Research on the S.C.A.

1 view

Aeslynne

Jul 20, 2002, 3:29:38 PM7/20/02
Good Day

I am currently working on a research paper about the S.C.A. for an
undergraduate course. I would like to include a section on personal
feelings and opinions about the S.C.A. I would appreciate help from anyone
who would be willing to answer the following questions.

-- Please identify what kingdom or barony you belong to.
-- How and why did you become involved with the S.C.A.
-- Why have you remained involved in the S.C.A.
-- How long have you been involved or been a member of the S.C.A.
-- What do you normally like to do in the S.C.A.

Thank you

Drew Nicholson

Jul 20, 2002, 7:49:51 PM7/20/02
how do you want this information? Emailed to you?

"Aeslynne" <Aesl...@hawaii.rr.com> wrote in message

Zathras of the Great Machine

Jul 21, 2002, 9:30:43 AM7/21/02
Drew Nicholson wrote:

> how do you want this information? Emailed to you?

Heck, post it here. Why miss the chance to begin another rambling,
convoluted thread ;-)

culann, of the Tuatha de Taibhreamh
Bard's Haven Camp

Drew Nicholson

Jul 21, 2002, 9:54:28 AM7/21/02
Well, the though had crossed my mind.

"Zathras of the Great Machine" <zat...@raex.com> wrote in message

Chris Zakes

Jul 21, 2002, 12:05:05 PM7/21/02
On Sat, 20 Jul 2002 19:29:38 GMT, "Aeslynne" <Aesl...@hawaii.rr.com>
wrote:

>Good Day
>
>I am currently working on a research paper about the S.C.A. for an
>undergraduate course. I would like to include a section on personal
>feelings and opinions about the S.C.A. I would appreciate help from anyone
>who would be willing to answer the following questions.
>
>-- Please identify what kingdom or barony you belong to.

Bryn Gwlad, Ansteorra

>-- How and why did you become involved with the S.C.A.

I first met the SCA over the point of a sword. Literally.

This was in March of 1975; my residential college at Rice University
in Houston was having its annual Shakespeare Fair, and one of the
College officers had a sister who was in the SCA, so they were invited
out to add some color. At that time I was in the Rice Fencing Club,
and the rather battered rattan-and-duct tape swords the SCA was using
looked awfully big and clunky to me, so I didn't go over and check
them out.

I *had* planned a choreographed duel with a friend from the fencing
club, so I was wearing a sort of a costume and carrying a sword. After
the duel, I was wandering around the fair when I ran across another
guy from the fencing club. He challenged me, and I managed to beat
him. I had just stepped back and half-jokingly said "Next?" when this
short, red-haired fellow, wearing what looked like a rusty pine cone
suit said "I'll fight you, what are your weapons?" I was carrying a
fencing saber and had a costume dagger on my belt, so, straight out of
"Hamlet", I said "rapier and dagger."

We fought for a minute or two, and I quickly realized that while my
saber was quite a bit faster than his weapon, the blade was so
flexible that he couldn't feel my touches through his scale armor. I
went ahead and let him hit me and ended up on my back in a mud puddle.

*That* was my introduction to the SCA.

About seven months later I actually went to a tournament, and was
hooked. I can recall just sitting at home and grinning for several
hours afterwards. I've been playing ever since.

(Oh, yes, the fellow with whom I had the choreographed duel also
joined the SCA, a year or two after I did. He is now known as Robin of
Gilwell, Pelican, White Scarf, Court Baron and frequent Rialto poster;
my opponent in the scale armor was Lloyd von Eaker, second king of
Ansteorra and one of its first dukes.)

>-- Why have you remained involved in the S.C.A.

Well, to quote Robert Heinlein, "It beats the hell out of card games."
<G> Like many other SCA-folk, I've been reading fantasy for most of my
life, and the SCA gives me an opportunity to actually *live* some of
that neat stuff rather than just read about it. I've been interested
in Shakespeare since I first read "Julius Ceasar" in 7th grade, and
the SCA gives me a chance to live some of that, too.

Also, I met and married my wife here, and most of my friends are here.
Why should I leave?

>-- How long have you been involved or been a member of the S.C.A.

Since Thanksgiving weekend, 1975 (AS 10.)

>-- What do you normally like to do in the S.C.A.

Just about anything having to do with rapier fighting--the fighting
itself, marshalling, research into historic techniques, teaching, etc.
I also marshal armored combat and dabble in costuming, leather, metal
and wood working.

-Tivar Moondragon
Ansteorra

"The guitar's all right as a hobby, John, but you'll
never make a living at it."

-Julia Lennon to her son John

Angelia Sparrow

Jul 21, 2002, 2:40:17 PM7/21/02

"Aeslynne" <Aesl...@hawaii.rr.com> wrote in message
> Good Day
> -- Please identify what kingdom or barony you belong to.

Currently Grey Niche in Meridies.

> -- How and why did you become involved with the S.C.A.

A girldfriend's family took me out to an event as a birthday gift.
I loved it. I was 16. We later formed the core of what would be known as
"The Forgotten Sea Girls Scouts."

> -- Why have you remained involved in the S.C.A.

Currently, I'm in an off phase. I want to get everyone potty trained and
verbal before we return to active life. Right now I read the Rialto and the
baronial newsletter and that's it. I may make one event a year.

I enjoy the research, the costuming, learning new skills, and not being
considered a whackado.

> -- How long have you been involved or been a member of the S.C.A.

Off and on for 19 years.
During active phases I've been a founding member of a shire, Calanais-nuadh
in Calontir, run a costume booth, taught classes, and learned a lot.
During down phases, I just read widely.

> -- What do you normally like to do in the S.C.A.

I like to cook, teach, embroider, and learn.
I'm no good at archery and court bores me stiff.

Angel,
aka Lady Aethelynde Thorvaldsdottir

Susan Carroll-Clark

Jul 21, 2002, 3:07:58 PM7/21/02
Greetings--

> > -- Please identify what kingdom or barony you belong to.

I currently live in the Marche of Tirnewydd, in the Barony Middle Marches,
in the Middle Kingdom. I spent the first nine years of my SCA life in the
Canton of Eoforwic, Barony of Septentria, in what was initially the
Principality of Ealdormere and is now the Kingdom of Ealdormere.

> > -- How and why did you become involved with the S.C.A.

When I moved to Toronto for graduate school, I knew no one. I ran across
the SCA at a demo and met some really cool people. I was not unaware of the
SCA, but the one group I had run into before was very large and notoriously
hard for new folks to break into. This group was different--it took only a
couple of meetings for me to start feeling like part of the group. Eoforwic
was also very interested in history and research and having fun with
applying it, which is another reason I stuck around.

> > -- Why have you remained involved in the S.C.A.

It feeds the creative part of my brain. I've always been a craft junkie
since I was very small, and I just like making stuff and hanging out with
other people who make stuff. I love history (got a PhD in it, but I work at
a bank now) and it allows me to continue to follow that particular passion
and share it with others. I also get to write and be an editor
regularly--again, things I love to do. And, of course, there are the
friendships. Can't forget those...

> > -- How long have you been involved or been a member of the S.C.A.

It'll be twelve years this coming October.

> > -- What do you normally like to do in the S.C.A.

Research, costuming, calligraphy and illumination, some pewter casting,
occasional embroidery, netting, writing and editing (I've served as
Chronicler at several levels, work on the newspaper at Pennsic, and
currently edit Tournaments Illuminated), teaching (any of the above things),
and archery.

Nicolaa

Jay and Diane Rudin

Jul 21, 2002, 4:17:04 PM7/21/02
Aeslynne asked:

> -- Please identify what kingdom or barony you belong to.

Barony of the Steppes, Kingdom of Ansteorra

> -- How and why did you become involved with the S.C.A.

The immediate answer: I came in to fence, drink, sing dirty songs, and enjoy
the spathic view.

I stayed because modern fencing didn't ever really scratch the itch I felt.
While the SCA has any number of flaws, it's always been the only place to
scratch that itch. It combines the joys I found in fencing, theater,
Tolkien, fantasy novels in general, swashbuckling movies, comic books,
Shakespeare, and Guy Williams' Zorro. (No, I didn't come here for history.
I learned my love of history in the SCA. This is, in my opinion, the most
important thing the SCA does -- let geeks like me play at fun activities
until a love of history is born.)

> -- Why have you remained involved in the S.C.A.

To be Robin of Gilwell -- that strange visitor from another time who came to
Ansteorra with powers and abilities far different from those of modern men.
Robin -- who can change the course of bardic circles, bear steel in his good
right hand, and who, disguised as Jay Rudin, mild-mannered lecturer for a
great metropolitan university, fights the never-ending battle for Truth,
Honor, and the Ansteorran way.

> -- How long have you been involved or been a member of the S.C.A.

Roughly a quarter of a century.

> -- What do you normally like to do in the S.C.A.

Teach, fence, perform (mostly poetry), fight, be a herald, accept ridiculous
challenges, help out my friends, and pontificate, in roughly that order.
(Note: yes, I like to learn and read. But I don't do that in the SCA; I do
that at home. Neither research nor poetry writing are activities done in
the SCA. They are done at home in support of the SCA.)

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin

Susan Carroll-Clark

Jul 21, 2002, 4:30:13 PM7/21/02
Greetings--

> (Note: yes, I like to learn and read. But I don't do that in the SCA; I
do
> that at home. Neither research nor poetry writing are activities done in
> the SCA. They are done at home in support of the SCA.)

When you get down to it, there are quite a few of the activities that I do
that would fall into that last category. Making clothing, for example.
While I have occasionally stitched on a garment at an event, most of what
I've done has been at home. I wear the results to events. Same thing goes
for calligraphy and illumination--yes, I've found myself in a scribe's room
working on last-minute scrolls, but again, most of it has been done away
from the SCA. Same thing goes for working on newsletters.

On the other hand, I have done quite a lot of learning within an SCA
context. People have shown me how to make stuff, or how to do a dance, or
something about a particular period or persona. To me, there are many ways
to learn--reading a book or doing research is only one of them.

Nicolaa

Drew Nicholson

Jul 21, 2002, 6:37:51 PM7/21/02
"Susan Carroll-Clark" <nicola...@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message

I dunno. I do a LOT of writing IN the SCA. Perhaps it's having a laurel
who likes to give quests.

Greycat Sharpclaw

Jul 21, 2002, 8:05:36 PM7/21/02
There is an allegation that "Aeslynne" <Aesl...@hawaii.rr.com> wrote:

>-- Please identify what kingdom or barony you belong to.

Barony of Settmour Swamp; Kingdom of the East.

>-- How and why did you become involved with the S.C.A.

A chapter was forming at the college I was attending (WPI). At the
time I was into fantasy and dark-ages literature, so I gave it a try.
It didn't hurt that a bunch of friends (from FRP gaming) also were
joining.

>-- Why have you remained involved in the S.C.A.

Various reasons, actually, though there have been significant gaps in
my participation. The main two reasons I'm still around are (1) I am
still interested in medieval culture (broadly defined), and I am among
my peers here more than in any other recreational activity.

>-- How long have you been involved or been a member of the S.C.A.

Since 1977, with some gaps.

>-- What do you normally like to do in the S.C.A.

Board games, learning interesting stuff.

>Thank you

You're welcome.

------
Emrys Cador
Barony of Settmour Swamp
East Kingdom

Remove "nospam" in the address to reply

Drew Nicholson

Jul 21, 2002, 8:35:16 PM7/21/02
Well, pending no response to my question, I'll simply post here.

> -- Please identify what kingdom or barony you belong to.

The Ancient and Honorable Province of Tree-Girt-Sea, in the MidRealm.
Tree-Girt-Sea is the only Province in the Middle Kingdom, and is (depending
on who you talk to) the founding group of the Kingdom.

> -- How and why did you become involved with the S.C.A.

My girl friend at the time was dating a girl who was in the SCA. You figure
it out.

> -- Why have you remained involved in the S.C.A.

To me, the SCA is like a church, without the religious aspects. It is my
community. Though it has not always been fun or enjoyable, it is my place.

> -- How long have you been involved or been a member of the S.C.A.

13 years.

> -- What do you normally like to do in the S.C.A.

Court Herald, Attend Royalty, rapier combat, rapier marshal, heavy combat,
make cordials, write songs, write poetry, run events, discuss rules, drink,
eat, and most importantly, raise my son.

Kat & Kent

Jul 21, 2002, 11:40:17 PM7/21/02
Susan Carroll-Clark wrote:

> When you get down to it, there are quite a few of the activities that
> I do that would fall into that last category. Making clothing, for
> example. While I have occasionally stitched on a garment at an event,
> most of what I've done has been at home. I wear the results to events.
> Same thing goes for calligraphy and illumination--yes, I've found
> myself in a scribe's room working on last-minute scrolls, but again,
> most of it has been done away from the SCA. Same thing goes for
> working on newsletters.

I tend to always have a piece of garb to work on both at fighter
practice (finished a tunic today) and at events. OTOH I'm the woman who
while running the back stage at TnRF was known for sewing almost
constantly (and grommeting and beading and and) in between feeding the
fairies, watering the cast & making sure the water, gatorade &
sekanjabin coolers were full.

Kat

Lady Val

Jul 22, 2002, 3:55:27 AM7/22/02
I currently live in the Kingdom of
Ansteorra, Barony Bordermarch (aka - Southeast Texas)

hile living in Virginia I saw some people dressed in medieval garb with swords,
and I asked them about their organization. They were al members of the Free
Companions Mediefvalist Society, and after joining them, I was introduced to
the SCA. The Free Companions elect their monarch every year, and I was elected
to serve as Queen and served a short time before I got a job in the state of
Texas. I found out about the SCA and wrote a letter to the local Seneschal of
the city where I was moving, and received a wonderful answer written in
calligraphy welcoming me to the wonderful Barony Bordermarch.

This was1981 and I have been a member of this wonderful life ever since. The
SCA has become a major part of my life. Why have I stayed involved al these
21+ years? Because "The Dream" has opened a door for me into that wonderful,
magical world of the MIddle Ages and Renaissance, and given me wonderful and
unforgettable friends, exciting weekend fun, the idea that people should
occasionally become part of the customs, chivalry, honour, and glory of this
period of time without all the bad things of that time.(no antibiotics, no
insulin, no vitimins, the plague, etc.)

During my 21+ years in the SCA, I have served as Kingdom Minister of Children,
Deputy Kingdom Hospitaler, local MInister of Children, local Hospitaler (16
years). local Chronicler, local Chirurgeon, Regional Scribe, and WaterBearer.
I have had a large outside storage building built behind my house to store my
SCA garb and feast gear, and enjoy doing calligraphy and creating scrolls.. I
enjoy taking part in "demos" when invited to talk at church or school groups
and if anyone asks me about the SCA, I enjoy talking about this important part
of my life.

Baroness Valencia Carlota Maria de Granada,
Spanish noblewoman in the Court of Catherine of Aragon, first wife of Henry
VIII

Ingeborg Denner

Jul 22, 2002, 5:29:58 AM7/22/02

Aeslynne wrote:

> Good Day
>
> I am currently working on a research paper about the S.C.A. for an
> undergraduate course.

Any chance we get to see this paper somewhere when it's done?

> I would like to include a section on personal
> feelings and opinions about the S.C.A.

Mmmm, any excuse for being nostalgic... so, I'll answer, although I'm
currently drifting out of the SCA and keep reading the rialto mostly out
of habit.

> -- Please identify what kingdom or barony you belong to.

Used to be Shire of Turmstadt, Kingdom of Drachenwald.

> -- How and why did you become involved with the S.C.A.

I read about the SCA in MZB's books, but always knew that something that
cool could never exist on the same plane of reality (or at least
continent) as I. Until some day a friend phoned me, telling me that he
had gone to some medieval-themed show in the barracks in a neighboring
town and there were all those people in armour, and they were doing
archery, and telling incredibly funny stories, and didn't I want to
join?

I did, and so we inherited a Shire on the verge of passing into
obscurity as all its members (all military) were called back to the
States. We couldn't leave it out in the rain ("can I keep it, mom, it
followed me home...") and became involved with the SCA.

(A longer narrative on that can be found on
<http://home.foni.net/~lyorn/sca_e/history.htm>)

> -- Why have you remained involved in the S.C.A.

Things to learn, structures and ideas to build, good friends, music,
stories, parties and a stage to show off on.
Why I stopped: Different things to learn, too little to build and too
much maintenance work, friends leaving, too little music, always the
same stories, boring parties and no one watching. Besides, fighting
windmills became tiring.

> -- How long have you been involved or been a member of the S.C.A.

Started in '91, effectively stopped in '00, but I still haven't
disentangled myself from all the responsibilities I acquired.

> -- What do you normally like to do in the S.C.A.

Singing, partying, cooking, telling and writing stories and histories.
Nothing significant or glamouros, but then, I hurt by back during event
preparations years ago and had to give up hopes of becoming a fighter
(pity: what I wanted most out of the SCA was to beat people up, but I
never got around to it), and I am clumsy with my hands.

inge

--
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."
-Groucho Marx

Bronwynmgn

Jul 22, 2002, 10:01:29 AM7/22/02
wrote:

>>Good Day
>>
>>I am currently working on a research paper about the S.C.A. for an
>>undergraduate course. I would like to include a section on personal
>>feelings and opinions about the S.C.A. I would appreciate help from anyone
>>who would be willing to answer the following questions.
>>
>>-- Please identify what kingdom or barony you belong to.

Shire of Silver Rylle, East Kingdom

>>-- How and why did you become involved with the S.C.A.

I was hanging out and sometimes working at PA Renaissance Faire when some of my
Faire friends asked me if I could get a week off from my mundane job in August.
Turned out they wanted to go to Pennsic 18, but didn't think any of their cars
could make the trip, so this was their way of getting to use mine! I had some
clue what Pennsic was, so said, "Sure, why not?" We put four people, one big
canvas cabin tent, all the faire garb we owned, sleeping bags, blankets, two
coolers, and a box of cooking gear into a Chevy Corsica. We had a standing
invite to camp with the old Children's Crusade (a household whose main criteria
for joining was that you had to be younger than the SCA) from Ostgardr, so we
took them up on it. When I got home, I called one of my friends from the
Children's Crusade and asked him how to join. I liked the fact that the SCA
was a year-round thing and didn't end after the weekend or after Faire closed
for the year, and also that it wasn't a case of acting one way for the audience
and another way when they were out of earshot.

>>-- Why have you remained involved in the S.C.A.

I love to learn stuff, and I'm fascinated by the tiny details of life in the
Middle Ages. Here I have a reason to keep learning, nobody thinks I'm wierd if
I spend my leisure time reading history books, and there are other people I can
discuss the stuff I find out with. I have also made many good friends,
including my absolutely best friend in the world, whom I would never had met if
it weren't for the SCA; and I have a second family in my household. I also met
my husband here, and it is our major joint hobby, as I'm not really into his
other hobbies.

>>-- How long have you been involved or been a member of the S.C.A.

Since Pennsic 18. Specifically, August 15, 1989.

>>-- What do you normally like to do in the S.C.A.

There are too many things I like to do! My big things right now are costuming
and handsewing, embroidery, and studying period cooking. I also enjoy singing
and playing the recorder, and want to learn more period music. I like to dance,
and to shoot archery. I like working with newcomers and am my shire's
Chatelaine. I am enjoying watching pas d'armes, when I had been bored with
watching fighting for some time. I'm doing some minor teaching in the areas of
sewing and cooking. For a long time, my primary activity in the SCA was being
a chirurgeon, and I burned out on it big-time; I've been in retirement for
about 5 years, I guess, but I'm going to re-certify this Pennsic and get back
into it again, on a much more moderate level. Other things I'd like to do, but
just can't manage? Calligraphy. Equestrian activities. There are probably
more, but I'm blanking on them right now.

Brangwayna Morgan

basic.bs.webusenet.com

Jul 22, 2002, 9:57:47 AM7/22/02

"Aeslynne" <Aesl...@hawaii.rr.com> wrote in message
> Good Day
>
> (snip)

> -- Please identify what kingdom or barony you belong to.

The Barony of Seleone, in the Principality of Glen Abhain, in the Kingdom of
Meridies ( mundanely Gulfport, MS )

> -- How and why did you become involved with the S.C.A.

I had been aware of the SCA since the mid-seventies, from some of my
reading. It seemed like it would be a wonderful and fun thing to do, but as
far as I knew then, it only existed out in Calif. and I was then in college
in FL.
After my marriage, I moved here to MS. Some years later, I read a brief bit
about a local SCA chapter here; they were doing a demo at a local Sci-Fi fan
con, and I went for the express purpose of making contact; a few weeks
later, they had another demo. I made my first piece of garb and went.
Started going to the monthly meetings, and have been a Scadian ever since.
That's the how.
The why? Like many others in the SCA, the answer lies in the kind of
reading I favor. As early as the fifth grade, my favorite book was Howard
Pyle's Robin Hood, and in high school, I discovered Tolkien. I had always
had a keen interest in the Middle Ages, both real and fantastical, and this
seemed tailor made for me.

> -- Why have you remained involved in the S.C.A.

Because it *still* satisfies that keen interest, as well as other interests
that I only discovered *after* I joined. Because I have formed many close
friendships with like-minded people.
Because I can be of service to others and have that service appreciated.
Because it satisfies an itch.
Because it still remains *fun*!
Because I can't imagine *not* remaining involved.

> -- How long have you been involved or been a member of the S.C.A.

Since 1988

> -- What do you normally like to do in the S.C.A.

The most enjoyable activity for me is schmoozing; talking with my friends
and acquaintances about anything and everything, both period and mundane, at
events, at classes, at parties, on the Rialto, and in the parking lot after
the meeting. I also enjoy trying out some of the responsibilities: I've been
Chatelaine, Chronicler, "demo-crat", "autocrat", "feastcrat", and Arts &
Sciences officer. I also enjoy the many hobbies that I have taken up in
support of my SCA habit: calligraphy & illumination, sewing, embroidery and
other forms of needlework, cooking period foods, and several other crafts I
have dabbled in from time to time.

> Thank you

You are most welcome.
AElfwenna

Aeslynne

Jul 22, 2002, 12:36:29 PM7/22/02
Reference the question regarding the opportunity to see the research paper
when it is completed. Yes - I have no problem with making it available to
anyone who would like to see it.

I originally thought of the idea because of all the stupid looks I get when
I mention the S.C.A. around people I work with. I usually get the feeling
that they are thinking, why would someone want to do that, hence the idea of
including personal input from S.C.A. members other than just myself.

"Ingeborg Denner" <wild...@gmx.de> wrote in message

Galen of Bristol

Jul 22, 2002, 8:44:47 PM7/22/02

"Aeslynne" <Aesl...@hawaii.rr.com> wrote:
>Good Day
>
>I am currently working on a research paper about the S.C.A. for an
>undergraduate course. I would like to include a section on personal
>feelings and opinions about the S.C.A. I would appreciate help from anyone
>who would be willing to answer the following questions.
>
>-- Please identify what kingdom or barony you belong to.

Barony of Elfsea, Kingdom of Ansteorra, but in the process of moving to the
Shire of Raven's Lake, Middle Kingdom

>-- How and why did you become involved with the S.C.A.

I was attending my first science fiction convention, "Just Imagicon", in
Memphis, TN. I saw a demo put on by the Barony of Grey Niche, including
John the Bearkiller and Kane Redfeather, and I was hooked. I've been in
the SCA ever since.

>-- Why have you remained involved in the S.C.A.

The people I love are in the SCA. Even during the bad times when it wasn't
fun, that was where the people I love have always been to be found.

>-- How long have you been involved or been a member of the S.C.A.

Since May of 1979; 23 years, or well over half my life.

>-- What do you normally like to do in the S.C.A.

teaching fighting, fighting at practice and tournies, bardcraft, serving
in office, court heraldry, marshalling, and most other available things.

- Galen of Bristol
<http://users2.ev1.net/~pmitchel/galen.htm>

>Thank you

Ingeborg Denner

Jul 23, 2002, 3:42:25 AM7/23/02

Aeslynne wrote:

> Reference the question regarding the opportunity to see the research paper
> when it is completed. Yes - I have no problem with making it available to
> anyone who would like to see it.

I would be very interested in it. I always am, in such things, because I
lack the patience (an in part, I fear, the skill) to sort and evaluate
the amounts of raw data that comes through and get some useful
correlation or conclusion. ;-)

Dennis O'Connor

Jul 24, 2002, 1:48:17 AM7/24/02
"Aeslynne" <Aesl...@hawaii.rr.com> wrote ...

> Good Day
>
> I am currently working on a research paper about the S.C.A. for an
> undergraduate course. I would like to include a section on personal
> feelings and opinions about the S.C.A. I would appreciate help from
> anyone who would be willing to answer the following questions.

Do you recognize that this is a self-selected
sample from a skewed subset of the SCA,
and therefor of little value vis-a-vis the SCA
as a whole except as isolated anecdotes ?

It's not the kind of info I'd dilute a research paper with,
since it has almost no scientific value. But then,
I'm a microprocessor architect, not a sociologist.
--
Dennis O'Connor dm...@primenet.com
"We don't become a rabid dog to destroy a rabid dog"

TdN

Jul 25, 2002, 5:50:30 PM7/25/02
"Dennis O'Connor" <dm...@primenet.com> wrote in message news:<10274895...@nnrp2.phx1.gblx.net>...

> "Aeslynne" <Aesl...@hawaii.rr.com> wrote ...
> > Good Day
> >
> > I am currently working on a research paper about the S.C.A. for an
> > undergraduate course. I would like to include a section on personal
> > feelings and opinions about the S.C.A. I would appreciate help from
> > anyone who would be willing to answer the following questions.
>
> Do you recognize that this is a self-selected
> sample [etc.]...?

I'm sure she does. But aren't you terribly, terribly thoughtful to
point it out to her in such a polite and non-condescending way?

Most anthropology/ethnology/sociology research papers include a
section on where and how data was gathered, and how interviews were
conducted. There isn't One True Method in those disciplines; rather,
there's an attempt at making methodologies transparent.

Tiennette

Dennis O'Connor

Jul 25, 2002, 10:32:22 PM7/25/02
"TdN" <triann...@hotmail.com> wrote ...
> "Dennis O'Connor" <dm...@primenet.com> wrote ...

> > "Aeslynne" <Aesl...@hawaii.rr.com> wrote ...
> > > Good Day
> > >
> > > I am currently working on a research paper about the S.C.A. for an
> > > undergraduate course. I would like to include a section on personal
> > > feelings and opinions about the S.C.A. I would appreciate help from
> > > anyone who would be willing to answer the following questions.
> >
> > Do you recognize that this is a self-selected
> > sample [etc.]...?
>
> I'm sure she does.

Really ? And how are you sure ?

> But aren't you terribly, terribly thoughtful to
> point it out to her in such a polite and non-condescending way?

Why thank you. I have a gift for that.