm not working with F.S.Grampia in the field at the moment - I'm in the
process of starting a new project. We're looking into something to do
with skull morphometrics next year. I'm currently on feral trapping mode
as spring is on its way!

The one thing I find fascinating about my house crew, is the fact they
all have their defined "spots" and time share a favourite bed or
favoured spot. For example, in the morning Pandora is in her spotted bed
on the sofa in the morning sun. In the afternoon, Robbie has the bed and
the afternoon sun. Cleo has her bed under my bed in the bedroom, and no
other cat shares it. Tiger has his bed on the bookshelf and no one is
allowed to use it, but the bed next to it is used by everyone else at
different times - kind of like a comunal bed. And each cat is fed in a
different spot in the kitchen, and if I try to swap them around and feed
them at soemone elses spot, they leave that dish and wait in their
special place.

There are definite dynamics within the household.

Helen Miles

Mar 18, 2006, 8:51:56 AM3/18/06
"Phil P." <ph...@maxshouse.com> wrote in message

> "Buddy" <arms...@aol.com> wrote in message
>
> > What about naming her Sugar?
>
> Sugar is a great name for a white female:
>

> http://maxshouse.com/Ours/sugar-5-12-05-4.jpg///

Wasn't Sugar your lass with the pee-ing problem because some a$$hole
declawed her and then threw her away when she developed "inappropriate
behaviour"?

She's gorgeous!

Phil P.

Mar 18, 2006, 2:21:04 PM3/18/06

> "Phil P." <ph...@maxshouse.com> wrote in message
>
> > Hiya Helen,
> >
> > I love to watch how differently the cats in the shelter formed their
little
> > community from my feral colonies. I can't really say there're any true
> > alpha cats. They just seem to time share the center seat. lol
> >
> > Still working with FS Grampia?
>
> I'm not working with F.S.Grampia in the field at the moment - I'm in the
> process of starting a new project. We're looking into something to do
> with skull morphometrics next year.

The African Wildcat seems to be facing the same threat of extinction through
hybridization as the Scottish Wildcat. Its very sad. What hurts
the most is that I just don't see how it can be prevented other than by the
impossibility of neutering every domestic and feral cat on the continent or
fencing in a huge sanctuary.

I'm currently on feral trapping mode
> as spring is on its way!

Its getting harder and harder for me to release the cats after neutering. I
try to convince myself that they're happier in their colony.

I haven't recovered from last kitten season. Last year's kits are now a
year old and even harder to home. And now another kitten season is right
around the corner.

> The one thing I find fascinating about my house crew, is the fact they
> all have their defined "spots" and time share a favourite bed or
> favoured spot. For example, in the morning Pandora is in her spotted bed
> on the sofa in the morning sun. In the afternoon, Robbie has the bed and
> the afternoon sun. Cleo has her bed under my bed in the bedroom, and no
> other cat shares it. Tiger has his bed on the bookshelf and no one is
> allowed to use it, but the bed next to it is used by everyone else at
> different times - kind of like a comunal bed. And each cat is fed in a
> different spot in the kitchen, and if I try to swap them around and feed
> them at soemone elses spot, they leave that dish and wait in their
> special place.
>
> There are definite dynamics within the household.
>
> Helen M

I bought one of those pyramid beds- Three of my ladies started using it so I
bought another one and then another so each cat would have her own. But
Jadeomine and Chatter didn't want their own bed. Noooooo, they want
whichever bed Titi is sleeping in. lol

Phil

Phil P.

Mar 18, 2006, 3:07:24 PM3/18/06

> "Phil P." <ph...@maxshouse.com> wrote in message
>

> > "Buddy" <arms...@aol.com> wrote in message
> >
> > > What about naming her Sugar?
> >
> > Sugar is a great name for a white female:
> >

> > http://maxshouse.com/Ours/sugar-5-12-05-4.jpg///
>
> Wasn't Sugar your lass with the pee-ing problem because some a$$hole
> declawed her and then threw her away when she developed "inappropriate
> behaviour"?
>
> She's gorgeous!

...and a sweetheart, too.

She was returned to another shelter twice. She had all sorts of problems
when I adopted her- she was clearly abused. The only reason the other
shelter didn't kill her after the second return was because she's beautiful.
The personality that has emerged in the last few years is even more
beautiful than her looks.

I don't believe there is such a thing as a naturally 'bad' or evil cat- just
bad or evil owners.

Phil

Arubalisa

Mar 19, 2006, 11:56:22 AM3/19/06
Well, I wish I could say things are going well. Dh is at the Urgent
Care Center right now having his bitten hand looked at. Beginning
Friday night, the cat began allowing him to get near him, actually
coming out of her carrier, rubbing up against him, purring and allowing
him to pet her.

Yesterday things were going along the same. He goes in and checks on
her every hour or so. He sits on the floor and waits for her to
approach him. She began rubbing up against him and purring, make a
fuss, allowing him to scratch under her chin ... all the same stuff as
the night previous. Then CHOMP!

We washed the hand well, put anti-bacterial ointment and hoped for the
best. When he awoke this a.m. his finger is all swollen and red
extending up into his hand...

I went into the room late afternoon oh say an hour or two after this
happened and sat on the floor and read a book for 25 minutes. She
totally ignored me. Trying the same this a.m. and I received the same
reaction...no reaction...

Buddy

Mar 19, 2006, 5:04:23 PM3/19/06
Gosh, maybe she was trying to see what kind of reaction your husband
would have? Strange. I hope he is ok, please let us know.

Maybe she just needs more space right now. This has to be very
traumatic for her.

Arubalisa

Mar 20, 2006, 12:09:22 AM3/20/06
Thanks Buddy for your concern. Dh was glad he went to see a Dr. The
swelling just kept getting worse this a.m. and he developed a fever.
Dr. prescribed 10 days antibiotic and of course gave dh a tetanus shot.

Snowy on the other hand is very lovey dovey! Like night and day...When
we enter her room she is now talking to us and greets us by coming
directly up to us, rubbing up against us, holding her neck up for
scratching, she is even rolling over for her belly to be rubbed!!! I
would never have believed all this without seeing it with my own
eyes...we'll have to begin thinking about how to expand her territory
while limiting the exposure to the 5 boys. When we move on to that,
life is going to be REAL interesting.

I hope to post some pics of her tomorrow. She is a real beauty with
some extremely interesting patterns of stripes and spots!

Buddy

Mar 20, 2006, 6:07:53 AM3/20/06
So good to hear that she is acting more "normal"! What a releif for
you! My advice would be to not move too fast - enjoy this stage for a
while! Cats don't like change. Give her some time the way things are
now. She is probably sorry about biting Dh and trying to tell you
that. Trust is everything at this point.

Looking forward to pictures!

Arubalisa

Mar 22, 2006, 10:18:27 PM3/22/06
Well finally have a couple of pictures of Snowy
http://www.hoosierkitties.com/boys/snowy.htm

She is doing well, spending most of her day sleeping on top of the bed,
but of course underneath the covers! Last night she did a short
exploration of our second floor and made her way back to "her room".

Two nights ago after we said good night to her and went to bed she
began meowing. I ended up sleeping in her room and she was fine the
rest of the night. She slept at the foot of the bed, waking me up twice
for some lovin's :-)

>From here on in, my daughter happily volunteered to sleep with Snowy.

Dh and I were hanging out with Snowy tonight when one of our boys,
Blackie snuck in the room. He is pretty easy going and gets along with
everyone except our special needs cat.

We were pleasantly surprised to see that Snowy was not too phased by
him. Blackie approached slowly to get a sniff and Snowy only replied
with a little hissing. Thanksfully NO raised paws! Blackie was a
prefect gentleman, but if Snowy had raised a paw, Blackie would have
struck back.

This weekend we'll gather the 5 boys upstairs in two of the bedrooms to
get some more exploration time in for her. Especially downstairs (only
bedrooms upstairs where Snowy is now) where we spend most of our waking
hours.

Just our luck, tonight, a brand new stray who I have never seen before,
showed up meowing at our backdoor. One of the opussums scared it off
before I could think about what to do...I swear we either have "sucker"
written on our foreheads or they are out there taking numbers :-)

Dh says no more cats. He said no after number 3, he said no after
number 4, he said no after number 5...now we have number 6 and he has
said no more cats...we shall see...

Gail

Mar 22, 2006, 10:39:35 PM3/22/06
Thank you for the update!! I am so happy she is doing well.
Gail

"Arubalisa" <arub...@gmail.com> wrote in message

cybercat

Mar 22, 2006, 10:55:54 PM3/22/06

"Arubalisa" <arub...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Well finally have a couple of pictures of Snowy
> http://www.hoosierkitties.com/boys/snowy.htm

She is just lovely. And the way she is looking at you! She seems to really
appreciate being taken in.

Rhonda

Mar 23, 2006, 3:16:19 AM3/23/06
Arubalisa wrote:

> Two nights ago after we said good night to her and went to bed she
> began meowing. I ended up sleeping in her room and she was fine the
> rest of the night. She slept at the foot of the bed, waking me up twice
> for some lovin's :-)

That is just too sweet!

> This weekend we'll gather the 5 boys upstairs in two of the bedrooms to
> get some more exploration time in for her. Especially downstairs (only
> bedrooms upstairs where Snowy is now) where we spend most of our waking
> hours.

With our last arrival, we kept him in a separated area for a couple of
weeks, then started bringing the other cats in one at a time. It was
interesting to watch his reaction to each one and theirs to him. Our
oldest, friendliest cat walked over and licked him on the head on the
first meeting. Now Abernathy always presents his head to him like "okay,
you're supposed to lick me now" and usually he does. There were still
some squabbles when he finally came out of the room, but nothing
terrible. I think it helped that he knew who they were and vice versa.

Good luck with your new guy.

Rhonda

Lesley

Mar 23, 2006, 9:01:34 AM3/23/06

> Just our luck, tonight, a brand new stray who I have never seen before,
> showed up meowing at our backdoor.

The neighbourhood cats obviously told them which door to meow at!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs