snowshoe hare feet

Skip to the first unread message

rw

29 Jul 2006, 00:00:3129/07/2006
Does anyone know a good online source?

Sandy.Pi...@gmail.com

29 Jul 2006, 00:24:0729/07/2006

rw wrote:
> Does anyone know a good online source?

There used to be a place in Riverton Wyoming that
sold anything and everything with fur on it.
Can't remember the name. Maybe they're still there.

I don't get much time to hunt snowshoe rabbits anymore.
But I once did a lot of it........one of my favorite winter passtimes.
I'd hunt alone, on showshoes myself, with a 22 rifle.
It's best to go at dawn, right after fresh but light snow, and then
to head straight up to thick spruce forest at high altitude.

Any tracks you see will be fresh, if is snowed lightly last night.
You notice the tracks, scare them back into where ever they hide,
and then pretend to dissapear. Next thing you know, maybe
ten minutes later...........there they are, and ping. You have one.

Unlike jack rabbits snow shoe rabbits taste just
fine. Like great big cottontails. And you get lots of good dubbing.
And you get to spend all day long in steep, deep dark timber,
where nobody ever goes.

rw

29 Jul 2006, 01:06:5529/07/2006

I see their tracks when I'm XC skiing, but I can't wait until winter,
and the smallest caliber rifle I have is a .30-06.

bruiser

29 Jul 2006, 10:42:2729/07/2006

rw wrote:
> > I see their tracks when I'm XC skiing, but I can't wait until winter,
> and the smallest caliber rifle I have is a .30-06.

You'd probably be able to find the feet eventually (G). bruce h

rw

29 Jul 2006, 12:40:0229/07/2006
rw wrote:
> Does anyone know a good online source?

The response has been underwhelming. Where do you Usual enthusiasts get
your feet?

I found this site:

http://haresfeet.50megs.com/

The guy seems to run it as a hobby. It doesn't have any of the normal
eCommerce stuff. I've emailed him, and if I get some feet I'll let ROFF
know how it went.

Scott Seidman

29 Jul 2006, 12:58:0029/07/2006
rw <rw56_to_...@earthlink.net> wrote in news:44cb8d91$0$24180
$9a6e...@news.newshosting.com:

> The response has been underwhelming. Where do you Usual enthusiasts get
> your feet?

Local flyshop. Haven't seen many that don't stock bunny feet. I usually
have a white or cream, and a darker dun pair.

As a tip, if you pop a screwdriver between the toes, you can break the
bones and spread them out, making the foot look talon-like, and providing
great access to every hair.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

rw

29 Jul 2006, 13:08:5929/07/2006
Scott Seidman wrote:
> rw <rw56_to_...@earthlink.net> wrote in news:44cb8d91$0$24180
> $9a6e...@news.newshosting.com:
>

>>The response has been underwhelming. Where do you Usual enthusiasts get
>>your feet?
>

> Local flyshop. Haven't seen many that don't stock bunny feet. I usually
> have a white or cream, and a darker dun pair.

My local flyshop is sixty miles away, and they don't have snowshoe hare
feet.

Scott Seidman

29 Jul 2006, 13:19:0429/07/2006
rw <rw56_to_...@earthlink.net> wrote in

My buddy Andy Cooper (some have met him at one of the Penn's Claves) seems
to be in the biz these days. His page is "theflybench.com", and browse
through his product list. The bunny feet are code TFB00043. I'd go for
the Natural and the Light Dun.

Don't know much about this eshop aspect of Andy, but he's a reliable guy.
One of the best tiers I know. If he sells it, he uses it.

Scott Seidman

29 Jul 2006, 13:24:2429/07/2006
Scott Seidman <namdie...@mindspring.com> wrote in

This got me going through Andy's web page. Check out
http://www.theflybench.com/contributors/MikeMcNulty1.htm

If Peter is watching, that pig is from the Oatka Trail section. It could
have eaten the 18" fish you're stalking!

rw

29 Jul 2006, 13:29:3529/07/2006
Scott Seidman wrote:

> My buddy Andy Cooper (some have met him at one of the Penn's Claves) seems
> to be in the biz these days. His page is "theflybench.com", and browse
> through his product list. The bunny feet are code TFB00043. I'd go for
> the Natural and the Light Dun.
>
> Don't know much about this eshop aspect of Andy, but he's a reliable guy.
> One of the best tiers I know. If he sells it, he uses it.

Thanks, Scott. I'll give the guy in Labrador a chance. (He only charges
$1.00 per foot, and that might be $1.00 Canadian!) If it doesn't work
out I'll try Andy Cooper.

Tom Littleton

29 Jul 2006, 13:26:0029/07/2006
rw,
Try www.blueribbonflies.com
they should have you covered.

Walt carries some colors at www.ezflyfish.com as well....

I tend to get them from English Angling Trappings, but
they seem to be in some sort of transitional state at the moment.......
hth, Tom

Scott Seidman

29 Jul 2006, 13:37:5329/07/2006
rw <rw56_to_...@earthlink.net> wrote in news:44cb992e$0$24169
$9a6e...@news.newshosting.com:

> Thanks, Scott. I'll give the guy in Labrador a chance.

Just keep an eye on that Canuckistanian shipping. It can sneak up on you.

rw

29 Jul 2006, 13:58:3229/07/2006
rw wrote:

> Thanks, Scott. I'll give the guy in Labrador a chance.

Correction: He's in Newfoundland.

Stan Gula

29 Jul 2006, 14:23:5029/07/2006
Tom Littleton wrote:
> I tend to get them from English Angling Trappings, but
> they seem to be in some sort of transitional state at the
> moment....... hth, Tom

They have been spotty since Jim Krul sold the biz. They used to have a
great selection.

The best ones I've seen recently at the fly shows were from Blue Ribbon
Flies (always a great source of feathers and fur)

http://www.blueribbonflies.com/

I have seen more colors from other folks, usually Spirit River packaged
stuff. The feet from Blue Ribbon were larger and just all around nicer.
--
Stan Gula

Frank Reid

29 Jul 2006, 18:05:4329/07/2006

> The best ones I've seen recently at the fly shows were from Blue Ribbon
> Flies (always a great source of feathers and fur)
>
> http://www.blueribbonflies.com/

And a fun place to browse through, followed by a beer at the
microbrewery down the street.
Frank Reid

Willi

29 Jul 2006, 18:21:5729/07/2006
Stan Gula wrote:
> Tom Littleton wrote:
>
>>I tend to get them from English Angling Trappings, but
>>they seem to be in some sort of transitional state at the
>> moment....... hth, Tom
>

> They have been spotty since Jim Krul sold the biz. They used to have a
> great selection.
>
> The best ones I've seen recently at the fly shows were from Blue Ribbon
> Flies (always a great source of feathers and fur)
>
> http://www.blueribbonflies.com/

I agree that they carry excellent quality materials. They process and
grade much of their materials inhouse. They also carry some hard to find
soft hackle material.

Willi

George Cleveland

29 Jul 2006, 20:10:2029/07/2006
On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 22:00:31 -0600, rw
<rw56_to_...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Does anyone know a good online source?

I've bought from these folks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-SNOWSHOE-HARE-FEET-FLY-FISHING-LURES-FLY-TYING_W0QQitemZ7120302694QQihZ015QQcategoryZ44913QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

When I told them I used almost all white feet they sent me 10
unbleached hare's feet. Whether that is their standard policy, I don't
know. The feet were fine, a lttle less than perfect but they were
cheap at a buck a foot (I won them for $10 at auction) and I've winged
dozens of Pass Lakes and tied many Usuals and have hardly dipped into
them.

g.c.

vincent p. norris

29 Jul 2006, 21:57:5329/07/2006
>My buddy Andy Cooper........

>One of the best tiers I know.

He has posted some very good stuff on your TU web site.

vince

Wolfgang

29 Jul 2006, 22:29:4329/07/2006

Was that what you used on the Pass Lakes you fished when I was last up
there? I noticed that yours were a bit different than mine, but it
never occurred to me that you used a different material for the wings.

Wolfgang

George Cleveland

30 Jul 2006, 01:07:0030/07/2006

Yep but the main difference is that I had gotten in the habit of tying
the wing sparse. I think because I tied them trude style. Having a
thicker tapered wing butt to wind the hackle over made it more likely
for the hackle to slip over the head of the fly as I was tying off.
Now if I tied them the right way (hackle first, then wing over that) I
wouldn't have had to worry about that. Add to that the fact that I
tied most of my flies using "Magic Dub" yarn, which contrary to its
advertising, does not work well for dry flies (i.e. it sinks like a
rock), and you have a recipe for second rate Pass Lakes. My new ones
have a much fuller wing and a chenille body like God intended them to
have. I even tie them with the hackle behind the wing (some of them at
least).

g.c.

Scott Seidman

31 Jul 2006, 08:50:4331/07/2006
vincent p. norris <vp...@psu.edu> wrote in

> He has posted some very good stuff on your TU web site.
>
> vince

He sent some little tiny (size 18 and below, I think) woven nymphs to Boyd
Pfeffer, who had a column in one the the rags called "Strange Stuff" or
something like that, and Boyd published them.

Andy's also one of the best fishermen I know. Mike Makela's seen him in
action. Andy took me out one day specifically to bring me up to speed with
nymphing. I'm certainly no great nympher now, but I'm certainly not afraid
to tie on a nymph and leave it on, and I catch more fish now than I did
before Andy's lesson.

William Claspy

31 Jul 2006, 09:17:0931/07/2006
On 7/31/06 8:50 AM, in article
Xns981159FB02A6Bsc...@130.133.1.4, "Scott Seidman"
<namdie...@mindspring.com> wrote:

I keep wanting to do that with someone at a clave and it hasn't happened. I
catch fish on the nymph, but it the least comfortable method of fishing for
me.

Bill

Scott Seidman

31 Jul 2006, 09:33:2531/07/2006
William Claspy <NOwp...@cwru.edu> wrote in

My advice--if you really want to learn the technique-- is to go to the
nymph a few times under perfect conditions, then force yourself to the
nymph in all cases except where a dry fly is perfect.

For example, if you see a very sporadic riser, like every 15 minutes or
so, and you just can't take it with a dry, tie on a nymph and thank the
fish for telling you where she is so you can take it was a very potent
technique without prospecting.

Use an indicator, at least until you've got things down well enough that
you want to abandon it.

Make sure you know how to get a dead drift, and how you need to mend to
get it. A powerful indicator is motion of the end of the line with
respect to the bobber.

Make sure you're deep enough, but not too deep. You should be ticking
bottom every now and again, and you'll lose plenty of flies on the
bottom. Good nymphing is hard work, and you'll always be messing around
with the indicator, fly, split shot positions until you get it right.
Then, you'll wade a bit, and have to go through it all again. Pick a
strike indicator that's easy to move around. If you want an easy
technique, go to a wet fly!

Set the hook, even if you just have a feeling that there might have been
a take.

If you're not successful, and you think you should be, go down a tippet
size. This isn't for visibility, but to enhance a dead drift. The
thinner the tippet, the less the current will have its way with your fly.

If you're feeling adventurous, tie a second fly about 18" off the hook
bend of the first fly. You'll double the chance of the fly being in the
right place (as well as the chances of really snarling things up should
you actually catch a fish). I like using a beadhead as my top fly, and
the same fly as a nonbeadhead as my trailer.

After you pop a few fish in this situation, you'll have more confidence.
When this starts to happen, you'll find yourself holding onto dry flies
for just when the hatch is really going--or maybe not even then. I know
one guy who just loves taking fish with scuds

William Claspy

31 Jul 2006, 09:53:5231/07/2006
On 7/31/06 9:33 AM, in article
Xns98116137E14E5sc...@130.133.1.4, "Scott Seidman"
<namdie...@mindspring.com> wrote:

Thanks for the pointers Scott, but could you repeat the above while standing
next to me on a stream somewhere between Rochester and Cleveland? :-)

I wouldn't call myself a beginner, and have heard most of the above advise
before, it's just a matter of following your very first point. I'm a
creature of habit!

I have been fishing wet flies quite a bit this season, and am enjoying it
thoroughly. Although the last month or so has been exclusively poppers and
warm water :-)

Bill

Wayne Knight

31 Jul 2006, 14:22:2531/07/2006

William Claspy wrote:

> I keep wanting to do that with someone at a clave and it hasn't happened. I
> catch fish on the nymph, but it the least comfortable method of fishing for
> me.

Grasshopper, you need a pom-pom

William Claspy

31 Jul 2006, 14:50:5131/07/2006
On 7/31/06 2:22 PM, in article
1154370145....@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com, "Wayne Knight"
<wrkn...@comcast.net> wrote:

Not as much as I need a cheerleader.

William Claspy

31 Jul 2006, 14:56:4631/07/2006
On 7/31/06 2:22 PM, in article
1154370145....@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com, "Wayne Knight"
<wrkn...@comcast.net> wrote:

Tell you what. You rig up a pom-pom come September and I'll give it a go.

As long as you rig it up on one of them there cane rods of yours. :-)

Bill

Scott Seidman

31 Jul 2006, 15:00:1231/07/2006
William Claspy <NOwp...@cwru.edu> wrote in

And there I was thinking that if we could make this cheerleader thing
happen, that ohio/ny trip could happen post-haste!

Wayne Harrison

31 Jul 2006, 15:04:3931/07/2006

"William Claspy" <NOwp...@cwru.edu> wrote

hilarious, and many would agree.

yfitons
wayno

Tim J.

31 Jul 2006, 16:34:3031/07/2006
William Claspy typed:

Now *that's* funny!
--
TL,
Tim

Wayne Knight

31 Jul 2006, 16:38:3731/07/2006

William Claspy wrote:

> You rig up a pom-pom come September and I'll give it a go.

Okie dokie

> As long as you rig it up on one of them there cane rods of yours. :-)

You stand a better chance of making it with whatever passes for a CWU
cheerleader than using a nymph and indicator on one of my cane rods. ;)

William Claspy

31 Jul 2006, 16:49:3631/07/2006
On 7/31/06 4:38 PM, in article
1154378317.6...@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com, "Wayne Knight"
<wrkn...@comcast.net> wrote:

> than using a nymph and indicator on one of my cane rods. ;)

I'll be sure to bring a selection of Catskill dries, my tweed jacket and
briar root pipe then.

And wicker creel! Almost forgot! :-)

Trying to fight frivolity,
Bill

rw

31 Jul 2006, 17:07:5731/07/2006

I had a wicker creel when I was a kid. It seemed like you HAD to have
one to be a real fly fisherman.

About only thing I ever put in it was Mr. Grant's fish (so he could
catch two limits -- he was an expert with the salmon egg -- the ones
that come in bottles). I stupidly insisted on fishing with flies.

But one day I filled it with netted crayfish. That was one amazing
crayfish hatch, or spawn, or whatever it was. I've never seen the like
since.

Gene Cottrell

31 Jul 2006, 17:03:5031/07/2006

"Wayne Harrison" <wa...@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
I once knew a cheerleader that was a nymph - does that count?

Gene

Frank Reid

2 Aug 2006, 12:07:4802/08/2006
> I keep wanting to do that with someone at a clave and it hasn't happened. I
> catch fish on the nymph, but it the least comfortable method of fishing for
> me.

The two best nymphers (IMHO) that I've fished with in this group are
LaCourse and Makela. As a sub-group of this, try getting a lesson on
wet flies from Tom Littleton.
(if you want to see Makela cry, tell him "there are no stoneflies in
this water").

Frank Reid

William Claspy

2 Aug 2006, 12:17:2002/08/2006
On 8/2/06 12:07 PM, in article
1154534868.3...@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com, "Frank Reid"
<reid_f...@hotmail.com> wrote:

I've always wanted to see Makela cry, so thanks for that tip! :-)

Those were (some of) the guys on my list.

I actually spent part of an afternoon watching Tom work some wets (or
perhaps they were soft-hackles, same thing, no?) on a stretch of Penns
between 3-S-S and the trestle. Got some good pointers, though it wasn't a
formal lesson. Roger was there too. That's who I think of when I try to
improve my casting distance. The guy is a freak of nature. :-)

Come to think of it, you were there as well if I remember correctly! You,
of course, are also a freak of nature. Don't want you to feel left out.

Bill

rw

2 Aug 2006, 14:08:4702/08/2006
Frank Reid wrote:
>>I keep wanting to do that with someone at a clave and it hasn't happened. I
>>catch fish on the nymph, but it the least comfortable method of fishing for
>>me.
>

> The two best nymphers (IMHO) that I've fished with in this group are
> LaCourse and Makela.

I take it you've never nymphed with Willi or Bruiser.

Mr. Opus McDopus

2 Aug 2006, 17:47:0802/08/2006

"rw" <rw56_to_...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Frank Reid wrote:
>>>I keep wanting to do that with someone at a clave and it hasn't happened.
>>>catch fish on the nymph, but it the least comfortable method of fishing
>>>for
>>>me.
>>

>> The two best nymphers (IMHO) that I've fished with in this group are
>> LaCourse and Makela.
>
> I take it you've never nymphed with Willi or Bruiser.

I bet he's never fished with Jim Quick either!

Op

jeff

2 Aug 2006, 21:05:0402/08/2006
William Claspy wrote:

jeezus...you were there too?

jeff

2 Aug 2006, 21:25:1702/08/2006
jeff wrote:

and...uh...can you wear bright orange in september? i don't want to
miss you again. <g>

jeff

William Claspy

3 Aug 2006, 08:45:5403/08/2006
On 8/2/06 9:05 PM, in article 4ZbAg.1660$W01.964@dukeread08, "jeff"
<jl...@mindspring.com> wrote:

It's sort of like Woodstock.

:-)

Bill

William Claspy

3 Aug 2006, 08:49:3603/08/2006
On 8/2/06 9:25 PM, in article 2gcAg.1664$W01.21@dukeread08, "jeff"
<jl...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> and...uh...can you wear bright orange in september? i don't want to
> miss you again. <g>

I thought it was just Knight who was bringing shootin' irons?

I'll be the quiet lad in camp with a book in front of his face. Can't miss
me.

Bill

Tom Littleton

4 Aug 2006, 19:59:0604/08/2006

"William Claspy" <NOwp...@cwru.edu
> wrote in message news:C0F76842.119F2%you were there too?

> It's sort of like Woodstock.
>
> :-)

right you are, Bill......
Tom
....who now realizes, that if I draw this sort of a throng,
perhaps I could charge money for this stuff.....

Ken Fortenberry

4 Aug 2006, 20:14:2504/08/2006
Tom Littleton wrote:

> ....who now realizes, that if I draw this sort of a throng,
> perhaps I could charge money for this stuff.....

Hell, you'd have to pay *ME* to look at your sorry
arse in a thong.

Oh ... you said throng ... never mind.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Wolfgang

4 Aug 2006, 22:58:5904/08/2006

Hee, hee, hee.

He said "arse."

Hee, hee, hee.

Wolfgang

Cornmuse

15 Aug 2006, 17:53:5215/08/2006
My favorite supplier of fur and feather materials is Coffin Creek Furs -
you'll find them right here - http://www.flytyingfurs.com/

Excellent people to do business with. I highly recommend them. If you
don't see what you want on-line, send and email. Chances are they have what
you are looking for.

--
Joseph D. Cornwall
http://www.flyfishohio.com