A musical family-Dr.L.Subramaniam and Kavita Krishnamurthy

Narayan

Jan 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/7/00
We are one big musical family-Dr.L.Subramaniam and Kavita Krishnamurthy

by Dr Rajiv Vijayakar

As cliched as it may sound, they are a made-for-each-other couple.
Kavita Krishnamurthy has dutifully changed her surname to Subramaniam
after marriage. Dr L Subramaniam, for his part, cannot do anything minus
his new wife's participation.

Having been recognised as one of the top violinists of our times and
having performed for fusion concerts and albums with the likes of Yehudi
Menuhin, Rampal (the French flautist), Zubin Mehta and Stephane
Grappeli, Dr L Subramaniam is now planning his future music with vocals.
He intends to form a music group called L Subramaniam, Kavita and
Friends.

"I may render just alaaps or words and some of my songs in these
concerts," reveals Kavita, who is the most-accomplished playback singer
in India, after the Mangeshkars. A household name in the film industry,
Kavita began her professional career, after extensive training, as a
dubbing artiste under Laxmikant-Pyarelal.

"As per my father's wishes, I completed my graduation before trying my
luck in films. I was introduced to Jaya Chakravorty, Hema Malini's
mother, who took me to them (L-P) as Hemaji's cousin! My first song was
Mera sheeshe ka saamaan for Chacha Bhatija, which was recorded in 1976.
I kept dubbing for them even after they gave me my first break in the
song Kaahen ko byaahi in Maang Bharo Sajna (1980)," she recalls.

Over the years, Kavita developed her skills. She was first noticed for
Tumse milkar na jaane kyoon in Pyar Jhukta Nahin (1985) and hit big time
(after hits in Love '86, Karma, Nagina and Amrit) with Hawa Hawaii in Mr
India.

And yet, despite Anu Malik's chartbuster, Julie Julie (Jeete Hain Shaan
Se) and several songs under R D Burman, Bhappi Lahiri and Anand-Milind
in particular, Kavita took seven long years after Mr India to shed the
tag of an L-P campwalli.

She finally broke through when R D Burman and Viju Sha insisted on
Kavita singing for their 1942: A Love Story and Mohra respectively. Then
followed innumerable hits over several years -- in films such as Bombay,
Khamoshi, Yaraana, Rangeela, Hindustani, Agnisakshi, Tere Mere Sapne,
Gupt, Pardes, Judwaa, Ishq, Virasat, Pyaar Kiya To Darna Kya, Duplicate,
Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Hum Saath Saath Hain, Taal and Hum Dil De Chuke
Sanam.

On a more, serious note, she had Bhairavi, Saaz and her album, Koi Akela
Kahan.

A confirmed soloist in personal life, she gave everyone a pleasant shock
by singing a matrimonial duet and declaring her November 10 marriage to
the violin impresario. This was wholly unexpected news for friends and
admirers and even those closest to her.

One could not help comparing this one with the other surprise marriage
that was revealed in the same month -- that of filmstar Madhuri Dixit.
Both have doctor husbands (Dr Subramaniam is an MBBS who left medical
practice for music) belonging to their own community with a home in the
US. Both married without breaking up homes. In fact, Kavita declares
that her own maternal instincts are fully satisfied with her husband's
four children from his previous marriage.

Dr L Subramaniam is one of the three illustrious sons of the famous
musician L Laxminarayan -- L Shankar and L Vaidyanathan (who composed
the background score for Pushpak) are his eminent violin virtuoso
brothers. "I left medicine for a full-time career in music. My father
was a keen follower of Western classical music and he exposed me to Bach
and other legends. So as a composer-musician, I developed a strong
desire to study Western music. I went abroad," he says.

Fame followed Dr Subramaniam across the seven seas as he became "one of
the five most famous violinists in the world," as quoted by his new
wife.

Happily married and settled in Los Angeles, California, his personal
life got a terrible shock when his loving wife Vijayashree developed
brain tumour and expired two years ago. "In the space of two years, he
lost his father, mother and wife! It was terrible for him!" exclaims
Kavita.

Dr Subramaniam then began shuttling between Bangalore and Los Angeles,
with his three younger children, Seeta, now 15, Raju, 11, and Ambi, 8,
while his eldest, 19-year-old Niranjani (whom Kavita is yet to meet)
staying in LA.

I meet the newly married duo at one of their recordings together, which
has now become a habit with them. Looking tired but radiant, Kavita
suggests that we talk till the doctor finishes his part of the day's
work . Seeta is also there and I later observe how closely bonded the
three are.

Excerpts from the conversation with Kavita Subramaniam.

So how did it all happen?

Dr Subramaniam was signed by Kamal Hassan to compose the music for Hey!
Ram. He then listened to tapes of several voices for the playback.
Someone gave him my cassettes and he liked my voice. I recorded his
songs and then he invited me to be a part of his Global Fusion album
that we are now recording. I went to his house and met his children and
we got along like a house on fire. They even began to call me 'Ma.'

And then?

We began missing each other when we were alone, though it took time
before I found out that it was mutual! He had never even thought about
marrying again. But this time even his kids began to hint that he should
marry again. When he asked, 'To whom?' they said the "auntie from
Bombay."

What was the first meeting like?

If you mean now, well, it was a professional meeting between a composer
and a singer. But I actually met him for the first time in 1976.

1976!...

Yes, his first wife Vijayashree Shanker was one of my closest friends. I
was one of the guests at their wedding naturally! It was a shock to me
too when she passed away because we had not been so much in touch after
she went with him to the US. She herself was a singer, in fact, she was
the backbone behind his career. They had been extremely happy together.

What was your mother's reaction?

She only wondered how I would handle my own career as well as marriage.
I had decided, as you know, that I will never marry without falling in
love! Everything was so hectic. The Sankaracharya of Kanchipuram told us
just three days before that we would either have to get married on
November 10 or wait till January. My US-based brother could not even
make it. Everything was done in a mad rush.

But music brought us together and neither of us wanted to wait. He is a
giant in his field, but he is also a simple, extremely warm human being
and his children are as much into music as both of us. We are one big
musical family!

What are your plans now?

I plan to be a big part of his music, because he wants me to be involved
in his concerts and albums. He respects film music a lot and admires
Lata Mangeshkar and Madan Mohan in particular. I will be travelling
extensively, I guess, but my base will be in Bangalore. Bharat Asher,
who was the late Panchamda's secretary, will coordinate my work here.

How will you manage the film recordings?

Obviously, I will not take up any and every song as I used to do. But
for the major assignments, well, there are four daily flights between
Bombay and Bangalore and my mother and home are here. My home in
Bangalore is a 15-minute drive from the airport in early morning
traffic. My house here is the same distance from Santa Cruz airport. The
flight takes 90 minutes. We are looking at a total of a little over two
hours, which is what it took me -- one-way -- whenever I had a recording
at Western Outdoor downtown!

Dr L Subramaniam is now free to talk, so we begin our chat.

Is there any special quality in your wife that drew you to her?

Obviously the fact that though she is such a top playback singer, she is
totally down-to-earth and almost spiritual. She is also very fond of my
children.

How filmi is she?

(Kavita interrupts, "See, how people who are supposed to be friends,
talk!)

(Dr Subramaniam smiles)As I said, I don't think success has spoilt her
at all.

Have your future musical plans, dreams and ambitions been modified or
enhanced now that she is around?

I have naturally increased my slant on vocals because she is there with
me. We are planning to have joint concerts and albums. I have my own
label called Viji Music. This album we are recording, Global Fusion, is
also for our label and Sony Music will market it.

What about films?

I have never been enamoured by films. I did score the background music
for Salaam Bombay and Mississippi Masala. I am happy in my own musical
arena.

But you were to do He Ram! What went wrong there?

Kamal Hassan approached me and I thought I would do the score. We were
to even use an Australian orchestra in one sequence. Not being
conversant with the film industry, I did not discuss money and thought
he would pay me a fair sum. Instead, he offered me a very low amount and
then spread a lot of canards about me, which hurt me more. The figure he
claimed I was asking for was a figment of his imagination. He even
implied that I wanted it deposited in my sons' bank account when they --
as eight-year-old and 11-year-old kids -- do not even want a bank
account!

He also wanted me to get Ben Kingsley for the brief role of Mahatma
Gandhi, since one of my close friends is also close to Ben. I did try on
his behalf. I also got him a specific shloka he needed by consulting the
Sankaracharya. The next thing I knew is that he has given a statement
that Sankaracharya is making an appearance in his film! How can he
demean a person of that stature this way?

Ilayaraja has re-done your four songs...

It's fine by me. Ilayaraja has learnt his ropes form my father. He was
the composer of Kamal Hassan's Marudanayagam -- I gave him respect by
turning down Kamal Hassan's offer to score the background music for its
international version. But Ilayaraja has stepped in even without
intimating me. It's okay.

Moving back to pleasant topics, you released a four-CD Anthology of
Carnatic Music a couple of years ago. Was that one dream fulfilled?

Yes, I even wrote a book called Euphony on the subject, and it was the
product of years of hard work. The anthology was released many years ago
abroad. It was only in India that it was released recently.

Naushad says that Indian violinists can easily play our ragas and mels
on violins that are essentially an alien instrument, but that Western
musicians cannot play our ragas on them. Your comments

That's a very simplistic statement. You see, whether it's Indian or
Western music, you have to study it, learn it. Even an Indian musician
cannot play a proper note without learning music.

Is there a special time when you compose your music?

Not really. (Kavita interrupts again: One thing I know is that his
boarding cards are full of notations! I was to throw away one of them
after a flight when I luckily noticed something written on it!)

Taken from rediff.com
http://www.rediff.co.in/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/TheRediffMusicShop/music_content.d2w/report?fname=0601kavi.htm

Mo2...@cs.com

Jan 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/8/00
Any more plans for Imax films ? How about Chota Chetan ?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.