Sam Farkas RIP

Joe Finn

Jun 12, 2010, 2:18:11 PM6/12/10
It is with great sadness that I report the untimely death of my good friend
and newsgroup contributor Sam Farkas. Apparently he was working at his
regular Friday night gig last evening when he became ill. They called an
ambulance for him but now he's gone. What a terrible thing. He had two
little kids and a wife at home, too.

Sam was a terrific guitarist. We had played together at guitar shows and
various other events for many years. Since he was such a good reader he also
stayed busy playing lots of local shows over the years. He performed with
Nick Brignola, Ritchie Cole and other jazz greats too numerous to mention.
Sam was also the proprietor of Adirondack Strings, a guitar shop in Albany,
New York.

Anybody that knew Sam will never forget his sense of humor. He was
constantly cracking jokes and coming up with puns that kept everybody around
him smiling. He was also a generous soul. I owe him a ton of favors and I
know I'm not alone in this regard.

Rest in peace old buddy. .....joe

--
Visit me on the web www.JoeFinn.net
Or say hello via Facebook:

Maj6th

Jun 12, 2010, 6:09:15 PM6/12/10
He will always be with you if you remember him.

Maj6th

"Joe Finn" <J...@JoeFinn.net> wrote in message

Paul Mitchell Brown

Jun 12, 2010, 9:17:21 PM6/12/10

Sad to hear, Joe. I literally just came across his name while
researching students of Chuck Wayne moments before seeing your post.

Mitch

Jun 13, 2010, 6:26:13 AM6/13/10

Hi Joe,
What a shock! I haven't seen Sam in many years (I'm an Upstate NY boy,
remember?). The last time i heard from him was for a gig a few years
ago, which i (unfortunately) wasn't able to make. RIP Sam.
Mitch Seidman

tom walls

Jun 13, 2010, 7:14:11 AM6/13/10
On Jun 12, 2:18 pm, "Joe Finn" <J...@JoeFinn.net> wrote:

Sorry to hear it. RIP

Joe Giglio

Jun 13, 2010, 10:27:21 AM6/13/10
On Jun 12, 2:18 pm, "Joe Finn" <J...@JoeFinn.net> wrote:

Dear Joe,
What a shame - I am so sorry for the loss to his family & friends.
I am glad that he had a friend as fine as you, & that you shared time
with him.
Based on your description of Sam Farkas, I wish that I had known
him...
May Peace Be With Sam.
JoeG

Joe Finn

Jun 13, 2010, 11:05:27 AM6/13/10
"Joe Giglio" <joeg...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I remember how I met Sam. Back in the 1970s my brother and I had a gig one
snowy night when the guy who was supposed to come and pick us [and our gear]
up, bailed out on account of the weather. We left our equipment behind
planning to pick it up the next day. The club burned to the ground that
night after we had left.

I had all kinds of gigs on my schedule and I had just lost my one and only
amplifier. I didn't have enough money to get a new one.

Somebody said that I should go see Sam Farkas and maybe he could help. So I
met Sam for the first time. He was just getting into the business of
establishing himself as a music dealer; working out of his parents house
which was full of dozens of guitar cases. Sam gave me an amp and said he was
happy to help. I returned it a month later and he wouldn't take my money.
That's just the kind of guy he was. We were friends ever since. .....joe

Joe Finn

Jun 13, 2010, 11:10:16 AM6/13/10
"Paul Mitchell Brown" <paulmitc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Although Sam only posted occasional messages to this group, he read it on a
regular basis. I know because he used to tease me about wasting too much
time here. .....joe

Joe Finn

Jun 13, 2010, 11:17:29 AM6/13/10

"Mitch" <msei...@pair.com> wrote in message

Sam was pretty sick last year. He was hospitalized with some kind of
infection that required blood transfusions. He also had to inject himself
several times daily once he got home. He had seemed to be getting better
really. He had resumed his regular schedule and was playing gigs all the
time. The last half dozen times I saw him he seemed fine. He never was one
to complain though.

He loved your playing, Mitch. ......joe

Joe Finn

Jun 13, 2010, 11:20:21 AM6/13/10
"Maj6th" <maj...@dslextreme.com> wrote in message

> He will always be with you if you remember him.
>
> Maj6th

Thanks for that.

Since someone had asked about it, in lieu of flowers, the family is
suggesting that donations may be made to The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society,
Upstate New York/Vermont Chapter, 5 Computer Drive West, Suite 100, Albany,
NY, 12205

Tim Berens

Jun 13, 2010, 2:23:15 PM6/13/10
On Jun 12, 2:18 pm, "Joe Finn" <J...@JoeFinn.net> wrote:
> It is with great sadness that I report the untimely death of my good friend
> and newsgroup contributor Sam Farkas.

Joe:

I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. The picture on his
website shows a joyous person.

I hope the memory of the joy he brought to you can bring some small
comforts in the days ahead.

Tim

Greger Hoel

Jun 13, 2010, 5:19:16 PM6/13/10
På Sat, 12 Jun 2010 20:18:11 +0200, skrev Joe Finn <J...@JoeFinn.net>:

> It is with great sadness that I report the untimely death of my good
> friend
> and newsgroup contributor Sam Farkas.

> Rest in peace old buddy. .....joe

I only vaguely remember him posting here. My condolances, Joe. Losing a
good friend is a terrible loss.

--
Always cross a vampire; never moon a werewolf

Joe Finn

Jun 13, 2010, 8:44:16 PM6/13/10
"Tim Berens" <t...@timberens.com> wrote in message

>Joe:

>Tim

Thank you Tim. I'm performing at his funeral tomorrow. I think it should be
fine. Things like this don't hit me emotionally right away. I'm more
likely to burst into tears in a month or so for no apparent reason.

Joe Finn

Jun 13, 2010, 8:45:22 PM6/13/10
"Greger Hoel" <gre...@blowme.com> wrote in message

> P� Sat, 12 Jun 2010 20:18:11 +0200, skrev Joe Finn <J...@JoeFinn.net>:
>
>> It is with great sadness that I report the untimely death of my good
>> friend
>> and newsgroup contributor Sam Farkas.
>> Rest in peace old buddy. .....joe
>
> I only vaguely remember him posting here. My condolances, Joe. Losing a
> good friend is a terrible loss.

Thank you Greger. That's very kind of you. ....joe

Eric E

Jun 13, 2010, 9:38:02 PM6/13/10
On Jun 12, 2:18 pm, "Joe Finn" <J...@JoeFinn.net> wrote:

Wow, that's awful. So sorry for the loss of your friend Joe.
RIP Sam.

--Eric E

van

Jun 14, 2010, 12:50:01 AM6/14/10
On Jun 12, 2:18 pm, "Joe Finn" <J...@JoeFinn.net> wrote:

Sorry to hear that. I remember him posting about Chuck Wayne lessons
at one time, and have heard his name around.
RIP Sam.

Mike H.

Jun 14, 2010, 1:50:00 AM6/14/10
So sad to hear this news. Sam put together, as he called it, The Sam
Farkas All-Star Band to play my wedding way back in 1993. He didn't
dig doing a wedding gig, but as a favor to a friend, he put together a
band of his favorite local musicians.
To this day, whenever my wedding comes up, people still will remark
about how that band was the best they'd ever heard. They played a
silky version of Nat King Cole's 'When I Fall in Love,' and Sam played
The Beatles' 'In My Life' as a solo jazz instrumental. I get shivers
thinking about how good he sounded that night.
Here is a link to Sam's obituary:
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/timesunion-albany/obituary.aspx?n=samuel-m-farkas&pid=143517078
And here's a piece I just wrote on a local music blog here in Albany:
http://blog.timesunion.com/localarts/sam-farkas-rip/5785/
Thanks, Sam, for all you did for the music scene here in Albany.

Joe Finn

Jun 14, 2010, 8:41:27 PM6/14/10
"Mike H." <mhub...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Thanks for that blog entry. Sam would have appreciated it. ...joe