Tire balancing fluids/powders

1 view

RANOVAK

Mar 13, 2001, 10:22:21 PM3/13/01
Do they work as advertised??

George Lowry

Mar 14, 2001, 2:06:44 AM3/14/01
On 14 Mar 2001 03:22:21 GMT, ran...@aol.com (RANOVAK) wrote:

>Do they work as advertised??

Yep...

Dennis Vogel

Mar 14, 2001, 10:10:53 AM3/14/01
Where can I get them?

Dennis

George Lowry

Mar 14, 2001, 1:04:31 PM3/14/01

I got the powder when I had the last tires installed on the steer axle
a couple of years ago... from the truck tire dealer... Not all
dealers seem to have it. Have to call around....

George

GS

Mar 14, 2001, 11:15:16 PM3/14/01
George Lowry wrote:

> I got the powder when I had the last tires installed on the steer axle
> a couple of years ago... from the truck tire dealer... Not all
> dealers seem to have it. Have to call around....

Anyone heard of any warranty problems with the powder? A couple of years
ago when I bought some Michelin tires for the old rig, the dealer CLAIMED
that the use of the powder invalidates Michelin's warranty.

Of course, this particular dealer said a lot of things that turned out to
be slightly less than truthful, so does anyone know the REAL facts?
--

Gary Sanders

Bait for spammers:
root@localhost
postmaster@localhost
admin@localhost
abuse@localhost
postm...@127.0.0.1

Dick Lucas

Mar 16, 2001, 11:45:12 AM3/16/01
I'll take a stab at this...

A wheel will try to rotate around its center of balance. If the wheel is
perfectly balanced, that center will be at the axle and there is no
vibration. If you put a weight on one side of the wheel, the center of
balance will move towards that weight. As a result, the opposite side of
the wheel will be further from the center of balance and the center of
rotation. This is what you have with an unbalanced wheel. The powders or
liquids will then flow to the point furthest from the center of rotation,
causing the wheel to be less unbalanced.

Dick Lucas

Jim wrote in message ...
>Thanks George,
>I can't see how this stuff will work to balance tires. I can see how
>it might dampen oscillations though. Does anyone know how this stuff
>works?
>
>--
> Jim Clark
> MAIL: Custom-Yac...@att.net
> WEB: Http://home.att.net/~Custom-Yacht-Services

>"George Lowry" <ww...@jps.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 15 Mar 2001 17:26:25 GMT, "Jim" <Unava...@ThisTime.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >OK I'll be the dummy.
>> >What are tire balancing powders and fluids?
>>

>> The powders & liquids are inserted inside the tire and are free to
>> move around as needed to compensate for out of balance conditions.
>It
>> is continuously compensating for wear etc as opposed to a fixed
>weight
>> that is correct only at the time it is installed. The Centromatic
>> wheel balancer uses the same basic concept except that it is not
>> inside of the tire. I have the powder in my steer axle tires and
>> have noticed the difference.
>>
>> Old timers have been known to put a qt of antifreeze into their
>tires
>> to act as a balancing agent - been told it works great ...
>>
>> George

Jim

Mar 16, 2001, 1:05:11 PM3/16/01
I can see how the powders try to move away from the center of rotation
due to centrifugal force. I also see the center of balance moving
toward the heavy side of the wheel. What I don't see is the center of
rotation moving away from the center of the wheel. What am I missing
here?

"Dick Lucas" <dick_...@agilent.com> wrote in message

George E. Cawthon

Mar 16, 2001, 1:54:42 PM3/16/01

Dick Lucas wrote:

> I'll take a stab at this...
>
> A wheel will try to rotate around its center of balance. If the wheel is
> perfectly balanced, that center will be at the axle and there is no
> vibration. If you put a weight on one side of the wheel, the center of
> balance will move towards that weight. As a result, the opposite side of
> the wheel will be further from the center of balance and the center of
> rotation. This is what you have with an unbalanced wheel. The powders or
> liquids will then flow to the point furthest from the center of rotation,
> causing the wheel to be less unbalanced.
>
> Dick Lucas

Since the rotation center can't move, I think that the heavy point of
the tire will in fact be the farthest away (if it can stretch at all).
In any event, the heaviest part will have the greatest centrifugal
force. That's why unbalanced tires go "whump" "whump." Or are you
telling me that when they go "whump" that is the light part of the tire
hitting the road? Actually if you draw it out I think we are saying the
same thing. The heavy part of the tire hits the road hardest. So why
doesn't the powder/liguid move to the same spot? Am I missing
something?

Pete Dumbleton

Mar 16, 2001, 11:37:46 AM3/16/01
I intuitively want to believe that the flowing stuf will go to the worst
place, not the best, like a beach towel in a washing machine. Anyone know
why it doesn't?

It must be fun first starting off every time, when gravity and centrifigal
force (or whatever) trade places, kinda like a cold polyester tire at
every stop light. Seems like it would be most effective if the tires were
rim-weight balanced first, with the flowing stuf doing the fine tuning,
and used for highway, not city.

bill horne

Mar 16, 2001, 2:51:05 PM3/16/01

I must be missing something, too.

If this stuff actually works, why do we use millions of pounds of lead
each year, and bother with balancing equipment? Why don't they just
throw a few handsful of this stuff in the tire when it's first mounted,
and be done with it?

And doesn't it all fall to the bottom of the tire when you stop for a
traffic light, and then you bump along while it redistributes itself -
until the next traffic light?

I wonder if magnets mounted in the wheel well would work? If so, one
could run their gas lines through the wheel well, and save even more
money.

--
bill

Dick Lucas

Mar 16, 2001, 3:55:11 PM3/16/01
The center of rotation will move not as much as if the wheel were completely
free, but the axle will move a bit. When this motion gets severe enough,
you get the vibration of the up and down motion of the axle transmitted to
the seat of your pants. Apparantly, this movement is sufficient for
balancing powders to work.

Young

Mar 16, 2001, 11:32:11 PM3/16/01
Dick,
If a wheel is constrained by the axle bearing no matter where the
center of balance is it will rotate about that center. The center of
mass shifts with an out of balance, and so a centrifugal rotating
force is produced by the off center mass. Now you stick some liquid in
it.

The liquid is spun to the inner face of the casing in a thin film. But
at the place where the tire is deflected in contact with the ground,
as the tire rotates to that point the liquid is forced inwards and
accelerating it inwards applies a downward force on the tire inner
face. The greater the tire deflection the greater the force. The out
of balance is not changed at all, but I suspect that the wheel hop is
reduced to the extent of the fluid acceleration force inwards. Whether
it is significant I don't know, but the mass of the liquid relative to
the out of balance would have to be quite large. That's why I believe
the centramatics use shot. But to my shame years ago I decided to buy
a pair of those shot loaded Centramatic balancing discs. In a few
months the shot had worn through the plastic casing and had shot out
so I had to take them off.

Bottom line? I think this is Voodoo science. For a device to be a
success, it just has to sound good and sell, that's it's success. In
medicine they call it the placebo effect. <G>

As for their adjusting for changes in the balance of the
wheel......Voodoo science.

Frederick

Jim

Mar 15, 2001, 12:26:25 PM3/15/01

> GS wrote in message <3AB041C8...@bigfoot.com>...

> >Anyone heard of any warranty problems with the powder? A couple of
years
> >ago when I bought some Michelin tires for the old rig, the dealer
CLAIMED
> >that the use of the powder invalidates Michelin's warranty.
> >

> Check out the Michelin Web-Site www.michelintruck.com
> Their position is that they can't test all possible powders and some
may
> cause deterioration of the tire. While they don't specifically say
that
> powders invalidate the warranty, they say "Michelin strongly urges
> custoomers to put the responsibility on the manufacturer of such
products to
> guarantee their chemical compatibility with tires and to support
their
> performance enhancement claims."
> Dick Lucas

Dick Lucas

Mar 15, 2001, 12:06:47 PM3/15/01

GS wrote in message <3AB041C8...@bigfoot.com>...

>Anyone heard of any warranty problems with the powder? A couple of years
>ago when I bought some Michelin tires for the old rig, the dealer CLAIMED
>that the use of the powder invalidates Michelin's warranty.

Check out the Michelin Web-Site www.michelintruck.com

George Lowry

Mar 15, 2001, 5:03:56 PM3/15/01
wrote:

>OK I'll be the dummy.

>What are tire balancing powders and fluids?

RANOVAK

Mar 15, 2001, 9:43:16 PM3/15/01
>Old timers have been known to put a qt of antifreeze into their tires
>to act as a balancing agent - been told it works great ...

Antfreeze is mostly ethyleneglycol which is mostly what is in one product:

http://www.ride-on.com/highspeed.htm

Ride-On TPS helps hydrodynamically balance truck tires, thus reducing tire
imbalance and vibrations that cause the tire to hop and bounce on the road.
These vibrations increase the tire's operating temperature and promote
irregular tread wear, thereby reducing the life of your tires.

From their MSDS:
Ingredient(s)
CAS Number % (by weight)

Ethylene Glycol
107-21-1 45–55

Water and other ingredients that are either:
Balance
a) Not classified by the OSHA Communication Standard to be a Hazardous, or
b) Present in concentrations less than 1% (less than .1% for carcinogens) in
this product

Jim

George E. Cawthon

Mar 15, 2001, 8:43:59 PM3/15/01

How much does the powder weight? I never could figure out how they
worked. It seemed that if you had an unbalanced tire the powder,
liquid, or whatever would just move to make it more unbalanced. You
balance the tires at the time you put them on and they stay balanced
until worn out (usually).

George Lowry

Apr 16, 2001, 5:01:15 PM4/16/01
On Fri, 16 Mar 2001 01:36:25 GMT, "Jim" <Unava...@ThisTime.com>
wrote:

>Thanks George,

>I can't see how this stuff will work to balance tires. I can see how
>it might dampen oscillations though. Does anyone know how this stuff
>works?

Just got back in town after a month on the road....

Check out the web page www.centramatic.com for an explanation of how
it works. The powder works the same way. If you ever get to an RV
show, look for the Centramatic booth and see their demonstration. I
first used the Centramatics back in the fifties.

As far as how much the powder weighs, as I remember, they used 12
ounces per tire.

George

David Osborn

Apr 16, 2001, 7:29:19 PM4/16/01
ww...@jps.net writes:

The Centramatic balancers cannot possibly do what they claim, and their ads
must be "raw hype"!

How do I know? Their Website ( http://www.centramatic.com ) uses the dreaded
phrase "Up to . . . ." If Mr. Sill's opinions are to be believed, then *any*
advertisement using that phrase is just "raw hype," and the product cannot
possibly be worth the money!

Of course, many of us have learned by now that Mr. Sill's opinions are *not* to
be taken seriously, haven't we?

- - - - -
David, N8DO; FMCA 147762
djosborn at aol dot com

FLTMR

Apr 16, 2001, 9:43:42 PM4/16/01

David Osborn <djos...@aol.commnet.net> wrote in message

Just can't resist the chance to SNIPE at Will Sill, can you, Assburn?
And every time you do, you're just emphasizing what a jerk you are. It's no
wonder that so many people find you disgusting. You bring it on yourself
with damn near every single post.

--
Fltmr

Wade

Apr 17, 2001, 12:06:58 AM4/17/01

"David Osborn" <djos...@aol.commnet.net> wrote in message

David you really should get some of this stuff up your ass for a more
balanced outlook in life.
Wade

Young

Apr 17, 2001, 5:32:01 PM4/17/01
George,
You and me too. If they want to show how this works they are going to
have to put the weights in a clear plastic tube and let me see their
distribution with a strobe light. The Centramatic website doesn't
explain how it works, it tells you how it works, and theres a big
difference. In a weak moment about 8 year ago I bought a set of
Centramatics. At that time they had a plastic tube, and they put shot
in it. I had them about 8 months, and when looking around I noticed
that one of the tubes had heated up so much that it had melted in one
area and all the shot had been "Shot" out. I removed them and resumed
my previous skeptic approach. I can think of a theoretical reason why
shot or powder or even liquid might reduce wheel hop when it is in the
tire, but these things Phew!, Voodoo engineering, along with the
ubiquitous magnets.

Frederick