Bhavani jagat janani

Havanur

Feb 5, 2010, 1:17:44 AM2/5/10
As far as I can make out the words are

bhavaani jagat janani
taariNi dukh haariNi
mujh ko tu aaadhaar
smarata tava yugal charaNa
paap taap shaman hota
Taansen gaat naam ..... ?

Check it out anyway. http://www.mediafire.com/file/ztyjuodjm51/Bhavani
jagat janani.mp3

Havanur

Manohar

Feb 5, 2010, 10:04:55 AM2/5/10

Yes I was surprised when someone posted about it's Marathi origin.
Bhimsen and many vocalists do sing Bhavani.

naniwadekar

Feb 5, 2010, 8:57:32 PM2/5/10

> bhavaani jagat janani
> taariNi dukh haariNi
> mujh ko tu aaadhaar
> smarata tava yugal charaNa
> paap taap shaman hota
> Taansen gaat naam ..... ?

'smarataa tava yugala charaNa' is a Marathi line. Change a word or two
here and this becomes a Hindi bandish, a word or two there and it
becomes a Marathi bandish, another change of a word or two and, like
unisex clothes, it becomes a uni(versal) language bandish. If singers
can sing a Punjabi or Hindi bandish without understanding its meaning
or without understanding which language it is in, as they frequently
do, why not in Marathi or Gujarathi or pretty much any other language?

While at it, Veena Sahasrabuddhe's Rhythm House Release of Hamsdhwani
uses a Sanskrit bandish (viharati brahma_nandinii), and a Dagar
release of Bageshri compositions in Dhrupad and Khayal has a Dhrupad
piece presenting a Sanskrrit (ashtapadi) composition by Jayadeva.

- dn

Vishwaroopa Sharma

Feb 5, 2010, 9:45:30 PM2/5/10

Smarata Tava Yugala Charana is well acceptable in the older dialects
of modern Hindi. "Smarata" is a term similar to "Dekhata", "Sochata",
"Karata (singaara)" etc in its formation. Tava (or Te) is a famous
Sanskrit word which is the singular possessive case of "Tvam" (you).
Yugala and Charana are popular words (could be used in any Indian
languages).

And it is too common in Tanseni compositions to use many of the
Sanskrit terms.

While almost everybody agrees that a bandish could of any language (of
course with a "singable" flexibility); I wonder why dn is after
proving this is a Marathi text.

~
VS

C Parthapratim

Feb 5, 2010, 10:07:19 PM2/5/10

> While almost everybody agrees that a bandish could of any language (of
> course with a "singable" flexibility); I wonder why dn is after
> proving this is a Marathi text.
>
> ~
> VS

He He! Meet "dn". That's how he is.

naniwadekar

Feb 5, 2010, 11:50:39 PM2/5/10
On Feb 5, 6:45 pm, Vishwaroopa Sharma wrote:

> > > smarataa tava yugal charaNa
> > > paap taap shaman hota
>

> Smarata Tava Yugala Charana is well acceptable in the older dialects
> of modern Hindi. "Smarata" is a term similar to "Dekhata", "Sochata",
> "Karata (singaara)" etc in its formation.

I do not think 'smarataa tava charaNa' or 'dekhataa tav charaNa' is
acceptable in Hindi. I cannot recall any examples where 'huu.N' in
'jab mai.n charaNa dekhataa huu.N, tab paap shaman hotaa hai' is
dropped, even in the context of a poem or geet.

I am sure UVR (and perhaps Abhay Phadnis, too) is reading this thread
and I am also pinging Sushil Sharma to check whether the lines quoted
above constitute correct (or even 'passable') Hindi.

- dn

Abhay

Feb 6, 2010, 1:31:55 AM2/6/10
On Feb 6, 6:57 am, naniwadekar <nani3ski...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > bhavaani jagat janani
> > taariNi dukh haariNi
> > mujh ko tu aaadhaar
> > smarata tava yugal charaNa
> > paap taap shaman hota
> > Taansen gaat naam ..... ?
>
> 'smarataa tava yugala charaNa' is a Marathi line. Change a word or two

the unmistakable "mujh ko" in the mukhaDaa (at 3:06 in the recording
uploaded in the first post - thanks a ton for that, Havanur!) confirms
it is Hindi.

The confustion arises because BJ sings the first word of the antaraa
as "smara*taa*" (which would indeed make it Marathi). My guess is that
the word is "smara*ta*" (perfectly acceptable in Hindi) which BJ has
sung as "smara*taa*". AFAIK, "smara*taa*" is not valid in Hindi.

Warm regards,
Abhay

naniwadekar

Feb 6, 2010, 3:03:19 AM2/6/10
On Feb 5, 10:31 pm, Abhay wrote:

> The confustion arises because BJ sings the first word of the antaraa
> as "smara*taa*" (which would indeed make it Marathi). My guess is that
> the word is "smara*ta*" (perfectly acceptable in Hindi) which BJ has
> sung as "smara*taa*". AFAIK, "smara*taa*" is not valid in Hindi.

I agree with your take.

That there are lines in the composition which are unmistakably in
Hindi (as in, not in Marathi) is not in doubt. That is why I had
written that a word or two would need to be changed to make it a
(pure-)Marathi bandish. If assorted dolts, led by Vishwaroopa Sharma,
ascribe to me things which I never said and parade their knowledge
that 'charana' is a popular word which fits any language, I would just
like to humbly thank Sharma for letting me know that 'charana' is a
popular word, 'tava' is a famous Sanskrit word, water is wet, and
glaciers in Rajasthan are melting at an alarming rate.

While 'smarata tava yugala charaNa - paapa taapa shamana hota' would
fit both Hindi and Marathi, these lines bring together two disparate
things a tad haphazardly. But 'smarataa' establishes a very direct
relationship between the two lines and binds them tightly. I am not
suggesting that the word must be 'smarataa' because of this reason.
Just for argument's sake, if 'naa maanoge to duu.Ngii tohe gaalii
re' (a song in the Marathi film 'Nivdung') can have lines alternating
between Hindi and Marathi, why not 'bhavaanii jagatajananii' ?

I heard this bandish from Bhimsen in a mehfil just once IIRC, or at
most twice, but read its mention in a few concert reports later. It
was the antara which had made me wonder (nay, conclude) that the
bandish was in Marathi. Once seen that way, nothing happened for rest
of the recital to suggest that my guess was wrong. Hence my mention of
it in the discussion.

- dn

naniwadekar

Feb 6, 2010, 3:21:35 AM2/6/10
On Feb 5, 10:31 pm, Abhay wrote:

> the unmistakable "mujh ko" in the mukhaDaa (at 3:06 in the recording
> uploaded in the first post - thanks a ton for that, Havanur!) confirms
> it is Hindi.

Also, Bhimsen says 'dukh', not 'duHkh' or 'du:kh', and despite the
usage 'sukha-kartaa dukha-hartaa' in the most popular Marathi Ganesh
Arati, 'dukh' is not a Marathi word IMO.

Thanks, indeed, to Havanur for uploading the (so-so) recording.

- dn

Vishwaroopa Sharma

Feb 6, 2010, 3:52:35 AM2/6/10

What I'm seeing throughout your posts is your ignorance. Added to that
you are trying to defend the indefensible.

Indeed ignorance is a bliss. For you, it is, because you harly get a
chance to take things honestly; for me, it is because, you are
unalterable.

Jiyo hazaro saal.

~
VS

Vishwaroopa Sharma

Feb 6, 2010, 4:45:48 AM2/6/10

*
Minor correction: ......because you har*d*ly get a....

Manohar

Feb 6, 2010, 9:41:12 AM2/6/10

I have heard Girijadevi sing this bandish. I am not sure if she knows
Marathi.

C Parthapratim

Feb 6, 2010, 1:34:50 PM2/6/10

The fact is simpler I believe. The bandish is in Hindi, mostly derived
from Sanskrit "stotra" and in BJ's usual accent some words sound
Marathi. It happens. The words in question are perfectly acceptable in
all the languages of this group. "Tava" is accepted in Bangla too,
vide our National Anthem if you have doubt, Tagore wasn't Marathi
after all.. Why so much ...

naniwadekar

Feb 6, 2010, 2:54:13 PM2/6/10
On Feb 6, 10:34 am, C Parthapratim wrote:

> The fact is simpler I believe. The bandish is in Hindi, mostly derived
> from Sanskrit "stotra" and in BJ's usual accent some words sound
> Marathi. It happens.

Actually it is a Sanskrit Stotra derived from a Marathi stotra, and
then further modified with a sprinkling of Hindi words to give Dravid
parties an excuse to try to ban its performance in Chennai.

And Bhimsen's usual Marathi accent makes several Marathi words sound
like Kannada.

Seriously, though, Bhimsen is not as fluent a Marathi speaker as a
native like Vasantrao Deshpande. There is no shame in that because
Vasantrao was a terrific speaker and a learned man. Bhimsen can never
speak as insightfully on music (or on anything else, except perhaps
his pride in his mastery of car mechanics) as Vasatrao. People who
happen to know no language other than Marathi also tend to be far less
fluent at it than Vasantrao, because fluency at a language does not
come easily to most people. But there also exists lack of fluency
which arises due to the language not being the first language of the
speaker, and this applies to some extent to Bhimsen. Bhimsen is
almost, but not quite, passable as a native Marathi speaker. 'Close
but no cigar' type. One has to be on one's guard, almost 'go looking
for it', to spot rough spots in Bhimsen's Marathi, but such rough
spots do exist.

Boys, please discuss the following topic without sounding clueless or
foolish.
Bhimsen speaks tolerably well (to sometimes very well) on music but he
has to rely a lot on his stature as a singer than the intrinsic merit
of his words.

- dn

Manohar

Feb 6, 2010, 6:00:39 PM2/6/10

Yes one has to look at the entire bandish.

BTW some one said Maalvika is Marathi word.

Imnot Apadmashri

Feb 6, 2010, 10:03:52 PM2/6/10
On Feb 7, 4:00 am, Manohar <manohar.bo...@gmail.com> recalled:

> BTW some one said Maalvika is Marathi word.

Of course, kaka! (दिवा) मालवते ती मालविका!

DG

Manohar

Feb 6, 2010, 11:01:32 PM2/6/10

or is it Maal Vika. ( Sell goods )

Umesh

Feb 9, 2010, 4:24:43 AM2/9/10

Dear All,

Since we are on Subject of Todi, in Sawai fest Pt. Raja Kale sang drut
bandish "Eri mai aaj shubh mangal gaao". Is it composition of
Gunigandharva i.e. Laxmanprasad Jaipurwale? If so does anybody have it
rendered by Laxmanprasadji by chance?

Best Regards,

Umesh

Imnot Apadmashri

Feb 9, 2010, 8:39:39 AM2/9/10
On Feb 9, 2:24 pm, Umesh <umeshsonta...@gmail.com> asked about:

> bandish "Eri mai aaj shubh mangal gaao".

Don't know about Laxmanprasadji, but I remember Bhimsenji's 45rpm

DG

concept...@gmail.com

Jun 23, 2017, 2:08:53 AM6/23/17
Thanks for the lyrics shared by you.

As far as I understood, this may be the complete lyrics perhaps.
I thought of sharing with you as a few words I was not getting were cleard by this post of yours.

> Bhavaani jagat janani
> TaariNi dukh haariNi
> Mujh ko tu aaadhaar

> Smarata tava yugal charaNa
> Paap taap shaman hota
> Taansen gaat naam yug sanharini

bisil...@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2017, 8:35:32 PM9/2/17
As a Kannadiga who was introduced to music by Bhimanna, I am grateful to Nani Wadekar's generous acknowledgement that B's Marathi is tinged by Kannada. I would say his Hindi is, too.