RIP Sir Bela / Yang / Robert

Morgan

May 23, 2008, 1:31:20 PM5/23/08
Since I haven't seen this posted here, two posts from the Caid list:

First:
---------
I have the sad duty to announce that Yang the Nauseating, one of the
founders of the Dark Horde and a noted science fiction author, passed away
today at his home in his sleep, of natural causes. He was 62. It's being
reported on a couple of SF lists and in Tom Smith's Live Journal. Bob was
scheduled to be Guest of Honor at Marcon this weekend.

I met him first at Discon II in Washington, D.C. in 1974, where I also
first met Sir Bela of Eastmarch and (now Mistress) Karina. I then
encountered him at Pennsic III the next week, as Yang the Nauseating, of
the Dark Horde.

May he find a bardic circle where the Tully flows free.
---------

Second:
---------
From a friend in sci fi fandom, but the SCA specifics are in there:

I've just received word through DI channels that Robert Lynn Asprin died
suddenly today, on his way to Marcon.

This was the man who founded both the Dark Horde and the Dorsai Irregulars
-- and via the intricate twists of the Foglios' brains, was therefore an
important ingredient (as far as I'm concerned, anyway) in the development
of the Jagerkin.

This is a man who rode out Katrina in the French Quarter, and his only
complaints were that the beer was warm and his toilet wouldn't flush.

Raise a glass to Yang the Nauseating -- we'll not see his like again.
Shai Dorsai!
---------

And a link with more info:
http://bolditalic.com/quotulatiousness_archive/004578.html

Raising a virtual glass,
Baintighearna Muirghein Dhaire Faoilciarach /|\
Dreiburgen Web Minister http://www.dreiburgen.org
(any posts to e-mail lists do not reflect official
opinions unless specifically stated otherwise)

Sean Cleary

May 23, 2008, 1:41:59 PM5/23/08
This was the man who founded both the Dark Horde and the Dorsai
Irregulars

And the Klingon Diplomatic core (spelling is poor, sorry).

It was almost as if he founded para-para military clubs just to sing
about them. He was widely know as a wonderful filker.

Sean

Morgan

May 23, 2008, 1:45:06 PM5/23/08
On Fri, 23 May 2008 10:41:59 -0700, Sean Cleary <seanea...@juno.com>
wrote:

For a minute there, I thought I was reading the wrong list -- then again,
the overlap between the SCA and Callahans shouldn't surprise me :-).

Muirghein/Morgan /|\
who, come to think of it, discovered Callahans via her SCA clan chief :-)

Sean Cleary

May 23, 2008, 8:18:33 PM5/23/08
When Poul died, I took note from Gordy's death, and sent enough urls
etc to the local newspaper (LA TIMES) so that they would note the
passing of a great writer. I had thought this would be automatic, but
Gordy's death showed me otherwise. I could see that the article was
written based mostly on the urls I supplied. Make it easy and it will
get done.

Could you supply me with enough urls, etc that I could send such
somewhere? And any suggestions where? I am in California, and some of
Poul's article's reason was a great writer dieing in CA.
Or will someone reassure me that I need not do this?

Sean

Richard Eney

May 29, 2008, 9:36:20 PM5/29/08
In article <b3b6418e-3877-4f9c...@x1g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,

AFAIK the Dorsai Irregulars group _was_ founded to go with the song
at the Worldcon where Heinlein was Guest of Honor. The song and
the costumed group were a Costume Contest entry.

The Klingon Diplomatic Corps was invented to be security guards
at the very early Trek Cons, back when they were fan-run.

=Tamar

mikeG

May 30, 2008, 2:29:50 PM5/30/08
On Thu, 29 May 2008 20:36:20 -0500, dic...@radix.net (Richard Eney)
wrote:

>In article <b3b6418e-3877-4f9c...@x1g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,
>Sean Cleary <seanea...@juno.com> wrote:
>>> This was the man who founded both the Dark Horde and the Dorsai
>>>Irregulars
>>
>>And the Klingon Diplomatic core (spelling is poor, sorry).

<snip>

>The Klingon Diplomatic Corps was invented to be security guards
>at the very early Trek Cons, back when they were fan-run.
>
>=Tamar

The New York Star Trek Cons(1872-76) didn't have the Klingon
Diplomatic Corps as security. I should know; *I* was doing security
at all of them, from line maker to guest guarder, and the KDC, as a
group, were not in evidence.
Mike Grossberg, SCAdianly known as Gardr

Purple Kat

May 30, 2008, 9:12:46 PM5/30/08

uummmmm... didn't know that they had Star Trek cons in the 1800's...

heheheheheheh

he's my hubby - I can tweak him on this......

Katheryne

Sean Cleary

May 31, 2008, 5:37:46 PM5/31/08
According to a book on star trek by B. Trimble (spelling is ?) the KDC
were also invented as a costume contest entry. And as I noted, the
cast were close to the same people in the other two orgs.

Sean

Sean Cleary

May 31, 2008, 5:39:26 PM5/31/08
I love his typo too.
It is all that time travel the stars do.
Sean

mikeG

Jun 1, 2008, 1:26:07 PM6/1/08

Sorry about the error. Much as I'd like to play at being a
Galifreyan, I'm no Doctor(don't ask "Who"!!)
I meant, of course, the NY Star Trek Cons from *19*72-76.
Strangely enought, the "74 con was also my introduction to the SCA, as
about half the security group at the con were members of House Ostrov.
My first event was the Ostrov Birthday party, in March of '75(which
event is now called Mudthaw in Settmour Swamp). I've been in the SCA
for 33 years, thanks to a Trek con.
Gardr Gunnarsson

Aimee

Jun 20, 2008, 11:40:45 PM6/20/08
Gardr,

As a side note, I'm not sure which New York Star Trek Cons you are
referring to in the 75-76 time frame - there may have been dozens for
all I know. The one Tamar was referring to above was the New York
"Strektacular" at the Hilton run by Sandra Boynton of infamy;
distinctly *not* fan-run, she made no secret of wanting to make money
off the Star Trek fans. It was the second and last such con she'd run
(the first was in Chicago). As a member of the Dorsai Irregulars and
part of the convention crew for both cons, I can assure you that the
DI, in the guise of the Klingon Diplomatic Corps, was very much hired
to run security at those events. Bob Asprin was commanding the troops
at the time.

The convention was so massively over-sold (they sold general admission
tickets, without specifying which of 4 or 5 shows the attendee would
be admitted to, and they all wanted to go into the 3pm show) that the
crowd in the lobby began to get quite ugly - and with some
justification. Ultimately the New York City Police were called in to
restore order. We actually were ordered to "abandon con"; quite a few
of us did so by escaping up the down escalators.

Bob got several excellent filk songs out of that one, as did others.
In fact, a lot of his best planning, plotting, scheming, and
slandering took place combined with music, both in the SCA and in
fandom. Which came first is really a chicken and egg discussion; they
were inextricably intertwined.

He was one of the only genuinely charismatic individuals I've ever had
the privilege to call "friend", and I am sad knowing that his light -
a prickly, uncomfortable, daring, dazzling, energizing, annoying,
fascinating, and frustrating force of nature - is darkened.

Aimee Moran, DI
Catherine Aimee Le Moyne, OP, Baroness, Roaring Wastes (Middle)

AElflaed of Duckford

Jun 21, 2008, 10:59:25 AM6/21/08

> uummmmm... didn't know that they had Star Trek cons in the 1800's...-=-

But remember when Guinan was having a thing with Mark Twain in San
Francisco, and Mark Twain was fine with Data being an android? I'm
sure Mark Twain could've gotten something together...

Here's what I've gotten together: an obituaries page. And I linked
back to here, on Yang's bio stuff.

http://sandradodd.com/people/obituaries/sca

If any of you would like to send me information to add, it can be as
small as SCA name and date of death, or as long as you want.

AElflaed
Outlands

mikeG

Jun 21, 2008, 5:26:06 PM6/21/08
On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 20:40:45 -0700 (PDT), Aimee
<aimee...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Gardr,
>
>As a side note, I'm not sure which New York Star Trek Cons you are
>referring to in the 75-76 time frame - there may have been dozens for
>all I know. The one Tamar was referring to above was the New York
>"Strektacular" at the Hilton run by Sandra Boynton of infamy;
>distinctly *not* fan-run, she made no secret of wanting to make money
>off the Star Trek fans. It was the second and last such con she'd run
>(the first was in Chicago). As a member of the Dorsai Irregulars and
>part of the convention crew for both cons, I can assure you that the
>DI, in the guise of the Klingon Diplomatic Corps, was very much hired
>to run security at those events. Bob Asprin was commanding the troops
>at the time.
>
>The convention was so massively over-sold (they sold general admission
>tickets, without specifying which of 4 or 5 shows the attendee would
>be admitted to, and they all wanted to go into the 3pm show) that the
>crowd in the lobby began to get quite ugly - and with some
>justification. Ultimately the New York City Police were called in to
>restore order. We actually were ordered to "abandon con"; quite a few
>of us did so by escaping up the down escalators.

<snip>

The cons I'm referring to were definitely fan-run, from 72-76. Joan
Winston was the head honcho for the first couple. I know that the
KDC/Dorsai weren't hired for them because they were all staffed by
volunteers(including me).
I remember hearing about the "strektacular". We used it as an example
of everything NOT to do when running a con!
Every one of the "Committee" cons(as we called them), even with all
the security people being volunteers, were nice, quiet, almost no
trouble. This is not to reflect on the performance of the
Klingon/Dorsai, mind you. We got better behaved attendees, and those
running the con cared more about people having a good time then making
money. They were satisfied if the cons broke even, so that there
could maybe be another one next year.
The only exception to this attitude was a guy named Al Shuster, who
was a huckster in the worst sense of the word. When the makeup artist
from "Trek" did him up as a Klingon, most of us said that it was only
typecasting. After being in charge for two cons he did some really
nasty things to the committee involving finances, and absconding with
all the attendee lists from the cons. That's all I know about for
sure, but there were rumors of other, even less legal machinations.
Regretably, I never met Mr Asprin. I one time heard a description of
a panel he was on with Dr. Christopher Stasheff, who happens to be an
acquaintance of mine. As both men were incorrigable punsters, it
would've been an incredible show.
Gardr Gunnarsson

David Friedman

Jul 4, 2008, 5:51:20 AM7/4/08
While on the subject of Yang ... .

http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Misc_Poetry.html#26

--
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/ http://daviddfriedman.blogspot.com/
Author of _Harald_, a fantasy without magic.