RJGK-25 - Answers and Results!

Renu Thamma

Aug 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/9/95
Hi all!

The RJGK series have come a long way on this newsgroup. Abhay's comment
sums it up best - "This is really a great milestone for RMIM. And we must all
thank Sami for starting this quiz. It has gone through different phases,
and now it's a mature idea. Says a lot about this small world we have
here."

The response has been simply overwhelming, and I can only thank all
the netters for that. The idea of making the quiz relatively simpler was to
pull in the entries of a large number of rmimers who never get to participate
cos they lose out to the gurus on the net. There were a total of 47 entries!!
involving 69 participants, a record for an RJGK!

The participants in no specific order are :

1. S. Jagadish
2. Sridhar Natrajan + Manisha Nigam + Arun Verma
3. Sridhar Dittakavi
4. Pavan Kumar Desikan + U.V. Ravindra
5. Samir Ayachi
6. Avanidhar Subrahmanyam
7. Shashikant Joshi urf Pintu Diwaana
8. Ramki Krishnan + Madhav Rao
9. Renu Sah + Sujata Swaminathan
10. Ikram Ahmed Khan
11. Prince Kohli + Neeraj Malhotra
12. Manish Shah + Sadanand Sahasrabudhe
13. Namrata & Harish Patil with Sharad Chandarana
14. Preetham Gopalaswamy + Sami Mohammed
15. Senthil Kumaran Kandasamy + Ramprasad Venkatraman
16. Abhay Avachat
17. Kalyan Kolachala + Atul
18. Rahul Srivastava
19. Venkat Mantri + Rajesh Kunjithaya
20. Joydeep Bhattacharya
21. Harmesh Kaur & Surjit Singh
22. Praveen Saxena
23. A.L. Sriram
24. Balaji & Malini
25. Parul Agrawal
26. Arunabh Chowdhuri
27. Shailesh Deshpande
28. Chetan Vinchhi
29. Jayashree Shivamoggi -
30. Shoba & Madan Annavarjula
31. Neeraj Deshmukh + Swapna Gokhale + Indrani
32. Mala Acharya
33. Prashant Kulkarni
34. Srinivasan
35. Manaw Modi + Monish Aggarwal
36. Vandana & Mahesh Chaubal
37. Srinath Varadarajan Ekkad
38. Nitin Joshi
39. Lalita B.
40. Ashish Bokil
41. Ajit Dandekar + Roopa Dhawan
42. Pranav Naik + Inspiration (prefers to remain anonymous)
43. Sahadev Komaragiri
44. Sailesh Davuluri
45. Sudesh Amin
46. rta...@magna.com.au (?)
47. Srinivasaraghavan T.

If I have left out someone I am extremely sorry about that. Please do
let me know about it rightaway.

Sami, thanks to his self imposed vanvaas from rmim, chose to send in a
joint entry with Preetham. There should be a rule on rmim that once you acquire
'guru' status, you are forbidden from sending joint entries for quizzes. :)
Enough of my complaining, let me get on with the quiz.

The answer follows each set of lines, P-stats of which were provided by
Preetham, the official P-stats provider of rmim since its initiation. Then come
the comments (if any) from the participants and mine too. The overall
performance has been really good, with most people scoring above 18 on 24. I
dispensed with tie-breakers, so we do have a couple of ties.

On with the answers -

1. General -

ye judaai hi, milan hai jo ham ne dekhaa
yaadon mein aakar, tum yoonhi gaate rehnaa

(the lesser known para of a super popular song by 'the MD everyone
loves to hate' like somebody said)

Song : Chalte chalte mere yeh geet yaad rakhna, kabhi alvida na kehna
Singer : Kishore Kumar
Film : Chalte Chalte
*ring : Simi, Vikas Anand (?)
Music : Bappi Lahiri
Lyrics : Amit Khanna

Comments:

Abhay : That's hardly a good way to start :-( Common Renu, you sure know more
songs that can fit in this general category. Did Preetham bribe you
to do this ? :-) :-)

2. General -

Jhoom ke jab jab kabhi do dil gaate hain
Chaar kadam chaltein hain phir kho jaatein hain

(Plagiarism wasn't BL forte alone, as the MD of this song obviously
proved, but this was one of his best creations ever and hopefully
original too)

Song : Kya mausam hai, ae deewane dil, chal kahin door nikal jaayen
Singers : Lata Mangeshkar, Kishore Kumar, Mohammad Rafi
Film : Doosra Aadmi
*ring : Rakhee, Rishi Kapoor, Shashi Kapoor, Neetu Singh, Parikshat Sahni
Music : Rajesh Roshan
Lyrics : Anand Bakshi (?)

Comments:

(Renu) : Most people guessed the MD to be Rajesh Roshan but couldn't figure
out the actual song.

3. Rafi -

Ai shammaa tu aajaa zaraa chilman se nikalke
Hasrat hai ki reh jaoon teri aag mein jalke

(Naushad, and Shakeel together with Rafi make this one of the most
soulful solos ever)

Song : Ae husn zara jaag tujhe ishq jagaaye
Singer : Mohammad Rafi
Film : Mere Mehboob
*ring : Rajendra Kumar, Sadhana, Ameeta
Music : Naushad
Lyrics : Shakeel Badayuni

Comments:

Pavan : I rate this song amongst *THE BEST* Rafi solos *EVER*. His
voice is *dynamite* -- even the Manna from the Heavens
couldn't be sweeter. Get this song and listen to it
immediately. Now! GO!

(Renu) :After all the KKKlan bashing (not KK bashing) that the Rafians'
President Abhay does, I have to mention that he missed the
Rafi clue! :)

4. Kishore -

Saare haseen nazaare, sapnon mein kho gaye
Sar rakh ke aasmaan pe, parbat bhi so gaye

(A double treat - Kishore singing for Kishore's music)

Song : Thandi hawa yeh chaaNdni suhaani, ae mere dil suna koi kahaani
Singer : Kishore Kumar
Film : Jhumroo
*ring : Kishore Kumar, Madhubala
Music : Kishore Kumar
Lyrics : Majrooh Sultanpuri

Comments:

Abhay :Make it a triple treat, if one is watching the song. Or forget it.
It's an infinite treat, when one is watching Madhubala.

5. Duets -

Main thodi der jee to loon
Nashe ke ghoonT pee to loon

(A Sahir creation, picturized on Dev and his co-star)

Song : Abhi na jaao chhod kar ke dil abhi bharaa nahin
Singers : Asha Bhonsle, Mohammad Rafi
Film : Hum Dono
*ring : Dev Anand, Nanda, Sadhana
Music : Jaidev
Lyrics : Sahir Ludhianvi

Comments:

Abhay :I have always held the opinion that, if one has a voice like Rafi's,
charm like Devsaab's and poetry like Sahir's, then after hearing this
song, no woman on earth can say "No" :-)

(Renu) :I was particular about having a Jaidev song in the quiz. I got a lot
of comments from participants telling me that I should be murdered for
not mentioning Jaidev as part of the subclue, 'cos this is more a
Jaidev creation than a Sahir creation. Sorry guys, but the only reason
I omitted that was because the clue would become too easy! (As if it
weren't already!)

6. Lata -

Jab ham na honge tab hamaari
Khaak pe tum rukoge chalte chalte
Ashkon se bheegi chaandni mein
Ik sadaa si sunoge chalte chalte

(One of those 'combos' as Sami calls them, with Roshan and Majrooh.
Movie stars Garam-Dharam)

Song : RaheN na raheN ham mehka karenge, banke kali, banke saba..
Singer : Lata Mangeshkar
Film : Mamta
*ring : Ashok Kumar, Suchitra Sen, Dharmendra
Music : Roshan
Lyrics : Majrooh Sultanpuri

Comments:

(Renu) : This is the voice that I'd like to remember Lata by, not the 'didi
tera devar deewana' trite. (Sorry for offending HAHK! fans)

7. Mukesh -

Vo aasmaan jhuk rahaa hai zameen par
Ye milan hamne dekhaa yaheen par

(A super duper hit movie, with amazing songs, by the MD who long
deserves an RJGK credited to him.)

Song : Suhaana safar aur yeh mausam haseeN
Singer : Mukesh
Film : Madhumati
*ring : Dilip Kumar, Vyjayantimala, Pran
Music : Salil Chowdhury
Lyrics : Shailendra

8. Rahul Dev Burman -

Mere jivan ki aasha, padh le mere naino ki bhaasha
Mujhe man me basa le, pal pal palkon mein chupa le

(If you've seen this movie, it'll take you a split second to know
which song this is. If you haven't seen it yet, get it from your
'Neighbor' right now!)

Song : Mere bhole baalam/Meri pyaari bindu
Singer : Kishore Kumar
Film : PaDosan
*ring : Sunil Dutt, Kishore Kumar, Saira Banu, Mehmood
Music : R. D. Burman
Lyrics : Anand Bakshi

Comments:

(Renu) : I got tons of entries from junta who guessed just about every song
in the movie Padosan, except the above one. The most common incorrect
answer was 'ik chatur naar badi hoshiyaar' followed by 'mere saamne
waali khidki mein'. Like my clue says, if you've seen this movie once
you can't forget these lines followed by

tu jhatpat aakar chhatpat
mere andhe kuen mein deep jalaa ke
kar de ujaala, o zara kar de ujaala..

and then Kishore sings that fabulous ..

Bindu re...

9. Gulzar -

Paake bhi tumhaari aarzoo ho
Shaayad aise zindagi haseen hai

(Overlapping a single voice was RD's forte. But he did it the most,
with Gulzar's creations. I guess they both gave each other the
freedom to experiment.)

Song : Katra katra milti hai, katra katra jeene do
Singer : Asha Bhonsle
Film : Ijaazat
*ring : Naseerudin Shah, Rekha, Anuradha Patel
Music : R. D. Burman
Lyrics : Gulzar

Comments:

(Renu) :Once again, everyone figured out that this was from Ijaazat, but a lot
of people got mixed up about the song itself. 'Chotisi kahaani se' was
the most common mistake!

10. Asha -

aapko pyaar meraa yaad jahaan aayegaa
koi kaantaa vohi daaman se lipat jaayegaa

(An Asha song picturized on another Asha aka Ms. Tanpura)

Song : Jaaiye aap kahaaN jaayeNge, yeh nazar laut ke phir aayegi
Singer : Asha Bhonsle
Film : Mere Sanam
*ring : Biswajeet, Asha Parekh, Mumtaz
Music : O. P. Nayyar
Lyrics : Majrooh Sultanpuri

Comments:

Ikram :I used to always laugh uproariously when AshaP does the angDayee in
this song and her kamar would suddenly be perpendicular to her
spine!!! :)

Abhay :How conviniently you forget to mention that OP also deserves an
RJGK on him !

(Renu): Couldn't agree more with you! Reason for not mentioning OPN in the
subclue - same reason why Jaidev was not mentioned for #5 - the clue
would become too easy!

11. Sachin Dev Burman -

Chaahe chhup jaa tu ghataaon mein chandaa
Dhoondh hi legi yeh chakori re

(The name of this movie sounds like our National Song (not anthem)
A typppppical SDB tune)

Song : Gori gori gaoN ki gori re, kis liye bun rahi dori re
Singers : Lata Mangeshkar, Kishore Kumar
Film : Yeh GulistaaN Hamaara
*ring : Dev Anand, Sharmila Tagore
Music : S. D. Burman
Lyrics : Majrooh Sultanpuri (?)

Comments:

(Renu) : I am not quite sure if my clue was incorrect, but a lot of people
wrote asking me if this song was from Vande Mataram. I was always
under the impression that 'sare jahaan se achchha hindustan hamaara'
was our national song. Can someone shed some light on this?
Incidentally this proved to be the toughest clue of them all. Special
thankoo to Ketan, the SDB guru for helping with the clue, and
sacrificing participating in the quiz. :)

12. Yesudas -

palkon ke satrange deepak
ban baithe aansoo ki jhaalar

(An absolutely adorable movie. Basesar Ram from the TV Serial Hum Log
is the music instructor here)

Song : KahaaN se aaye badra, dhulta jaaye kajra
Singers : Yesudas, Haimanti Shukla
Film : Chashm-e-Baddoor
*ring : Farooq Sheikh, Deepti Naval
Music : Rajkamal
Lyrics : Indu Jain

13. Bhool Bisre Geet -

roothi hui yoon na maanegi chhaliyaa
charanon mein raadhaa ke, rakh do muraliyaa

(A C.Ramachandra tune, for Abhay's sake if I may add.)

Song : Na bole na bole na bole re
Singer : Lata Mangeshkar
Film : Azaad
*ring : Dilip Kumar, Meena Kumari
Music : C. Ramachandra
Lyrics : Rajendra Krishan

Comments:

(Renu) : Amidst threats of 'I could kill you for calling this Bhoola', you
should be made to sit alone in a room and be subject to Sridevi's singing
without any earplugs for including this in the Bhoola Bisra category!', I
humbly submit my apologies. :)

14. Naushad -

Hoi gawah man ma more tirchi najar ka halla
gori ko dekhe bina, nindiyan na aaway hamka

(The language itself should be enough of a clue!)

Song : Naen laD jai hai to manva ma kasak hoibe kari
Singer : Mohammad Rafi
Film : Ganga Jamna
*ring : Dilip Kumar, Vyjayantimala
Music : Naushad
Lyrics : Shakeel Badayuni

Comments:

Pintu :BTW, I made a parody of this song, IN Bhojpuri, for a skit, with a
similar scene!!

chheD. kari haiN jo, to jhumakaa bhee Thunak ja-i be karee
sahar kee cheejan to aisan hee sarak ja-i be karee

kaahe tum itanaa bhee gussa ree khaawan lagi haiN
gaaloN ko chooman ko, jhumakaa bhee naachan lagee hai
kaale julphoN meN ye chandaa saa chamak jai be karee

gaaNwa maa naa milat toraa jhumakaa to kaa hu-i hai
sahar maaN jaakar nayaa jhumakaa ham laa da-i haiN
kaan bindhawaaye naa to, kaisan ye aTak ja-i be karee

15. Laxmikant-Pyarelal -

Baat kehte bane kya aadhi raat ko
aankh kholegi baat aadhi raat ko

(Wish we had more duets of the Mangeshkar sisters.)

Song : Man kyooN behka ri behka aadhi raati ko
Singers : Lata Mangeshkar, Asha Bhonsle
Film : Utsav
*ring : Shashi Kapoor, Rekha, Amjad Khan, Neena Gupta, Shekhar Suman
Music : Laxmikant - Pyaarelal
Lyrics : Vasant Dev

16. Manna Dey -

kabhi dekho man nahin jaage
peechhe peechhe sapnon ke bhaage

(A movie with two lyricists.)

Song : Zindagi kaisi hai paheli haay, kabhi to hasaaye, kabhi yeh rulaaye
Singer : Manna Dey
Film : Anand
*ring : Rajesh Khanna, Amitabh Bachhan, Sumita Sanyal
Music : Salil Chowdhury
Lyrics : Yogesh

Comments:

(Renu) :Abhay complained that it was a bad subclue. :( I thought this song
didn't even need a clue in the first place!

17. Hemant Kumar -

bahaaron par karo gussa ulajhti hain jo aankhon se
havaaon par karo gussa jo takraati hain zulfon se

(HK singing for HK's music)

Song : Zara nazroN se keh do jee, nishaana chook na jaaye
Singer : Hemant Kumar
Film : Bees Saal Baad
*ring : Biswajeet, Waheeda Rehman
Music : Hemant Kumar
Lyrics : Shakeel Badayuni

18. Amitabh Bachchan -

zindaa hoon main, tere liye, jeevan teraa hai
meraa hai jo, sab hai teraa, ab kyaa meraa hai

(The 'vazan' and 'soz' in Kishore's voice in this song.. ooof!
There's another version of this song by another singer.)

Song : Jidhar dekhooN teri tasveer nazar aati hai
Singer : Kishore Kumar
Film : Mahaan
*ring : Amitabh Bachhan, Zeenat Aman, Parveen Babi, Waheeda Rehman
Music : R. D. Burman
Lyrics : Indivar (?)

Comments:

(Renu) : The second toughest clue after the SDB one. Most people hadn't heard
this song ever or had heard it just once. Incidentally the other
version that I mentioned in the subclue is the version sung by Amitabh
himself, over the phone to Waheeda.

19. Classical Raagas -

prem deevaani hoon main
sapnon ki raani hoon main

(An rmim favorite. Raag Bhimpalaasi.)

Song : NainoN me badra chhaaye, bijli si chamke haaye
Singer : Lata Mangeshkar
Film : Mera Saaya
*ring : Sunil Dutt, Sadhana
Music : Madan Mohan
Lyrics : Raja Mehdi Ali Khan

Comments:

(Renu) : As someone once said on rmim, (was it Rajan?), 'The Bhimpalasi of all
Bhimpalaasies'.

20. Shanker Jaikishan -

kal tere jalwe paraaye bhi honge,
lekin jhalak mere khwaabon mein hogi

(A relatively subdued song for the 'Junglee Janwar' although not from
either of those two movies)

Song : Dil ke jharoke me tujhko biThaakar, yaadon ko teri main dulhan..
Singer : Mohammad Rafi
Film : Brahmachari
*ring : Shammi Kapoor, Rajshri, Mumtaz
Music : Shankar - Jaikishen
Lyrics : Shailendra

Comments:

Ikram : Subdued???!!! You call banging that poor piano like that subdued!!!
They probably had to replace the keyboard twice or thrice during the
filming of that song.

21. Guldasta - lesser acknowledged female playback singers -

kyaa khaak vo jeenaa hai jo apne hi liye ho
khud mitke kisi aur ko mitne se bachaa le

(Geeta Dutt singing for Geeta Bali. A 'Gamble' with G's or what?)

Song : Tadbeer se bigDi hui taqdeer bana le
Singer : Geeta Dutt
Film : Baazi
*ring : Guru Dutt, Geeta Bali
Music : S. D. Burman
Lyrics : Sahir Ludhianvi

22. Sahir -

sharm roke hai idhar, shauk udhar kheenche hai
kyaa khabar thi kabhi is dil ki ye haalat hogi

(One of the Seven Wonders of the Medieval World)

Song : PaoN chhoo lene do phooloN ko inaayat hogi
Singers : Lata Mangeshkar, Mohammad Rafi
Film : Taj Mahal
*ring : Pradeep Kumar, Beena Rai
Music : Roshan
Lyrics : Sahir Ludhianvi

Comments:

(Renu) : Contrary to what most people thought, Abhay and I had not schemed to
include this song in both of our quizzes. :)

23. Talat Mehmood -

jab gham ka andhera ghir aaye,
samjho ke savera door nahin

(Keats or Byron wrote a poem expressing similar sentiments. Can't
accuse Shailendra of lifting an idea though, can we?)

Song : HaiN sabse madhur woh geet jinhe
Singer : Talat Mehmood
Film : Patita
*ring : Dev Anand, Usha Kiran, Agha
Music : Shankar - Jaikishen
Lyrics : Shailendra

24. Lata - repeat

mehkega sara gulshan hamara
dil ka sahaara bahen teri

(Classical MD duo who debuted with this movie)

Song : Sar se sarke sarke chunariya
Singers : Lata Mangeshkar, Kishore Kumar
Film : Silsila
*ring : Amitabh Bachhan, Shashi Kapoor, Jaya Bhaduri, Rekha, Sanjeev Kumar
Music : Shiv - Hari
Lyrics : Javed Akhtar

Comments:

(Renu) : Everyone guessed the MDs to be Shiv-Hari. But mixed up the song with
'dekha ek khwab to yeh silsile hue'

Now for the winners! *trumpet blasts and other stuff to be inserted here*

An uncanny coincidence that the 10th entry i received, got 10 points, the 15th
got 15 points and ditto with the 20th too. :)

There were 8 teams tied at the 5th position -

1. Pavan Kumar Desikan + U.V. Ravindra - 20/24
2. Samir Ayachi - 20/24
3. Ramki Krishnan + Madhav Rao - 20/24
4. Renu Sah + Sujata Swaminathan - 20/24
5. Chetan Vinchhi - 20/24
6. Shoba & Madan Annavarjula - 20/24
7. Mala Acharya - 20/24
8. Vandana & Mahesh Chaubal - 20/24

There were 4 teams tied at the 4th position -

1. Harmesh Kaur & Surjit Singh - 21/24
2. Shailesh Deshpande - 21/24
3. Prashant Kulkarni - 21/24
4. Srinivasan - 21/24

There were 2 teams tied at the 3rd position -

1. Venkat Mantri + Rajesh Kunjithaya - 22/24
2. Ajit Dandekar + Roopa Dhawan - 22/24

There were 5 teams tied at the 2nd position -

1. Avanidhar Subrahmanyam - 23/24
2. Manish Shah + Sadanand Sahasrabudhe - 23/24
3. Kalyan Kolachala + Atul - 23/24
4. Neeraj Deshmukh + Swapna Gokhale + Indrani - 23/24
5. Ashish Bokil - 23/24

***** And the winners of RJGK-25 are *****

(and we have 5 teams here!)

1. Sridhar Natrajan + Manisha Nigam + Arun Verma - 24/24
2. Prince Kohli + Neeraj Malhotra - 24/24
3. Namrata & Harish Patil with Sharad Chandarana - 24/24
4. Preetham Gopalaswamy + Sami Mohammed - 24/24
5. Balaji & Malini - 24/24

CONGRATULATIONS to all the winners! And a BIG THANK YOU to all of you for
making this quiz such a big success! Once again ALL the winning teams are
joint entries, and only two teams at 2nd place are solo entries. Is Pintu
going to complain again? :)

Congrats and thanks once again and looking forward to RJGK-50! :)

Renu.

Sivakumar Ravada

Aug 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/10/95
In <article 31000> of rth...@cctr.umkc.edu (Renu Thamma) writes:

> The response has been simply overwhelming, and I can only thank all
>the netters for that. The idea of making the quiz relatively simpler was to
>pull in the entries of a large number of rmimers who never get to participate
>cos they lose out to the gurus on the net. There were a total of 47 entries!!
>involving 69 participants, a record for an RJGK!

It seems the small e-mail sessions and making of RJGK guidelines
really worked well!! Good god 69 participants!!
Now, I sure hope it was more than Chitrahaar's participation (forget
off hand how much that was, but that too was pretty lot!)
or else, it will be like RJGK kaa buD.haapaa in bharee jawaanee (13
more booked already) :-))

>The participants in no specific order are :

Do all RJGK compilers get a secret copy of re-hashing program, that
will rehash the list of participants in "no specific order" :-))))
How come I haven't got mine yet? Sami? Abhay? Preetham? Prince?

>1. S. Jagadish
>2. Sridhar Natrajan + Manisha Nigam + Arun Verma
>3. Sridhar Dittakavi
>4. Pavan Kumar Desikan + U.V. Ravindra
>5. Samir Ayachi

[snip]

>7. Mukesh -
>
> Vo aasmaan jhuk rahaa hai zameen par
> Ye milan hamne dekhaa yaheen par
>
> (A super duper hit movie, with amazing songs, by the MD who long
> deserves an RJGK credited to him.)
>
>Song : Suhaana safar aur yeh mausam haseeN
>Singer : Mukesh
>Film : Madhumati
>*ring : Dilip Kumar, Vyjayantimala, Pran
>Music : Salil Chowdhury
>Lyrics : Shailendra

No one had any comments at all for such a lovely song??
:-)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

>(Renu) : I am not quite sure if my clue was incorrect, but a lot of people
> wrote asking me if this song was from Vande Mataram. I was always
> under the impression that 'sare jahaan se achchha hindustan hamaara'
> was our national song. Can someone shed some light on this?

I think 'Vande mataram' is the national song. No 'hard cold facts' to
support it though :-)

>13. Bhool Bisre Geet -
>
> roothi hui yoon na maanegi chhaliyaa
> charanon mein raadhaa ke, rakh do muraliyaa
>

>Comments:
>
>(Renu) : Amidst threats of 'I could kill you for calling this Bhoola', you
>should be made to sit alone in a room and be subject to Sridevi's singing
>without any earplugs for including this in the Bhoola Bisra category!', I
>humbly submit my apologies. :)

So is that why you called it 'BHOOL Bisre Geet' :-))))))))))))

>1. Sridhar Natrajan + Manisha Nigam + Arun Verma - 24/24
>2. Prince Kohli + Neeraj Malhotra - 24/24
>3. Namrata & Harish Patil with Sharad Chandarana - 24/24
>4. Preetham Gopalaswamy + Sami Mohammed - 24/24
>5. Balaji & Malini - 24/24
>
>CONGRATULATIONS to all the winners! And a BIG THANK YOU to all of you for
>making this quiz such a big success! Once again ALL the winning teams are
>joint entries, and only two teams at 2nd place are solo entries. Is Pintu
>going to complain again? :)

Yes :-))) but not going to ask any more Uttaraas :-))))))

All in All, Congratulations for the Silver Jubilee, and the Maximum
(?) participation.

-- Pintu Diwana

Sivakumar Ravada

Aug 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/10/95

Hi all,
This is specially for RJGK compilers of the past present and future and
any one else who may have some suggestions.

The RJGK-26 is supposed to be on Vividh Bharati conducted by yours
truly!!

Not becoz Mohan Rathore is organising the next RJGK (27) on Bharat
Bhrama.N, but I have made last minute plans to ACTUALLY do Bharat
Bhrama.N on 26th August. I will be coming back on 19th Sep.

The help I need is this:
Is it feasible to conduct an RJGK, post the quiz, go to India and
come after 3 weeks to post teh results.
What about clarification in betwwen, reposts etc?
Sitting in Jaipur, I won't have much of RMIM contact or daily doze!!

Or shud I switch the RJGK with Mohan Rathore?
Mohan, wud u have enuf time to compile etc? I can take RJGK-27 to do
and you can do 26, if that is okay for you.

Please email me your suggestins or send on the net. And Mohan, can you
please respond by email as well, I don't have ur addr.

-- Pintu Diwana
pankh hai isliye uD. jaa-ooN re!!!

PS: Abhay, watch out! I am coming to ur office to read RMIM on 29/30 of
Aug!!

Neeraj Malhotra

Aug 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/11/95
In <article 31000> of rth...@cctr.umkc.edu (Renu Thamma) writes:

>(Renu) : I am not quite sure if my clue was incorrect, but a lot of people
> wrote asking me if this song was from Vande Mataram. I was always
> under the impression that 'sare jahaan se achchha hindustan hamaara'
> was our national song. Can someone shed some light on this?

> (PD) I think 'Vande mataram' is the national song. No 'hard cold facts' to
support it though :-)

NO.
'Saare Jahan Se Acchha' has always been our National Song.

Pintu, aap jaa hi rahen hain apne vatan, to confirm hi kar aayega,
for everyone, or we can ask our RMIMers who are in India right
now to please confirm. With 15th Aug around the corner, should be
easy.

- Neeraj Malhotra.

Sivakumar Ravada

Aug 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/11/95
Hi all,

The RJGK-26 was supposed to be on Vividh Bharati conducted by yours
truly!!

Not becoz Mohan Rathore is organising the next RJGK (27) on Bharat
Bhrama.N, but I have made last minute plans to ACTUALLY do Bharat
Bhrama.N on 26th August. I will be coming back on 19th Sep.

And good old Mohan has very readily agrred to switch the RJGK's with
me. Apparently, he has been working on it for some time already, so
couple of weeks shud be enuf for him to finish up the rest of it.

So, the current modifications are:
RJGK 26 : last week of Aug?: Mohan Rathore : Bharat Bhrama.N
RJGK 27 : last week of Sep : Pintu Diwana : Vividh Bharati Tribute

Please note the above changes, All netters and Sami, Prince (for faq etc)

Mohan, can you please confirm this on net as well, lest they think, I
am making up stories :-)))))

-- Pintu Diwana
What a relief!

Shivkumar Ragunathan

Aug 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/12/95
In article <Pine.SUN.3.90.950811124949.233v-100000@tssun4-24> malh...@bedford.progress.COM (Neeraj Malhotra) writes:
>In <article 31000> of rth...@cctr.umkc.edu (Renu Thamma) writes:
>
>>==============================================================================
>>
>>(Renu) : I am not quite sure if my clue was incorrect, but a lot of people
>> wrote asking me if this song was from Vande Mataram. I was always
>> under the impression that 'sare jahaan se achchha hindustan hamaara'
>> was our national song. Can someone shed some light on this?
>
>> (PD) I think 'Vande mataram' is the national song. No 'hard cold facts' to
> support it though :-)
>
> NO.
AFAIK, 'Vande mataram' is the national song. Pakka!
In fact it narrowly missed being the national anthem. It was more
popular, had a stronger link with the freedom movement but got
involved in communal controversies. Hence it was given the special
status of national song. AFAIK 'Saare Jahan Se Acchha' has no
official status despite its popularity and nice tune.

> 'Saare Jahan Se Acchha' has always been our National Song.
>
> Pintu, aap jaa hi rahen hain apne vatan, to confirm hi kar aayega,
> for everyone, or we can ask our RMIMers who are in India right
> now to please confirm. With 15th Aug around the corner, should be
> easy.
>
> - Neeraj Malhotra.

- Kalyan

Guri Singh

Aug 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/12/95
Neeraj Malhotra wrote:

>>(Renu) I was always under the impression that 'sare jahaan se achchha

>>hindustan hamaara' was our national song.

>> (PD) I think 'Vande mataram' is the national song.

(Neeraj)
> NO.

> 'Saare Jahan Se Acchha' has always been our National Song.

==>Bankim Chandra's Vande Maataram *is* our National Song and was given
that title partly to calm down some staunch followers of Subhash
Chandra Bose and his ideologies (apparantly there was a big hoopla over
whether this should replace *Jana Gana Mana* as the National ANTHEM.)

I personally love the lyricism in Vande Maatram, and both the Anand
Math melody and the slower Ravi Shankar composition for AIR do equally
great justice to the words.

guri

..hoping to share more after the 19th. :)

Sunil Kabra

Aug 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/12/95
In article <Pine.SUN.3.90.950811124949.233v-100000@tssun4-24>, malh...@bedford.progress.COM (Neeraj Malhotra) writes...

>In <article 31000> of rth...@cctr.umkc.edu (Renu Thamma) writes:
>
>>==============================================================================
>>
>>(Renu) : I am not quite sure if my clue was incorrect, but a lot of people
>> wrote asking me if this song was from Vande Mataram. I was always
>> under the impression that 'sare jahaan se achchha hindustan hamaara'
>> was our national song. Can someone shed some light on this?
>
>> (PD) I think 'Vande mataram' is the national song. No 'hard cold facts' to
> support it though :-)
>
> NO.
> 'Saare Jahan Se Acchha' has always been our National Song.

As far as I remember, 'Vande Mataram' was and is our National Song and I
don't think they have plans to change it in near future. 'Saare Jahan se
achcha' is just a deshbhakti ka geet.

Sunil

Kuntal Shah

Aug 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/12/95

>> 7. Mukesh -
>>
>> Vo aasmaan jhuk rahaa hai zameen par Ye milan hamne dekhaa
>> yaheen par
>>
>> (A super duper hit movie, with amazing songs, by the MD who
>> long deserves an RJGK credited to him.)
>>
>> Song : Suhaana safar aur yeh mausam haseeN Singer : Mukesh Film
>> : Madhumati *ring : Dilip Kumar, Vyjayantimala, Pran Music :
>> Salil Chowdhury Lyrics : Shailendra

PD> No one had any comments at all for such a lovely song??
PD> :-)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

That was because

"humeN dar hai hum kho na jaye kahiN !!

-Kuntal.

Kuntal Shah

Aug 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/12/95

Kalyan> AFAIK, 'Vande mataram' is the national song. Pakka! In
Kalyan> fact it narrowly missed being the national anthem. It was
Kalyan> more popular, had a stronger link with the freedom
Kalyan> movement but got involved in communal controversies. Hence
Kalyan> it was given the special status of national song. AFAIK
Kalyan> 'Saare Jahan Se Acchha' has no official status despite its
Kalyan> popularity and nice tune.

Another reason why Vande Mataram was not selected as national anthem
was because it was difficult to set it to police band kind of tune.
That time it was sung in different ways by different people.

Sare jahaaN se achchha might have lost because the shayar belonged to
Pakistan by then.

-Kuntal.

Kuntal Shah

Aug 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/12/95

Guri> ==>Bankim Chandra's Vande Maataram *is* our National Song
Guri> and was given that title partly to calm down some staunch
Guri> followers of Subhash Chandra Bose and his ideologies
Guri> (apparantly there was a big hoopla over whether this should
Guri> replace *Jana Gana Mana* as the National ANTHEM.)

Let me clarify there was no such hoopla. Before indepenence there
was no national anthem. Indian national congress always sang Vande
Matram at beginning of the session. After Inependence, when people
felt that we should have a national anthem, Gandhiji wanted Vande
Mataram.

Recently I read somewhere that Jana Gana mana was "possibly" written
as welcome for King George "Bharat Bhagyavidhata". Although, Tagore
denied it.

Could be one of those issues where Nehru and Gandhiji differed. Or could
be because of pressure from Tagore - lovers that "Jana gana mana" won.

Now I wonder whether it is wise to continue this thread on RMIM.

-Kuntal.

U.V. Ravindra

Aug 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/12/95
to Neeraj Malhotra
Neeraj Malhotra <malh...@bedford.progress.COM> writes:

>> (Renu) : I am not quite sure if my clue was incorrect, but a
>> lot of people wrote asking me if this song was from Vande
>> Mataram. I was always under the impression that 'sare jahaan se
>> achchha hindustan hamaara' was our national song. Can someone
>> shed some light on this?

>> (PD) I think 'Vande mataram' is the national song. No 'hard
>> cold facts' to

-> support it though :-)

-> NO. 'Saare Jahan Se Acchha' has always been our National
-> Song.

-> Pintu, aap jaa hi rahen hain apne vatan, to confirm hi kar
-> aayega, for everyone, or we can ask our RMIMers who are in
-> India right now to please confirm. With 15th Aug around the
-> corner, should be easy.

-> - Neeraj Malhotra.

Vande Mataram is the national song. The reason why
the daily broadcast of the AIR starts with Vande Mataram. It was even
a candidate for the National Anthem, but I guess Rabindranath Tagore
beat Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay to the finish line by a narrow
margin. Some political reason, which I don't quite know, nor ever
cared for.

Saare JahaaN se Achchhaa is a 'patriotic song', period.

"Jai Hind" is the Nation al Slogan, which is why every AIR broadcast
of the day ends with a Jai Hind.

Just FYI.

Ravindra.
An RM_Indian_M-er! ;-)))

Neeraj Malhotra

Aug 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/14/95
Hi RMIMers !

> >> (PD) I think 'Vande mataram' is the national song. No 'hard
> >> cold facts' to
> -> support it though :-)
>
> -> NO. 'Saare Jahan Se Acchha' has always been our National
> -> Song.

OK, I take my 'NO' back :). Now that so many people have
confirmed that Vande Matram *IS* and *WAS* our National Song.

I had written that 'NO' with a lot of authority based on info
from a recent Student from India. Am I trying to put the blame on
someone else ? :) No. Just stating the facts.

Well wrong that I was, at least it did help in cracking the RJGK
clue :).

- Neeraj Malhotra.

Ashok

Aug 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/15/95
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> -Kuntal.

Iqbal died in 1938.

Ashok

U.V Ravindra

Aug 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/15/95
kun...@india.ti.com (Kuntal Shah) wrote:

=> > Another reason why Vande Mataram was not selected as national anthem
=> > was because it was difficult to set it to police band kind of tune.
=> > That time it was sung in different ways by different people.
=> > Saare jahaaN se achchaa might have lost because the shaayar
=> > belonged to Pakistan by then.

If I remember my history right, even 'saare jahaaN se achchhaa' was in
the contention for the National Anthem slot. The current tune to
which 'saare jahaaN se achchhaa' is sung/played now, is not a very
"police band" tune, though all (military/police) bands do play it.

Actually, Lata Mangeshkar has sung a version of the 'saare jahaaN se
achchhaa' which *does* sound like a "police band" tune. Although the
beauty of the song is lost ... I rather think the tune was set by
Hridaynath ...

It's set to some raaga belonging to the 'bilaawal/kalyaaN' class, and goes
thus:
saa~re jahaaN se achchhaa, hin~do-sitaaN hamaa~raa
G m P D D P DP G G G G P S" N DND P

ham bulbuleiN haiN is~ kee, yeh~ gulsitaaN hamaaraa~~
P D S"S" N R"S" ND N D PM M M M M P MG

The system I've followed here is the same as Kedar Naphade's Raag and
Geet series' system. The 'M' refers to teevra 'M' and 'm' to the
komal 'm' ... I dunno the name of the raaga.

Thus, it could not be purely musical reasons for why 'saare jahaaN se
achchhaa' lost out in the battle for becoming the National Anthem.

In article <40r6th$p...@minerva.worldbank.org>
Ashok <ADhar...@WorldBank.org> writes:

=> > Sare jahaaN se achchha might have lost because the shayar belonged to
=> > Pakistan by then.
=> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
=> > -Kuntal.
=> >
=>
=> Iqbal died in 1938.
=>
=> Ashok

But Iqbal had, long before 1938, joined Jinnah and his cronies and was
one of the foremost propounders of the idea of Pakistan. Ironical,
but true. This *is*, perhaps, the reason why Nehru was one of the
people who dismissed the idea of 'saare jahaaN se achchhaa' as the
National Anthem.

Ravindra.

Mohan Rathore

Aug 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/15/95
rava...@gold.tc.umn.edu (Sivakumar Ravada) writes:

>Hi all,

>So, the current modifications are:
> RJGK 26 : last week of Aug?: Mohan Rathore : Bharat Bhrama.N
> RJGK 27 : last week of Sep : Pintu Diwana : Vividh Bharati Tribute

>Mohan, can you please confirm this on net as well, lest they think, I

>am making up stories :-)))))

Yup... Diwana is making stories... And making me play them on the stage
while himself going background :-) Don't worry Pintu...tu bechaaraa
resposibilities ke bojh kaa maaraa... tujhko chaahiye Hamdard kaa tonic
sinkara. Hamdard to mai.N hu.N lekin tonic tujhe Desh me.N hi milegaa.

Well for the RMIMers... I am conducting the RJGK-26...subject had to be
changed. I am compiling the quiz, now that Pintu has given me the
responsiblity. I will post it as soon as it is done.

Mohan

Pradeep Dubey

Aug 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/18/95

|> > Kalyan> AFAIK, 'Vande mataram' is the national song. Pakka! In
|> > Kalyan> fact it narrowly missed being the national anthem. It was
|> > Kalyan> more popular, had a stronger link with the freedom
|> > Kalyan> movement but got involved in communal controversies. Hence
|> > Kalyan> it was given the special status of national song. AFAIK
|> > Kalyan> 'Saare Jahan Se Acchha' has no official status despite its
|> > Kalyan> popularity and nice tune.
|> >
|> > Another reason why Vande Mataram was not selected as national anthem
|> > was because it was difficult to set it to police band kind of tune.
|> > That time it was sung in different ways by different people.

"Vande Mataram" was set to a 'police band' tune by Hemant Kumar
in 'Anandmath'. The version is sung by Lata and chorus.

Pradeep