Terms IDM and Rivethead

Gabi

Sep 7, 2001, 1:40:32 PM9/7/01
What is the meaning of this terms?????????

Josh Hammonds

Sep 7, 2001, 2:05:05 PM9/7/01
"Gabi" <ggam...@clientes.euskaltel.es> wrote in message

> What is the meaning of this terms?????????

IDM = Intelligent Dance Music, such as Aphex Twin or Autechre.

Rivethead = A person who listens to industrial music and, generally,
subscribes to industrial "culture".

Josh Hammonds
np: Buck Tick - Heroin
---
jos...@aol.com
><]]]*>
Rivethead Extraordinaire
"When I grow up, I want to be a Transformer."

Chris O'Brien [Veni Vidi Exii]

Sep 7, 2001, 2:57:46 PM9/7/01
On the ashes of polka music everywhere, "Josh Hammonds" <jos...@aol.com>
swore unto me:

>IDM = Intelligent Dance Music, such as Aphex Twin or Autechre.

Origin comes from the Artificial Intelligence compilations, which can be
pointed to as the beginning of the trend by occupying the first slot in
Warp's "Artificial Intelligence" series which included Aphex Twin, et al.

>Rivethead = A person who listens to industrial music and, generally,
>subscribes to industrial "culture".

Coined by Chase, as a play on the term for construction workers.
--
-@exii
#rmipeople / DALnet

<Amoeba> Old enough to shave, old enough for Dayv.

saffro...@yahoo.com

Sep 7, 2001, 3:30:56 PM9/7/01
In article <9nb12s$p38$1...@news.wanadoo.es>, Gabi says...

>What is the meaning of this terms?????????

Yeah...what Chris and Josh said. :)

In addition, the term "rivethead" is actually used pretty infrequently. Fans of
industrial music--I mean industrial, not your standard distorted dance/synthpop
on Metropolis--tend to have pretty eclectic tastes, and thus this term isn't
applied to them because it would imply some kind of pidgeonholing. Therefore,
the term itself has, at least to me, become a kind of oxymoron, so be suspicious
when it is used, especially as a self-label.

-jlgero

Unter Null

Sep 7, 2001, 6:59:04 PM9/7/01
"Gabi" <ggam...@clientes.euskaltel.es> wrote in message news:<9nb12s$p38$1...@news.wanadoo.es>...
> What is the meaning of this terms?????????

IDM- intelligent dance music

rivetheads- overused term. didn't it come from an AC/DC song
originally or some similar cawkrawk band?

of course, then there is RDM- retarded dance music.

-Erica

http://www.mp3.com
http://www.mp3.com/semotus_vita
http://www.mp3.com/exesum
http://www.geocities.com/diein_afire

Josh Hammonds

Sep 7, 2001, 7:06:12 PM9/7/01
"Unter Null" <ekg_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> rivetheads- overused term. didn't it come from an AC/DC song
> originally or some similar cawkrawk band?

There's also a ChemLab song called Rivethead...

Josh Hammonds
np: Buck Tick - Iconoclasm

Zombie Commando [raisinlove]

Sep 7, 2001, 7:29:03 PM9/7/01
> In addition, the term "rivethead" is actually used pretty infrequently.
Fans of
> industrial music--I mean industrial, not your standard distorted
dance/synthpop
> on Metropolis--tend to have pretty eclectic tastes, and thus this term
isn't
> applied to them because it would imply some kind of pidgeonholing.
Therefore,
> the term itself has, at least to me, become a kind of oxymoron, so be
suspicious
> when it is used, especially as a self-label.

That is so very true. I refer to myself as an "Artist". This way I can be
pretentious, occasionaly look weird, be late, break rules and always use my
status as an "Artist" as my excuse.
And you know what? It doesnt even work.

Now people dont actually call themselves rivetheads but people dont mind
calling "the others" as rivetheads when referring to fans of industrial
music as I've noticed. Rivethead does make for a neat comic book name
however. Is it taken?

Another silly term is "industrialist". When I think industrialist I think of
a middle-aged man in a tie and a white construction hat looking upon the
future site of his tire factory.

-steph
www.raisinlove.com

rezinluv @ gashed.com
webmaster @ mutemag.com
webmaster @ drawnandquarterly.com
webmaster @ artoffact.com
webmaster @ elam.qc.ca

"Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics - even if
you win, you're still a retard"

goatleg2

Sep 7, 2001, 7:41:02 PM9/7/01

"Unter Null" <ekg_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> http://www.mp3.com

quick question, why link to mp3.com?

--
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-goatleg2 -.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)
| Loki Ambrodious Von Esling
| now_playing: nothing
|
| http://www.livejournal.com/users/goatleg2 <- Journal
|
| Christ's Dog died for your dog's sins.
---

eschaton

Sep 7, 2001, 10:02:09 PM9/7/01

Unter Null wrote:

> "Gabi" <ggam...@clientes.euskaltel.es> wrote in message news:<9nb12s$p38$1...@news.wanadoo.es>...
> > What is the meaning of this terms?????????
>
> IDM- intelligent dance music
>
> rivetheads- overused term. didn't it come from an AC/DC song
> originally or some similar cawkrawk band?

I think it was manowar, if I remember correctly.

Unter Null

Sep 8, 2001, 2:10:01 AM9/8/01
"goatleg2" <goat...@mediaone.net> wrote in message news:<9nblt9$6lkb2$1...@ID-51819.news.dfncis.de>...

> "Unter Null" <ekg_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

> > http://www.mp3.com
>
> quick question, why link to mp3.com?
>
> > http://www.mp3.com/semotus_vita
> > http://www.mp3.com/exesum
> > http://www.geocities.com/diein_afire

whoops.
don't be without sleep and try typing.

-Erica

http://www.mp3.com/unternull

Mark

Sep 8, 2001, 1:23:40 PM9/8/01

eschaton was all like:

"I think it was manowar, if I remember correctly."

HEAVY METAL OR NO METAL AT ALL! WIMPS AND POSERS GET OUT THE HALL!

Sorry Papos ... I just had to say it before you had the chance......