OT: I'm back. Damaged a little, but trying

Skip to the first unread message

Janet Wilder

4 Jun 2006, 11:43:2404/06/2006
As Hunter reported, the cancer was larger than the doctor thought. The
left half of my tongue is gone. The tip is still there.

I look like something the cat dragged in. Lips are cut up and face is
still swollen. I can swallow small sips of liquids and there is still a
bunch of pain when I try to swallow. Takes me an hour to finish one can
of nutrition shake.

Talking hurts. I hope that goes away. I can be understood, but I think
the stage career is over. I won't be able to sing well, but I couldn't
sing before the operation, either.

I see the doctor in a week and he'll decide if I need speech therapy.

Slept most of yesterday. They don't let you sleep in the hospital at all.

There aren't enough words to thank all of you for your thoughts and
prayers. I know it helped me to come through this ordeal.

Love to you all
-----------
Janet Wilder
The Road Princess
http://janetwilder.blogspot.com

Cliff

4 Jun 2006, 12:17:1504/06/2006

Janet, I knew a "Tough Ole Bird" like you would do just fine. But seeing
you back warms the heart.
Do go to speech therapy if it is available, you will be surprised what
you can do with the proper help and encouragement. My friend in Florida
went through the same operation as you, and you really have to listen hard
to notice, and then it comes across as an accent rather than a speech
problem. Looking forward to seeing you and Barry on the road somewhere.
Cliff in San Antonio loving the River Walk area
--
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the
moments that take our breath away. Our Web Side www.cj-and-m.com

Bob Giddings

4 Jun 2006, 12:25:3604/06/2006

She's ba-a-a-a-ack! Get some rest, Janet. Hospitals give you no
rest. They're worse than a helpful husband.

Bob

http://www.arcatapet.net/bobgiddings

Jon Porter

4 Jun 2006, 12:44:3204/06/2006

"Janet Wilder" <kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> As Hunter reported, the cancer was larger than the doctor thought. The
> left half of my tongue is gone. The tip is still there.
>
> I look like something the cat dragged in. Lips are cut up and face is
> still swollen. I can swallow small sips of liquids and there is still a
> bunch of pain when I try to swallow. Takes me an hour to finish one can of
> nutrition shake.
>
> Talking hurts. I hope that goes away. I can be understood, but I think the
> stage career is over. I won't be able to sing well, but I couldn't sing
> before the operation, either.
>
> I see the doctor in a week and he'll decide if I need speech therapy.

I think that you are going to be surprised at what you can do about that.
Speech was my minor when I got my Bachelor's, and I learned then that
physical disabilities in that area can be dealt with quite well.
--
Jon
JPinOH

RichA

4 Jun 2006, 12:54:5704/06/2006
On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 10:43:24 -0500, Janet Wilder
<kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi Janet,
Great to see you posting again! With your courage and determination
you'll be back to your old self in no time. That cancer stuff is pretty
traumatic, my wife had a chunk of her leg removed 20 some years ago.
She calls it her shark bite. The important thing is you are now on the
road to recovery and you are going to be just great, singing, dancing,
writing or whatever you want to do. You've got the right attitude so
it's only going to be another bump in the road of life, a big one right
now no doubt, but they all wear down over time :)

Take care and Happy Campin...
--
RichA
"We Get Too Soon Olde and Too Late Smart"

Janet Wilder

4 Jun 2006, 12:56:2604/06/2006
Cliff wrote:

> Janet, I knew a "Tough Ole Bird" like you would do just fine. But seeing
> you back warms the heart.
> Do go to speech therapy if it is available, you will be surprised what
> you can do with the proper help and encouragement. My friend in Florida
> went through the same operation as you, and you really have to listen hard
> to notice, and then it comes across as an accent rather than a speech
> problem. Looking forward to seeing you and Barry on the road somewhere.
> Cliff in San Antonio loving the River Walk area

Thanks Cliff and Marie, too. While you are in San Antonio find Lulu's
Bakery and Cafe. They are on Main street. The best chicken fried steak
I've ever had. The cinnamon buns are as big as a loaf of bread. Really!

Hugs,

Max

4 Jun 2006, 12:57:2604/06/2006

"Janet Wilder" <kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Atta girl, glad to see you back. I'm reminded of a time in Korea when I
lost 8 of my front teeth (4 up, 4 down) at the end of a "Chink" rifle butt.
My temporo-mandibular joint was messed up and I could barely open my mouth.
When I tried to talk I sounded like a poor man's ventriloquist.
All mumbles. My wife says that's why I talk so much now. <G>
With your marvelous spirit, you'll be good as new in no time.

Max

Cliff

4 Jun 2006, 12:59:1304/06/2006
Janet Wilder wrote:

> Cliff wrote:
>

> Thanks Cliff and Marie, too. While you are in San Antonio find Lulu's
> Bakery and Cafe. They are on Main street. The best chicken fried steak
> I've ever had. The cinnamon buns are as big as a loaf of bread.
> Really!
> Hugs,
Found it, have the Pounds to prove it !!! LOL
Cliff

Hunter

4 Jun 2006, 13:31:1204/06/2006
<kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I see the doctor in a week and he'll decide if I need speech therapy.

Hi Janet!

I spoke to Barry a while ago this morning.... just checking up on you.

Glad to see you're back posting.

I can't imagine you needing much speech therapy, when we spoke
yesterday you sounded a bit groggy, but your speech was clear.

Hunter
--

http://members.aol.com/hhamp5246/roadtrip2005.htm

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

Don Lampson

4 Jun 2006, 13:39:1104/06/2006
Janet
Glad to see you posting again, but winching to think of how torn up
your mouth must be - And feel!
However, with your thoughts of chicken fried steak, and "sticky
buns" in San Antonio, I suspect you're healing up pretty rapidly.
Hunger is a sure sign of being on the mend.....
I guess I can stop praying for the good Lord to pull you through now,
and go back to my nightly prayers, of thank yous, instead of
"gimmies"....
Hope you'll be able to eat soon, and make a full recovery ASAP!
Don

altar nospam

4 Jun 2006, 14:33:4904/06/2006
<kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>There aren't enough words to thank all of you for your thoughts and
>prayers. I know it helped me to come through this ordeal.
>
>Love to you all

Welcome back, Janet. You were missed.

Tom

RAMł

4 Jun 2006, 15:36:2304/06/2006
"Janet Wilder" <kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> As Hunter reported, the cancer was larger than the doctor thought. The
> left half of my tongue is gone. The tip is still there.

Speech-wise, the tip is the most important part! <g>

> I look like something the cat dragged in. Lips are cut up and face is
> still swollen. I can swallow small sips of liquids and there is still a
> bunch of pain when I try to swallow. Takes me an hour to finish one can of
> nutrition shake.
>
> Talking hurts. I hope that goes away. I can be understood, but I think the
> stage career is over. I won't be able to sing well, but I couldn't sing
> before the operation, either.
>
> I see the doctor in a week and he'll decide if I need speech therapy.
>
> Slept most of yesterday. They don't let you sleep in the hospital at all.
>
> There aren't enough words to thank all of you for your thoughts and
> prayers. I know it helped me to come through this ordeal.
>
> Love to you all

Hang in, Janet, both "there" and with us.

BTW, Welcome to the ranks of the Cancer Survivors! <VBG>

Tom J

4 Jun 2006, 15:42:1604/06/2006
Janet Wilder wrote:

> Talking hurts. I hope that goes away. I can be understood, but I
> think
> the stage career is over. I won't be able to sing well, but I
> couldn't
> sing before the operation, either.

We could start a new singing duet, because I could never sing either!!
Now to the serious side. Janet, hang in there and look for the best
spin on all this and it'll come through for you. You'll be frustrated,
mad, angry, sore, hurt and all those other things that drag you down -
BUT try your best to stay postive.
Remember - STAY POSTIVE!!

Tom J

Carl A.

4 Jun 2006, 15:50:3804/06/2006

"Janet Wilder" <kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> As Hunter reported, the cancer was larger than the doctor thought. The
> left half of my tongue is gone. The tip is still there.
>

> There aren't enough words to thank all of you for your thoughts and
> prayers. I know it helped me to come through this ordeal.
>
> Love to you all

Janet,

does this mean I go back to only one G&T/night? I really started to enjoy
the one dedicated to Janet.

Perhaps it will help the recovery if I continue for a few more weeks?

Anyway, welcome back.

Just imagine how much Barry would miss it if you were to remain speechless
for a while <g>.

Carl A.

AJ

4 Jun 2006, 17:05:0604/06/2006
Janet Wilder wrote:
> As Hunter reported, the cancer was larger than the doctor thought. The
> left half of my tongue is gone. The tip is still there.
>
> I look like something the cat dragged in. Lips are cut up and face is
> still swollen. I can swallow small sips of liquids and there is still a
> bunch of pain when I try to swallow. Takes me an hour to finish one can
> of nutrition shake.

Hang in there... I tell people that my cancer may be the best thing
that happened to me as it caused me to reevaluate a lot of things and
how important they really were. You survived and tomorrow will look
amazing. Try to look on the positive side and enjoy all the wonderful
things in your life. I know that life is a lot sweeter for me and I
enjoy things a lot more than I ever did in the past! Plus with RVing
you have more fiends to play with than most people.

--
Jim & Barb - Not all those who wander are lost
Phooey

Carl A.

4 Jun 2006, 17:25:2204/06/2006

"AJ" <alf...@att.invalid.net> wrote in message
> . . . Plus with RVing you have more fiends to play with than most people.

I think I resemble that characterization <g>
--

Carl A. in FL
Photojournals of my travels are at

FMB

4 Jun 2006, 17:42:2404/06/2006
"Janet Wilder" <kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Welcome back Janet. Get plenty of rest but come on to say 'Hi' as often as
you can.

FMB

Bob McNabb

4 Jun 2006, 17:55:2204/06/2006
Welcome back, Janet!

Your NYC accent may be erased when you see the speech therapist, as
those therapists carefully take care of that "speech problem" first.

I'm still praying for your full recovery.

Bob McNabb

Hunter

4 Jun 2006, 18:20:1104/06/2006
On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 21:05:06 GMT, AJ <alf...@att.invalid.net> wrote:

>Plus with RVing
>you have more fiends to play with than most people.

Speak for yourself <g>

Max

4 Jun 2006, 18:22:4104/06/2006

"AJ" <alf...@att.invalid.net> wrote in message

Yes, and fiends can be fun to play with....sometimes. <G>

Max

Janet Wilder

4 Jun 2006, 20:14:4704/06/2006
RichA wrote:

> Hi Janet,
> Great to see you posting again! With your courage and determination
> you'll be back to your old self in no time. That cancer stuff is pretty
> traumatic, my wife had a chunk of her leg removed 20 some years ago.
> She calls it her shark bite. The important thing is you are now on the
> road to recovery and you are going to be just great, singing, dancing,
> writing or whatever you want to do. You've got the right attitude so
> it's only going to be another bump in the road of life, a big one right
> now no doubt, but they all wear down over time :)
>
> Take care and Happy Campin...

Thanks, Rich. I hadn't thought about it, but I can still dance!!

Janet Wilder

4 Jun 2006, 20:17:2204/06/2006
Max wrote:
> Atta girl, glad to see you back. I'm reminded of a time in Korea when I
> lost 8 of my front teeth (4 up, 4 down) at the end of a "Chink" rifle butt.
> My temporo-mandibular joint was messed up and I could barely open my mouth.
> When I tried to talk I sounded like a poor man's ventriloquist.
> All mumbles. My wife says that's why I talk so much now. <G>
> With your marvelous spirit, you'll be good as new in no time.

Thanks Max. I'm sure gonna try. Don't forget you and Mrs. Max are
invited to visit if you are in The Valley. We don't realize how precious
speech is until it's not there.

Janet Wilder

4 Jun 2006, 20:17:4304/06/2006
Cliff wrote:

> Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>>Cliff wrote:
>>

>>Thanks Cliff and Marie, too. While you are in San Antonio find Lulu's
>>Bakery and Cafe. They are on Main street. The best chicken fried steak
>>I've ever had. The cinnamon buns are as big as a loaf of bread.
>>Really!
>>Hugs,
>
> Found it, have the Pounds to prove it !!! LOL
> Cliff

Great isn't it?

Janet Wilder

4 Jun 2006, 20:19:0604/06/2006
Hunter wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 10:43:24 -0500, Janet Wilder
> <kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>I see the doctor in a week and he'll decide if I need speech therapy.
>

> Hi Janet!
>
> I spoke to Barry a while ago this morning.... just checking up on you.
>
> Glad to see you're back posting.
>
> I can't imagine you needing much speech therapy, when we spoke
> yesterday you sounded a bit groggy, but your speech was clear.
>
> Hunter

Thanks, Hunter. It seems it sounds clearer to others than it does to me.
I did practice a little and I can call Mah Jongg tiles. Hopefully I can
be back at playing in a few weeks.

Janet Wilder

4 Jun 2006, 20:21:4504/06/2006
Don Lampson wrote:

Thanks Don. I'm not at all hungry just wanted Cliff to experience my
favorite San Antonio dining experience. I'm trying to finish a cup of
broth and it's not an easy task.

Thanks for the prayers. I am 100% positive that they worked.

Kevin W. Miller

4 Jun 2006, 20:24:4304/06/2006
Janet Wilder wrote:
> Max wrote:
> > Atta girl, glad to see you back. I'm reminded of a time in Korea
> > when I lost 8 of my front teeth (4 up, 4 down) at the end of a
> > "Chink" rifle butt. My temporo-mandibular joint was messed up and I
> > could barely open my mouth. When I tried to talk I sounded like a
> > poor man's ventriloquist. All mumbles. My wife says that's why I talk
> > so much now. <G>
> > With your marvelous spirit, you'll be good as new in no time.
> >

> Thanks Max. I'm sure gonna try. Don't forget you and Mrs. Max are
> invited to visit if you are in The Valley. We don't realize how
> precious speech is until it's not there.

I don't know about that. Jackie had a thyroid operation of some sort several
years ago. I asked the doc if he could install a volume control while he was
in there. Jackie didn't think much of that idea but she let me back in the
house after just a few nights anyway.

--
Kevin W. Miller

Janet Wilder

4 Jun 2006, 20:29:4104/06/2006
altar nospam wrote:

Thanks, Tom

Janet Wilder

4 Jun 2006, 20:36:2804/06/2006
Tom J wrote:

I'm trying. I really am. I think once the swelling goes down and the
pain goes away, I'll do a whole lot better.

Posting gets me out of bed and moving around and gives me someting to
think about. So I'm here and using y'all for therapy. Please don't send
the bill, I have lousy insurance. <g>

Seriously, thanks to all of you for being here with me. I love you all.

Janet Wilder

4 Jun 2006, 20:37:5804/06/2006
RAMł wrote:

> Hang in, Janet, both "there" and with us.
>
> BTW, Welcome to the ranks of the Cancer Survivors! <VBG>

Thanks, RAM, but if I had to join something, I'd rather it would have
been Girl Scouts. <g>

Goos wishes to you.

Janet Wilder

4 Jun 2006, 20:40:2504/06/2006
Carl A. wrote:

> Janet,
>
> does this mean I go back to only one G&T/night? I really started to enjoy
> the one dedicated to Janet.
>
> Perhaps it will help the recovery if I continue for a few more weeks?

If you can spare the time, I can still use the prayers.

> Anyway, welcome back.

Thank you, Carl

> Just imagine how much Barry would miss it if you were to remain speechless
> for a while <g>.

I thought he might enjoy my not talking for a change. He doesn't. He is
doing a good job at answering the telephone and relaying messages.

Janet Wilder

4 Jun 2006, 20:44:5204/06/2006
AJ wrote:

> Hang in there... I tell people that my cancer may be the best thing
> that happened to me as it caused me to reevaluate a lot of things and
> how important they really were. You survived and tomorrow will look
> amazing. Try to look on the positive side and enjoy all the wonderful
> things in your life. I know that life is a lot sweeter for me and I
> enjoy things a lot more than I ever did in the past! Plus with RVing
> you have more fiends to play with than most people.

I am blessed with friends. With so many of them all over the continent
thinking of me and praying for me, things just have to come out right.

Don't think that I am not aware of how lucky I am even though I may
evidence a little self-pitty.

Thanks for your good thoughts.

Janet Wilder

4 Jun 2006, 20:48:0704/06/2006
Bob McNabb wrote:

Thanks, Bob. I wonder if I'll sound like a Mexcican Immigrant <vbg>

Jon Porter

4 Jun 2006, 20:52:5804/06/2006

"AJ" <alf...@att.invalid.net> wrote in message

>Plus with RVing you have more fiends to play with than most people.

You're in the right place.
--
Jon
JPinOH

Greg Surratt

4 Jun 2006, 21:24:2304/06/2006
On Sun, 4 Jun 2006 10:39:11 -0700, DonLa...@webtv.net (Don Lampson)
wrote:

She's got to be careful about that. When Dad broke his jaw years ago,
Mom took everything she cooked for her meals and put his portion in a
blender and made him a shake. He gained almost 20 lbs with his jaw
wired shut.

Thomas Marik

5 Jun 2006, 00:18:1805/06/2006
Janet Wilder wrote:

> If you can spare the time, I can still use the prayers.

Janet,

Sure we have the time. It's so good to have you back.

Our good thoughts and prayers will continue.

Tom M

Mark Jones

4 Jun 2006, 23:48:2904/06/2006
Janet Wilder wrote:
> As Hunter reported, the cancer was larger than the doctor thought. The
> left half of my tongue is gone. The tip is still there.
>
> I look like something the cat dragged in. Lips are cut up and face is
> still swollen. I can swallow small sips of liquids and there is still
> a bunch of pain when I try to swallow. Takes me an hour to finish one
> can of nutrition shake.
>
> Talking hurts. I hope that goes away. I can be understood, but I think
> the stage career is over. I won't be able to sing well, but I couldn't
> sing before the operation, either.
>
> I see the doctor in a week and he'll decide if I need speech therapy.
>
> Slept most of yesterday. They don't let you sleep in the hospital at
> all.
>
> There aren't enough words to thank all of you for your thoughts and
> prayers. I know it helped me to come through this ordeal.
>
> Love to you all
It is good to see that you have bounced back this fast. I had two
run-ins with cancer as a teenager and it took several years before
I felt like I had mostly recovered.

Hope they got everything and that you have a full recovery.

RichA

5 Jun 2006, 00:16:5605/06/2006
On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 19:14:47 -0500, Janet Wilder
<kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>RichA wrote:
>
>> Hi Janet,
>> Great to see you posting again! With your courage and determination
>> you'll be back to your old self in no time. That cancer stuff is pretty
>> traumatic, my wife had a chunk of her leg removed 20 some years ago.
>> She calls it her shark bite. The important thing is you are now on the
>> road to recovery and you are going to be just great, singing, dancing,
>> writing or whatever you want to do. You've got the right attitude so
>> it's only going to be another bump in the road of life, a big one right
>> now no doubt, but they all wear down over time :)
>>
>> Take care and Happy Campin...
>
>Thanks, Rich. I hadn't thought about it, but I can still dance!!

Hi,
And smile too, I'll bet :)

Take care and Happy Campin...

--
RichA
"We Get Too Soon Olde and Too Late Smart"

Greg Surratt

5 Jun 2006, 07:17:4705/06/2006
On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 19:36:28 -0500, Janet Wilder
<kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I'm trying. I really am. I think once the swelling goes down and the
>pain goes away, I'll do a whole lot better.
>
>Posting gets me out of bed and moving around and gives me someting to
>think about. So I'm here and using y'all for therapy. Please don't send
>the bill, I have lousy insurance. <g>
>
>Seriously, thanks to all of you for being here with me. I love you all.

Therapy is great stuff! After my heart attack last Thanksgiving, the
doctor told me to take it easy. I asked about therapy and she said I
was pretty much on my own. Somehow, the Cardio Rehab department at
the hospital found out about me and invited me into their therapy
sessions.

Light treadmill workouts twice a week with monitoring. It got me
hooked. When I finished their program, we bought a treadmill for the
house. I've put 250 miles on it since February.

We're here for ya!

Greg

L...@its.invalid

5 Jun 2006, 09:01:2705/06/2006
Janet Wilder wrote:

FYI
"Why do most people hate the sound of their recorded voice?" is part of
Parade Magazine this week,
http://www.parade.com/articles/editions/2006/edition_06-04-2006/Ask_Marilyn

Full story will be online 6/7 "Read, print and e-mail the full text of this
article on Parade.com starting Wednesday, June 7"

Lou

L...@its.invalid

5 Jun 2006, 09:03:2405/06/2006
Janet Wilder wrote:

I am impressed that you had the energy to get out of bed after 8:30PM!

You are doing well and I am very glad.

Lou

Message has been deleted

David The Hamster Malone

5 Jun 2006, 10:27:0905/06/2006

Janet Wilder wrote:

> As Hunter reported, the cancer was larger than the doctor thought. The
> left half of my tongue is gone. The tip is still there.

But you can still talk intelligibly I hear... that in itself is
wonderful. My brother is still having trouble a year after his
operation, but should do better after more reconstruction surgery.

> Talking hurts. I hope that goes away. I can be understood, but I think
> the stage career is over. I won't be able to sing well, but I couldn't
> sing before the operation, either.

Lol... "Doc, will I be able to play piano after the operation?" "Of
course..." "Great, I've always wanted to be able to play piano..."

> Slept most of yesterday. They don't let you sleep in the hospital at all.

That's the key... sleep is the great healer. Hang in there...

David "The Hamster" Malone

Janet Wilder

5 Jun 2006, 10:59:4805/06/2006
Mark Jones wrote:

> It is good to see that you have bounced back this fast. I had two
> run-ins with cancer as a teenager and it took several years before
> I felt like I had mostly recovered.
>
> Hope they got everything and that you have a full recovery.

Thanks, Mark.

RVC

5 Jun 2006, 11:21:0305/06/2006

"Janet Wilder" <kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I look like something the cat dragged in.

You're lucky---I've looked that way for years!

> Talking hurts. I hope that goes away. I can be understood, but I think
> the stage career is over. I won't be able to sing well, but I couldn't
> sing before the operation, either.

When they nuc'd me I lost my singing voice; the talking is O.K. most of the
time, but limited in volume----my wife and family are still cheering!!! :-))

I lost weight---I called it the Cancer Diet! The nutrition nazi told me they
would have to put a tube in my stomach if I kept losing weight. I told her
she'd have to catch me first since it was the only benefit that I'd found to
getting nuc'd(other than killed those damn cancer cells)! The weight came
back within six months after the termination of radiation.

> I see the doctor in a week and he'll decide if I need speech therapy.

Take it, even if he says you don't need it---might help your singing!!!

Delighted you came through with flying colors!!!

You might be damaged a little, but it beats being on the wrong side of the
turf.

RVC, USMC (Ret)

"I used to think the mind was the most wonderful organ in the body.
Then, I realized who was telling me that."

JanO...@aol.com

5 Jun 2006, 11:28:5305/06/2006
Janet Wilder wrote:
> RichA wrote:
>
> > Hi Janet,
> > Great to see you posting again! With your courage and determination
> > you'll be back to your old self in no time. That cancer stuff is pretty
> > traumatic, my wife had a chunk of her leg removed 20 some years ago.
> > She calls it her shark bite. The important thing is you are now on the
> > road to recovery and you are going to be just great, singing, dancing,
> > writing or whatever you want to do. You've got the right attitude so
> > it's only going to be another bump in the road of life, a big one right
> > now no doubt, but they all wear down over time :)
> >
> > Take care and Happy Campin...
>
> Thanks, Rich. I hadn't thought about it, but I can still dance!!
> -----------
> Janet Wilder
> The Road Princess
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dancing! Ain't that cool.

One of my favorite Sig Lines is below for you Janet. And
it sure reminds me of your great spirit.

I can tell you are gonna be just fine. Nice feeling that. Funny
how you find out a bunch of people really care about you huh?
For me it was in 2000 when I had a Heart Attack in thre middle
of the Sierra National Forest. Next thing I knew I was surrounded
by Forresthill volunteers and then real soon later by scads of
family and friends that drove a long way.

Go get life Janet. You obviously know it's there for ya!

8^)

Jan Eric Orme
"Work like you don't need the money, love like you
have never been hurt and dance like no one is watching."

Bob Giddings

5 Jun 2006, 13:49:2505/06/2006
On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 19:19:06 -0500, Janet Wilder
<kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hunter wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 10:43:24 -0500, Janet Wilder
>> <kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>>>I see the doctor in a week and he'll decide if I need speech therapy.
>>

>> Hi Janet!
>>
>> I spoke to Barry a while ago this morning.... just checking up on you.
>>
>> Glad to see you're back posting.
>>
>> I can't imagine you needing much speech therapy, when we spoke
>> yesterday you sounded a bit groggy, but your speech was clear.
>>
>> Hunter
>
>Thanks, Hunter. It seems it sounds clearer to others than it does to me.
>I did practice a little and I can call Mah Jongg tiles. Hopefully I can
>be back at playing in a few weeks.

Of course, it is possible that no one understood you before. :o)

http://www.arcatapet.net/bobgiddings

Janet Wilder

5 Jun 2006, 15:28:1605/06/2006
RVC wrote:

>>I see the doctor in a week and he'll decide if I need speech therapy.
>

> Take it, even if he says you don't need it---might help your singing!!!

I talked to my son a little while ago and he said I sound the same as I
do after a couple of margaritas.
--

-----------
Janet Wilder
The Road Princess

http://janetwilder.blogspot.com

David The Hamster Malone

5 Jun 2006, 15:39:0505/06/2006

Janet Wilder wrote:

> I talked to my son a little while ago and he said I sound the same as I
> do after a couple of margaritas.

Just thank your lucky stars you don't sound the same as I do after a
couple of margaritas...

David "The Hamster" Malone

Janet Wilder

5 Jun 2006, 15:44:5005/06/2006
Bob Giddings wrote:

Don't get cute, Giddings, or I'll cut off your pot roast rations and
tell the dog to shun you. <g>

Tom J

5 Jun 2006, 15:45:3305/06/2006
Janet Wilder wrote:

> I talked to my son a little while ago and he said I sound the same
> as
> I do after a couple of margaritas.

Gosh!! You ARE looking on the brighter side of all this!! Get well
soon!

Tom J

William Boyd

5 Jun 2006, 18:25:2005/06/2006
Janet Wilder wrote:

> RVC wrote:
>

>>> I see the doctor in a week and he'll decide if I need speech therapy.
>>

>> Take it, even if he says you don't need it---might help your singing!!!
>>

> I talked to my son a little while ago and he said I sound the same as I
> do after a couple of margaritas.

I was on pins until I got back from visiting my daughter,
grand daughters and great grand daughters. They are on AOL
and cant break in to the news group. Certainly glad to hear
you came through with good results. My daughter (the nurse)
and my grand daughters (the other two nurses), advised me
that us older people that have heard about problems with
pain medication and fear of addiction does not help our
recovery. They chewed me out good for not wanting to take
the meds. They say pain slows the healing process. So as my
girls say, take the Lortabs or what ever they prescribe with
the thought that it really helps.
BOY am I glad to get back from being so out numbered, but
you know you just have to love all those little great grand
kids.
Janet, have a Margarita on me. :-)
OR two
OR twee
;-)

--

BILL P.
Just

Hunter

5 Jun 2006, 19:13:4905/06/2006
On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 14:28:16 -0500, Janet Wilder
<kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I talked to my son a little while ago and he said I sound the same as I
>do after a couple of margaritas.

I just hope you don't act like I do after a couple of Margueritas <g>

Hunter
--

http://members.aol.com/hhamp5246/roadtrip2005.htm

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

Janet Wilder

5 Jun 2006, 19:26:0905/06/2006
William Boyd wrote:

> Janet, have a Margarita on me. :-)
> OR two
> OR twee
> ;-)

I'll have to wait until the doc gives me permission to have a drink
again. Thanks, Bill.

Frank Tabor

5 Jun 2006, 20:30:2305/06/2006
On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 18:26:09 -0500 Janet Wilder <kellie...@yahoo.com>
wrote in article <4484bf0a$0$11753$c3e...@news.astraweb.com>:

>William Boyd wrote:
>
>> Janet, have a Margarita on me. :-)
>> OR two
>> OR twee
>> ;-)
>>

>I'll have to wait until the doc gives me permission to have a drink
>again. Thanks, Bill.

Try bottles with a cork this time instead of a screw top. (-;
--
Frank Tabor

AJ

5 Jun 2006, 21:55:1605/06/2006
Greg Surratt wrote:

> She's got to be careful about that. When Dad broke his jaw years ago,
> Mom took everything she cooked for her meals and put his portion in a
> blender and made him a shake. He gained almost 20 lbs with his jaw
> wired shut.

Ya gotta watch out for that. I weighed about the same from high
school until I had chemo ( about 35 years ). The doc was real concerned
that I maintain good nutrition. He told me make sure I ate well. They
even put me on Ensure. After 2 weeks I had gained 5 pounds and over the
course of the chemo I gained 20 lbs. They did tell me I could stop the
Ensure though.
I still have not lost that weight!
--
Jim

Jon Porter

5 Jun 2006, 23:46:1605/06/2006

> RVC wrote:
>>
>>>I see the doctor in a week and he'll decide if I need speech therapy.
>>

>> Take it, even if he says you don't need it---might help your singing!!!
>>

> I talked to my son a little while ago and he said I sound the same as I do
> after a couple of margaritas.

Good! Your next goal is to get to where you sound like you had only 1
margarita.

William Boyd

6 Jun 2006, 00:13:5106/06/2006
Frank Tabor wrote:

Hay Frank! what is a Mexican cork. OR, What do you put in
your Margaritas, wine? I am not a connoisseur of Tequila,
salt or lime , BUT, Frank come on.

Janet Wilder

6 Jun 2006, 09:22:2706/06/2006
Hunter wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 14:28:16 -0500, Janet Wilder
> <kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>I talked to my son a little while ago and he said I sound the same as I
>>do after a couple of margaritas.
>

> I just hope you don't act like I do after a couple of Margueritas <g>

I dunno. How do you act? <g>

Janet Wilder

6 Jun 2006, 09:40:0906/06/2006
AJ wrote:

I was worried about that, too. I am drinking the Slim Fast diet shakes.
they have the vitamins and minerals and fiber but less calories.

Janet Wilder

6 Jun 2006, 10:07:0106/06/2006
William Boyd wrote:

I think it might have been an allusion to my love of Carlo Rossi
Burgundy in the big jug. <g>

AJ

6 Jun 2006, 10:21:4006/06/2006
Janet Wilder wrote:

> I was worried about that, too. I am drinking the Slim Fast diet shakes.
> they have the vitamins and minerals and fiber but less calories.

Great idea.. wish I had done that. Lady you are gonna do fine... I
think you have most of it figured out.

--
Jim

William Boyd

6 Jun 2006, 10:30:3706/06/2006
Well I suppose one could refill a Carlo Rossi jug with El
Tesoro de Don Felipe. Arandas. 80 Proof. and grab the salt
and bag of Kalamansi (limes) on the way out the door.

http://www.headwindow.com/tequila/

GBinNC

6 Jun 2006, 11:58:5706/06/2006
On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 09:07:01 -0500, Janet Wilder
<kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I think it might have been an allusion to my love of Carlo Rossi
>Burgundy in the big jug. <g>

You and my wife have exactly the same taste in fine wines <g>.

GB in NC

Janet Wilder

6 Jun 2006, 13:25:5306/06/2006
GBinNC wrote:

We women of class have no illusions about fancy names and bottle closures.

Alan Robinson

6 Jun 2006, 23:13:3806/06/2006

> GBinNC wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 09:07:01 -0500, Janet Wilder
>> <kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>>>I think it might have been an allusion to my love of Carlo Rossi Burgundy
>>>in the big jug. <g>
>>

>> You and my wife have exactly the same taste in fine wines <g>.
>>
>> GB in NC
>
> We women of class have no illusions about fancy names and bottle closures.

One of these days, I'm going to get a T-shirt printed up that says

"Everything I know about fine wine was printed on the box it came in"

just as a response to the 60-odd wineries that have started up locally in
the last 5-10 years. Should be a hit when they have a wine tasting, no?

Alan

Eregon

7 Jun 2006, 00:24:3007/06/2006
"Alan Robinson" <a...@bmi.net> wrote in

If you have an ink-jet printer, why not simply make one using iron-on
transfers? <G>

FWIW, one of the best-tasting wines I've found (and recommended to me by
a restraunteur) is by Franzia - a box winery - and found at the local
grocery store. <VBG>

--

Quotations from Tom Gorrell:

"A wing nut without a left or right is just a nut. Which best describes
me"
"I'm sorry about the erratic weather and must admit it's been caused by
the pinko commie Clinton & Reno supporters."
"I am hiding nothing, other than the fact that I'm homosexual."

Quotation from the Graphic Queer: "I have always advocated the death of
the human being and I see that I was right all along. This earth will be
so much better off once we are no longer part of the mix."

Janet Wilder

7 Jun 2006, 10:43:2707/06/2006
Alan Robinson wrote:

"Everything I know about fine wine was printed on the box it came in"

> just as a response to the 60-odd wineries that have started up locally in
> the last 5-10 years. Should be a hit when they have a wine tasting, no?
>
> Alan

I love it! I don't, however, care for boxed wine. Big glass jug is more
my style.

L...@its.invalid

7 Jun 2006, 11:14:2707/06/2006
Janet Wilder wrote:

Gee is wine an antiseptic??

Lou

RAMł

7 Jun 2006, 15:26:5607/06/2006
<L...@its.invalid> wrote in message news:4486ED52...@yahoo.com...

> Gee is wine an antiseptic??
>
> Lou

Lots of them TASTE like antiseptics!

Jon Porter

7 Jun 2006, 17:23:4707/06/2006

> Don't get cute, Giddings, or I'll cut off your pot roast rations and tell
> the dog to shun you. <g>

Pot roast? With potatoes, carrots and onions?

Jon Porter

7 Jun 2006, 19:35:1607/06/2006

<L...@its.invalid> wrote in message news:4486ED52...@yahoo.com...

Perhaps a mental antiseptic. But there have been studies that tout some
health benefits from wine.

Janet Wilder

7 Jun 2006, 19:55:0707/06/2006
Jon Porter wrote:

> "Janet Wilder" <kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Don't get cute, Giddings, or I'll cut off your pot roast rations and tell
>>the dog to shun you. <g>
>

> Pot roast? With potatoes, carrots and onions?

Definitely with carrots and onions. Might have been noodles on the side.
Sometimes I make noodles to hold the gravy, sometimes I make potatoes.

Bob Giddings

7 Jun 2006, 20:07:3307/06/2006
On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 18:55:07 -0500, Janet Wilder
<kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Jon Porter wrote:
>
>> "Janet Wilder" <kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Don't get cute, Giddings, or I'll cut off your pot roast rations and tell
>>>the dog to shun you. <g>
>>

>> Pot roast? With potatoes, carrots and onions?
>
>Definitely with carrots and onions. Might have been noodles on the side.
>Sometimes I make noodles to hold the gravy, sometimes I make potatoes.

mmmmmmm. I'll be good.

Bob

http://www.arcatapet.net/bobgiddings

RAMł

7 Jun 2006, 20:48:1207/06/2006
"Jon Porter" <jpo...@netwalk.com> wrote in message

> Perhaps a mental antiseptic. But there have been studies that tout some
> health benefits from wine.

Funded by wine trade associations.

Just don't buy any French products produced after 11:00 AM GMT.

Max

7 Jun 2006, 21:39:5107/06/2006

>> Janet Wilder wrote:
>>
>>> Alan Robinson wrote:
>>>
>>> "Everything I know about fine wine was printed on the box it came in"

>>> I love it! I don't, however, care for boxed wine. Big glass jug is more

>>> my style.
>>>
>>> --
>>> -----------
>>> Janet Wilder
>>> The Road Princess
>>> http://janetwilder.blogspot.com

My favorite mind altering substances are of the Muscat/Muscato/Moscatel
varieties. Muscato de Oro, Muscato de Bianco, Muscato de Asti, etc.

Max

Alan Robinson

7 Jun 2006, 21:51:5307/06/2006

> Alan Robinson wrote:
>
> "Everything I know about fine wine was printed on the box it came in"
>>
>> just as a response to the 60-odd wineries that have started up locally in
>> the last 5-10 years. Should be a hit when they have a wine tasting, no?
>>
>> Alan
>>

> I love it! I don't, however, care for boxed wine. Big glass jug is more my
> style.

The box fits on the refrigerator shelf a lot better, though <g>.

Alan

William Boyd

7 Jun 2006, 22:02:0607/06/2006
Janet Wilder wrote:
> Alan Robinson wrote:
>
> "Everything I know about fine wine was printed on the box it came in"
>

>> just as a response to the 60-odd wineries that have started up locally
>> in the last 5-10 years. Should be a hit when they have a wine tasting,
>> no?
>>
>> Alan
>>

> I love it! I don't, however, care for boxed wine. Big glass jug is more
> my style.

How about Moët & Chandon. In a bottle of course.

--

BILL P.
Just Me and Dog

Hunter

7 Jun 2006, 22:04:0707/06/2006
On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 18:51:53 -0700, "Alan Robinson" <a...@bmi.net>
wrote:

>The box fits on the refrigerator shelf a lot better, though <g>.
>
>Alan

I like box wine, because it travels so well.

The best ones are imported from Australia.

Hunter

--

http://members.aol.com/hhamp5246/roadtrip2005.htm

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

Jon Porter

7 Jun 2006, 22:05:4207/06/2006

> Jon Porter wrote:
>
>> "Janet Wilder" <kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Don't get cute, Giddings, or I'll cut off your pot roast rations and tell
>>>the dog to shun you. <g>
>>

>> Pot roast? With potatoes, carrots and onions?
>
> Definitely with carrots and onions. Might have been noodles on the side.
> Sometimes I make noodles to hold the gravy, sometimes I make potatoes.

Mom always put the potatoes into the pressure cooker with everything else,
we never had noodles with pot roast. It was the last meal that she ever
cooked for me, and one that we had often over the years. A memory for me is
smelling it cooking while listening to the pressure cooker hiss. One of
these days I'll attempt to recreate it from her recipe.

Lone Haranguer

7 Jun 2006, 22:08:2207/06/2006
Max wrote:

> My favorite mind altering substances are of the Muscat/Muscato/Moscatel
> varieties. Muscato de Oro, Muscato de Bianco, Muscato de Asti, etc.
>
> Max

Eeewwwwww! Definitely one wine I can't drink. Too sticky sweet for me.
In Spain, my neighbor's father used to give me jugs of the stuff any
time I toted something up to the pueblo for him but I always ended up
giving it away. Like the grapes though.
LZ

Max

7 Jun 2006, 22:51:1607/06/2006

"Lone Haranguer" <lin...@direcway.com> wrote in message

I have a sweet tooth, several in fact. <G>

Max

Janet Wilder

8 Jun 2006, 10:54:2408/06/2006
Alan Robinson wrote:

Alan, Alan, Alan. One *never* chills a fine red wine! I bought a
lovely crystal decanter at Marshall's and I decant the stuff from that
big jug into the decanter. When I open the bar to pour a glass, it looks
like I'm drinking some really classy stuff. I also sip my wine from a
stemmed glass specific to the color of wine.

While it's true that you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, you
can probably make a very decent Rayon purse.

Janet Wilder

8 Jun 2006, 10:56:4408/06/2006
William Boyd wrote:

My favorite is Carlo Rossi Burgundy. I also like the Austrailian Merlots
like Yellowtail, but that's for special occassions

Janet Wilder

8 Jun 2006, 11:01:3708/06/2006
Jon Porter wrote:

> Mom always put the potatoes into the pressure cooker with everything else,
> we never had noodles with pot roast. It was the last meal that she ever
> cooked for me, and one that we had often over the years. A memory for me is
> smelling it cooking while listening to the pressure cooker hiss. One of
> these days I'll attempt to recreate it from her recipe.

I grew up with pressure cookers. I always have one. One of the things we
lost in the wreck was my pressure cooker (it was in a place we couldn't
reach) and I immediately replaced it. I use it for soups and stews but I
prefer a long, slow cook for a pot roast. I use a slow cooker or crock pot.

Jon, you brought back some childhood memories of the smell of chicken
soup and the hiss of the pressure gage.

Janet Wilder

8 Jun 2006, 11:10:0008/06/2006
Max wrote:

Oh Goody! an excuse to make dessert when you visit. I love to bake but
we don't eat many carbohydrates so I'm limited to supplying our
congregation with goodies when there is a special occassion. The nice
thing about having visitors in an RV is that they have room to take the
rest of the desert with them.

At the Wilder Ranch we also offer a fine selection of after dinner wines
and cordials.

Max

8 Jun 2006, 16:50:0808/06/2006

"Janet Wilder" <kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Leftover desert? I didn't know there was such a thing.

Max

Hunter

8 Jun 2006, 17:13:5708/06/2006
On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 20:50:08 GMT, "Max"
<thesam...@sbcglobal.netnot> wrote:

>Leftover desert? I didn't know there was such a thing.
>
>Max

It's an oxymoron.

Eregon

8 Jun 2006, 19:40:1808/06/2006
Hunter <HHam...@aol.com> wrote in

> On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 20:50:08 GMT, "Max"
> <thesam...@sbcglobal.netnot> wrote:
>
>>Leftover desert? I didn't know there was such a thing.
>>
>>Max
>
> It's an oxymoron.
>
> Hunter

Like "Honest Politician"? <G>

Janet Wilder

8 Jun 2006, 20:06:2108/06/2006
Max wrote:

> Leftover desert? I didn't know there was such a thing.

I am so going to love having you as a guest! <g>

Max

8 Jun 2006, 20:29:1508/06/2006

"Eregon" <Ere...@Saphira.org> wrote in message

> Hunter <HHam...@aol.com> wrote in
>
>> On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 20:50:08 GMT, "Max"
>> <thesam...@sbcglobal.netnot> wrote:
>>
>>>Leftover desert? I didn't know there was such a thing.
>>>
>>>Max
>>
>> It's an oxymoron.
>>
>> Hunter
>
> Like "Honest Politician"? <G>

Like, "Foolproof"?

Max

Max

8 Jun 2006, 20:30:2208/06/2006

"Janet Wilder" <kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I might have to move my schedule up a little. <G>

Max

Alan Robinson

8 Jun 2006, 22:38:4708/06/2006

"Janet Wilder" <kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

If it was a fine red wine, I wouldn't chill it - but what I'm looking for is
closer to the Italian/French 'table' wine than anything else. I -don't-
swirl it around in a stemmed goblet to appreciate the complex aroma <g>.

Alan

William Boyd

8 Jun 2006, 22:45:1208/06/2006
Alan Robinson wrote:

The red wine I buy is so cheap, I guess is the reason I
chill it.

--

BILL P.
Just

Max

8 Jun 2006, 23:14:0508/06/2006

"Alan Robinson" <a...@bmi.net> wrote in message

Swirl?? All this time I thought it said, "swill".

Max

Message has been deleted

Janet Wilder

9 Jun 2006, 09:19:0109/06/2006
Max wrote:

My favorites are "jumbo shrimp" and "military intelligence"

Janet Wilder

9 Jun 2006, 09:27:2809/06/2006
Max wrote:

We hope to get up to NJ in late August. I'd like to be able to do a
little traveling in the MH. We should be home by October and you don't
want to be here much before October anyway. We have 50 amp service on
the pad, water that comes through the softener and sewer. You have to be
a good backer-upper.

Max

9 Jun 2006, 10:12:5409/06/2006

"Janet Wilder" <kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote

> We hope to get up to NJ in late August. I'd like to be able to do a little
> traveling in the MH. We should be home by October and you don't want to be
> here much before October anyway. We have 50 amp service on the pad, water
> that comes through the softener and sewer. You have to be a good
> backer-upper.
>
> --
> -----------
> Janet Wilder
> The Road Princess
> http://janetwilder.blogspot.com

Good backer-upper?? I can make Hunter look like a Newby. <G>

Max

Janet Wilder

9 Jun 2006, 12:43:1709/06/2006
Max wrote:

Then you'll be fine. Don and Joy Bradner did an awesome job when they
visited.

Hunter

9 Jun 2006, 14:09:4809/06/2006
On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 08:19:01 -0500, Janet Wilder
<kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>My favorites are "jumbo shrimp" and "military intelligence"

Mine is "short sleeve dress shirt"

Oh, and "civil war"

It's loading more messages.