How to get smoke smell out of case and guitar

1 view

RobertH446

Feb 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/23/99
I recently purchased a gibson 135. plays great but the former owner must of
been a heavy smoker. The inside of the case and the guitar itself smell bad of
smoke
Any ideas?
i did let the case sit outside for several days to let it air out but that
din't do much

bob

Tom Walls

Feb 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/23/99
In article <19990223120955...@ng19.aol.com>, rober...@aol.com
says...

Caramba! I bought a used 135 and it smelled just like a smokey bar room.
I've had it about six months now and I think the odor has totally dissipated.

ELOYJAZZ

Feb 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/23/99
The one product that works and won't cost
you an arm and a leg is

Fabreeze (I'm guessing at the
spelling)

You'll find it in you neighborhood supermarket.

Believe me. Spray yourcase. Don't put your
guitar back in the case til you gotten rid of the
smell.

Keep spraying you guitar with lemon pledge
and the smell will eventually come out.
(try using the fabreeze, spray a dampened
towel and go around the guitar then immediately use guitar polish. I use
Alembic guitar polish that works much like
Martin polish.

I bought a L7 that had contracted the player
BO smell and it was awfull!!! So I can understand the problem.

Eloy

ELOYJAZZ

Feb 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/23/99
the 135 is a great guitar I own one.
I love mine.

Eloy

Willie K. Yee, MD

Feb 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/23/99
Is this how the "tobacco sunburst" finishe originated?

--

Willie Kai Yee, M.D.
Developer of Problem Knowledge Couplers for Psychiatry

wy...@mhv.net
http://www1.mhv.net/~wyee/index.html

21 Tricor Ave.
New Paltz, NY 12561
(914) 255-0660

"We are the Universe trying to understand itself."
-- Minbari saying --

Tom Walls

Feb 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/23/99
In article <19990223135422...@ng-cb1.aol.com>, eloy...@aol.com
says...

>the 135 is a great guitar I own one.
>I love mine.
>
>Eloy

I love mine, too. Since this thread seems to have the attention of 135
owners, I'll repeat a request that I made previously. I've got what seems to
be a 1954 es135 D, no cutaway, bound fingerboard with parallelogram inlays.
If anyone has any information regarding this guitar or other early 135's or
the history of the 135, I'd love to hear it.

Matt

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99
>Any ideas?

Forget about getting it out of the guitar.. Might not happen. Take up
smoking. My pal had a keyboard at my house for a few weeks.. Smokers in the
house.. Needless to say, he was very angry and disgusted when he got it
back.
matt