Waterproofing with silicone

1 view

sac...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/13/98
Has anyone tried using shoe/boot waterproofer to waterproof flies? I had some
silicone boot waterproofer around so I gave it a try on a few flies and it
seems to work fine. This is the pale yellow stuff that comes in a 4 ounce
jar with an applicator for about $2.50 USD. The flies I tried it on turned
dark for a while, but seem to have returned to their normal color after
drying. I guess time will tell if the materials are harmed. I have heard of
using other silicone based waterproofers and even scotchguard, but never this
seemingly effective and inexpensive option.

Thanks,

Steve

LRFLYSHOP

Oct 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/14/98
Ther is a new product called Water Shed that is supposed to be a permanent
water proofing chemical. Takes 24 hrs. to be absorbed into the materials, then
off to the river. A bottle costs around 3.50.

tterc-l...@juno.com

Mr. G

Oct 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/15/98
to LRFLYSHOP

_______ AN OPEN DISCUSSION WITH L.R. -_________ As an expert in the field of dressings, I would advise everyone not to
ever use ANY Silicone product that is in either paste or liquid form on ANY fly
fishing equipment such as flies, lines, backing, or  leaders.

Why?  SILICONE ABSORBS 10% of its WEIGHT IN WATER.

It is the nature of the beast  - but  do what you think is best for you.

If you want the World's Best Dry Fly Dressing, consider continuing with
Gehrke's Gink.  I should mention L.R. that logic only dictates that 'A Fly'
will not last all day and that I can assure you OUR LAB TESTS prove that
Silicone is NOT a permanent dry fly dressing.  Why?  Because SILICONE
becomes WET!

Secondly, WHY WAIT for 24 Hours?  For advantages that are most
suspect?

I could bet money L.R. that this new product is nothing more than another
plagiarized product from another industrial source being  repackaged as a
moderately workable product upon the fly fishing scene and that it is NOT
an "Original Invention" like GEHRKE'S GINK Is.

Frankly, I would like to get a sample and test it completely.  I will not only
know the facts when I get done, I will know the fiction involved and
I will probably be able to identify the true ingredients and determine if
it is as expensive to make as GINK or if it is just a watered down product.

Gehrke's Gink was invented by a fly fisherman FOR fly fishermen.  Are
they saying to you that THEY 'invented'  this?

What I'm saying is I very much doubt there are any sound bases for
abandoning the dry fly dressing that you're presently using.  Why try
and fix something when it isn't broke? Naturally, this
is a free country.  I just think you should have my
opinion on the issue, regarding "Anything Silicone" in liquid or paste
forms.

As a WARNING, you should ask yourself what is being used
"AS A SOLVENT" to put Silicone into suspension?  Or, what
the medium is?  The medium could be just plain water, for all
anyone knows.  What scents are left behind regarding trace
elements after the carrier evaporates needs to be known.
That it will take 24 HOURS (!) to get rid of it  - or dry,  is
ludicous &  (as an engineer) I have to tell you, sets off
all kinds of Warning Signals in my mind.

Consider the fact that I'll bet there are no medical supervision or
sources a doctor could get to (quickly) in the event a pet or a
child (I have my priorities correct, right?) should eat or drink it?
( a little joke there)

THIS is serious business.  Did you know that GEHRKE'S is the
only Dressing Manufacturing Company in the business that lists
its products with Poison Centers?  Our products aren't poisonous,
but how do you know this new one isn't dangerous?  Or that the makers/mixers
are responsible?  We have always been the first in the industry to
be responsible regarding what people put on their fingers or what
might be accidentally ingested.  Accidents happen.  There are
people that are allergic to fresh air.  You never know.  So be
wary and responsible and knowledgeable when it comes to
carrying any new dressing type of product you offer innocent
customers..

We have been in business for 25 years L.R. and we have a
responsible, proven, track record.  For twenty five years
the chemical minds have been trying to out perform
Gehrke's Gink.  I was there for you twenty five years ago
as the World's Best and I'll bet, twenty five years from now
my son will be there for every body.

I  don't want anyone getting hurt in this industry.
 There are more dangerous new dressing concepts out there
then anything else.  Every year they pop up.   Dressings
have killed people.  This is a serious business.  I just want you
to know the facts and your options L.R.

I don't want anyone hurt.

Be careful.  Very careful.

Sincerely,

Mr. G.

Mr. G

Oct 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/15/98
to Hans van der Stroom
_______ Hans, I didn't realize. Of course you are right.
I stand corrected. Sometimes all of us are asses and we
need friends to point that out when it happens.
It won't happen again.

Now then, what the hell were we talking about? Fly
Tying, wasn't it? Without flamers interrupting us or
lying to you and I?

Let us start over.

You're first.

Again, I'm sorry. I wouldn't use Gink again either
if I was you. How about Xink? Is that a safe bet yet?

I don't want to lose your friendship.

Seriously,

George

(boy, sometimes I can be so dumb)

Mr. G

Oct 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/15/98
to Hans van der Stroom

Let us start over.

You're first.

Seriously,

George

(boy, sometimes I can be so dumb Hans)

Hans van der Stroom

Oct 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/16/98
I hereby make this statement:
Allthough this product G.... is in my opinion very good, I will never ever
use it anymore! I myself (and I suppose there must be others) am getting so
very, very sick about you constantly misbehaving and whining. Using this
G.... of yours will ruïn my future fishing-days: by seeïng the bottle bad
memories about your reactions in the last two weeks will come up. BTW: not
using your lovechild anymore isn't that kinda loss: there are others,
probably just as good. And their manufacturers don't bother me that much as
you're doïng to all of us right now.
Find yourself a good therapist.
Stick it in your ass "Mr. G", ever heard about: "seeïng the mote in one's
brother's eye and not the beam in one's own"'?

Hans van der Stroom

Bill D.

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
While I have no doubts about your product, I would like to see some
validation of your statement that: " Dressings have killed people. This

is a serious business. I just want you to know the facts and your
options L.R. ".

Bill

Mr. G

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98

Bill D. wrote:

> While I have no doubts about your product, I would like to see some

> validation of your statement that: " Dressings have killed people. This

> is a serious business. I just want you to know the facts and your

> options L.R. ".

_______ I have already told you about the autopsy on one of my old friends
that used to use carbontet to dissolve animal fats with in order to float a
dry fly. What more proof do you need? To look up a report that is nearly
30 years old somewhere way back in the State of Colorado?

I think, if you send out a basic query to the older gentry of this lot of
gentlemen, 'some' may recall how they remember 'so and so' dropping over
dead while fly fishing, for no apparent reason. These individuals may or
may not have died of just a heart attack which was always assumed, but I can
tell you there are many reported to have died and in their pockets/vests or
immediate vicinity (boat/bank, etc.) was a bottle of home-brewed dry fly
dressing diluted with carbon tetra chloride.

But! For the sake of argument with an agnostic (which doesn't make you a
bad guy) that we DID invent a safe, commercial dry fly dressing that
eliminates the deadly chemical, carbon tet, out of you/our lives is excuse
enough.

I just happen to know what motivated me to do so and that reason is carbon
tetrachloride is an insidious, silent killer.

I have exterminated it from fly fishing. I'm glad you're around to use it,
if you choose.

Mr. Gink

Bill D.

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
Don't know why you refer to me as an agnostic.

I guess I am relatively new to flyfishing, didn't start seriously until
1950. So I will probably have a problem finding very many "old-timers"
that have a better memory than mine.

Never heard of anyone dropping dead except from heart problems, etc.

Those sudden unexplained dead fisherman probably also had flies, line
dressing, leader material, etc in their possession also. How many used
carbon tet that didn't die ???

Used carbon tet a LOT while working as a machinist for about a year as
did everyone else who was machining, drilling, etc. Nobody dropped dead
then either.

One autopsy 30 years ago in Colorado sure as doesn't make the case that
carbon tet is a "killer".

So I guess you can call me a skeptic, heretic, sinner or whatever.

Bill

Mr. G wrote:

> Bill D. wrote:
>
> > While I have no doubts about your product, I would like to see some

> > validation of your statement that: " Dressings have killed people. This

> > is a serious business. I just want you to know the facts and your

Thomas Fournier

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
Mr. G wrote:
SNIP
> . . . we DID invent a safe, commercial dry fly dressing that

> eliminates the deadly chemical, carbon tet, out of you/our lives is
> excuse enough.
>
> I just happen to know what motivated me to do so and that reason is
> carbon tetrachloride is an insidious, silent killer.
SNIP

Actually, it is hard to find retail products that still contain carbon
tetrachloride. It has been eliminated from a whole host of products, so
Gearge's elimination of it, while laudible, is hardly unique.

Keep your stick on the ice,

Thos.

Ernie Harrison

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
Bill, I joined the U.S. Navy in 1949 and was exposed to carbon tet during
the next four years. We used it to clean radio transmitter parts. It came
in quart bottles and we had our hands in it and breathed the fumes. I did
not like the smell and you could almost feel it penetrate your skin. I
have no doubt that it was a killer and I am happy that it is no longer
used. The dry cleaning industry used it to clean clothes because it was
non flammable. It's like the old song said about smoking cigarettes "I've
smoked them all my life and I ain't dead yet". I bought my first fly rod
in 1948 which was bamboo and the line was silkworm gut. The best
improvement in fly fishing has been the wonderful floating lines.
--
Ernie Harrison
Want To Tie Tapered leaders?

Bill D. <bil...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
<362C428A...@ix.netcom.com>...

LRFLYSHOP

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
For the sake of arguement, there were no people out there using head cement to
finish up their flies that omitted carbon base flammable toxic fumes. Huh,
maybe it wasn't the floatant after all. Then again, all of the insect
repellants that were around had traces of the banned chemicals in DDT. No your
right, it had to be from the silicone in the fly floatant that killed them all.

Mr. G

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98

LRFLYSHOP wrote:

________ The most pleasure I have in my life is that you're still around here
fishing L.R.

Sincerely,

Mr. G.

--
George Gehrke's Gink & Outdoor Products
Snake River - Hell's Canyon

Mike Norris Jr.

Oct 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/27/98
Hey guys how about getting back to the original reason for this post if
anybody remembers what exactly that is about 20 or so replys ago. oh yeah
can you use the boot sealer as a fly floatant. I don't remember seeing
anything about carbon tet in that post. Stick to the subject I just read a
whole bunch of posts for know reason if you want to talk about this other
stuff then don't reply to this post start a new thread that is why the
subject line says "WATERPROOFING WITH SILCONE" AND NOT "CARBON TET THE
SILENT KILLER".