Music you hated then you like now?

Andrew Stewart

Jan 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/9/99
Do you find that there's some 70s music you couldn't stand at the time
that you tolerate, like or even love now? I've found this is more and
more the case for me as I get older. There's a lot of stuff I didn't
like in the 70s and wouldn't have listened to that I won't change the
channel on now if it comes on the radio, and I even find myself buying
albums by bands I didn't like in the 70s.

I'm not sure if this is a case of my taste changing as I get older, or
if I'm suddenly more favourably disposed towards all 70s music on pure
nostalgia grounds.

(np: Best Of Bowie 69/74)
To join 1300 fans receiving a free monthly BOWIE newsletter, send a message to
bowie...@hotmail.com with the subject "Subscribe"
For copies of back issues, check out http://www.angelfire.com/al/bowienews/

Beards

Jan 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/9/99

Andrew Stewart wrote in message

>Do you find that there's some 70s music you couldn't stand at the time
>that you tolerate, like or even love now? I've found this is more and
>more the case for me as I get older. There's a lot of stuff I didn't
>like in the 70s and wouldn't have listened to that I won't change the
>channel on now if it comes on the radio, and I even find myself buying
>albums by bands I didn't like in the 70s.
>
>I'm not sure if this is a case of my taste changing as I get older, or
>if I'm suddenly more favourably disposed towards all 70s music on pure
>nostalgia grounds.

hmmmmm, what, no examples?

wolfsram

Jan 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/9/99
oh yeahhhhh....CSN comes to mind immediately.

LRossi3940

Jan 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/10/99
>Do you find that there's some 70s music you couldn't stand at the time
>that you tolerate, like or even love now? I've found this is more and
>more the case for me as I get older

Yeah ummm ;

Simon & Garfunkel
James Taylor
Jim Croce
Harry Chapin
etc

Peace

simon

Jan 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/10/99

wolfsram wrote in message <369800F4...@sprintmail.com>...

>oh yeahhhhh....CSN comes to mind immediately.

What is CSN?

Simon

Jason LeBouef

Jan 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/10/99
simon wrote:

Crosby, Stills, & Nash - I've always loved them

Schimm...@my-dejanews.com

Jan 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/10/99
In article <36979c36...@news.iol.ie>,

and...@hotmail.com (Andrew Stewart) wrote:
> Do you find that there's some 70s music you couldn't stand at the time
> that you tolerate, like or even love now? I've found this is more and
> more the case for me as I get older. There's a lot of stuff I didn't
> like in the 70s and wouldn't have listened to that I won't change the
> channel on now if it comes on the radio, and I even find myself buying
> albums by bands I didn't like in the 70s.
>
> I'm not sure if this is a case of my taste changing as I get older, or
> if I'm suddenly more favourably disposed towards all 70s music on pure
> nostalgia grounds.
>
> (np: Best Of Bowie 69/74)
> To join 1300 fans receiving a free monthly BOWIE newsletter, send a message to
> bowie...@hotmail.com with the subject "Subscribe"
> For copies of back issues, check out http://www.angelfire.com/al/bowienews/
> Yes of course I do find that but even in shorter periods of time. There are many times I will buy a cd or lp or tape find it to just be OK on first play & then find I like a cut on second play & then like a few cuts on third play & gradually get into whole thing after several more listenining. Music often does grow on you over time & I will sometimes put something aside & then replay a few months later & have very different feel toward same. As personal example I found Hendrix rather strange when I first played in late 60's but then got into Woodstock when it first came out & found he really grew on me so I went back to Are You Experienced quite awhile after having first played & truly enjoyed & now as is case with many people I feel it is a really spectacular landmark album, but of course taste can change over time & I am actually alot broader in what I like now than when I was first getting into music in the
60's
Andy {:-)

Schimm...@my-dejanews.com

Jan 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/10/99
In article <77aah4$ajr$1...@newnews.global.net.uk>,

"simon" <simo...@globalnet.co.uk> wrote:

> wolfsram wrote in message <369800F4...@sprintmail.com>...
> >oh yeahhhhh....CSN comes to mind immediately.
>
> What is CSN?
>
> Simon
>
> CSN(&Y) Crosby Stills Nash (& Young)

King Pineapple

Jan 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/10/99
Here's a classic example, Peter Frampton. I couldn't stand the guy back in
the 70's, but he joined Ringo Starr's 4th All-Starr Band in 1997 and I
couldn't believe how good the guy was when I saw them in concert. I could
even sit through his old songs ("Show Me The Way") without getting sick.
But he really shined on the material the other band members did, such as
Jack Bruce's "Sunshine of Your Love".

Andrew Stewart <and...@hotmail.com> wrote in article
<36979c36...@news.iol.ie>...

John J Troutman

Jan 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/10/99
Andrew Stewart wrote:

> Do you find that there's some 70s music you couldn't stand at the time
> that you tolerate, like or even love now? I've found this is more and
> more the case for me as I get older. There's a lot of stuff I didn't
> like in the 70s and wouldn't have listened to that I won't change the
> channel on now if it comes on the radio, and I even find myself buying
> albums by bands I didn't like in the 70s.

I find myself appreciating Paul Simon and Joni Mitchell's stuff a lot more now. I
had pretty much dismissed most of the "singer/songwritet" stuff as whiny and
insufferable, and I still hold to that description for a lot of it. I'm not sure
why I changed my mind in Simon's case; in Mitchell's, it was by being reintroduced
to some of her records by a friend.

Jeff Troutman
NP: Cardinal - s/t

red

Jan 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/10/99
and...@hotmail.com (Andrew Stewart) wrote:

>Do you find that there's some 70s music you couldn't stand at the time
>that you tolerate, like or even love now? I've found this is more and
>more the case for me as I get older. There's a lot of stuff I didn't
>like in the 70s and wouldn't have listened to that I won't change the
>channel on now if it comes on the radio, and I even find myself buying
>albums by bands I didn't like in the 70s.

Disco & black music in general.

Hated it then, can't live without it now.

Red

Steve McCullar

Jan 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/10/99

Andrew Stewart wrote:

> Do you find that there's some 70s music you couldn't stand at the time
> that you tolerate, like or even love now?

Yes. In the 70's I was a teenage hard rock fan, especially Deep Purple, Aerosmith,
Pink Floyd. Today I love to hear Abba even though I couldn't stand it then. Also,
I can't bear Deep Purple or Aerosmith anymore, but I still find the old Pink FLoyd
music interesting.

Chris P. Mezzolesta

Jan 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/10/99
On Sat, 09 Jan 1999 19:37:47 GMT, and...@hotmail.com (Andrew Stewart)
wrote:

>Do you find that there's some 70s music you couldn't stand at the time
>that you tolerate, like or even love now?

By far and away, for me it's Emerson Lake & Palmer. Couldn't stand
them save for Lucky Man, thought it was overbombastic, self-serving
crap. Well, I grew up. After taking a flyer on their Atlantic GH
collection at the library, I found a couple more tracks that I liked,
then snagged some of the early LPs for cheap on the Net and at the
local "garage sale store"...In short order I "got" Trilogy and Brain
Salad Surgery, and then it all made sense. Reading about their history
in Goldmine around that time helped...so I have since become a
confirmed ELP freak, just in time to see them live once before Greg
Lake left the band recently.

D. K.

Jan 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/10/99
Im experiencing the same thing- Perhaps its because there were more
"real musicians" back then? For example, I might have more respect for
rappers when I see an instrument in their hands or they dont steal riffs
from others. A lot of current hits seem so "cookie cutter" to me and a
lot of current artists seem to be more concerned with looking good. With
seventies music you can just hear the first bar of a song and be able to
identify it right away- there was more originality (In music, not image.

Deborah Kay aka. Mewsikfingers -"There are two means of refuge from the
miseries of life; Music & Cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Lenny Smith

Jan 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/11/99

Beards wrote in message <778esg$aiv$1...@ins8.netins.net>...

>Andrew Stewart wrote in message
>>Do you find that there's some 70s music you couldn't stand at the time
>>that you tolerate, like or even love now? I've found this is more and
>>more the case for me as I get older. <snip>

Haha, sure there is! Living through the 70's, I was pretty turned off by
nearly all the really successful radio tunes from the birth o' disco on...
I liked the pre/proto-punk and glam rockers and hated disco. Didn't really
learn to appreciate it till the early 80's... Don't know if it was
age/nostalgia, or just my natural tendency to hate things I feel are being
marketed down my throat! But hey, better late than never!

Lenny

Andrew Stewart

Jan 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/11/99
On Sat, 9 Jan 1999 14:40:40 -0600, "Beards" <dca...@netins.net> wrote:

>hmmmmm, what, no examples?

I used to hate Slade, 70s Stones, and Pink Floyd, for example.

(np: Best Of Bowie 74/79)

LRossi3940

Jan 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/11/99
>By far and away, for me it's Emerson Lake & Palmer. Couldn't stand
>them save for Lucky Man, thought it was overbombastic, self-serving
>crap. Well, I grew up. After taking a flyer on their Atlantic GH
>collection at the library, I found a couple more tracks that I liked,
>then snagged some of the early LPs for cheap on the Net and at the
>local "garage sale store"...In short order I "got" Trilogy and Brain
>Salad Surgery, and then it all made sense. Reading about their history
>in Goldmine around that time helped...so I have since become a
>confirmed ELP freak, just in time to see them live once before Greg
>Lake left the band recently.

Better late than never. Did you see them with Deep Purple last summer ? Whatta
show eh ?

Peace

Gernot Lachluhn

Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99
In article <19990110083613...@ng-fd1.aol.com>, lross...@aol.com
(LRossi3940) wrote...

>>Do you find that there's some 70s music you couldn't stand at the time
>>that you tolerate, like or even love now? I've found this is more and
>>more the case for me as I get older
>
>Yeah ummm ;
>
>Simon & Garfunkel
>James Taylor
>Jim Croce
>Harry Chapin
>etc
>

>Peace

I couldn't stand Jim Croce, KC and the Sunshine Band and Earth Wind and Fire,
and I still can't stand them. :) I couldn't stand disco, but I am more
tolerant of it now, especially when it is such a classic as Pink Floyd's
Another Brick in the Wall.

simon

Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99

Andrew Stewart wrote in message <36991fce...@news.iol.ie>...

>On Sat, 9 Jan 1999 14:40:40 -0600, "Beards" <dca...@netins.net> wrote:
>
>>hmmmmm, what, no examples?
>
>I used to hate Slade, 70s Stones, and Pink Floyd, for example.

And now of course... you can hear Noddy Holder on the radio... talking about
dancing around handbags....

Simon

Chris

Jan 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/14/99
>Here's a classic example, Peter Frampton. I couldn't stand the guy back in
>the 70's, but he joined Ringo Starr's 4th All-Starr Band in 1997 and I
>couldn't believe how good the guy was when I saw them in concert. I could
>even sit through his old songs ("Show Me The Way") without getting sick.
>But he really shined on the material the other band members did, such as
>Jack Bruce's "Sunshine of Your Love".

I got "Frampton Comes Alive" for Christmas or something around '76 and
really liked it. I was embarrased to let my friends see it though so I
stuck it all the way in the back of my record collection so it'd look
like I never listened to it.

There's some damn fine guitar playing on that album which I really
came to appreciate later when I started playing guitar myself.
Framptom really made the rotating Leslie speaker part of his signature
sound, but he did steal the talk box thing from Joe Walsh. At least he
made good use of it.

Too bad they promoted him as some sort of pretty boy teen idol instead
of as the exellent songwriter and musician he is.

Paul White

Jan 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/15/99

Yeah, there are lots of songs I didnt like then, but I like now. I even had
the opportunity to go see Led Zepplin live, but I didnt like them then, so I
passed it up ... (OH MY GOD, did I do that !?!?!)

But I will never EVER enjoy "Send in the Clowns" !!!!!

=============

Andrew Stewart <and...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>Do you find that there's some 70s music you couldn't stand at the time
>that you tolerate, like or even love now? I've found this is more and

>more the case for me as I get older. There's a lot of stuff I didn't
>like in the 70s and wouldn't have listened to that I won't change the
>channel on now if it comes on the radio, and I even find myself buying
>albums by bands I didn't like in the 70s.
>

>I'm not sure if this is a case of my taste changing as I get older, or
>if I'm suddenly more favourably disposed towards all 70s music on pure
>nostalgia grounds.
>
> (np: Best Of Bowie 69/74)
____

Edster523

Jan 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/15/99
"At Seventeen" is a prime example of one of the few songs that I really did not
care for back then( "...for ugly duckling girls...like me"--whine,whine,whine
). Although, if it were to be played today, I would not turn it off, probably
because I haven't heard it in quite a while.

ronal...@my-dejanews.com

Jan 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/15/99
I love '70s disco now, all of it. However, I mostly like the "white bread"
variety: novelty hits, Village People, etc.

I also can tolerate some more classic rock. The musicianship was so much
better then!

Ron Albane

*A Man 4 All Seasons*

Jan 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/15/99
Barry Manilow springs to mind.

I remember my sister and I had adjoining rooms and while she blared
"Weekend In New England" from her record player I would be blasting her
back with "Dressed To Kill".

Now I kinda like Barry,I'm not a die hard fan of his but I can listen to
him from time to time.However,my sister still hates KISS....

-M4AS

simon

Jan 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/16/99

ronal...@my-dejanews.com wrote in message
<77ohpc$570$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>I love '70s disco now, all of it. However, I mostly like the "white bread"
>variety: novelty hits, Village People, etc.

Hey, now you're talking - but then, I've always loved the Village People...
one by one...and even better when they are performing live.

Simon