Giriraj Sudha

Shubhayan Kabir

Jun 7, 2010, 12:27:12 PM6/7/10
Can anyone post the lyrics of "Giriraja Sudha tanaya tanaya", it's a
carnatic compo, possibly close to raag tilak kamal

M. Suresh

Jun 7, 2010, 1:29:36 PM6/7/10
On 07/06/10 17:27, Shubhayan Kabir wrote:

> Can anyone post the lyrics of "Giriraja Sudha tanaya tanaya", it's a
> carnatic compo, possibly close to raag tilak kamal

Here:

http://www.karnatik.com/c2340.shtml

Also, it's Giriraja suta tanaya sadaya (very rough transliteration).
Sudha means nectar which doesn't make sense. "Giriraja suta tanaya"
literally translates to "son of the daughter of the mountain king"; in
other words, an indirect way of referring to Ganesha.

Incidentally, even though the above site says that the language of the
composition is Telugu, a perusal of the lyrics suggests Sanskrit to me.
Can anybody clarify?

Shubhayan Kabir

Jun 7, 2010, 10:54:00 PM6/7/10

It does for sure sound like a reference to Ganesha, i don't have much
knowledge of Telugu or Sanskrit, but as far as my belief, i thought
Telugu was far more complex, but this looks pretty comprehensible!

M. Suresh

Jun 8, 2010, 3:51:58 AM6/8/10

> It does for sure sound like a reference to Ganesha, i don't have much
> knowledge of Telugu or Sanskrit, but as far as my belief, i thought
> Telugu was far more complex, but this looks pretty comprehensible!

I am not sure what you mean by "Telugu was far more complex." However,
by all accounts, the term "Giriraja suta" *is* a reference to Ganesha.
The language, I suspect, *is* Sanskrit. The overwhelming majority of
Thyagaraja's compositions are in Telugu which might explain the
"mistake." Since my post y'day, I have discovered the following page
which gives a line-by-line explanation of the lyrics and also gives the
language as Sanskrit:

http://sahityam.net/wiki/Girirajasuta_tanaya

M. Suresh

Jun 8, 2010, 4:02:04 AM6/8/10
On 08/06/10 08:51, M. Suresh wrote:

> by all accounts, the term "Giriraja suta" *is* a reference to Ganesha.

Oops, sorry, that should be "Girirajasuta tanaya"; "Girirajasuta" simply
means the mountain king's daughter, or, Parvati.

Shubhayan Kabir

Jun 8, 2010, 7:21:52 AM6/8/10

ok! i'm sorry! i take that back! what i meant is i'm more closely
acquainted with the languages which follow from sanskrit! :)

Shubhayan Kabir

Jun 8, 2010, 7:26:24 AM6/8/10

oh god i don't know where you found all this! but thanx for all that
info! i just fell in love recently with this song, and it's a
masterpiece! u've heard the Violin Prodigies version??? L.Shankar, L.
Subramaniam, L. Vaidyanathan, Oh my god!!!

Shubhayan Kabir

Jun 8, 2010, 7:33:14 AM6/8/10

and the version that actually got me listening to it is the one by
"Remember Shakti", Shankar Mahadevan, Zakir Hussain, U. Srinivas, A.K.
Pallanivel V. Selvaganesh and John McLaughlin

UVR

Jun 10, 2010, 11:51:00 PM6/10/10

Not to criticize your musical preference (for, as they say, the
gustibus is not disputandumable), but that particular rendition of
"giriraajasutaatanaya") is an outstanding example of how there is
absolutely no guarantee that the coming together of artistes who are
stalwarts (or, at any rate, experts) in their respective fields of
endeavor will yield results of any worthwhile quality.

-UVR.