industrial clothing?

Yang Lim

Apr 13, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/13/96
I'm sort of new to industrial music. I was looking through
IndustrialnatioN #12 and I saw all this stuff about stores that sell
"industrial clothing." My question is, what's industrial clothing? I
mean, I know it involves boots, but what else? I'm about the only
person at my school who likes industrial, so I have no idea how
industrial fans dress.

Kelly

Apr 13, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/13/96

BLACK black....it's all black! :)

kelly

SolVenT

Apr 14, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/14/96

Fashion is all in our heads and/but these are a few things I have
noticed(and like always, feel free to flame me if any of you wish).
Combat boots, work boots, military pants, jeans, leather jackets, trench
coats, military jackets, band shirts, alot of black, spikes, chains,
band patches, goth stuff, punk stuff, raver stuff, leather stuff, ....
but then again, the majority of us look somewhat "normal" or even geeky.
Basically most of the stuff I have listed is stuff that I wear or used
to wear. It has little to do with industrial music but I don't really
care.

JoN

oh yeah, ever hear anyone say "Fuck you, i'm industrial!!!"? hehe

Robin Ferguson

Apr 14, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/14/96
Yang Lim (abo...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: I'm sort of new to industrial music. I was looking through
: IndustrialnatioN #12 and I saw all this stuff about stores that sell
: "industrial clothing." My question is, what's industrial clothing? I
: mean, I know it involves boots, but what else? I'm about the only
: person at my school who likes industrial, so I have no idea how
: industrial fans dress.

Work boots with concrete stuck to them. Coveralls with paint splotches
all over and a little pouch to put your drill in. On of those orange
hit-me vest. Oh, and most importantly the armband that says
"Industrial". Try to find some material with a polka dot pattern and
using silver glittery spray paint "Industrial" on it. This is the only
way you could ever join the exclusive elite ranks of industrial music fans.

robin, just kidding about all that,
it's what's inside that counts.

Brian T. Richardson

Apr 14, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/14/96

In a previous article, abo...@ix.netcom.com (Yang Lim) says:

>I'm sort of new to industrial music. I was looking through
>IndustrialnatioN #12 and I saw all this stuff about stores that sell
>"industrial clothing." My question is, what's industrial clothing? I
>mean, I know it involves boots, but what else? I'm about the only
>person at my school who likes industrial, so I have no idea how
>industrial fans dress.

You must go out to the junk yard and find pieces ov metal
that fit your body nicely and weld them together.. and
then spray paint the number 23 on to the front..
always were dark sunglasses and talk about startinggggggggg
a new fascist government in america..

brian, Police Kill Man to Stop Suicide!

Prince Vermillion

Apr 14, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/14/96
In article <4knkta$4...@dfw-ixnews6.ix.netcom.com>,
abo...@ix.netcom.com(Yang Lim ) wrote:

> I'm sort of new to industrial music. I was looking through
> IndustrialnatioN #12 and I saw all this stuff about stores that sell
> "industrial clothing." My question is, what's industrial clothing? I
> mean, I know it involves boots, but what else? I'm about the only
> person at my school who likes industrial, so I have no idea how
> industrial fans dress.

Dress however you want to dress. No scene can tell you what you *have* to
wear. Go to a club in a Victorian dress with a big poofy hat, for all I
care. But if you must know what the average is, try dark clothing, with
Doc Martens. A cross between skinhead (nonracist, please) and goth
clothing. But I'll reiterate myself - dress what communicates your style.

* Be a good netizen! Visit the UnOffical Sticher Webpage! *
* http://www.global1.net/users/amazing/index.html *
* Food, Folks, and Joe's Mom! *

David Kent

Apr 14, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/14/96
Yang Lim wrote:

> I'm sort of new to industrial music. I was looking through
> IndustrialnatioN #12 and I saw all this stuff about stores that sell
> "industrial clothing." My question is, what's industrial clothing? I
> mean, I know it involves boots, but what else? I'm about the only
> person at my school who likes industrial, so I have no idea how
> industrial fans dress.

The industrial look is almost exactly the same as the cyberpunk look.
Lots of black. Boots are a must. Attitude is a definite requirement...

Yeah, that's right... I listen to industrial. Got a fuckin problem with
that? I didn't think so.

-j0sh-

Apr 14, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/14/96
Prince Vermillion wrote:

> In article <4knkta$4...@dfw-ixnews6.ix.netcom.com>,
> abo...@ix.netcom.com(Yang Lim ) wrote:
>
> > I'm sort of new to industrial music. I was looking through
> > IndustrialnatioN #12 and I saw all this stuff about stores that sell
> > "industrial clothing." My question is, what's industrial clothing? I
> > mean, I know it involves boots, but what else? I'm about the only
> > person at my school who likes industrial, so I have no idea how
> > industrial fans dress.
>
> Dress however you want to dress. No scene can tell you what you *have* to
> wear. Go to a club in a Victorian dress with a big poofy hat, for all I
> care. But if you must know what the average is, try dark clothing, with
> Doc Martens.

uh...well, i think i almost agreed with you rite up to this point...Doc
Martens are shit!...go to an army-navy store if you want boots...they
will last longer and cost less than Doc's...

uh wait, why do i even want to get involved in a iscussion about fashion
anyways?...shit...

-j0sh-

Terje Karlsen

Apr 14, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/14/96

In article <4knkta$4...@dfw-ixnews6.ix.netcom.com>, abo...@ix.netcom.com(Yang Lim ) writes:
> I'm sort of new to industrial music. I was looking through
> IndustrialnatioN #12 and I saw all this stuff about stores that sell
> "industrial clothing." My question is, what's industrial clothing? I
> mean, I know it involves boots, but what else? I'm about the only
> person at my school who likes industrial, so I have no idea how
> industrial fans dress.

Yepp. You found some new music, and now you have to find some new clothes.

I just hate when that happens to me....

To Riva Ranchen.

Jonas Henriksson

Apr 14, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/14/96
In article <4knkta$4...@dfw-ixnews6.ix.netcom.com>,

abo...@ix.netcom.com(Yang Lim ) wrote:
>I'm sort of new to industrial music. I was looking through
>IndustrialnatioN #12 and I saw all this stuff about stores that sell
>"industrial clothing." My question is, what's industrial clothing? I
>mean, I know it involves boots, but what else? I'm about the only
>person at my school who likes industrial, so I have no idea how
>industrial fans dress.

Does anybody else get flashbacks to a thread from about a year or so back?
That one really went out of proportions...

Anyway, to answer your question: there is no 'industrial look'. People who
think they have to dress any particular way to prove they're 'industrial' just
seem silly to me. It seems lots of 'industrial' fans wear combat boots,
leather jackets, t-shirts with band names, shave their heads etc. Go for that
if you wish. I don't. My 'look' is just plain (albeit usually dark) clothes. I
hate logos. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find decent clothes these
days without some stupid print all over it?

Oh, and I've never worn combat boots either. They don't fit my feet very well
:P

/h-son

-------------------------------------------+--------------------
email: jonas.he...@lu.erisoft.se | "The future is not
www : http://www.ludd.luth.se/users/h-son | what it used to be"
-------------------------------------------+--------------------
Any views expressed above are my own, not those of my employer.

Miha Tomsic Mike

Apr 14, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/14/96
Hello!

> You must go out to the junk yard and find pieces ov metal
> that fit your body nicely and weld them together.. and
> then spray paint the number 23 on to the front..
> always were dark sunglasses and talk about startinggggggggg
> a new fascist government in america..

Why is number 23 so special? (no flames please, I am fresh... :)

Bye, Mike...

Miha Tomsic Mike Miha....@fmf.uni-lj.si IRC:Haefftoo
C. na postajo 55 Mike-ikh
1351 Brezovica pri Lj. Tel.: +386-61-653-373 ikh
SLOVENIA
************** LUGOS - Linux Users Group of Slovenia *************

Heretic Werdna

Apr 15, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/15/96
In article <4kqs38$q...@antares.lu.erisoft.se>,

Jonas Henriksson <jonas.he...@lu.erisoft.se> wrote:
>In article <4knkta$4...@dfw-ixnews6.ix.netcom.com>,
> abo...@ix.netcom.com(Yang Lim ) wrote:
>>I'm sort of new to industrial music. I was looking through
>>IndustrialnatioN #12 and I saw all this stuff about stores that sell
>>"industrial clothing." My question is, what's industrial clothing? I
>>mean, I know it involves boots, but what else? I'm about the only
>>person at my school who likes industrial, so I have no idea how
>>industrial fans dress.
>
>Does anybody else get flashbacks to a thread from about a year or so back?
>That one really went out of proportions...

You mean the haircut one? Yes it did...at the end, I think people
started writing posts saying 'you are an idiot' just because so many
other people were.

>Anyway, to answer your question: there is no 'industrial look'. People who
>think they have to dress any particular way to prove they're
>'industrial' just
>seem silly to me. It seems lots of 'industrial' fans wear combat boots,
>leather jackets, t-shirts with band names, shave their heads etc. Go for that
>if you wish. I don't. My 'look' is just plain (albeit usually dark)
>clothes.

Well, I basicly agree w/ you, but on the other hand (gotta be a
devil's advocate, I guess) industrial music does (did?) have an
aesthetic of sorts that concerns itself with exceeding the boundaries
of what is normally considered 'music'.

When people take that and start applying it to other areas of their
life - a good thing in my opinion, preconceptions are made to be
violated - and start for example dressing like they're homeless (to
use a phrase that friends have used to describe yours truly) that's
their choice. However, there are people who start dressing like that
because they think 'hey i'm into industrial and other people into
industrial dress like this, so i'm going to dress like this.'

This is a bad thing because instead of 'violating a preconception'
they're just making one.

So which one describes me? Beats me. Probably both. Such is
reality, practice is not as feasible as theory (fuck you Kant).

>hate logos. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find decent clothes these
>days without some stupid print all over it?

YES! I try avoid them like the plague, unless it's something I'm
reasonably sure is going to be meaningless to almost everyone. Why
should I turn myself into an ad for a band, even if it's something I
like? I mean, someone listening to a band because they saw someone
else wearing a fucking tshirt with it is pretty pathetic. And I don't
dress in the way that I do to make other people say, 'hey he listens
to industrial music.' Why would I want to restrict other people's
impression of myself by something so superficial as the clothes I'm
wearing? Let them have an impression of me because of how I act in
general and not because of how I dress.

>Oh, and I've never worn combat boots either. They don't fit my feet very well
>:P

I'm sorry. I love my combats. :(

>/h-son
>
>-------------------------------------------+--------------------
>email: jonas.he...@lu.erisoft.se | "The future is not
>www : http://www.ludd.luth.se/users/h-son | what it used to be"
>-------------------------------------------+--------------------
>Any views expressed above are my own, not those of my employer.

Heretic Werdna
almu...@midway.uchicago.edu

ps. to Yang...keep reading the 'zines. IN is biblical (as in
'bible-like' not as in 'judeo-christian'). Oh, and about
clothes...the best strategy I've found is wear what you like and looks
good (if you care about that part). If fashion must be an art form,
make it one that expresses you, not the crowd you are in/trying to get
into/idolize/whatever. Clothes won't (shouldn't?) get you there.

"Philosophy teaches us to feel uncertain about the things that seem to us
self-evident. Propaganda, on the other hand, teaches us to accept as
self-evident matters about which it would be reasonable to suspend our
judgement or to feel doubt." - Aldous Huxley, _Brave New World Revisited_

--
"Philosophy teaches us to feel uncertain about the things that seem to
us self-evident. Propaganda, on the other hand, teaches us to accept
as self-evident matters about which it would be reasonable to suspend
our judgement or to feel doubt." - Aldous Huxley

Mike Benedetti

Apr 15, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/15/96
SolVenT <Sl...@madison.k12.wi.us> writes:
>abo...@ix.netcom.com(Yang Lim ) wrote:
>>I'm sort of new to industrial music. I was looking through
>>IndustrialnatioN #12 and I saw all this stuff about stores that sell
>>"industrial clothing." My question is, what's industrial clothing? I
>>mean, I know it involves boots, but what else? I'm about the only
>>person at my school who likes industrial, so I have no idea how
>>industrial fans dress.
>Fashion is all in our heads and/but these are a few things I have
>noticed(and like always, feel free to flame me if any of you wish).
>Combat boots, work boots, military pants, jeans, leather jackets, trench
>coats, military jackets, band shirts, alot of black, spikes, chains,
>band patches, goth stuff, punk stuff, raver stuff, leather stuff, ....
>but then again, the majority of us look somewhat "normal" or even geeky.
>Basically most of the stuff I have listed is stuff that I wear or used
>to wear. It has little to do with industrial music but I don't really
>care.

Last night my "industrial" band played a show. If industrial is as industrial
does, here's what you could wear:

Our bassist wore: a halter top, jeans, black boots
I wore: a "CWRU Mousetrap-Car Engineering Contest 1991" t-shirt with jeans
Drummer: some nice, button-down shirt and jeans
Percussionist: some t-shirt from this high school he went to in Japan
The guy who sat in on guitar: a pure punk outfit, t-shirt from some sleazy
band, ripped army pants, studded belt and studded wristband
The horn player: a home-made tie-dye and slacks (he'd just returned from
a chamber music concert he was playing in and didn't have time to change into
something truly industrial)

The moral of my story? If you have to ask what "industrial people" wear, you're
missing the point. Your fashion choices should be your own, furthering your own
agenda as effectively as possible. In our case, the agenda was "I'm not going to
dress up like a moron just to make me look more legit."

Mike Benedetti, keyboards, vocals, and guitars
--
The women all liked Robert, he was a good looking boy, and after he got good
enough to perform, I used to tell him "When a gal pats you on the shoulder and

Stuart McAndrew

Apr 15, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/15/96
Yang Lim wrote:

> I'm sort of new to industrial music. I was looking through
> IndustrialnatioN #12 and I saw all this stuff about stores that sell
> "industrial clothing." My question is, what's industrial clothing? I
> mean, I know it involves boots, but what else? I'm about the only
> person at my school who likes industrial, so I have no idea how
> industrial fans dress.

Well, I've never seen anyone who I could say was into industrial from
what they wore - except the odd NIN t-shirt.

For me, the music reminded me of darkness, and cyberpunk (I'm an avid
roleplayer, BTW).

To be honest I'm more of a metal dressed man, but I'm I'm starting to
get a kit together that say "Hey, I'm a cyberpunk".

Here's what it consists of:

1) Long sleeve, black T-shirt (NIN or Misery Loves Co - can't find any
others except Pitchshifter and Scorn from Earache).

2) Doc Martins, with the FLA logo painted on one boot and the NIN sin
logo on the other boot. It's quite smart - people ask me what they
mean, and I can explain them. It shows interest at clubs and gigs. And
yes, I hand painted them myself, the Docs are old anyway.

3) A pair of jet-black combat trousers. Only got 'em last weekend.

I plan on getting a trenchcoat when the money appears, and a good pair
of shades. Maybe some black studded wrist bands and stuff.

For people about to flame: I really hate walking down a street and
"fitting in". This was my idea of what makes me stand out in my town,
while I have a (excedingly) boring haircut. I could go skinhead, but I
don't think the work would appreciate it. No earrings, nose rings et
all. To be honest I think an electric blue mohawk would be cool, but
I'd be on the dole, and that is far from cool.
--
Stu
*Scots, wha hae wi Wallace bled *

Jonas Henriksson

Apr 15, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/15/96
In article <Dpw07...@midway.uchicago.edu>,

almu...@woodlawn.uchicago.edu (Heretic Werdna) wrote:
>In article <4kqs38$q...@antares.lu.erisoft.se>,
>Jonas Henriksson <jonas.he...@lu.erisoft.se> wrote:

>>Does anybody else get flashbacks to a thread from about a year or so back?
>>That one really went out of proportions...

>You mean the haircut one? Yes it did...at the end, I think people
>started writing posts saying 'you are an idiot' just because so many
>other people were.

That too, but before that there was an 'industrial clothes' thread. (Probably
several, depending on how far back you'd go.)

>When people take that and start applying it to other areas of their
>life - a good thing in my opinion, preconceptions are made to be
>violated - and start for example dressing like they're homeless (to
>use a phrase that friends have used to describe yours truly) that's
>their choice. However, there are people who start dressing like that
>because they think 'hey i'm into industrial and other people into
>industrial dress like this, so i'm going to dress like this.'
>
>This is a bad thing because instead of 'violating a preconception'
>they're just making one.

True. Or at least - I agree.

>>hate logos. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find decent clothes these
>>days without some stupid print all over it?
>
>YES! I try avoid them like the plague, unless it's something I'm
>reasonably sure is going to be meaningless to almost everyone. Why
>should I turn myself into an ad for a band, even if it's something I
>like? I mean, someone listening to a band because they saw someone
>else wearing a fucking tshirt with it is pretty pathetic. And I don't
>dress in the way that I do to make other people say, 'hey he listens
>to industrial music.' Why would I want to restrict other people's
>impression of myself by something so superficial as the clothes I'm
>wearing? Let them have an impression of me because of how I act in
>general and not because of how I dress.

And even worse: why should I advertise that I wear this or that particular
clothes manufacturer's pants or shirt? Why should I pay EXTRA money for an
ugly logo, promoting something that really annoys me? Oh, how I hate the world
of advertising...

>>Oh, and I've never worn combat boots either. They don't fit my feet very
>>well :P

>I'm sorry. I love my combats. :(

That's your choice.

/h-son (again)

Cykophuk

Apr 15, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/15/96
David Kent (haz...@potomac.net) wrote:

: Yang Lim wrote:
: >
: > I'm sort of new to industrial music. I was looking through
: > IndustrialnatioN #12 and I saw all this stuff about stores that sell
: > "industrial clothing." My question is, what's industrial clothing? I
: > mean, I know it involves boots, but what else? I'm about the only
: > person at my school who likes industrial, so I have no idea how
: > industrial fans dress.

: The industrial look is almost exactly the same as the cyberpunk look.

: Lots of black. Boots are a must. Attitude is a definite requirement...

: Yeah, that's right... I listen to industrial. Got a fuckin problem with
: that? I didn't think so.

oooohhh, your soooo industrial. scary too!
(BTW "attitude" only lets the world know your not old enough to
get into the club with your own ID)
--
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
<< Chicago's own D.J. Cykophuk - cyko...@ripco.com >>

Sarah J Frankel

Apr 15, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/15/96
Stuart McAndrew (R23...@email.sps.mot.com) wrote:
: Yang Lim wrote:
SNIp!!!

: Well, I've never seen anyone who I could say was into industrial from

: what they wore - except the odd NIN t-shirt.

The odd NIN shirt? What the hell are you talking about? Maybe the
dancefloors at the clubs you frequent don`t flood when NIN comes on
either. This isn`t "underground", this is the norm.

[...]

If you don`t want to fit in, then why all the NIN stuff? I grind my
teeth everytime I see "Trent" at a club. You know who I`m talking about,
black hair, black clothes, NIN shirt,pale and tortured looking. Maybe if
everyone took a little more time to be themselves there wouldn`t be
ridiculous threads like
this. :

Stuart McAndrew

Apr 15, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/15/96
Cykophuk wrote:

> David Kent (haz...@potomac.net) wrote:

> : Lots of black. Boots are a must. Attitude is a definite requirement...
>
> : Yeah, that's right... I listen to industrial. Got a fuckin problem with
> : that? I didn't think so.
>
> oooohhh, your soooo industrial. scary too!
> (BTW "attitude" only lets the world know your not old enough to
> get into the club with your own ID)

Well what do you do/wear then, cyko? I mean all black immediately gets
people a little freaked (if they admit it or not) and being a total
in-their-face wanker puts them off. Or gets you stabbed/shot/bottled.

Hell, if everybody into "Industrial" was to say stuff like "Yeah, so
what?" we'd quickly have a cult following of the sad little neds who
are currently into tekno. Which I *really* don't want happen.

I wear black for the freaky effect it has on people, and cos I like it.
I don't act a wanker. If someone asks me what music I'm into, I'll say
industrial and explain it to them. If they start acting like an
arsehole I chin them. Simple as that.

Stuart McAndrew

Apr 15, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/15/96
Sarah J Frankel wrote:

> Stuart McAndrew (R23...@email.sps.mot.com) wrote:

> : Well, I've never seen anyone who I could say was into industrial from
> : what they wore - except the odd NIN t-shirt.
>
> The odd NIN shirt? What the hell are you talking about? Maybe the
> dancefloors at the clubs you frequent don`t flood when NIN comes on
> either. This isn`t "underground", this is the norm.

Maybe, I'm not American, and maybe NIN isn't the norm in Britain. Maybe
ALL Industrial is Underground here (and I hate that title) and people
*cannot* get their hands on other stuff - as I stated.

> : For people about to flame: I really hate walking down a street and
> : "fitting in". This was my idea of what makes me stand out in my town,
> : while I have a (excedingly) boring haircut. I could go skinhead, but I
> : don't think the work would appreciate it. No earrings, nose rings et
> : all. To be honest I think an electric blue mohawk would be cool, but
> : I'd be on the dole, and that is far from cool.
>
> If you don`t want to fit in, then why all the NIN stuff? I grind my
> teeth everytime I see "Trent" at a club. You know who I`m talking about,
> black hair, black clothes, NIN shirt,pale and tortured looking. Maybe if
> everyone took a little more time to be themselves there wouldn`t be
> ridiculous threads like
> this.

I *really* don't want to start a flame war here. I don't consider
myself "tortured" by any manner or means. I have good friends, and I
have a good time when I'm out with those friends. Some are Chili's
fans, some are Metallica fans and most are Nirvana/ Oasis fans. They
didn't have a clue as to what Industrial was before I let them hear it,
and neither did I before I heard NIN.

And I would hardly say that's a lot of NIN stuff. A 2 inch logo on my
boot and a T-shirt I sometimes wear. As for the logo's, NIN are far
from my favourite band, but people can recognise it, and it *IS* a
pretty cool logo.

Considering the most Industrial I get at the clubs is usually a quick
spin or two of "Head like a Hole" or "Closer" the NIN is justified.
Why am I justifying myself to you anyway?

Brian E Steele

Apr 15, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/15/96
heee hee hee hee... people who think they are all hip on industrial
clothing as a means of communicating with other people involved with
the music may happen more than i imagine...

too bad some of them look down on someone who (me) wears a cheesy late
eighties helloween shirt and baggy sweat pants because I feel good in
it.

a speck of dust with that sense of humor in a huge mansion only gets it
though.. is it worth the pain?

tell me, industrial fans.

Eric Pierce

Apr 15, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/15/96
In <4kpoea$i...@news.ysu.edu> bi...@yfn.ysu.edu (Brian T. Richardson)
writes:

> You must go out to the junk yard and find pieces ov metal
> that fit your body nicely and weld them together.. and
> then spray paint the number 23 on to the front..
> always were dark sunglasses and talk about startinggggggggg
> a new fascist government in america..
>

>brian, Police Kill Man to Stop Suicide!

Brian???Thoughtcrime? Is it you? If so, this is Reptilian! HELLO!

-lakdfjlak

Eric Gottesman

Apr 15, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/15/96
Richard 23 of Front 242.

Rachel Kleinman

Apr 15, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/15/96
In article <Pine.LNX.3.91.960414154508.792G-100000@AltaMarea>, Miha Tomsic
Mike writes:

> Hello!
>
>> You must go out to the junk yard and find pieces ov metal
>> that fit your body nicely and weld them together.. and
>> then spray paint the number 23 on to the front..
>> always were dark sunglasses and talk about startinggggggggg
>> a new fascist government in america..
>
>Why is number 23 so special? (no flames please, I am fresh... :)
>
> Bye, Mike...

> Miha Tomsic Mike Miha....@fmf.uni-lj.si IRC:Haefftoo
> C. na postajo 55 Mike-ikh
> 1351 Brezovica pri Lj. Tel.: +386-61-653-373 ikh
> SLOVENIA
>************** LUGOS - Linux Users Group of Slovenia
*************
Answer: Richard 23 (Front242).....Virus23.....Just to name 2.
-back to the Industrial look..... Army Pants, boots, concert
tea....BORING.... I prefer classic fetish.... Vinyl, fishnet, lingerie,
leather, restraining devices, collars, leashes, etc. Much more fun and lots
of room to create originality.
-Rach

David Kent

Apr 16, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/16/96
recently I wrote:

>> Lots of black. Boots are a must. Attitude is a definite
>> requirement...

> Cykophuk wrote:
>
> (BTW "attitude" only lets the world know your not old enough to
> get into the club with your own ID)

hmm... My real ID says I was born in 1971. Do the math. Don't tread.

Druid

Apr 16, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/16/96
I said it once, and I'll say it again. Get a copy of Front 242's 8 x 10
Integration. Watch the "Headhunter" video. Dress like J.L. De Meyer.

Druid

--
======================The Philadelphia Electro Society===============

Paul Santa Clara - Founder, President, and only member.

The pain is gone, the war is won!
Soldiers on the field, their body parts I dealed
...Body parts for sale, Body parts for sale...
:Wumpscut: from "Body Parts"

Marika Kahle

Apr 16, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/16/96
to s32...@student.uq.edu.au
> : mean, I know it involves boots, but what else? I'm about the only
> : person at my school who likes industrial, so I have no idea how
> : industrial fans dress.

Some friends of mine who do an industrial publication turn up in anything
from Sarongs to yellow pyjamas. I don't think clothing is that
important, I believe music is the main focus in industrial "culture" -
but that is only my opinion

i am the cow

Apr 16, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/16/96
In a technologically induced stupor, Mike Benedetti flatly stated:

>Last night my "industrial" band played a show. If industrial is as industrial
>does, here's what you could wear:

i liked your accordian player. he ruled.

for those of you who don't believe me, i kid you not. the show was pretty
cool, especially the psuedo-accordian smashing part.

jim

SolVenT

Apr 16, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/16/96
Well, this thread got really fucked up. So far ppl have managed to act
like if someone is pale and wearing a nin shirt they are a poser, if you
look at all industrial you are probably not being yourself, you need
additude to be "industrial", and other such statements. Fuck all that.
Don't assume things. Be yourself and respect others. Do what you want to
do just don't judge ppl so much.

JoN

Persona Non Grata

Apr 16, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/16/96
I personally was drawn to the industrial "scene" by its distinct LACK of
specific fashion. As a recovering goth, it was nice to get away from the
lots 'o expensive clothing & misc. crap= coolness equation. My dress is
low-maintenace, and I personally ABHOR band t-shirts (except for my
ancient, ratty Siouxsie shirt thats too unbearably soft to part with)
because its like a lame advertisement: "Look at me! Accept me! I listen
to cool music!" Before you flame, keep in mind that i used to be
ridiculously goth, so I speak from both sides of the coin.
Think comfortable, folks. Image means nothing.

MEDIAWRENCH

Apr 16, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/16/96
On Apr 16, 1996 10:04:50 in article <Re: industrial clothing?>, 'Marika

Kahle <s32...@student.uq.edu.au>' wrote:

>> : mean, I know it involves boots, but what else? I'm about the only
>> : person at my school who likes industrial, so I have no idea how
>> : industrial fans dress.

I don't mean to offend but that statement is really juvenile. Wear what
ever the hell you want. Why label yourself with the way you dress? Keep 'em
guessing and be your own person for chist sake.

--
**LD-50 - MediaWrench Productions**
http://home.navisoft.com/mediawrench

LOgre2'3 [(NOH-mad);AEp-maHn]

Apr 16, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/16/96
Eric Pierce (erpi...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: Brian???Thoughtcrime? Is it you? If so, this is Reptilian! HELLO!

Ya gotta love family reunions.

--
LOgre2'3

DeDMaN-PokeweeD

Apr 16, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/16/96
Persona Non Grata <ca...@columbia.edu> wrote:
>low-maintenace, and I personally ABHOR band t-shirts (except for my

I don't understand why a lot of people here on R.M.I. seem to be
opposed to wearing band shirts. I can understand why you wouldn't want to
wear a lable like "Gap" or "NIN" whatever, who really don't care whether
or not you support their company since, even if you don't, a trillion
other sheep do. If you like a band, what is wrong with supporting them?
I'm sure everyone here is smart enough to know that the reason MOST bands
make shirts is to spread their name around. Although there are
exceptions, they don't do it because their trying to make it in the
fashion industry. No matter how much of a looser you think you are, there
is probably someone, somewhere who considers you cool. If your wearing a
tee-shirt from ___band, then that person is likely to check that band out.
I don't see the problem with supporting bands that need and deserve it.

DeDMaN--PokeweeD
Bth...@umbc.edu
http://gl.umbc.edu/~bthomp1/PokeweeD.html

Mike Hell

Apr 16, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/16/96
abo...@ix.netcom.com(Yang Lim ) wrote:

>I'm sort of new to industrial music. I was looking through
>IndustrialnatioN #12 and I saw all this stuff about stores that sell
>"industrial clothing." My question is, what's industrial clothing? I

>mean, I know it involves boots, but what else? I'm about the only
>person at my school who likes industrial, so I have no idea how
>industrial fans dress.

Just wear anything with a Kontrol Faktory logo on it. :)

David A. Scott

Apr 16, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/16/96
In <317216...@email.sps.mot.com> Stuart McAndrew

<R23...@email.sps.mot.com> writes:

>Well, I've never seen anyone who I could say was into industrial from
>what they wore - except the odd NIN t-shirt.

Come on. Everybody knows that Industrial musicians all wear bibbed
overalls and day-glo orange flipflops. And when we really go all out
for shows, we wear a brand new t-shirt from K-Mart. Probably one with a
sports logo on the front. Get with the program.

-Dave-

Jason Haas

Apr 16, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/16/96
Persona Non Grata <ca...@columbia.edu> wrote:

>I personally was drawn to the industrial "scene" by its distinct LACK of
>specific fashion. As a recovering goth,

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes! I love you, whoever you are...

Most people get better eventually. Personally, I could NOT justify
spending that much time, effort or money on clothes from the 18th
century. or many from this century, for that matter.

gimme my purple shirts and i'm happy..

--
=- jase
=- jh...@terracom.net =-= http://terracom.net/~jhaas/

"I mean, a few >'s shouldn't bother anyone whose programmed in BASIC on the Commodore 64." -- Raeven.

Ken Adams

Apr 16, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/16/96
Yang Lim (abo...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: I'm sort of new to industrial music. I was looking through
: IndustrialnatioN #12 and I saw all this stuff about stores that sell
: "industrial clothing." My question is, what's industrial clothing? I
: mean, I know it involves boots, but what else? I'm about the only
: person at my school who likes industrial, so I have no idea how
: industrial fans dress.

I would suggest bright pink t-shirts, and maybe a some nice floral print
hot pants. And lots of make-up, perferably in blue shades.

Really.

Ken Adams

Apr 16, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/16/96
SolVenT (Sl...@madison.k12.wi.us) wrote:
: oh yeah, ever hear anyone say "Fuck you, i'm industrial!!!"? hehe

Hey, I say that all the time! Well, as a joke. And "grr, industrial,
grrr, spit".

Ken Adams

Apr 16, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/16/96
Stuart McAndrew (R23...@email.sps.mot.com) wrote:
: 2) Doc Martins, with the FLA logo painted on one boot and the NIN sin
: logo on the other boot. It's quite smart - people ask me what they
: mean, and I can explain them. It shows interest at clubs and gigs. And
: yes, I hand painted them myself, the Docs are old anyway.

Hey, that's a cool idea. I may do that myself.

: I plan on getting a trenchcoat when the money appears, and a good pair
: of shades. Maybe some black studded wrist bands and stuff.

Same here, I'm saving up those paychecks for a slick pair of either
Raybans or Oakleys. I want me mirrorshades.

: For people about to flame: I really hate walking down a street and
: "fitting in". This was my idea of what makes me stand out in my town,
: while I have a (excedingly) boring haircut. I could go skinhead, but I
: don't think the work would appreciate it. No earrings, nose rings et
: all. To be honest I think an electric blue mohawk would be cool, but
: I'd be on the dole, and that is far from cool.

I used to have that problem (work doesn't allow "unusual haircuts" or
"unnatural hair colors"). Currently, my hair is in this wicked buzzcut
(not unsual...if you're on an army base) and white (hey, white is a
natural color). There's always a way to get around that kind of stuff :)

I understand the not wanting to "fit in". I do the same. I mean, usually
I'm wearing black slacks, my docs (bright green), some dark dress shirt,
and my blazer (teal/green cordaroy, makes me look like a lounge singer).
Combine that with some spiked collars/wristbands, and maybe some black
make-up, and you've got "Instant Freak". It's fun :)

Brendan

Apr 17, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/17/96
Eric Gottesman <er...@netproductions.com> wrote:
>Richard 23 of Front 242.

And Virus-23. Both of them selected it, I believe, because it's
part of some weirdo-paranoid Illuminati conspiracy thing.

Crynge

Apr 17, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/17/96
>I have no idea how industrial fans dress.

Only the TRUE industrial, dress TRUELY industrial.....
NAKED!
NAKED!
NAKED!
NAKED!
NAKED!
NAKED!
STARK NAKED and COLD in the OPEN and HUMILIATED,....now THAT'S pain.

Sunil Mishra

Apr 17, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/17/96
In article <4l2ga5$r...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> cry...@aol.com (Crynge) writes:

\\ >I have no idea how industrial fans dress.

You forgot the 30 lepers with damaged and puss oozing limbs crawling up all
around you, staring at you hungrily... Except their teeth and gums have
rotted away as well. :-)

Sunil

Yang Lim

Apr 17, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/17/96
Gee, I feel kind of sorry I started a thread all over again. Oh
well...

alessia carnevali

Apr 17, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/17/96
DeDMaN-PokeweeD (bth...@gl.umbc.edu) wrote:
: Persona Non Grata <ca...@columbia.edu> wrote:
: >low-maintenace, and I personally ABHOR band t-shirts (except for my

: DeDMaN--PokeweeD
: Bth...@umbc.edu
: http://gl.umbc.edu/~bthomp1/PokeweeD.html

i just pick up what is on my floor and put it on....

Alessia
hotbloodhuiltopticnerve

Ficken

Apr 17, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/17/96
In article <4kvcls$1...@news1.h1.usa.pipeline.com>, ld...@usa.pipeline.co says...

>On Apr 16, 1996 10:04:50 in article <Re: industrial clothing?>, 'Marika
>Kahle <s32...@student.uq.edu.au>' wrote:
>

>>> : mean, I know it involves boots, but what else? I'm about the only
>>> : person at my school who likes industrial, so I have no idea how
>>> : industrial fans dress.
>
>I don't mean to offend but that statement is really juvenile. Wear what
>ever the hell you want.

I totally agree with that: why don't you go to your school with no clothes????????????
That would be really *industrial* !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fuck clothes, hurray for the skin.

Heretic Werdna

Apr 17, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/17/96
In article <4l0b05$1...@news.umbc.edu>,

DeDMaN-PokeweeD <bth...@gl.umbc.edu> wrote:
>Persona Non Grata <ca...@columbia.edu> wrote:
>>low-maintenace, and I personally ABHOR band t-shirts (except for my
>
> I don't understand why a lot of people here on R.M.I. seem to be
>opposed to wearing band shirts. I can understand why you wouldn't want to
>wear a lable like "Gap" or "NIN" whatever, who really don't care whether
>or not you support their company since, even if you don't, a trillion
>other sheep do. If you like a band, what is wrong with supporting them?
>I'm sure everyone here is smart enough to know that the reason MOST bands
>make shirts is to spread their name around.

And the reason most people wear band tshirts is because they want to
seem cool and say to the world, Hey look at me I like this totally
great band that everybody loves/nobody loves (it doesn't really matter
as long as it's an extreme) and aren't I cool and why aren't you
idolizing me yet?

Or that's the way I see it, of course it isn't quite so obvious on the
surface, but there's still some feeling like that imo. I want nothing
of this. I hope I don't listen to industrial (or the other genres I
listen to) music because I want to gain the acceptance and/or respect
of the masses. If it is, I think I probably chose the wrong fucking
music. I'm pretty sure I listen to the music I do because it has
something to say to me. I mean, really, what kind of idiot buys a cd
because he/she saw a tshirt with the name of the group? Only the kind
of idiot that sees the tshirt everywhere and starts to think, All
these people are into this music, I should be too! This is top40
mentality, something I rejected a long time ago. I really can't
believe that even if I were to wear, say, a 16Volt shirt, there would
be anyone who would pick up Wisdom unless they knew me and respected
my opinion. And if they know me that well, they probably already know
the sorts of bands I like. No person is going to check out a band
because they see a single solitary stranger wearing a tshirt with the
name.

Like what you do, not what other people do. Choose music that says
something to you, that has a message you can identify yourself with or
any of the other ways that music speaks to you. Do not go out and buy
things that you see everywhere just because you think you're missing
out on something. Don't be afraid to try something new, but recognize
that sometimes what you pick up is going to be total shit.

>Although there are
>exceptions, they don't do it because their trying to make it in the
>fashion industry. No matter how much of a looser you think you are, there
>is probably someone, somewhere who considers you cool.

Yeah, well, we'd all like to believe this, wouldn't we?

>If your wearing a
>tee-shirt from ___band, then that person is likely to check that band out.

See above for why both this argument is shoddy as well as why I would
have no respect for someone who did this.

> I don't see the problem with supporting bands that need and deserve it.

This is the trickiest area, imo, as I'm aware that tshirts are also a
area of support for struggling bands; what I've come up with at the
end is: Support bands by buying their music. If they want to become
graphic designers, buy their product because it's cool, not because
they put their name on it.

There's also the fact that I just hate the idea of making myself into
a walking billboard, even for a product I like.

> DeDMaN--PokeweeD
> Bth...@umbc.edu
> http://gl.umbc.edu/~bthomp1/PokeweeD.html

I'm not trying to be confrontational here, just succinct; if I came
off as antagonistic, I apologize. Also, I should probably mention
just how much of a hypocrite I am. Right now, I'm wearing a Kafka
tshirt under my overshirt, with a single sentence from The
Metamorphosis (read this book!). Can't get much more poser than that,
now can you?

Later,

heretic werdna
almu...@midway.uchicago.edu
--
"Philosophy teaches us to feel uncertain about the things that seem to
us self-evident. Propaganda, on the other hand, teaches us to accept
as self-evident matters about which it would be reasonable to suspend
our judgement or to feel doubt." - Aldous Huxley

ficken

Apr 17, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/17/96
In article <4kpela$1o...@news.doit.wisc.edu>, kbuc...@students.wisc.edu says...

My question is, what's industrial clothing? I
>>mean, I know it involves boots, but what else? I'm about the only
>>person at my school who likes industrial, so I have no idea how
>>industrial fans dress.
>

>BLACK black....it's all black! :)
>
>kelly

Well Kelly, I do have a friend who happens to be black, and he
loves Industrial *music* , but he never wears clothes, you see?

He's already black! HA HA HA HA!!!!

Hold on to what's yours...

David Fernandez

Apr 17, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/17/96
to R23...@email.sps.mot.com
> Yang Lim wrote:
> >
> > I'm sort of new to industrial music. I was looking through
> > IndustrialnatioN #12 and I saw all this stuff about stores that sell
> > "industrial clothing." My question is, what's industrial clothing? I

> > mean, I know it involves boots, but what else? I'm about the only
> > person at my school who likes industrial, so I have no idea how
> > industrial fans dress.

Hi,

In Spain is more or less the same, but people tend to wear raincotas (as
goths) in many case, and things are turning quickly into a cyberpunk look,
with chips on the clothes and things like that.

Bye.

davi...@redestb.es

Andrew Clegg

Apr 17, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/17/96
In article <paulsc-1504...@philly232.voicenet.com>, Druid
<pau...@omni.voicenet.com> writes

>I said it once, and I'll say it again. Get a copy of Front 242's 8 x 10
>Integration. Watch the "Headhunter" video. Dress like J.L. De Meyer.

I still think he looks cooler in Funkhadafi. Oh, and if you want to be
really brave, dance like they do at the start of Quite Unusual.

Andrew.

"What's the matter, Eddie, does it frighten you?"
"Frighten me? No, Frank, I think 'startle' is a better word."

Skarekroe

Apr 17, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/17/96
:>I said it once, and I'll say it again. Get a copy of Front 242's 8 x 10

:>Integration. Watch the "Headhunter" video. Dress like J.L. De Meyer.

i tried to grow a biker mustache to look like i was in revco, but my
facial hair just doesn't work that way. :(

sk

Armageddon

Apr 18, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/18/96
In article <Dpwn0...@rci.ripco.com>, cyko...@ripco.com (Cykophuk) wrote:
>David Kent (haz...@potomac.net) wrote:

>: Yang Lim wrote:
>: >
>: > I'm sort of new to industrial music. I was looking through
>: > IndustrialnatioN #12 and I saw all this stuff about stores that sell
>: > "industrial clothing." My question is, what's industrial clothing? I
>: > mean, I know it involves boots, but what else? I'm about the only
>: > person at my school who likes industrial, so I have no idea how
>: > industrial fans dress.
>
>: The industrial look is almost exactly the same as the cyberpunk look.
>: Lots of black. Boots are a must. Attitude is a definite requirement...

First, as I recall, cyberpunk deals with literature, not fashion...but oh
well. Just doesn't matter in this age of EmTVness..I guess.

Second, industrial is (like anything) whatever the hell you want it to
be. I wear torn up jeans and a turtleneck (yellow at that!) with san-
dals, I guess that makes me 'non-industrial'. Whatever is comfort-
able *to you*. It doesn't matter what you wear. Be yourself, be an
individual. It's your mind which defines you. Nothing else. *bonk*

>: Yeah, that's right... I listen to industrial. Got a fuckin problem with
>: that? I didn't think so.

Attitude. Way too much of that. And for no reason. Doesn't
solve a damn thing. Study a bit of history and you'll see this.

>oooohhh, your soooo industrial. scary too!
>(BTW "attitude" only lets the world know your not old enough to
>get into the club with your own ID)

Attitude says, I want people to notice me, because I don't have
anything else going on. Anything to prove thyself. IMHO.

Put it another way: the coolest people you'll ever meet are the
ones who *don't* have attitudes. They're comfortable enough
with themselves and others around them that they have no
need for it.

--br

Mark Beeson

Apr 18, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/18/96
Stuart McAndrew (R23...@email.sps.mot.com) wrote:
// To be honest I'm more of a metal dressed man, but I'm I'm starting to
// get a kit together that say "Hey, I'm a cyberpunk".
// 1) Long sleeve, black T-shirt (NIN or Misery Loves Co - can't find any
// 2) Doc Martins, with the FLA logo painted on one boot and the NIN sin
// 3) A pair of jet-black combat trousers. Only got 'em last weekend.
// I plan on getting a trenchcoat when the money appears, and a good pair
// of shades. Maybe some black studded wrist bands and stuff.

Congratulations: this isn't "cyberpunk". If you're going for a true
cyberpunk/techno-dadaism look, you need at least:

1. A pager, preferably alphanumeric, at best two-way.
2. A cellular phone, preferably one that has been hacked to use
someone else's id.
3. A palmtop (HP, Newton, whatever).
4. Your own mini-sampler, to carry around and sample various
sounds from the world around you.
5. Mirrorshades.

--Mark
--I don't give fashion advice
--
Mark Beeson http://www.nin.com http://www.smg.org

"Jesus built my snowboard."
Contributed by Christine Bomke (hi Christine!)

Jamie Blackman

Apr 18, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/18/96
I have been listening to "industrial music" since around 1984, and have
gone thru punk, gothboy, and new waver guy phazes in that time period.
Currently I favour comfortable jeans, a nice buttondown shirt, the
occaisional tweed, a comfortable sweater, and loafers or docs. Now of
course I'll always dust off my leather and wear a bandshirt for the
shows... mainly because I get sick of the looks and comments I'd get from
people who have some set notion of what "Industrial People" should wear.
The fashion has nothing to do with the music, and as I have cabvol and
skinny puppy vinyl from '84, I would seriously challenge anyone who would
say I am not "industrial" because of the fact that as i write this I am
wearing a buttondown from LL Bean and extremely preppy Doc Marten
ankleboots.

The fashion is irrelevant. Collective identity sucks, and as a note on
the Coil homepage says.... don't make it easy for people to dismiss you
in a sentence.

-JB

Charles K. Hunt

Apr 18, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/18/96

>>abo...@ix.netcom.com(Yang Lim ) wrote:
>>I'm sort of new to industrial music. My question is, what's >>industrial clothing?

>mike...@netcom.com (Mike Hell) wrote:
>Just wear anything with a Kontrol Faktory logo on it. :)

or, "Just wear anything with a HATE DEPT. logo on it."

--

Charles K. Hunt
c...@exo.com

Rev. Ammonia D.

Apr 18, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/18/96
abo...@ix.netcom.com(Yang Lim ) wrote:
>Gee, I feel kind of sorry I started a thread all over again. Oh
>well...

Well,I ALWAYS wear my Arts Industria Tshirt, even to Friday nights
Black Mass at the Reformed Church of Satan(for a kinder gentler Hell on Earth),
or when I am justy lounging around at the Methadone Clinic, sipping Perrie'.

Discalimer: The above is an example of biting sarcasum(oohhh, big word) and is an attempt
to ridicule tired stereotypes such as industrial musicans are all Heroin addicted Satanist(where most of us
are Caffeen addicted Stanlinist) and morally bankrupt readers of smutty magazines(well, that part is true).
Anyway, get the Tshirt from Arts Industria. It looks real kewl....

--
The Rev. <earth...@skyenet.net>

MANHOLE VORTEX (Opiate of the masses, and you thought it was T.V)
Arts Industria's new CD of underground industrial acts.
CONSTRUCTION # 009.$10+postage Email me for details.
Visit the AI website: http://www.synet.net/sonic-boom/ai/ai.html

"What happens if I refuse"
"You die, the girl dies...everybody dies.".... Heavy Metal

Susannah

Apr 18, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/18/96
ma...@nin.com (Mark Beeson) wrote:

>Congratulations: this isn't "cyberpunk". If you're going for a true
>cyberpunk/techno-dadaism look, you need at least:
>
>1. A pager, preferably alphanumeric, at best two-way.
>2. A cellular phone, preferably one that has been hacked to use
> someone else's id.
>3. A palmtop (HP, Newton, whatever).
>4. Your own mini-sampler, to carry around and sample various
> sounds from the world around you.
>5. Mirrorshades.
>
>--Mark
>--I don't give fashion advice
>--
>Mark Beeson http://www.nin.com http://www.smg.org
>
>"Jesus built my snowboard."
>Contributed by Christine Bomke (hi Christine!)

You know, Mark, you forgot the most important part of the outfit, there:
The Tshirt that says: The Internet is full. Go Away!
Or would that be geek wear, not to be confused with cyberpunk wear?
Is there even a difference?
I like the idea of charteuse being the industrial clothing color better,
mayself.

-=3D-Susannah!-=3D-
***
I am a wlaking screaming hell
a thing of torture to behold
this vivisection splits my soul
a thing of torture to behold....

=1A

Skarekroe

Apr 18, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/18/96
:5. Mirrorshades.

i still don't understand why cyberpunks still insist mirrorshades are
cool. i mean, really, i stopped wearing mine in 1991 and i was LATE
understand!

for industrial sunglasses, see sascha konietzko's. not the mirrorshade
ones (as best seen in xforces's 2nd album) but the giant black metal
things (as best seen in the black box). i tried on a pair, but they
didn't work for me, and were heavy.

sk

Eric Gottesman

Apr 18, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/18/96
I think people are way too worried about seeming materialistic, even to
themselves. I wear what I think looks like I want to look, and expresses
my beliefs to a degree. I dress so that when people look at me, their
first reaction is what I want it to be. I generally have some old boots,
black jeans, a black t-shirt over a long sleeve black mesh kind of a
thing, and a whole bunch of rubber and leather bracelets. I don't know if
it's industrial, I don't really care... But it's how I want people to see
me. If someone I don't know sees that and goes "weirdo... I don't want to
talk to him," or worse "fag, I don't want to talk to him," well then I
don't want to talk to them either. It eliminates judgemental idiots from
the scope of people I have to deal with.

David Kent

Apr 19, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/19/96
Jamie Blackman wrote:
-- some stuff left out here --

> The fashion has nothing to do with the music, and as I have cabvol and
> skinny puppy vinyl from '84, I would seriously challenge anyone who
> would say I am not "industrial" because of the fact that as i write
> this I am wearing a buttondown from LL Bean and extremely preppy Doc...

Ok, I was followin ya there for a little while... BUT LL BEAN!?!? Ack!
I'm sorry but I wouldn't leave the house wearing anything from LL Bean.
Ok... I take that back... maybe if you had an LL Bean jacket dyed black
with the sleeve cuffs cut off (even better... burnt off) and paint
splotches all over it... Maybe that would be wearable ;)

Geoffrey Matters

Apr 19, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/19/96
Stuart McAndrew <R23...@email.sps.mot.com> writes:

>2) Doc Martins, with the FLA logo painted on one boot and the NIN sin

>logo on the other boot. It's quite smart - people ask me what they
>mean, and I can explain them. It shows interest at clubs and gigs. And
>yes, I hand painted them myself, the Docs are old anyway.

But which logo should be on which shoe? I asked my friend, and she said the
the FLA logo should go on the right shoe, so that when you look at them, they
are more balanced that way. But I think, when you look at them from someone
else's point of view, they would be the opposite of when they are on your feet.
Anway, I need to figure this out soon, cuz I need to paint my docs before I go
to the Kontrol Factory on friday night. I am afraid I will paint them on
backwards, and then they will be ruined.

Jester

Apr 19, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/19/96
I've shied away from commenting on this read for several personal reasons,
(I have no fashion sense, nor any desire to ever have any) but the time
has come to make a few comments.

For the most part, I treat clothes as a utility. I wear boots to shows
because after one too many pits of having my feet crushed, it dawned
on me that boots were the best way to protect my feet. I wear t-shirts
with industrial bands on them because I run a music magazine, and
everywhere I go, I am trying to drum up support for these bands. If
acting like a billboard is going to further this genre, then so be it.
I wear jeans to protect my legs...having once attended a concert in shorts
and ending up with bruises that could have been prevented by a single
layer of clothing was enough to change my mind. I also tend to wear
a slightly worn out NATO jacket as well, for the pockets. I always tend
to walk into a show with much more than I came in with for a variety of
reasons. I hate looking like more of a idiot than I already am by carrying
various magazines, pamphlets, CD's, tapes around in my hands.

So in the end I try and color coordinate just a little, and that
ends up all black. Hrm, guess that must make me a rivethead, o darn.
Never exchange form for function, and if function happens to
mirror form, then by all means go for it, I most certainly do.

Jester
--
PGP PUBLIC KEY available upon request
Sonic-Boom - The Net Industrial/EBM/Goth/CyberCulture Music Review Zine

Mike Benedetti

Apr 19, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/19/96

The FLA logo _always_ goes on the left shoe, as they are the more progressive
of the two bands. What kind of a moron poser are you if you don't know that?
Get off the net, pal.

Here's an interesting variation and application of the same style:

When I go clubbing (and want to look really industrial), I wear birkenstocks
with the straps undone, with "NIN" painted inside the front strap (so you can
see it when they're undone), and "FLA" painted inside the rear strap. That way,
people I'm talking to will see the lamer strap first, but they've already met
me and will know I'm cool. But people who are looking around will see the cooler
strap first, so they will say "oh there's a cool dude to talk to".

I think you'll find that if you follow your "friend" 's advice on the logos that
you will get a lot of dirty looks in the clubs.

Mike Benedetti

Sarah J Frankel

Apr 19, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/19/96
I usually show up in boots(so my feet don`t get stomped), shorts(so I
don`t sweat to death, and a T-shirt I don`t want anymore(in case it gets
destroyed). I guess my point is if you like your clothing, don`t wear it
in the pit.

Geoffrey Matters

Apr 19, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/19/96
bene...@ugcs.caltech.edu (Mike Benedetti) writes:

>Mike Benedetti

What the hell are you talking about? FLA is not the more "progressive" of the two. If it should go on the left shoe (and i'm not eVen sure it should), it should go there because it comes first in the alphabet. How you can even claim that FLA is more progressive, when they are relying on a sound they stole from the people who paved the road for industrial music, such as trent reznor, i dont even know. Wake up and smell industrila ,buddy. I must say, however, that I agree with your logic about NIN insid
e the front strap and FLA inside the back. I will be painting my birks this afternoon. However, I am still waiting for sound advice before I paint my docs.

-geoff

i am the cow

Apr 20, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/20/96
In a technologically induced stupor, Geoffrey Matters flatly stated:

>Anway, I need to figure this out soon, cuz I need to paint my docs before I go
>to the Kontrol Factory on friday night. I am afraid I will paint them on
>backwards, and then they will be ruined.
>

>>When I go clubbing (and want to look really industrial), I wear birkenstocks
>>with the straps undone, with "NIN" painted inside the front strap (so you can
>>see it when they're undone), and "FLA" painted inside the rear strap. That way

>>people I'm talking to will see the lamer strap first, but they've already met

>>me and will know I'm cool. people who are looking around will see the cooler

>>strap first, so they will say "oh there's a cool dude to talk to".

if you want to be super cool, you wait to go to kontrol faktory until
after 11:30, cause they don't play that kmfdm stuff, front 242's headhunter,
or i sit on acid (l of a) until at least then. if you go earlier, they
play that weird stuff that no one's ever heard before or knows.

and mr. benedetti, i've seen your birkenstocks, and i though "that dude
must be a real loser because he doesn't have nin on his sandals"

but i did think the rubber band chains were the best part of your motif.

i'm glad they mixed rob cobb's job (stale urine, the 90's industrial band)
onto i sit on acid.

;-) (laughing)

jim

SolVenT

Apr 20, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/20/96
->Here's an interesting variation and application of the same style:
->
->When I go clubbing (and want to look really industrial), I wear birkenstocks
->with the straps undone, with "NIN" painted inside the front strap (so you can
->see it when they're undone), and "FLA" painted inside the rear strap. That way,
->people I'm talking to will see the lamer strap first, but they've already met
->me and will know I'm cool. But people who are looking around will see the cooler
->strap first, so they will say "oh there's a cool dude to talk to".

Ahhh, are you serious?

JoN

ShadowRing

Apr 21, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/21/96
In article <4kuuie$4...@ran.zipnet.com>, beeh...@sim.zipnet.com (Ken
Adams) writes:

>Yang Lim (abo...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
>: I'm sort of new to industrial music. I was looking through
>: IndustrialnatioN #12 and I saw all this stuff about stores that sell
>: "industrial clothing." My question is, what's industrial clothing? I
>: mean, I know it involves boots, but what else? I'm about the only
>: person at my school who likes industrial, so I have no idea how
>: industrial fans dress.
>

>I would suggest bright pink t-shirts, and maybe a some nice floral print
>hot pants. And lots of make-up, perferably in blue shades.
>
>Really.

I am sorry, but I believe that the dress code that you have given applies
more to goth than industrial. There is not much of a difference however
as industrial gear requires flashy silver pants instead of floral print
hot
pants.

Jamie Blackman

Apr 21, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/21/96

n (are...@nyc.pipeline.com) wrote:

: Answer: Richard 23 (Front242).....Virus23.....Just to name 2.
: -back to the Industrial look..... Army Pants, boots, concert
: tea....BORING.... I prefer classic fetish.... Vinyl, fishnet, lingerie,
: leather, restraining devices, collars, leashes, etc. Much more fun and lots
: of room to create originality.
: -Rach

Um, DUH!

You did not answer the question, you simply mentioned two of the
manifestations of the phenomenon that caused the original poster to ask
the question. -JB

Mike Hell

Apr 21, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/21/96
are...@nyc.pipeline.com (Rachel Kleinman) wrote:

>-back to the Industrial look..... Army Pants, boots, concert
>tea....BORING.... I prefer classic fetish.... Vinyl, fishnet, lingerie,
>leather, restraining devices, collars, leashes, etc. Much more fun and lots
>of room to create originality.

Oh S&M gear is really original. Wow! I've never seen anyone wear
that stuff before....

Mike Hell

Apr 21, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/21/96
jpi...@ugcs.caltech.edu (i am the cow) wrote:

>if you want to be super cool, you wait to go to kontrol faktory until
>after 11:30, cause they don't play that kmfdm stuff, front 242's headhunter,
>or i sit on acid (l of a) until at least then. if you go earlier, they
>play that weird stuff that no one's ever heard before or knows.

I agree. Why in the fuck would anyone want to hear that crapy musik
like SPK, Throbbing Gristle and Whitehouse when they can hear
pop-gutiar-kmfdm-nin stuff?!?!? :)

Mike Hell

Apr 21, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/21/96
ge...@ugcs.caltech.edu (Geoffrey Matters) wrote:

>Anway, I need to figure this out soon, cuz I need to paint my docs before I go
>to the Kontrol Factory on friday night. I am afraid I will paint them on

Errr, since when has Kontrol faktory moved to FRIDAY night?!?!?!?

Iamyou666

Apr 22, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/22/96
i first heard about the "mystic" implications of 23 in the books of the
illuminatus(sp?)somthing to do with it appering everywhere and effecting
all....but with all subplots and diversions its hard to understand what
they meant.....

Jason Haas

Apr 22, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/22/96
Skarekroe said:

>i still don't understand why cyberpunks still insist mirrorshades are
>cool. i mean, really, i stopped wearing mine in 1991 and i was LATE
>understand!

i wanted to get some implanted after reading Neuromancer... heh..

>for industrial sunglasses, see sascha konietzko's. not the mirrorshade
>ones (as best seen in xforces's 2nd album) but the giant black metal
>things (as best seen in the black box). i tried on a pair, but they
>didn't work for me, and were heavy.

i'm still bound to these damn regular glasses, though my vision's getting
better. yes kids, i can now see about _SEVEN_ inches clearly! woowoo! I
dunno. If I could wear sunglasses, and they didn't have to be
prescription, I'd probably just stock up on some cheapo $5 ones from
Walgreens. I don't have the money to spend on honkin' industrial glasses!
:D Lose one and be out about $50.

sascha, me thinks, also has the kind of face and head that looks good with
the round glasses. and the mohawk. he's pretty cool like that, y'know?

--
=- jase!
=- jh...@terracom.net -=- http://terracom.net/~jhaas/ ΕΊ

"Two smelly amines found in rotting flesh: putrescine [NH2-(CH2)4-NH2] and cadaverine, [NH2-(CH2)5-NH2]"

Skarekroe

Apr 22, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/22/96
:>>2) Doc Martins, with the FLA logo painted on one boot and the NIN sin
:>>logo on the other boot.

if nin and fla can live together on this guys boots, why can't they live
together in this newsgroup?
:p

sk

Jonathan Watson

Apr 22, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/22/96

Stuart McAndrew

Apr 23, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/23/96

Actually, they don't. I have problems trying to get the NIN boot on in
under 5 minutes ;).

NIN and FLA arn't even my favourite Industrial bands, they just have
cool logo's that look good when painted white on black.

--
Stu
R23...@email.sps.mot.com

michael taylor

Apr 23, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/23/96
In <4kuuls$4...@ran.zipnet.com> beeh...@sim.zipnet.com (Ken Adams)
writes:

>SolVenT (Sl...@madison.k12.wi.us) wrote:
>: oh yeah, ever hear anyone say "Fuck you, i'm industrial!!!"? hehe
>

>Hey, I say that all the time! Well, as a joke. And "grr, industrial,

>grrr, spit".

gee, I would say you are just plain boring...I would insult you some
more...yaaaawn...but you are just too boring.

phoe...@applewize.com

Apr 24, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/24/96

R2>> I'm sort of new to industrial music. I was looking through
R2>> IndustrialnatioN #12 and I saw all this stuff about stores that sell
R2>> "industrial clothing." My question is, what's industrial clothing? I
R2>> mean, I know it involves boots, but what else? I'm about the only
R2>> person at my school who likes industrial, so I have no idea how
R2>> industrial fans dress.

R2>Well, I've never seen anyone who I could say was into industrial from
R2>what they wore - except the odd NIN t-shirt.

You've never seen the Einsturzende Neubauten logo? Henry Rollins has
it tatooed somewhere on that huge neck of his. It's the only thing
related to industrial music I would even consider wearing, because it's
so subtle.

R2>For me, the music reminded me of darkness, and cyberpunk (I'm an avid
R2>roleplayer, BTW).

R2>To be honest I'm more of a metal dressed man, but I'm I'm starting to
R2>get a kit together that say "Hey, I'm a cyberpunk".

Why bother showing it off if you know you're better than everyone else?

R2>Here's what it consists of:

R2>1) Long sleeve, black T-shirt (NIN or Misery Loves Co - can't find any
R2>others except Pitchshifter and Scorn from Earache).

The Gap sells black T-shirts for $9.99. Blue ones too. I just bought
a couple.

R2>2) Doc Martins, with the FLA logo painted on one boot and the NIN sin
R2>logo on the other boot. It's quite smart - people ask me what they
R2>mean, and I can explain them. It shows interest at clubs and gigs. And
R2>yes, I hand painted them myself, the Docs are old anyway.

If the rabid we're-so-industrial-and-cyberpunk FLA fans don't eat you
alive first.

R2>3) A pair of jet-black combat trousers. Only got 'em last weekend.

Well, the same pair of corduroys has worked every day since December.

R2>I plan on getting a trenchcoat when the money appears, and a good pair
R2>of shades. Maybe some black studded wrist bands and stuff.

R2>For people about to flame: I really hate walking down a street and
R2>"fitting in". This was my idea of what makes me stand out in my town,

I don't fit in. I wear the same thing every day. I tend to be pretty
dirty (seeing as how I go to an all male school, hygiene doesn't bother
us much, and as far as I can see highly attractive women don't mind as
long as I clean up on the weekends). I'm happy enough with who I am,
no need to show it off others. It's why when I walk into a club and
request haujobb or wumpscut, I get asked, "What's with the shirt, man?"
It's also why I don't go to clubs.

R2>while I have a (excedingly) boring haircut. I could go skinhead, but I
R2>don't think the work would appreciate it. No earrings, nose rings et
R2>all. To be honest I think an electric blue mohawk would be cool, but
R2>I'd be on the dole, and that is far from cool.

--
{AppleWize OnLine... Member of the Global Network Co-Op}
{....TradeWars.....Mutants!.....TeleArena.....BladeMaster and More....}

Stuart McAndrew

Apr 24, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/24/96
phoe...@applewize.com wrote:

> R2>Well, I've never seen anyone who I could say was into industrial from
> R2>what they wore - except the odd NIN t-shirt.
>
> You've never seen the Einsturzende Neubauten logo? Henry Rollins has
> it tatooed somewhere on that huge neck of his. It's the only thing
> related to industrial music I would even consider wearing, because it's
> so subtle.

I've only seen Rollins in a couple of films, I really wouldn't have
noticed. He's in Johhny Mnemonic isn't he? I still need to get that
out.. (and find the soundtrack for that matter... is it any good?)

> R2>To be honest I'm more of a metal dressed man, but I'm I'm starting to
> R2>get a kit together that say "Hey, I'm a cyberpunk".
>
> Why bother showing it off if you know you're better than everyone else?

This has been said before. Mostly because:
1) I *like* black. I like the image it conveys. I was wearing a lot
of black anyway.

2) Nothing freaks people out more. In Glasgow, you need that unlees
you want stabbed or you want top be a normal.

> R2>2) Doc Martins, with the FLA logo painted on one boot and the NIN sin
> R2>logo on the other boot. It's quite smart - people ask me what they
> R2>mean, and I can explain them. It shows interest at clubs and gigs. And
> R2>yes, I hand painted them myself, the Docs are old anyway.
>
> If the rabid we're-so-industrial-and-cyberpunk FLA fans don't eat you
> alive first.

Too late! It's alright oustide RMI though - nobody I've met has heard
FLA before. I'm waiting for the night when somebody says to me "NIN and
FLA?" then punches me!

Anyone out there looking for some inspiration try Cyberpunk:2020 or
Shadowrun book art. Some of the outfits are class.

Zorin

Apr 26, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/26/96

In article <Dq2Hx...@iquest.net>,

Rev. Ammonia D. <earth...@skyenet.net> wrote:
>abo...@ix.netcom.com(Yang Lim ) wrote:
>>Gee, I feel kind of sorry I started a thread all over again. Oh
>>well...
>

>Well,I ALWAYS wear my Arts Industria Tshirt, even to Friday nights
>Black Mass at the Reformed Church of Satan(for a kinder gentler Hell on Earth),
>or when I am justy lounging around at the Methadone Clinic, sipping Perrie'.
>

>Discalimer: The above is an example of biting sarcasum(oohhh, big word)

Man!, forget the clothes and buy a really cool dictionary. Sarcasm is not
as big a word as you think :)

As far as industrial fashion goes, I don't think there's a norm.
I have a personaly taste for black surplus army gear, and YES I AM
WEARING A KMFDM T-SHIRT ON MY WEBSITE PICTURE. No, I'm not wearing it so
people think I'm cool (obviously since they're not widely known anyhow),
I'm wearing it hoping people will ask me what it is, so I can
turn them on to some real quality music. If industrial music finally
catches on, I may actually have a reason to send out my demo :-]

BTW I'd stay away from S&M stuff like dog collars and the like, unless
you really want people thinking you're a fag. Does this make me
conservative, like old people? Not exactly...

-Adam

Adam Smith "Third Rail" Current K2000-Pong Score: 96
<smi...@mailbox.syr.edu>
Syracuse University
Dept. of Electrical Engineering
Audio Signal Processing (DSP) and other fun stuff

*Music Producer* - Soling http://web.syr.edu/~smithab/ThirdRail.html

Andrew Clegg

Apr 26, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/26/96

In article <4l5rb0$1p...@core.bard.edu>, Jamie Blackman <jb...@bard.edu>
writes
>I have been listening to "industrial music" since around 1984, and have
>gone thru punk, gothboy, and new waver guy phazes in that time period.
>Currently I favour comfortable jeans, a nice buttondown shirt, the
>occaisional tweed, a comfortable sweater, and loafers or docs.

No offense meant (well, not much) but I think dressing this boringly
goes way beyond music! Have some flair, make an impression, don't blend
in -- these is the sort of rules of thumb I adhere to. I repsect people
who have similar attitudes, whether they dress 'industrial' or 'punk' or
'goth' or 'techno' or whatever.

Andrew.

"What's the matter, Eddie, does it frighten you?"
"Frighten me? No, Frank, I think 'startle' is a better word."

NP: Shriekback -- Sexthinkone [Natural History]

Andrew Clegg

Apr 26, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/26/96

In article <4kt4md$1...@antares.lu.erisoft.se>, Jonas Henriksson
<jonas.he...@lu.erisoft.se> writes
>And even worse: why should I advertise that I wear this or that particular
>clothes manufacturer's pants or shirt? Why should I pay EXTRA money for an
>ugly logo, promoting something that really annoys me? Oh, how I hate the world
>of advertising...

Recently I went shoppping for a plain black long-sleeved t-shirt. The
only ones I could find were almost twice the price of the ones with
Fruit Of The Loom or whoever logos on. In the end I gave up and got a
Suspiria shirt which was even cheaper than the FOTL ones.

Andrew.

"What's the matter, Eddie, does it frighten you?"
"Frighten me? No, Frank, I think 'startle' is a better word."

NP: Shriekback -- Evaporation [Natural History]

Andrew Clegg

Apr 26, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/26/96

In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.960416...@namaste.cc.columbia
.edu>, Persona Non Grata <ca...@columbia.edu> writes
>I personally was drawn to the industrial "scene" by its distinct LACK of
>specific fashion. As a recovering goth, it was nice to get away from the
>lots 'o expensive clothing & misc. crap= coolness equation. My dress is
>low-maintenace, and I personally ABHOR band t-shirts (except for my
>ancient, ratty Siouxsie shirt thats too unbearably soft to part with)
>because its like a lame advertisement: "Look at me! Accept me! I listen
>to cool music!"

I don't consider this the point of wearing band shirts. The main reason
I like band shirts is to help make contact with other fans. In such a
diverse genre you often can't tell an industrial fan at first look,
something like a Skinny Puppy shirt can help. Outside of clubs, it's
very hard to find oher fans here.

Also I think the artwork on the shirts is often quite nice...

Andrew.

"What's the matter, Eddie, does it frighten you?"
"Frighten me? No, Frank, I think 'startle' is a better word."

NP: Shriekback -- A Kind Of Fascination [Natural History]

Robb Cunningham

Apr 27, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/27/96

Zorin wrote:

> BTW I'd stay away from S&M stuff like dog collars and the like, unless
> you really want people thinking you're a fag.

people who are into sex are fags? interesting....

--
Robb Cunningham
iceo...@smartlink.net

"The music of the future is not music." - Environments compilation

"Noise is annoying when you try to ignore it; fascinating when you listen to
it." - John Cage

"It's not what you play, it's what you're plugged into." - Seefeel

"Death metal can only go so far in being brutal, and the Japanese noise bands
can reduce them to nothing in five seconds" - Bill Yurkiewicz

"Are you ready? We need some discipline in here!" - Gen P.O.

Robb Cunningham

Apr 27, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/27/96

Andrew Clegg wrote:

> In article <4kt4md$1...@antares.lu.erisoft.se>, Jonas Henriksson
> <jonas.he...@lu.erisoft.se> writes
> >And even worse: why should I advertise that I wear this or that particular
> >clothes manufacturer's pants or shirt? Why should I pay EXTRA money for an
> >ugly logo, promoting something that really annoys me? Oh, how I hate the world
> >of advertising...
>
> Recently I went shoppping for a plain black long-sleeved t-shirt. The
> only ones I could find were almost twice the price of the ones with
> Fruit Of The Loom or whoever logos on. In the end I gave up and got a
> Suspiria shirt which was even cheaper than the FOTL ones.

really? I went to goodwill and got a plain black long sleeve T-shirt for $3.

Robb Cunningham

Apr 27, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/27/96

Andrew Clegg wrote:

> In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.960416...@namaste.cc.columbia
> .edu>, Persona Non Grata <ca...@columbia.edu> writes

> >low-maintenace, and I personally ABHOR band t-shirts (except for my

> >ancient, ratty Siouxsie shirt thats too unbearably soft to part with)
> >because its like a lame advertisement: "Look at me! Accept me! I listen
> >to cool music!"

> I don't consider this the point of wearing band shirts. The main reason
> I like band shirts is to help make contact with other fans. In such a

I wear band T-shirts because I like bands. What other reason do you need?

pete23

Apr 28, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/28/96

Jonathan Watson writes:
<nothing>

You'd think that with a copy of the tin 1.3 beta, he'd do better than that.
--
pete23, reality on demand

"A legacy so far removed, one day will be improved;
eternal rights we left behind, we were the better kind."

michael weeks

Apr 28, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/28/96

: > >low-maintenace, and I personally ABHOR band t-shirts (except for my

: > >ancient, ratty Siouxsie shirt thats too unbearably soft to part with)
: > >because its like a lame advertisement: "Look at me! Accept me! I listen
: > >to cool music!"

: > I don't consider this the point of wearing band shirts. The main reason
: > I like band shirts is to help make contact with other fans. In such a

this is a good point...
i met a good friend last semester as he was wearing an einstuerzende
neubauten shirt... pr'olly wouldnt have met him save for that...

(hi matt)

mike

--
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-#############-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
michael weeks>>>>>>>>>>>>>>| listen with pain...ears are wounds <<<<<<<<<<<
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-############-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
.......coming this summer.. the sky was a sea of frequencies...........
-

-
End of network mail

Shaken Angel

Apr 30, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM4/30/96

Robb Cunningham (iceo...@smartlink.net) wrote:
: Zorin wrote:

: > BTW I'd stay away from S&M stuff like dog collars and the like, unless
: > you really want people thinking you're a fag.

: people who are into sex are fags? interesting....

I think what the original poster meant was that a lot of the people into
heavy S&M fetish stuff are of "alternative lifestyles".

Dig it?

-- sa / a

Zorin

May 1, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM5/1/96

In article <3182A9...@smartlink.net>,

Robb Cunningham <iceo...@smartlink.net> wrote:
>Zorin wrote:
>
>> BTW I'd stay away from S&M stuff like dog collars and the like, unless
>> you really want people thinking you're a fag.
>
>people who are into sex are fags? interesting....

No Robb, you're absolutely right :) I didn't mean to condemn normal bedroom
practices, or bash homosexuals. All I'm trying to say is that if people
wear this 'gear' outside of the bedroom, 99.99% of Americans' first
reaction will be "Hey, check out the Gimp!"

Personally, I'd like to think I'm a little more understanding that the
other 99.99%, but honestly if I saw something really extreme, like a guy
being led around on a leash (or some such thing) I'd probably at least
think 'exhibitionist'.

-A

Andrew Clegg

May 2, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM5/2/96

In article <4l0b05$1...@news.umbc.edu>, DeDMaN-PokeweeD
<bth...@gl.umbc.edu> writes

>Persona Non Grata <ca...@columbia.edu> wrote:
>>low-maintenace, and I personally ABHOR band t-shirts (except for my
>
> I don't understand why a lot of people here on R.M.I. seem to be
>opposed to wearing band shirts. I can understand why you wouldn't want to
>wear a lable like "Gap" or "NIN" whatever, who really don't care whether
>or not you support their company since, even if you don't, a trillion
>other sheep do. If you like a band, what is wrong with supporting them?

The other good reason for wearing a band shirt is to advertise the fact
that you like them. While that may seem at first glance to be
desperately uncool, think of small towns where there is no industrial
scene and industrial fans are very hard to find.

Here in Guildford I know two industrial fans and one of them's me. If
there are others, I want to know about it, and I damn well want them to
know about me! In the absence of a distinctive dress style like many
other genres have, band t-shirts are a great way to identify those with
similar tastes.

I know I've said all that before -- probably many times -- but I don't
like being thought of as a 'sheep' or a 'poser' or a 'walking advert'
when there are good reasons for wearing band merchandise.

Andrew.

"What's the matter, Eddie, does it frighten you?"
"Frighten me? No, Frank, I think 'startle' is a better word."

NP: The Mission -- Bridges Burning [God's Own Medicine]

Andrew Clegg

May 2, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM5/2/96

In article <318312...@smartlink.net>, Robb Cunningham
<iceo...@smartlink.net> writes

>> Recently I went shoppping for a plain black long-sleeved t-shirt. The
>> only ones I could find were almost twice the price of the ones with
>> Fruit Of The Loom or whoever logos on. In the end I gave up and got a
>> Suspiria shirt which was even cheaper than the FOTL ones.
>
>really? I went to goodwill and got a plain black long sleeve T-shirt for $3.

Dunn what Goodwill is but we don't have it here. The only ones I could
find were ones with fashion-label insignia on, or thicker sweater-type
ones, and I was looking in the shops that are normally good for that
sort of thing -- army surplus/outdoorwear shops and so on. *I* thought
it was strange too.

ObIndustrial: Erm, no, sorry, can't think of anything.

Andrew.

"What's the matter, Eddie, does it frighten you?"
"Frighten me? No, Frank, I think 'startle' is a better word."

NP: The Mission -- Stay With Me [God's Own Medicine]

Andrew Clegg

May 2, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM5/2/96

In article <318313...@smartlink.net>, Robb Cunningham
<iceo...@smartlink.net> writes

>Andrew Clegg wrote:
>>
>> I don't consider this the point of wearing band shirts. The main reason
>> I like band shirts is to help make contact with other fans. In such a
>
>I wear band T-shirts because I like bands. What other reason do you need?

I like Newcastle Brown Ale but I wouldn't wear a Newcastle Brown Ale t-
shirt.

Andrew.

"What's the matter, Eddie, does it frighten you?"
"Frighten me? No, Frank, I think 'startle' is a better word."

NP: Demented Are Go -- Rubber Rock

Skarekroe

May 4, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM5/4/96

:I like Newcastle Brown Ale but I wouldn't wear a Newcastle Brown Ale t-
:shirt.

why not?

sk

Andrew Clegg

May 6, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM5/6/96

In article <4mh21c$h...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, Skarekroe
<skar...@aol.com> writes

>:I like Newcastle Brown Ale but I wouldn't wear a Newcastle Brown Ale t-
>:shirt.
>
>why not?

I just think there's something intrinsically jock-ish about wearing a t-
shirt with your favourite alcoholic beverage on. Rather like wearing
football colours or something. Admittedly Newky Brown has industro-cred
because Pigface like it...

I might consider making an exception in the case of Guiness
*occasionally* but only because the t-shirts (some of them) are quite
stylish.

Andrew.

"What's the matter, Eddie, does it frighten you?"
"Frighten me? No, Frank, I think 'startle' is a better word."

NP: Christian Death -- Spiritual Cramp

Ugliest

May 7, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM5/7/96

Andrew Clegg (Sur...@warpfive.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: In article <318313...@smartlink.net>, Robb Cunningham

: <iceo...@smartlink.net> writes
: >Andrew Clegg wrote:
: >>
: >> I don't consider this the point of wearing band shirts. The main reason
: >> I like band shirts is to help make contact with other fans. In such a
: >
: >I wear band T-shirts because I like bands. What other reason do you need?

: I like Newcastle Brown Ale but I wouldn't wear a Newcastle Brown Ale t-
: shirt.

*pauses*

Hmm...I might be inclined to wear a Pete's Wicked Winter Brew shirt...

-t

--
It's good to use Microsoft products sometimes -- it reminds you of the
superiority of their Borland counterparts.

ugl...@via.net - http://www.via.net/~ugliest
music links, fates warning tab

Andrew Clegg

May 10, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM5/10/96

In article <4mof53$5...@mustang.via.net>, Ugliest <ugl...@via.net>
writes

>: I like Newcastle Brown Ale but I wouldn't wear a Newcastle Brown Ale t-
>: shirt.
>
>*pauses*
>

>Hmm...I might be inclined to wear a Pete's Wicked Winter Brew shirt...

Okay, who's up for a "Beer vs. Lager" or "What does PILSNER stand for?"
thread?

Ehren A. Fickersher

May 15, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM5/15/96

>Okay, who's up for a "Beer vs. Lager" or "What does PILSNER stand for?"
>thread?

>Andrew.
>
>"What's the matter, Eddie, does it frighten you?"
>"Frighten me? No, Frank, I think 'startle' is a better word."

stout is all that counts

ehren

Jamie Blackman

May 20, 1996, 3:00:00β€―AM5/20/96

Ehren A. Fickersher (cde...@cabell.vcu.edu) wrote:
: >Okay, who's up for a "Beer vs. Lager" or "What does PILSNER stand for?"
: >thread?

: ehren

Um, I do not know where you live, but it was about 27 C/90 F here today,
and that means it's getting a bit too hot for stout. Why not try a nice,
crisp pale ale?... or, perhaps, some Newcastle... the official beer of
Pigface. Bass will always end the subject of beer for me, though.

-JB