OT:- mid-life crisis

Helen C Simmons

Feb 9, 2005, 4:44:42 PM2/9/05
Well, my mid-life crisis is well and truly upon me ;-)

Nathan is taking me to a Green Day gig - just ordered the tickets :-D

Cheers, helen (call me headbanger) s

Margaret Fine

Feb 9, 2005, 5:10:31 PM2/9/05

I'm 41 and I like Green Day. Does that mean I am having a forever mid
life crisis? :-) When do I get my sports car??? :-) We also went to
see Meatllica a few months ago. Now that is what I call Headbanging! :-)

--
Margaret Fine
mef...@mindspring.com

Margaret Fine

Feb 9, 2005, 5:13:11 PM2/9/05
Margaret Fine wrote:

Before the spelling police come out, I mean Metallica. I also forgot to
say HAVE A GOOD TIME (had to yell because you will be having trouble
hearing afterward...) :-)

--
Margaret Fine
mef...@mindspring.com

Helen C Simmons

Feb 9, 2005, 5:31:36 PM2/9/05

"Margaret Fine" <mef...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> Before the spelling police come out, I mean Metallica. I also forgot to
> say HAVE A GOOD TIME (had to yell because you will be having trouble
> hearing afterward...) :-)
>
> --
> Margaret Fine
> mef...@mindspring.com

Pardon??? Pardon???
I'm really looking forward to it. One of the support acts is Jimmy Eat World
and I like their stuff too. Funnily enough, when I was Nathan's age I didn't
like rock apart from the odd Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin track. I definitely
was not a rocker. Guess I'm just a kid at heart even though the body err...
isn't ;-) What I'm really rather touched by is that Nathan *wants* to go to
the gig with me - he didn't say he wanted to go with his mates - he said he
wants to go with me. I'm making the most of it - such days will surely not
last much longer.

Cheers, helen s

Margaret Fine

Feb 9, 2005, 6:03:45 PM2/9/05
Helen C Simmons wrote:

The world needs more Nathans. You've got a very sweet kid there. You
must be one heck of a parent. Give him a hug from me and give yourself
a gigantic pat on the back. You did good!!!

--
Margaret Fine
mef...@mindspring.com

Victor Martinez

Feb 9, 2005, 6:05:25 PM2/9/05
Helen C Simmons wrote:
> Nathan is taking me to a Green Day gig - just ordered the tickets :-D

Green Day rocks! Your son has good musical taste. :)

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam here: u...@ftc.gov

Karen Chuplis

Feb 9, 2005, 6:33:43 PM2/9/05
in article 420a...@news.greennet.net, Helen C Simmons at
waf...@v21net.co.uk wrote on 2/9/05 4:31 PM:

But the most impressive and happy thing is ..... YOUR KID WANTS YOU TO GO
WITH!!!! :)

kilikini

Feb 10, 2005, 3:02:04 AM2/10/05

Ah, Green Day, Metallica - FINE bands! My hubby is 38 and I'll be 37 next
month; we love those bands.

kili

Helen C Simmons

Feb 10, 2005, 2:23:43 AM2/10/05

> The world needs more Nathans. You've got a very sweet kid there. You
> must be one heck of a parent. Give him a hug from me and give yourself a
> gigantic pat on the back. You did good!!!
>
> --
> Margaret Fine
> mef...@mindspring.com

He's not bad ;-) But I'm not completely objective about it - I have a
certain amount of bias :-) I'm lucky he's not into drugs, etc., etc.. -
hopefully because we've been quite open about that sort of stuff and he is
told he is loved and he's respected. I'm *so* glad we have a good
relationship as I didn't have this with my mum. For parenting - I'm
average - just made sure he knows he is loved, has *worth* as a human being
and tried to teach him to respect himself and others. Hopefully it's paid
off - only time will tell. :-)

Cheers, helen s

Helen C Simmons

Feb 10, 2005, 2:24:38 AM2/10/05

"Victor Martinez" <m...@nospam.com> wrote in message

> Helen C Simmons wrote:
>> Nathan is taking me to a Green Day gig - just ordered the tickets :-D
>
> Green Day rocks! Your son has good musical taste. :)

He does, but then so do I, I bought my own Green Day CD the other day - got
"Warning" most excellent album.

Cheers, helen s

Helen C Simmons

Feb 10, 2005, 2:25:32 AM2/10/05

"Karen Chuplis" <kchu...@alltel.net> wrote in message

> But the most impressive and happy thing is ..... YOUR KID WANTS YOU TO GO
> WITH!!!! :)

I know - that really, really gets to me - I'm deeply touched by it.

Cheers, helen s

Helen C Simmons

Feb 10, 2005, 3:37:57 AM2/10/05

"kilikini" <kili...@NOSPAMtampabay.rr.com> wrote in message

> Ah, Green Day, Metallica - FINE bands! My hubby is 38 and I'll be 37 next
> month; we love those bands.
>
> kili

mere children, the pair of you ;-)

Cheers, helen s

kilikini

Feb 10, 2005, 5:55:54 AM2/10/05

LOL!

kili

Jeanette

Feb 10, 2005, 8:51:37 AM2/10/05

Helen C Simmons <waf...@v21net.co.uk> wrote in message

> Well, my mid-life crisis is well and truly upon me ;-)
>
> Nathan is taking me to a Green Day gig - just ordered the tickets :-D
>
> Cheers, helen (call me headbanger) s

Have a brilliant time Helen. Make sure you get to the front and mosh!

Jeanette (off to four Manic Street Preachers gigs in April)

Victor Martinez

Feb 10, 2005, 9:11:13 AM2/10/05
Helen C Simmons wrote:
> He does, but then so do I, I bought my own Green Day CD the other day - got
> "Warning" most excellent album.

It is good, indeed. However "American Idiot" is a most extraordinary
album. Worthy of the Best Album of the Year Grammy Award.

Ginger-lyn Summer

Feb 10, 2005, 1:52:39 PM2/10/05

lol! Rock and roll!!!!!

Ginger-lyn
who is 49 and indeed owns a Green Day CD

Cathi

Feb 10, 2005, 3:27:45 PM2/10/05
In message <420a...@news.greennet.net>, Helen C Simmons
<waf...@v21net.co.uk> writes

>Well, my mid-life crisis is well and truly upon me ;-)
>
>Nathan is taking me to a Green Day gig - just ordered the tickets :-D
>
>Cheers, helen (call me headbanger) s

I am *determined* to have my mid-life crisis this year. I shall be
forty in the summer, and feel I deserve one. Any suggestions as to what
I can do?

And there's nowt wrong in going to a good concert. I already have my
ticket for the Isle of Wight festival. We went last year, and had a fab
time. Just for the record, the "pensioners" on the bill blew the rest of
the acts away, including David Bowie ..... step forward. Messrs
Townshend and Daltrey!
--
Cathi

Karen

Feb 10, 2005, 4:04:09 PM2/10/05
Hmmm. I'm thinking you should BUY something.... I don't know what, but it
seems to be a good way to explain outrageous purchases. I'm forty-one and
don't think I've felt the need yet. I have a hard time "feeling" middle
aged. However, let's try to think of something really big. (even if you
can't really afford it).

I think if I could buy something and explain it away by "mid life crisis" it
would be......a race horse.

What about all of you?

"Cathi" <Ca...@nospamplease.seasalter0.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

Helen C Simmons

Feb 10, 2005, 3:56:25 PM2/10/05

"Cathi" <Ca...@nospamplease.seasalter0.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> I am *determined* to have my mid-life crisis this year. I shall be forty
> in the summer, and feel I deserve one. Any suggestions as to what I can
> do?
>
> And there's nowt wrong in going to a good concert. I already have my
> ticket for the Isle of Wight festival. We went last year, and had a fab
> time. Just for the record, the "pensioners" on the bill blew the rest of
> the acts away, including David Bowie ..... step forward. Messrs Townshend
> and Daltrey!
> --
> Cathi

Well, you could come to a Green Day gig

or

Go bungee jumping, hang-gliding in the nude... get yourself a toyboy...

Cheers, helen s ;-)

Helen C Simmons

Feb 10, 2005, 3:54:45 PM2/10/05

"Jeanette" <ver...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Have a brilliant time Helen. Make sure you get to the front and mosh!
>
> Jeanette (off to four Manic Street Preachers gigs in April)

I shall attempt to mosh ;-)

The gig is an added incentive to my diet. I *cannot* be taken to a rock gig
by my teenage son and resemble a slug. In the last 8 weeks I've lost
36.5lbs. I've still a long way to go, but I will *not* embarrass my teenage
son by looking a total slug on the day!

Cheers, helen s

Helen C Simmons

Feb 10, 2005, 3:55:20 PM2/10/05

"Ginger-lyn Summer" <glsu...@neptunelink.com> wrote in message

> lol! Rock and roll!!!!!
>
> Ginger-lyn
> who is 49 and indeed owns a Green Day CD

Excellent :-)

Cheers, helen s

CatNipped

Feb 10, 2005, 4:33:57 PM2/10/05
"Helen C Simmons" <waf...@v21net.co.uk> wrote in message

YAY! Good for you. What type of diet are you on - it sounds very
successful!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Monique Y. Mudama

Feb 10, 2005, 4:33:46 PM2/10/05
On 2005-02-09, Helen C Simmons penned:

> Well, my mid-life crisis is well and truly upon me ;-)
>
> Nathan is taking me to a Green Day gig - just ordered the tickets :-D
>
> Cheers, helen (call me headbanger) s

My boss went to a three-band concert including Helmet this week.

I didn't even know Helmet was still around.

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Helen C Simmons

Feb 10, 2005, 4:33:04 PM2/10/05

"Karen" <kchu...@nospamalltel.net> wrote in message

> Hmmm. I'm thinking you should BUY something.... I don't know what, but it
> seems to be a good way to explain outrageous purchases. I'm forty-one and
> don't think I've felt the need yet. I have a hard time "feeling" middle
> aged. However, let's try to think of something really big. (even if you
> can't really afford it).
>
> I think if I could buy something and explain it away by "mid life crisis"
> it
> would be......a race horse.
>
> What about all of you?

If it was me, it would be one of these...

http://www.cervelo.com/bikes/2005/P3-Carbon.html

with one of these to go with it.

http://www.cervelo.com/bikes/2005/R25-Team.html

I'd have to beat off Nathan and Vernon who would be wanting to "borrow" them
all the time ;-)

I may have to have one of these to go with the bikes, purely for aesthetics,
of course...

http://www.capture-the-peloton.com/Races/Lux04/10Basso.jpg

Cheers, helen s

Monique Y. Mudama

Feb 10, 2005, 4:39:00 PM2/10/05
On 2005-02-10, Helen C Simmons penned:

> I shall attempt to mosh ;-)
>
> The gig is an added incentive to my diet. I *cannot* be taken to a rock gig
> by my teenage son and resemble a slug. In the last 8 weeks I've lost
> 36.5lbs. I've still a long way to go, but I will *not* embarrass my teenage
> son by looking a total slug on the day!

Er, please do be careful. that's more than 4lb/wk, which is faster than
typically recommended.

As for moshing, I'm only 27 but I'm done with getting squooshed so that I
can't breathe just to be up front at a concert. I think the last time I
enjoyed the experience was woodstock '99, where I was in the front 10 rows or
so for Metallica. I quickly decided that discretion was the better part of
staying alive, though (there was garbage all over the ground and it was very
easy to slip, and so packed I could easily imagine getting trampled), so I
scooted back to stand just in front of the sound tower. But maybe I'll change
my mind and yearn for the past in a few years =)

Monique Y. Mudama

Feb 10, 2005, 4:46:58 PM2/10/05
On 2005-02-10, Helen C Simmons penned:

> If it was me, it would be one of these...
>
> http://www.cervelo.com/bikes/2005/P3-Carbon.html
>
> with one of these to go with it.
>
> http://www.cervelo.com/bikes/2005/R25-Team.html
>
> I'd have to beat off Nathan and Vernon who would be wanting to "borrow" them
> all the time ;-)
>
> I may have to have one of these to go with the bikes, purely for aesthetics,
> of course...
>
> http://www.capture-the-peloton.com/Races/Lux04/10Basso.jpg

You have good taste!

For me, it would be a Titus Racer-X with choice components and a
custom-built frame. Maybe I'll even be able to afford it before I'm 40,
but I doubt it:

http://www.titusti.com/racerx.html

Only a little over $6K fully specced ... sigh ...

Helen C Simmons

Feb 10, 2005, 5:15:01 PM2/10/05

"CatNipped" <lcr...@houston.rr.com> wrote in message

> YAY! Good for you. What type of diet are you on - it sounds very
> successful!
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

I'm going to WeightWatchers - faithfully each week I go along, get weighed
and stay for the meeting.

Cheers, helen s

Helen C Simmons

Feb 10, 2005, 5:17:23 PM2/10/05

"Monique Y. Mudama" <sp...@bounceswoosh.org> wrote in message

> Er, please do be careful. that's more than 4lb/wk, which is faster than
> typically recommended.

Indeed it is. It does concern me as I'm eating three healthy meals a day,
with the odd healthy snack (veg soup or fruit), and I exercise moderately.
I'm not having any difficulty sticking to it, I'm not hungry and I'm half
expecting any time now to plateau, so the weight loss stalls for a while to
eventually average out to a couple of pounds a week.

Cheers, helen s

Helen C Simmons

Feb 10, 2005, 5:19:10 PM2/10/05

> You have good taste!

Thanks - Cervelo bikes are works of art as well as being technically
wonderful bikes.

> For me, it would be a Titus Racer-X with choice components and a
> custom-built frame. Maybe I'll even be able to afford it before I'm 40,
> but I doubt it:
>
> http://www.titusti.com/racerx.html
>
> Only a little over $6K fully specced ... sigh ...

I know I can't afford the Cervelo bikes. nathan had to make do with a
Cervelo t-shirt at Christmas as I couldn't run to a P3 ;-)

Cheers, helen s

CatNipped

Feb 10, 2005, 5:29:02 PM2/10/05
"Monique Y. Mudama" <sp...@bounceswoosh.org> wrote in message

> On 2005-02-10, Helen C Simmons penned:
>>
>> I shall attempt to mosh ;-)
>>
>> The gig is an added incentive to my diet. I *cannot* be taken to a rock
>> gig
>> by my teenage son and resemble a slug. In the last 8 weeks I've lost
>> 36.5lbs. I've still a long way to go, but I will *not* embarrass my
>> teenage
>> son by looking a total slug on the day!
>
> Er, please do be careful. that's more than 4lb/wk, which is faster than
> typically recommended.
>
> As for moshing, I'm only 27 but I'm done with getting squooshed so that I
> can't breathe just to be up front at a concert. I think the last time I
> enjoyed the experience was woodstock '99, where I was in the front 10 rows
> or
> so for Metallica. I quickly decided that discretion was the better part
> of
> staying alive, though (there was garbage all over the ground and it was
> very
> easy to slip, and so packed I could easily imagine getting trampled), so I
> scooted back to stand just in front of the sound tower. But maybe I'll
> change
> my mind and yearn for the past in a few years =)

Monique, you've probably never been very overweight in your life - it's
different when you are 50 - 100+ pounds overweight. In that case 4 pounds
in a week isn't very much when you first start a diet. When you are very
overweight, you can easily lose 4 pounds a week just in fluid. BTDT! ;>

Hugs,

CatNipped

Monique Y. Mudama

Feb 10, 2005, 5:37:09 PM2/10/05
On 2005-02-10, Helen C Simmons penned:

Well, as long as you're informed and keeping an eye on it, I'd imagine it's
all to the good. "Weight loss" is a hot button issue for me, because so many
people have scary misconceptions about what is good or healthy.

Not that I'm very good at the whole weight loss thing, but I think I have the
theory part down =P

Monique Y. Mudama

Feb 10, 2005, 5:44:24 PM2/10/05
On 2005-02-10, CatNipped penned:

> "Monique Y. Mudama" <sp...@bounceswoosh.org> wrote in message
>
> Monique, you've probably never been very overweight in your life - it's
> different when you are 50 - 100+ pounds overweight. In that case 4 pounds
> in a week isn't very much when you first start a diet. When you are very
> overweight, you can easily lose 4 pounds a week just in fluid. BTDT! ;>

I've never been what I'd term "obese", but I have certainly been above 30%
body fat pretty regularly ...

I understand that very heavy people may lose a lot of weight just by enacting
minor changes, but it was the amount lost over a period of two months that
worried me. Also, fluid loss can be misleading and isn't necessarily healthy,
either.

Everything I've read suggests that diets involving loss of more than
1-2lb/week may be adviseable for very heavy people, *with doctor supervision*.

Anyway, Helen is working with WW and as she's not hungry, I doubt she's doing
herself any harm. I've just heard of some very silly and frightening ideas
from people regarding weight loss in the past. (For example, people who quit
their exercise regimen because they were gaining weight (due to muscle), even
though they were actually losing fat.)

O J

Feb 10, 2005, 6:33:11 PM2/10/05
Helen S wrote:

>I shall attempt to mosh ;-)
>
>The gig is an added incentive to my diet. I *cannot* be taken to a rock gig
>by my teenage son and resemble a slug. In the last 8 weeks I've lost
>36.5lbs. I've still a long way to go, but I will *not* embarrass my teenage
>son by looking a total slug on the day!

Adult humor warning.....................

Do not read further if you are easily offended...................

His mates will be referring to you as a MILF. If they use that term
over there, that is.

Regards and Purrs,
O J

Definition may be found at
http://lingo2word.com/lingodetail.php?WordID=9146

Karen Chuplis

Feb 10, 2005, 7:13:27 PM2/10/05
in article t6rn01db8nr2av3po...@4ax.com, O J at
oj...@pacbell.BOGUS.net wrote on 2/10/05 5:33 PM:

Hmm. You learn somethng new everyday.

O J

Feb 10, 2005, 9:42:30 PM2/10/05
Karen Chuplis wrote:

>Hmm. You learn somethng new everyday.

I know I was surprised as h*ll the first time I ever looked up that
word.

Victor Martinez

Feb 10, 2005, 10:09:57 PM2/10/05
Helen C Simmons wrote:
> by my teenage son and resemble a slug. In the last 8 weeks I've lost
> 36.5lbs. I've still a long way to go, but I will *not* embarrass my teenage

You go girl!

Victor Martinez

Feb 10, 2005, 10:12:13 PM2/10/05
O J wrote:
> I know I was surprised as h*ll the first time I ever looked up that
> word.

http://www.fas.org/irp/world/para/milf.htm

I'm confused... ;-)

Helen C Simmons

Feb 11, 2005, 3:09:21 AM2/11/05

> Well, as long as you're informed and keeping an eye on it, I'd imagine
> it's
> all to the good. "Weight loss" is a hot button issue for me, because so
> many
> people have scary misconceptions about what is good or healthy.

Oh yes, I can empathise with that. I'm losing because I wasn't just
overweight, I was obese - badly so. I'm not happy or comfortable being so
heavy. I don't want to be thin - being underweight has health problems too.
I just want to be a reasonably healthy weight for my height & age, as it'll
help me continue to be active.

> Not that I'm very good at the whole weight loss thing, but I think I have
> the
> theory part down =P

I'm great at the theory ;-)

Cheers, helen s

Helen C Simmons

Feb 11, 2005, 3:14:01 AM2/11/05

> I've never been what I'd term "obese", but I have certainly been above 30%
> body fat pretty regularly ...
>
> I understand that very heavy people may lose a lot of weight just by
> enacting
> minor changes, but it was the amount lost over a period of two months that
> worried me. Also, fluid loss can be misleading and isn't necessarily
> healthy,
> either.

Heck it slightly worries me - and I'm making sure I eat sufficiently healthy
stuff. I even have the odd treat built in.

> Everything I've read suggests that diets involving loss of more than
> 1-2lb/week may be adviseable for very heavy people, *with doctor
> supervision*.

True - I'm keeping an eye on my loss. If I continue to lose so quickly, I'll
be off to the doc to get checked over :-)

> Anyway, Helen is working with WW and as she's not hungry, I doubt she's
> doing
> herself any harm. I've just heard of some very silly and frightening
> ideas
> from people regarding weight loss in the past. (For example, people who
> quit
> their exercise regimen because they were gaining weight (due to muscle),
> even
> though they were actually losing fat.)

I hear you :-) There's no way I'll be quitting my exercise - I love being
out on my bike far too much. I see some people trying to lose weight (not
maintain) who are obviously *thin* as opposed to slim and I shake my head in
disbelief. I also like my food waaay too much, so no danger of me starving.
I have three meals a day with the odd snack thrown in and I make allowance
for the occasional treat.

Cheers, helen s

Helen C Simmons

Feb 11, 2005, 3:16:50 AM2/11/05

> Helen C Simmons wrote:
>> by my teenage son and resemble a slug. In the last 8 weeks I've lost
>> 36.5lbs. I've still a long way to go, but I will *not* embarrass my
>> teenage
>
> You go girl!
>
> --
> Victor M. Martinez

Thank you sweetie :-) The rate of loss should slow, but I am hopefully on
target to being of a size where a pair of black ('natch) denims will not
look out of place by June 19th!

Cheers, helen s

Helen C Simmons

Feb 11, 2005, 3:15:30 AM2/11/05

>O J wrote:
>> I know I was surprised as h*ll the first time I ever looked up that
>> word.
>
> http://www.fas.org/irp/world/para/milf.htm
>
> I'm confused... ;-)
>
> --
> Victor M. Martinez

New keyboard Victor! You owe me a new keyboard!

Cheers, helen s ;-)

CatNipped

Feb 11, 2005, 2:00:16 PM2/11/05
"Monique Y. Mudama" <sp...@bounceswoosh.org> wrote in message

I don't know if you've been here long enough to have read this, but I had
gastric bypass surgery last year in March. Since then I've lost 102 pounds.
I didn't do it for vanity (if I had I would have done it 25 years ago when
my best had it done with fabulous results) - I'm a MaMere and, at 53, I
don't think I'll be walking down any runways again.

I did it for health reasons - my insurance paid for it because it was less
expensive than treating the problems I was headed for. I'm not making
excuses - my genes predisposed my to being overweight, but I didn't
compensate for that and ate *way* too much and way too much of the wrong
things. But however I had gotten there, I needed help and after a lifetime
of yoyo dieting my doctor thought the surgery was a last resort before I
died of a heart attack or stroke.

My blood pressure was 200 over 135, my cholesterol level was 328, my
triglycerides were 285, I was insulin resistant (borderline diabetic), my
blood glucose level was 15mmol/l *before* meals, I had gotten degenerative
disk disease in my spine (which actually was just diagnosed recently, but
caused by the excess weight), and I was headed for hip and/or knee
replacement surgery.

Since I lost the 102 pounds, my blood pressure is 110 over 70 (normal for me
when I was younger), my cholesterol is 136, my triglycerides are 78, and my
blood glucose level is 3mmol/l before meals. My back and knees are still in
bad shape, but by carrying around that much less weight I should be able to
cope *without* surgery.

I used the surgery as an opportunity - I started not only eating a lot less,
but eating only the right foods. I started exercising - a *LOT*. I feel
better than I've felt in 30 years!

All this to say that when I weighed 240 and started losing weight I lost
about an average of 5 pounds a week. As I got down to about 180 that had
tapered off to about 1 or 2 pounds a week. Now at 138 I'm slowing down to
*maybe* a couple of ounces a week.

So the heavier you are, the more weight you tend to lose each week *in
relation* to your weight. And when you go on a diet you tend to stop eating
the things that cause you to retain fluids so you start losing water along
with the fat.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Napoleon

Feb 11, 2005, 4:46:37 PM2/11/05

Helen C Simmons wrote:
> "Margaret Fine" <mef...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Before the spelling police come out, I mean Metallica. I also
forgot to
> > say HAVE A GOOD TIME (had to yell because you will be having
trouble
> > hearing afterward...) :-)
> >
> > --
> > Margaret Fine
> > mef...@mindspring.com
>
> Pardon??? Pardon???
> I'm really looking forward to it. One of the support acts is Jimmy
Eat World
> and I like their stuff too. Funnily enough, when I was Nathan's age I
didn't
> like rock apart from the odd Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin track. I
definitely
> was not a rocker.

Does this mean you were a Mod? Did you hava a Vespa?

Guess I'm just a kid at heart even though the body err...
> isn't ;-) What I'm really rather touched by is that Nathan *wants* to
go to
> the gig with me - he didn't say he wanted to go with his mates - he
said he
> wants to go with me. I'm making the most of it - such days will
surely not
> last much longer.
>
> Cheers, helen s

Monique Y. Mudama

Feb 11, 2005, 4:48:41 PM2/11/05
On 2005-02-11, Helen C Simmons penned:

> Oh yes, I can empathise with that. I'm losing because I wasn't just
> overweight, I was obese - badly so. I'm not happy or comfortable being so
> heavy. I don't want to be thin - being underweight has health problems too.
> I just want to be a reasonably healthy weight for my height & age, as it'll
> help me continue to be active.

It's also hard to find workout clothing, especially for cycling, if you're not
tiny. At least, that's what I've noticed. I'm an extra-large in a lot of
women's jerseys, and I don't think I'm *that* big! I do wonder what truly
large women do. At least there's teamestrogen.com, which caters to female
cyclists, but it doesn't necessarily have a ton of "plus sizes" gear.

I think it's a shame that there isn't more workout clothing for plus-size
people. I mean, it's hard enough getting up the guts to work out when you're
overweight and out of shape; it's just that much harder when you can't even
find the appropriate gear. I'm sure there'd be a number of people who would
pay a premium for that sort of stuff.

Monique Y. Mudama

Feb 11, 2005, 4:54:04 PM2/11/05
On 2005-02-11, Helen C Simmons penned:

> I hear you :-) There's no way I'll be quitting my exercise - I love being
> out on my bike far too much. I see some people trying to lose weight (not
> maintain) who are obviously *thin* as opposed to slim and I shake my head in
> disbelief. I also like my food waaay too much, so no danger of me starving.
> I have three meals a day with the odd snack thrown in and I make allowance
> for the occasional treat.
>
> Cheers, helen s

Yeah, I'm lucky that I enjoy lots of sports -- the rougher the better, it
seems, much to mom's chagrin. On the other hand, carrying a little extra
weight doesn't hurt in ice hockey *grin* ...

I don't think I'll ever be at risk of being called thin, and that's okay with
me. I would love to be a lean, mean fighting machine. Maybe now that I'm off
of depo, I have a shot ... I'll have to see if that has any noticable effect
on my weight ...

And I *adore* food. It's a serious weakness. After every mountain bike ride,
I used to go for a huge, lardy plate of cheeseburger and fries with ranch
dressing to dip 'em in. Eek! Or a burrito smothered in cheese. Since then,
a pro mtber gave me the advice to eat a snack with both protein and carbs
right after the workout. That way, I don't get that overpowering craving for
fat about half an hour after cooling down.

Monique Y. Mudama

Feb 11, 2005, 5:15:26 PM2/11/05
On 2005-02-11, CatNipped penned:

> I don't know if you've been here long enough to have read this, but I had
> gastric bypass surgery last year in March. Since then I've lost 102 pounds.
> I didn't do it for vanity (if I had I would have done it 25 years ago when
> my best had it done with fabulous results) - I'm a MaMere and, at 53, I
> don't think I'll be walking down any runways again.

I just arrived here around November, I think, so I wasn't around for
that. I applaud you for losing the weight. I know that surgery alone
isn't enough; you obviously put a lot of work into it.

[snip]

> All this to say that when I weighed 240 and started losing weight I lost
> about an average of 5 pounds a week. As I got down to about 180 that had
> tapered off to about 1 or 2 pounds a week. Now at 138 I'm slowing down to
> *maybe* a couple of ounces a week.
>
> So the heavier you are, the more weight you tend to lose each week *in
> relation* to your weight. And when you go on a diet you tend to stop eating
> the things that cause you to retain fluids so you start losing water along
> with the fat.

That makes sense. It's just that I've never seen a weight loss guideline that
had a "per pound of body weight" measurement.

Unfortunately, I've found that a lot of low-fat recipes compensate by being high
in sodium. As I understand it, sodium isn't such a bad thing if you have a
healthy heart (as I do), but it's too bad. I guess you need to get flavor
from somewhere. It certainly doesn't help in the fluid retention category.

Your story is quite inspirational. I think a healthy body weight for me
(considering that I do a lot of activities and expect to have a good deal of
muscle) is 140, and that seems *so* hard from here. I can't imagine how
distant it would seem from 240.

CatNipped

Feb 11, 2005, 7:36:17 PM2/11/05

> On 2005-02-11, CatNipped penned:
> >
> > I don't know if you've been here long enough to have read this, but I
had
> > gastric bypass surgery last year in March. Since then I've lost 102
pounds.
> > I didn't do it for vanity (if I had I would have done it 25 years ago
when
> > my best had it done with fabulous results) - I'm a MaMere and, at 53, I
> > don't think I'll be walking down any runways again.
>
> I just arrived here around November, I think, so I wasn't around for
> that. I applaud you for losing the weight. I know that surgery alone
> isn't enough; you obviously put a lot of work into it.

Well, sort of. I heard one person here say that someone she knew went out
and ate a cheeseburger right after the surgery - I just can't in my wildest
dreams imagine that. I was on nothing but liquids (not even soft foods -
just *liquids*) for 3 weeks after surgery. Then just soft foods for another
6 weeks after that.

The surgery reduced my stomach to the size of a golf ball, so just a few
tablespoons of something filled me up to capacity (and I still can't eat
much more than that even now).

And I was told that any sugar, even the slightest amount, would cause me to
get *REALLY* sick and I found out that was true, inadvertently. About 3
months after the surgery I ate some jellied cranberry sauce not realizing
how much sugar it contained (DOH!), and for *hours* after that I was
worshipping the porceline throne and asking god to take me now, please take
me now!!! It not only makes you nauseated, it also makes the blood rush
from your brain to your intestines (called "dumping") so you feel like
you're going to pass out and you get dizzy and lightheaded and a feeling
like hot flashes. It's horrible!!!!!!!!

But, I also didn't try to "push" my body to eat more than it wanted (which
is, I hear, what happens to people to have the surgery and then put on
weight again - it takes a certain amount of determination to stretch out
your stomach because when you eat too much it *hurts*). I've also heard
that after a while you can even eat sugar, but I won't even make that
attempt!

It *is* still hard. When something tastes really good it's easy to just
keep eating, so I now put just enough on my plate that I know my stomach
will hold comfortably and no matter how good it tastes, I limit myself to
that (but that's really just cowardice - I don't like to hurt! ;>).

I also push myself to exercise - I do 45 minutes *every* day of yoga and
strenthening exercises like curnches, and 4 times a week I do an additional
45 minutes of aerobics (8 miles split between exercycle and treadmill).

> [snip]
>
> > All this to say that when I weighed 240 and started losing weight I lost
> > about an average of 5 pounds a week. As I got down to about 180 that
had
> > tapered off to about 1 or 2 pounds a week. Now at 138 I'm slowing down
> > *maybe* a couple of ounces a week.
> >
> > So the heavier you are, the more weight you tend to lose each week *in
> > relation* to your weight. And when you go on a diet you tend to stop
eating
> > the things that cause you to retain fluids so you start losing water
along
> > with the fat.
>
> That makes sense. It's just that I've never seen a weight loss guideline
that
> had a "per pound of body weight" measurement.

No, there isn't one, it's just that when you have *so* much weight to lose,
it comes off fast at first. The closer you are to your "goal weight", the
less you lose at any one time because it takes so much less calories to
"maintain" your weight.

In other words, if you weigh 500 pounds it may take 4,000 calories a day to
just keep your weight at 500 pounds (exercise not figured in). But if you
weigh 140 pounds it will only take about 1200 calories a day to keep your
weight at 140 pounds. Partly because is takes more calories to walk around
carrying an extra 360 pounds.

So if you start eating a 1200 calorie a day diet, at first you'll lose
weight really fast, but as you get slimmer, the amount of weight you lose
tapers off. OK, this explanation is getting very convoluted, but does any
of that make sense??? ;>

> Unfortunately, I've found that a lot of low-fat recipes compensate by
being high
> in sodium. As I understand it, sodium isn't such a bad thing if you have
> healthy heart (as I do), but it's too bad. I guess you need to get flavor
> from somewhere. It certainly doesn't help in the fluid retention
category.

True, too true. I find I'm using a *lot* more salt now than I did before -
fortunately since I eat so little that's not a lot of total salt. But when
I was on the straight liquid diet I lost a *lot* of fluids at first (ironic,
isn't it?)! ;>

> Your story is quite inspirational. I think a healthy body weight for me
> (considering that I do a lot of activities and expect to have a good deal
of
> muscle) is 140, and that seems *so* hard from here. I can't imagine how
> distant it would seem from 240.

Very, very far. The problem I had my whole life is that it takes a near
starvation diet for me to lose weight, and when I just ate "normally" I
would put the weight right back on. So it wasn't just the thought of having
to lose the weight that was overwhelming - it was the fact that I would have
to starve myself for the rest of my life to *keep* it off. I used to go on
800 calorie a day diets, love maybe 15 or 20 pounds, get discouraged, eat
normally and then put back on 30 or 40 pounds. I've heard that yoyo dieting
is even worse for your health than just being continually overweight.

The sugery helps in that, not only does it reduce you stomach to the size of
a golf ball, but it bypasses a lot of your small intestine so that much less
food is being absorbed into the body, so you're losing weight for both
reasons. So even though I eat less (and want less to eat), I'm more
encouraged by knowing that if I eat 1200 calories, some of those calories
aren't being absorbed into my body so I'm less likely to gain weight back
again (although it is possible).

Hugs,

CatNipped

CatNipped

Feb 11, 2005, 8:18:55 PM2/11/05
I hate even remembering what I was like a year ago by looking at these
pictures, but if you're curious, here are some "before" and "after" photos.

http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/Changes/

Hugs,

CatNipped

"CatNipped" <CatN...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

Karen Chuplis

Feb 11, 2005, 11:10:17 PM2/11/05
in article 3QcPd.37452$uL5....@fe2.texas.rr.com, CatNipped at
CatN...@ix.netcom.com wrote on 2/11/05 7:18 PM:

> I hate even remembering what I was like a year ago by looking at these
> pictures, but if you're curious, here are some "before" and "after" photos.
>
> http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/Changes/
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

Holy cow. That's great. (Remember we need to know where we were so we know
where we are :)

Victor Martinez

Feb 12, 2005, 12:07:32 AM2/12/05
CatNipped wrote:
> http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/Changes/

*speechless*

Helen C Simmons

Feb 12, 2005, 5:39:33 AM2/12/05

> On 2005-02-11, Helen C Simmons penned:
>>

>> Oh yes, I can empathise with that. I'm losing because I wasn't just
>> overweight, I was obese - badly so. I'm not happy or comfortable being so
>> heavy. I don't want to be thin - being underweight has health problems
>> too.
>> I just want to be a reasonably healthy weight for my height & age, as
>> it'll
>> help me continue to be active.
>
> It's also hard to find workout clothing, especially for cycling, if you're
> not
> tiny. At least, that's what I've noticed. I'm an extra-large in a lot of
> women's jerseys, and I don't think I'm *that* big! I do wonder what truly
> large women do. At least there's teamestrogen.com, which caters to female
> cyclists, but it doesn't necessarily have a ton of "plus sizes" gear.

I wear men's sizing stuff - is what we larger ladies do. Mind you I'm
rapidly approaching the level where I am no longer obese but merely
overweight :-) That is a real incentive for me to keep going. Certainly on
t'other side of the pond there is a much greater choice of *feminine*
designs in cycling wear than on this side of the pond. The sizings are crazy
though - in general terms - what is classed an an XL in women's cycling
attire is *not* really a real-life XL.

> I think it's a shame that there isn't more workout clothing for plus-size
> people. I mean, it's hard enough getting up the guts to work out when
> you're
> overweight and out of shape; it's just that much harder when you can't
> even
> find the appropriate gear. I'm sure there'd be a number of people who
> would
> pay a premium for that sort of stuff.

Indeed - you are spot on. It's like the manufacturers are saying "We don't
want fat people in our clothing" BAH!

Cheers, helen s

Helen C Simmons

Feb 12, 2005, 5:42:52 AM2/12/05

>I hate even remembering what I was like a year ago by looking at these
> pictures, but if you're curious, here are some "before" and "after"
> photos.
>
> http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/Changes/
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

Half the woman you were :-) Well done.

Cheers, helen s

Helen C Simmons

Feb 12, 2005, 5:36:28 AM2/12/05

"Napoleon" <Napo...@myeweb.com> wrote in message

> Does this mean you were a Mod? Did you hava a Vespa?

Oi! I'm not *that* old! ;-)

Cheers, helen s

remove @shaw.ca Susan M

Feb 12, 2005, 10:51:53 AM2/12/05
Congratulations on your committment to this - wow! You must feel great and
have so much more energy!

Susan M
Otis and Chester

CatNipped

Feb 12, 2005, 11:19:47 AM2/12/05
"Karen Chuplis" <kchu...@alltel.net> wrote in message

This is true. But it's weird, because when I was that size I didn't "feel"
like I was that size. It was like I had the opposite of anorexia. When I
look at the pictures now I can't "remember" being that big. I *DO* remember
feeling bad all the time - tired, hurting (the fibromyalgia was much worse
from carrying around all that extra weight). But inside I didn't feel like
I was that big.

Now, it's just the opposite again, I don't feel like I'm this small.
Sometimes I'll walk past a mirror and do a "double-take" like I've glimpsed
a stranger in my house from the corner of my eye. Part of this is probably
because it's been less than a year since I was that size, but part of it is
a deep-seated fear that I'll be that big again in less than a year (because
there were so many times in my life that that happened). I still wake up in
a panic sometimes thinking the weight loss was just a dream.

I've shopped at a thrift shop that sells second-hand clothes for the past
year because I would get down to one size and just a couple of weeks later
it would be too big (I went from a size 24-26 to a size 4-6) and I didn't
want to spend a fortune on clothes that I would only wear a couple of times.
The thrift store,of course, doesn't have sizes marked on the racks and I
will invariably find myself looking at something that I think will fit me
but when I look at the size inside I see it's a 14 or 16.

The other day my husband came up behind me, lifted me up with one arm, slung
me over his shoulder, and danced around the room with me held high. I
freaked!! I was so afraid he was going to hurt himself (he has a bad back),
but he laughed and just tossed me up higher!!!

Hugs,

CatNipped

CatNipped

Feb 12, 2005, 11:20:41 AM2/12/05

> CatNipped wrote:
> > http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/Changes/
>
> *speechless*

I know, hard to believe that was me less than a year ago!

Hugs,

CatNipped

CatNipped

Feb 12, 2005, 11:21:39 AM2/12/05
"Helen C Simmons" <waf...@v21net.co.uk> wrote in message

Thank you. But, you know, I take more pride in having quit smoking than the
weight loss. The surgery didn't do a thing to help me quit smoking - that
was all on my own!!

Hugs,

CatNipped

CatNipped

Feb 12, 2005, 11:42:22 AM2/12/05
"Susan M" <smawdsley remove @shaw.ca> wrote in message

> Congratulations on your committment to this - wow! You must feel great
and
> have so much more energy!

Yeah, when I was 240 pounds and smoking, I couldn't have walked briskly for
even half a block before getting winded and having to stop. Now I cycle 6
miles in 20 minutes and then get on the treadmill and at 3.5MPH walk another
mile + and I can still carry on a converstaion while doing so.

My daughter and granddaughters were here at Christmas and I could out-run
and out-play even the youngest! We jogged half a mile to the playground and
I beat them!!! And then climbed the monkey bars and beat them to the
top!!!!!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Victor Martinez

Feb 12, 2005, 11:47:14 AM2/12/05
CatNipped wrote:
> I beat them!!! And then climbed the monkey bars and beat them to the
> top!!!!!

Someone should've taken a picture of that... :)

CatNipped

Feb 12, 2005, 11:49:53 AM2/12/05

> CatNipped wrote:
> > I beat them!!! And then climbed the monkey bars and beat them to the
> > top!!!!!
>
> Someone should've taken a picture of that... :)

I was too fast for that - you'd have only seen a blur!!! ;>

Really, when I said that I feel like I'm 16 inside I lied - I really feel
like I'm 6 (and sometimes act younger!!!). ;>

Hugs,

CatNipped

Monique Y. Mudama

Feb 13, 2005, 12:23:02 PM2/13/05
On 2005-02-12, CatNipped penned:

> Really, when I said that I feel like I'm 16 inside I lied - I really feel
> like I'm 6 (and sometimes act younger!!!). ;>

When I was sticking to a low-fat diet, I felt like that. I wanted to climb
the safety rails of stairs, walk on the tops of walls, etc. I just had so
much energy!

I really need to get back to that. Sounds so easy, right?

Monique Y. Mudama

Feb 13, 2005, 12:21:55 PM2/13/05
On 2005-02-12, CatNipped penned:

> I hate even remembering what I was like a year ago by looking at these
> pictures, but if you're curious, here are some "before" and "after" photos.
>
> http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/Changes/

Wow! Just, wow!

Monique Y. Mudama

Feb 13, 2005, 12:20:40 PM2/13/05
On 2005-02-12, CatNipped penned:

> "Monique Y. Mudama" <sp...@bounceswoosh.org> wrote in message
>>
>> I just arrived here around November, I think, so I wasn't around for that.
>> I applaud you for losing the weight. I know that surgery alone isn't
>> enough; you obviously put a lot of work into it.
>
> It *is* still hard. When something tastes really good it's easy to just
> keep eating, so I now put just enough on my plate that I know my stomach
> will hold comfortably and no matter how good it tastes, I limit myself to
> that (but that's really just cowardice - I don't like to hurt! ;>).

See! You exercise willpower. Sure, it's with an assist, but I still think
you should give yourself credit for this accomplishment.

> I also push myself to exercise - I do 45 minutes *every* day of yoga and
> strenthening exercises like curnches, and 4 times a week I do an additional
> 45 minutes of aerobics (8 miles split between exercycle and treadmill).

See, again! This is not something the surgery forced you to do. That's a
*lot* of exercise, and a large time commitment. In contrast, I should be
doing about 20 minutes of PT exercises for my knee every other day ... and I
never do it =/

> So if you start eating a 1200 calorie a day diet, at first you'll lose
> weight really fast, but as you get slimmer, the amount of weight you lose
> tapers off. OK, this explanation is getting very convoluted, but does any
> of that make sense??? ;>

It does =)

> True, too true. I find I'm using a *lot* more salt now than I did before -
> fortunately since I eat so little that's not a lot of total salt. But when
> I was on the straight liquid diet I lost a *lot* of fluids at first (ironic,
> isn't it?)! ;>

On first blush, but it makes sense =)

> Very, very far. The problem I had my whole life is that it takes a near
> starvation diet for me to lose weight, and when I just ate "normally" I
> would put the weight right back on. So it wasn't just the thought of having
> to lose the weight that was overwhelming - it was the fact that I would have
> to starve myself for the rest of my life to *keep* it off. I used to go on
> 800 calorie a day diets, love maybe 15 or 20 pounds, get discouraged, eat
> normally and then put back on 30 or 40 pounds. I've heard that yoyo dieting
> is even worse for your health than just being continually overweight.

I believe so. And I know what you mean about the horror of realizing "I have
to eat this way for the rest of my life." I've found a lot of great low-fat
recipes, but I still can't go to a restaurant offering wings without eating
them, and it's almost as hard for me to resist a cheese-smothered burrito.
Hrm, no wonder I'm having trouble. Even quitting soda and caffeine a few
years ago seems to have some unintended side effects; the caffeine was acting
as an appetite suppressant.

> The sugery helps in that, not only does it reduce you stomach to the size of
> a golf ball, but it bypasses a lot of your small intestine so that much less
> food is being absorbed into the body, so you're losing weight for both
> reasons. So even though I eat less (and want less to eat), I'm more
> encouraged by knowing that if I eat 1200 calories, some of those calories
> aren't being absorbed into my body so I'm less likely to gain weight back
> again (although it is possible).

Well. I don't think I'd ever have the courage to do this surgery, even if I
needed to. Kudos to you for making some huge sacrifices so that you can be
more healthy.

Monique Y. Mudama

Feb 13, 2005, 12:59:23 PM2/13/05
On 2005-02-12, Helen C Simmons penned:

> I wear men's sizing stuff - is what we larger ladies do.

Ugh! The chamois in DH's cycling pants look nothing like mine. That must be
uncomfortable. I do wear men's jerseys if I like the graphic and they don't
have it in a women's version, but I've noticed the men's jerseys have even
less room for hips than the women's!

Monique Y. Mudama

Feb 13, 2005, 2:06:20 PM2/13/05
On 2005-02-12, CatNipped penned:

> Thank you. But, you know, I take more pride in having quit smoking than the
> weight loss. The surgery didn't do a thing to help me quit smoking - that
> was all on my own!!

Definitely an awesome accomplishment, as well.

Helen C Simmons

Feb 13, 2005, 1:06:21 PM2/13/05

> Ugh! The chamois in DH's cycling pants look nothing like mine. That must
> be
> uncomfortable. I do wear men's jerseys if I like the graphic and they
> don't
> have it in a women's version, but I've noticed the men's jerseys have even
> less room for hips than the women's!

Maybe I've got strange female nether regions, but I really don't find the
shorts in any way uncomfortable :-)

Cheers, helen s

Monique Y. Mudama

Feb 14, 2005, 12:17:54 PM2/14/05
On 2005-02-13, Helen C Simmons penned:

Well, I've gotten extremely uncomfortable pressure from every women's chamois
I've ever used*, so maybe you're actually on to something ...

*) Well, when I ride on an even surface. It's not a problem on "real"
mountain bike rides, because my body's moving enough that I'm not settled onto
the seat for a long time.